Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
These leading gotcha questions should be treated as trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

These leading gotcha questions should be treated as trolling.

I'm taking a statement and playing it out to its logical conclusion.

I think it shows that the initial statement was a pretty silly one.

I'm treating the statement as good faith, rather than just dismissing it as trolling. If my question is invalid, please show me how.

selec posted:

No, because they were at home when we showed up. American conscripts shooting their officers or just dodging the draft were morally just though. Ideally American soldiers would have gone on strike.

Got it. So this disagrees with Vital Signs position that invading Russian soldiers shouldn't be killed.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 3, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Vitalsigns is arguing that the conflict isn't worth it, but that does not make Russia's actions and possible invasion excusable and okay because we need to avoid harming Russian conscripts.

Never said that what Putin is doing is okay, I expressed skepticism of the wisdom and desirability of going to kill a bunch of other Russians over it.

This was pretty much the neocon argument for Iraq, anyone who thought it was a pointless and stupid waste of life to go over there was accused of loving Saddam and considering everything he's ever done excusable and okay. If you notice you're starting to read from the Dick Cheney Book of Selling The Iraq War maybe it's time to rethink your arguments.

This is how the war propaganda works every time, every country is bad, so you point to something awful another country has done, say that you're under attack, and accuse the opponents of war of abetting the enemy and leaving the country open to attack.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This is quite the spicy take.

By this logic, people being colonized should do nothing to resist because, after all, these imperialist soldiers are workers too!

Do you think that Germans invading France in WW1 should have been welcomed? Allowed to take control?

I think you're either trolling, or you haven't actually thought through what you're saying and carried it to its logical conclusion.

You can have empathy for conscripts without declaring that the shouldn't be shot at when they are literally invading.

And the answer to "what about the American troops :qq:??" is a a resounding yes. Do you think the Vietnamese should have avoided shooting the invading American troops because they were conscripts?

If only the Americans had stood in solidarity with the Nazi soldiers who were, after all, conscripts, and just let them invade.

This is a hilarious strawman, America's involvement has nothing to do with self-defense as Russia is not invading America, but it's interesting that you did take a moment to say American troops ought to be murdered, but also we need to get behind them go to war with Russia, I don't know how you reconcile that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Zuck seems pretty sad about today.

quote:

At the company all hands meeting today, CEO Mark Zuckerberg appeared red eyed and wore glasses, and the Facebook staff were told in advance that he might tear up because he scratched his eye

:qq:

quote:

Zuckerberg Tells Staff to Focus on Video Products as Meta’s Stock Plunges

Company now facing ‘unprecedented level of competition’
Meta working to retain employees as bonus season approaches

Meta Platforms Inc. Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg rallied his employees to focus on video products, after they watched the stock lose a quarter of its value.

At a company-wide virtual meeting Thursday, Zuckerberg explained that the historic stock drop was a result of Meta’s weak forecast for revenue in the current quarter, according to a person who attended and was not authorized to speak about it. Zuckerberg echoed his remarks of a day earlier to investors, telling employees that the social networking giant faced an “unprecedented level of competition,” with the rise of TikTok, the short-video platform Facebook doesn’t own.

Zuckerberg appeared red-eyed and wore glasses, the person said. He said he might tear up because he’d scratched his eye -- not because of the topics up for discussion.

Meta is already talking about ways to retain staff amid the stock rout. The social media giant is thinking of offering long weekends, Zuckerberg said, responding to a question on burnout. He also encouraged exhausted employees to use their vacation days. He added that based on his life experience, transitioning to a four-day work week would not be productive.

Employee shares vest on Feb. 15, and manager conversations about bonuses and promotions happen in March -- both of which could be factors in workers’ potential decisions to leave, according to another person familiar with the company’s plans.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-03/zuckerberg-tells-staff-to-focus-on-video-as-meta-plunges?sref=vuYGislZ

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

This is a hilarious strawman, but it's interesting that you did take a moment to say American troops ought to be murdered, but also we need to get behind them go to war with Russia, I don't know how you reconcile that.

You said the invading Russian conscripts shouldn't be killed. Where's the strawman?

If American troops invade Ukraine they should be shot too.

If we're discussing strawmen: go ahead and highlight where I said the US should go to war with Russia.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 3, 2022

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Since no one has brought this up yet:

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/01/1076943883/teachers-quitting-burnout

quote:

Teachers are picking up slack for absent colleagues. They're covering for unfilled positions. And 55% of them say they will leave teaching sooner than they had originally planned, according to a poll of its members by the nation's largest teachers union.

The National Education Association poll, conducted in January, helps quantify the stress being placed on educators right now. It found that the number who say they'll leave the profession sooner has risen significantly since August. Among the NEA poll's other findings:

90% of its members say that feeling burned out is a serious problem.
86% say they have seen more educators leaving the profession or retiring early since the start of the pandemic.
80% report that unfilled job openings have led to more work obligations for those left.
"Last summer, I started traveling across the country," says Becky Pringle, president of the NEA, which has nearly 3 million members, talking about the impetus for the survey. "Without exception, every stop I made, from Kentucky to Oakland, I heard those similar stories of educators who were exhausted, overwhelmed, feeling unloved, disrespected."

