Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
That's....incredible. I guess since Y2K fashion is back, we'll see a gross resurgence of hair chopsticks and shirts with messages in "Chinese".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Aww hell yeah I've still got a bunch of those in the cupboard just waiting for the day they can be worn again.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fakeass Chinese alphabet taken straight off the wall of a Florida tattoo parlor

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
brb gonna tattoo a chinese menu on myself

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

peanut posted:

Fakeass Chinese alphabet taken straight off the wall of a Florida tattoo parlor

The Rosetta stone of our age, researchers in 20000 years are going to be extatic.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That's....incredible. I guess since Y2K fashion is back, we'll see a gross resurgence of hair chopsticks and shirts with messages in "Chinese".

Holy poo poo, this was a thing!?!

I thought my buddy that did that for awhile came up with it on their own or something.

Then again, their interest was Japanese stuff, not Chinese, so maybe it was just a coincidence?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Rabelais D posted:

It's not wrong though. It's technically an alphabet in Chinese, using Chinese graphs as symbols for phonemes.

This you?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Zarin posted:

Holy poo poo, this was a thing!?!

I remember the hairbuns, pumpkin spice and poo poo shirts

Nothing about chopsticks though

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

#3 heree: https://www.mic.com/articles/120779/here-are-the-cultural-appropriating-outfits-it-s-time-to-retire-for-good

(lmao wow some of these outfits)

I remember seeing this in Delias's catalogs and the like back in the late 90s. Claire's definitely sold "hair chopsticks" and I remember a Seventeen magazine blurbicle that recommended getting chopsticks from a Chinese restaurant for free instead of buying hair sticks. I guess it's more the weird "Asian" aesthetic that accompanies it.

(Disclaimer: I know hair sticks and chopsticks are not the same thing and that hair sticks are found in many cultures, but I definitely remember seeing these when there was a rise in weird Asian appropriation fashion, like the aforementioned weird "Asian character" shirts and mandarin-collar dresses. Which you only ever saw modeled by blonde white models. And they were for sure called "hair chopsticks" on packaging sometimes.)

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 2, 2022

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

#3 heree: https://www.mic.com/articles/120779/here-are-the-cultural-appropriating-outfits-it-s-time-to-retire-for-good

(lmao wow some of these outfits)

I remember seeing this in Delias's catalogs and the like back in the late 90s. Claire's definitely sold "hair chopsticks" and I remember a Seventeen magazine blurbicle that recommended getting chopsticks from a Chinese restaurant for free instead of buying hair sticks. I guess it's more the weird "Asian" aesthetic that accompanies it.

(Disclaimer: I know hair sticks and chopsticks are not the same thing and that hair sticks are found in many cultures, but I definitely remember seeing these when there was a rise in weird Asian appropriation fashion, like the aforementioned weird "Asian character" shirts and mandarin-collar dresses. Which you only ever saw modeled by blonde white models. And they were for sure called "hair chopsticks" on packaging sometimes.)

lmao that article, just wow

I mean, my buddy was like turbo-weeb, used the chopsticks in the hair, then used them to eat lunch, wiped them off, and put them back there.

lmao

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Zarin posted:

I mean, my buddy was like turbo-weeb, used the chopsticks in the hair, then used them to eat lunch, wiped them off, and put them back there.

What's his SA account

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

It's an interesting experiment in graphology that might have been the point of the class, not necessarily "this is how Chinese works", we don't know, so yeah that is me

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

WarpedNaba posted:

What's his SA account

r guy

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Rabelais D posted:

It's an interesting experiment in graphology that might have been the point of the class, not necessarily "this is how Chinese works", we don't know, so yeah that is me

It's labeled "Chinese Alphabet" and was given to a 3rd grader. Your bending over backwards to make a case for a really dumb thing.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Zarin posted:

lmao that article, just wow

lmao

american ones are hairy

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Happy Year of the Water Tiger China Thread people!

May it's roar bring only joy, happiness and fun times for all.

