Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well yes what is “canon “ and why is it important is a good question too yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I just made the mistake of looking on Reddit and lol all the idiots unironically complaining about LGBTQ representation in the new series.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I just made the mistake of looking on Reddit and lol all the idiots unironically complaining about LGBTQ representation in the new series.

Is there even anything to complain about yet, like I know literally nothing about it other than these promo images and the name and so forth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Those who go off looking for things to complain about always seem to find them

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Everything in The Hobbit, LoTR, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales is canon. If anything within those 4 items contradict something else within those 4 items a wizard did it. IMO

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Everything in The Hobbit, LoTR, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales is canon. If anything within those 4 items contradict something else within those 4 items just flip a coin. IMO

the only actual path forward here was already done with star wars. Where they have tiers of canon, and anything in a lower tier is overruled by the higher tier. adapting it to tokien's works would look like this.

A Canon - Tolkien's works and writings, I'm including Christopher in here since he was working off John's writings and worked diligently not to contradict the text.

B Canon - The movies and now the TV show, adaptations authorized by the Tolkien estate

C Canon - Video games and TTRPG sourcebooks

D Canon - the RPG campaign you wrote for your friends where all the elves have giant gazongas

BetterLekNextTime posted:

god this will be wonderful to watch, if nothing else

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A Canon - Tolkien's works and writings, I'm including Christopher in here since he was working off John's writings and worked diligently not to contradict the text

Well we already have a huge problem hahaha.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Well we already have a huge problem hahaha.

yeah i know, but normally those issues are pretty minor in the grand scheme of "did X thing actually happen in canon?" and any work by a human will be imperfect with contradictions

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
One day someone will uncover a long lost crumpled up and faded handwritten note from Tolkien that goes “I find it frustrating how people continually misinterpret the text. I feel I was quite clear that by describing the actions of certain elves and hobbits as “gay” I meant that they were homosexual.”

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One day someone will uncover a long lost crumpled up and faded handwritten note from Tolkien that goes “I find it frustrating how people continually misinterpret the text. I feel I was quite clear that by describing the actions of certain elves and hobbits as “gay” I meant that they were homosexual.”

"And also, the balrog had big majestic wings."

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I bet Sam went back and edited in the part where he rejected the Ring just to make himself seem more awesome.

After my most recent re-read of LOTR I took a closer look at some of the appendices and noticed in the family tree pages that Sam had 13 loving kids, lol. He and Rosie Cotton were quite busy when he returned from his adventure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WarMECH posted:

After my most recent re-read of LOTR I took a closer look at some of the appendices and noticed in the family tree pages that Sam had 13 loving kids, lol. He and Rosie Cotton were quite busy when he returned from his adventure.

Tolkien was very Catholic.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mahoning posted:

First actual image we’ve seen I think?

This is surely the Witch-king of Angmar or at least one of the other future Ringwraiths, right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

September !!!

Lol who plans that far out

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is surely the Witch-king of Angmar or at least one of the other future Ringwraiths, right?

9 rings for mortal men, doomed to die. so likely

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's clear that Middle-Earth lacks a total continuity. The puzzle that can be solved is not the fictional events of the world, but the historiography of the texts describing them.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

WarMECH posted:

This dude has two rings he must be extra powerful!

a double nazgul!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
There's actually a whole bunch of those promo images now, fun to speculate on who is who:

I'm guessing bottom right is Ar-Pharazon, top left (with flowers) is probably Galadriel. Red robe + scroll could be Elrond, and apparently some nerd noticed the top row centre (with the rope) has the same hand scar as Isildur's actor. Bottom left (with the gold dust hands) could be Annatar?

Not going to get too excited just yet, as I'm assuming it will suck, but hey who knows!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

webmeister posted:

There's actually a whole bunch of those promo images now, fun to speculate on who is who:

I'm guessing bottom right is Ar-Pharazon, top left (with flowers) is probably Galadriel. Red robe + scroll could be Elrond, and apparently some nerd noticed the top row centre (with the rope) has the same hand scar as Isildur's actor. Bottom left (with the gold dust hands) could be Annatar?

Not going to get too excited just yet, as I'm assuming it will suck, but hey who knows!

https://twitter.com/tengwarteacher/status/1489274930625753089?s=20&t=LUdn4Wejs-ystnfzuQp0Iw

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

they're all sauron

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Those are some big fuckin acorns

Also lol at the triforce

E: dammit I wonder how much I could have accomplished if I hadn't spent high school making sure I'd always be able to read Tengwar on sight

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

WarMECH posted:

After they got back Sam did all the stuff. Everything. He was just fuckin and planting and organizing and Frodo just sat around moping all the time.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Data Graham posted:

E: dammit I wonder how much I could have accomplished if I hadn't spent high school making sure I'd always be able to read Tengwar on sight

Yeah, but it would have come at the price of not being able to read tengwar.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Those are some big fuckin acorns

Also lol at the triforce

It's probably a Hobbit holding them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ain’t no hobbits back then.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

After they got back Sam did all the stuff. Everything. He was just fuckin and planting and organizing and Frodo just sat around moping all the time.

Funny how the guy tasked with finishing the story is also a strong noble hero that could deny the power of the Ring with ease and when he got home he banged the hottest babe in Hobbiton had lots of kids and was even mayor like, forever! Totally believable, Sam! :rolleyes:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

WarMECH posted:

Funny how the guy tasked with finishing the story is also a strong noble hero that could deny the power of the Ring with ease and when he got home he banged the hottest babe in Hobbiton had lots of kids and was even mayor like, forever! Totally believable, Sam! :rolleyes:

But how was his garden?

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's probably a Hobbit holding them

Ditto the berries, they look massive

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
One of those photos gotta be Gil-Galad right? I’d say the blue cloaked fellow with the two rings.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

Ain’t no hobbits back then.

Well one is cast for the show, and hobbits were chilling around the gladden fields most likely

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

webmeister posted:

I'm guessing Ar-Pharazon is the middle image, second row from the bottom, holding the Sceptre?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

webmeister posted:

I'm guessing the bottom two--gold-dusted hands and posing with a giant pick/hammer?--are dwarves. I think those are beards they have, too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Well one is cast for the show, and hobbits were chilling around the gladden fields most likely

This is awful . Hobbits in the second age ???

Canceling prime

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

This is awful . Hobbits in the second age ???

Canceling prime

Maybe as part of some narrative thing and the second age storytelling is all flashback.

Ooh they're editing the Red Book and having pedantic tedious arguments that they have to go ask Elrond about! It'll be like Amazing Stories with footnotes and citations!

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I just presumed Hobbits were always around, but no one really took notice of their existence or cared for their history until the War of the Ring.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They’ve only been around for a few hundred years

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hobbits have definitely been around for a much longer time than a few hundred years. Year 1 of the Shire Reckoning is year 1601 of the Third Age.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Surely thousands; Frodo leaves the Shire in the year 1418 (Shire Reckoning)

e: beaten like young Frodo after Maggot caught him stealing

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 4, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s like saying Americans have been around for 2022 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

That’s like saying Americans have been around for 2022 years.

Can you define "the Shire Reckoning" for me?