The new mascot for lying flat looks chill as hell.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
man is the sad tiger stamps a thing or is it just propaganda?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

And America is completely unable to draw tigers in the first place.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Here's Japan's shameful display:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

lmao

"heyyyyyy"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

McGavin posted:

I think that's very cute.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Thank you for doing the needful. I love Korean derp tigers.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also Japan:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tigers are so hard to draw that Canada didn't even bother. This is what we got for Year of the Pig though:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Going hog wild:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

McGavin posted:

Tigers are so hard to draw that Canada didn't even bother. This is what we got for Year of the Pig though:

is that pig curling

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

McGavin posted:

What on earth is happening to that anatomy

It's like the artist can't decide which way anything should be facing

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

McGavin posted:

Going hog wild:

Big "Summer of George" vibes.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

McGavin posted:

McGavin posted:

Going hog wild:

Amazing avatar/post combos here

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pig is from Journey to the West

Tigers are from classic and traditional crafts

More Korea weed tigers plz

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Tomn posted:

What on earth is happening to that anatomy

It's like the artist can't decide which way anything should be facing

i mean, it's consistent if the pig is facing away from the frame, head turned right, with its left hand holding the rake behind its back

still looks like poo poo though

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

McGavin posted:

Forgive the stupid question:

But what is this characters name? In the English Dub of Monkey, (the coolest TV version of Journey to the West), his name was "Pigsy". But that surely can't be his real name.

Just as Monkey's real name was Sun WuKong.

And whichever kind heart answers this stupid question, I would also like to know the real name of the character I knew as "Sandy", (the kappa).

I again apologize for my ignorance, and laziness in not just looking this poo poo up.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive the stupid question:

But what is this characters name? In the English Dub of Monkey, (the coolest TV version of Journey to the West), his name was "Pigsy". But that surely can't be his real name.

Just as Monkey's real name was Sun WuKong.

And whichever kind heart answers this stupid question, I would also like to know the real name of the character I knew as "Sandy", (the kappa).

I again apologize for my ignorance, and laziness in not just looking this poo poo up.

Zhu Bajie, which translates out to something like "Pig of the Eight Prohibitions." The other is Sha Wujing, which comes out to "Sand Aware of Purity." In both cases the first character is just "pig" and "sand," and the last two characters are some Buddhist principle or other (since they were given those names by Guanying when they agreed to become disciples of Tangzang.)

So yeah, "Pigsy" and "Sandy" honestly aren't far off.

(Incidentally calling someone "Zhu Bajie" is still a common way for someone to be accused of laziness, gluttony, etc.)

Edit: It should be no surprise that Pigsy breaks almost every one of the Eight Prohibitions along Journey to the West.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i mean, it's consistent if the pig is facing away from the frame, head turned right, with its left hand holding the rake behind its back

still looks like poo poo though

Ahh, the left foot was what threw me off - it looked like a right foot facing forward at first to me.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 4, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tomn posted:

Zhu Bajie, which translates out to something like "Pig of the Eight Prohibitions." The other is Sha Wujing, which comes out to "Sand Aware of Purity." In both cases the first character is just "pig" and "sand," and the last two characters are some Buddhist principle or other (since they were given those names by Guanying when they agreed to become disciples of Tangzang.)

So yeah, "Pigsy" and "Sandy" honestly aren't far off.

(Incidentally calling someone "Zhu Bajie" is still a common way for someone to be accused of laziness, gluttony, etc.)

Edit: It should be no surprise that Pigsy breaks almost every one of the Eight Prohibitions along Journey to the West.

Ahh, the left foot was what threw me off - it looked like a right foot facing forward at first to me.

Thank you for this.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Zhu Bajie rules because like 50% of the times the crew gets in trouble in Journey to the West, it's because of Bajie chasing booze, food, or pussy.

The remainder is demons trying to eat Xuanzhang, or Wukong losing his poo poo and murdering randos

I honestly forget what Wujing does, if anything. Probably just sighs and curses his fate to be bound to these lunatics.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

'Porky' pig sounds like a gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Tupperwarez posted:

I honestly forget what Wujing does, if anything. Probably just sighs and curses his fate to be bound to these lunatics.

Wujing's thing is basically being the reliable, steady one who does his job, keeps on keeping on, and never freaks out or throws a hissy fit like the other two prima donnas. A fair number of times the other two will suggest "Whelp, that's it, pack it in, we're done" after Tangzang gets his rear end kidnapped AGAIN and Wujing is usually the one going "No, no, this is important guys, we gotta keep trying." He's also usually the one guarding the luggage while the other two are off swanning around being big old heroes/idiots, and being a water demon he tends to show up a lot when the monster of the week is water-based, but the story structure being what it is this usually means "Tries to lure the demon to the surface so Wukong can beat the crap out of him only for it to fail when the demon freaks out about how strong Wukong is and proceeds to never leave the water again" or else "fights the demon to a standstill but can't do anything else until Wukong figures out some cunning plan." I don't recall off the top of my head a scenario in which Wujing ever goes and solves (or for that matter causes) the problem through his own strength, he's pretty much always a supporting character.

So yeah, not that surprising that it's easy to forget that he exists. I like him, though, he's kind of the pillar of the group in his own soft-spoken way.