The poll found a racial gap in discontent: 62% of Black teachers and 59% of Hispanic teachers say they will leave earlier than planned, compared with 55% overall. But the desire to leave the profession was at similar levels for rookies, midcareer educators and those closer to retirement.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Remember that the last time Facebook told people to "focus on video" it was because they were fudging video ad metrics and a huge number of sites sacrificed themselves on the altar of pivot to video and/or made themselves more dependent on Facebook for exposure

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah basically COVID has put the US Public Education system on the fast track to fully collapsing. To the point of some states are bringing in Police and National Guard members to fill teaching roles.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You said the invading Russian conscripts shouldn't be killed. Where's the strawman?

If American troops invade Ukraine they should be shot too.

I didn't say that, I said we shouldn't go over there and get in a war over it. At some point if someone is trying to kill you you have to shoot back, that doesn't mean every step escalating the situation to that point was wise or moral. Like yeah if you're a Frenchman and a German with a bayonet is charging you seconds away from piercing your heart you have to react in the moment, that doesn't mean all of the years of jingoism and posturing and threats and proxy conflicts in other parts of the world that lead the two countries to that point were a great idea.

It was bad that the US invaded Iraq, that doesn't mean it would have been wise or moral for Russia or China to send a half million of their own troops and kill even more people to deny the US's expansion of influence into Iraq.

E: just saw your edit, I never strawmanned you or said you wanted to get in a war. I said I didn't think we should and you started arguing with me. If you agree with me that we shouldn't get in a war then great

E2: oh well I guess I did think you were supporting a war with Russia at first, since I gave reasons why I thought getting into a war would be bad and you immediately godwinned me, so that kinda makes it seem like you disagreed, unless this

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If only the Americans had stood in solidarity with the Nazi soldiers who were, after all, conscripts, and just let them invade.

was supposed to be a compliment to me, which I doubt.

If you compare someone saying America shouldn't go to war with X country, to saying America shouldn't have gone to war with the Nazis, that's going to read as pro-going-to-war-with-X unless you also think we should have stayed out of World War 2

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 3, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
This is a good time to look to states like South Carolina where education privatization efforts have been chugging away for years; that lobby will be looking for ways to take advantage of the situation and make their move.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

This is a good time to look to states like South Carolina where education privatization efforts have been chugging away for years; that lobby will be looking for ways to take advantage of the situation and make their move.

Which is, unfortunately, also largely part of why Public Education is faltering.

VitalSigns posted:

I didn't say that, I said we shouldn't go over there and get in a war over it. At some point if someone is trying to kill you you have to shoot back, that doesn't mean every step escalating the situation to that point was wise or moral. Like yeah if you're a Frenchman and a German with a bayonet is charging you seconds away from piercing your heart you have to react in the moment, that doesn't mean all of the years of jingoism and posturing and threats and proxy conflicts in other parts of the world that lead the two countries to that point were a great idea.

It was bad that the US invaded Iraq, that doesn't mean it would have been wise or moral for Russia or China to send a half million of their own troops and kill even more people to deny the US's expansion of influence into Iraq.

Again, there is no US forces in Ukraine. We are not invading Ukraine. Russia is the one likely doing so. This is not a repeat of Iraq or Afghanistan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NBC has a special report about how Progressive DAs, some of whom were largely left alone in 2019 or 2020, are now facing state legislators who are trying to ban prosecutorial discretion to curb what they view as the DAs "doing nothing" about crime.

It's a very good read and goes into some of the local and statewide initiatives to curb progressive DAs that haven't gotten any airtime before.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1489331669266046983

quote:

Prosecutors who want to curb mass incarceration hit a roadblock: Tough-on-crime lawmakers

Even when progressive prosecutors win voter support, establishment forces sometimes work to curb their power.

When Deborah Gonzalez campaigned in 2020 to become the first Latina district attorney in Georgia, she wanted to upset the status quo.

“It was a very progressive platform, and I was very vocal about wanting to run to address systemic racism,” she said.

She promised to lock up fewer people and curb low-level drug prosecutions.

But pushback was swift. First, the governor tried to cancel the election. He failed, and she won. Then, conservatives pushed to redraw her two-county district in their favor.

And this year, Republican legislators are backing a bill that could dramatically affect reform-minded prosecutors like Gonzalez across the state. If it passes, the measure would create an appointed oversight committee with the ability to remove state attorneys from office if they won’t prosecute certain crimes — like the small-time drug charges Gonzalez vowed to avoid.

“Prosecutors seeking to reform the system or address racial inequities are being targeted by partisan legislators,” said James Woodall, a public policy associate at the Southern Center for Human Rights. “This bill is an attempt to take away their discretion.”

The fight in Georgia highlights an emerging pattern across the country: Even when progressive prosecutors win voter support, establishment forces sometimes work to curb their power. From Virginia to Missouri to Texas, conservatives have backed bills allowing the state to take over cases local district attorneys choose not to pursue, undermining the ability of elected prosecutors to carry out reforms that led voters to support them in the first place.

Conservatives typically argue that these prosecutors’ less punitive policies are a threat to public safety. In response, progressives like Gonzalez often say that their policies keep people out of jail for small crimes that do not endanger the public, and that some research shows incarceration itself can increase crime.

Experts say it’s a new iteration of an old battle between state and local authority, amplified by the fact that traditionally prosecutors were the establishment forces and now, in some places, they’re not.

When I got arrested on a drug possession charge in late 2010, I didn’t know much about what district attorneys did and probably couldn’t have named a single one besides Jack McCoy from “Law & Order.” I certainly had no clue how much power they had when it came to decisions like which charges to prosecute, and — as importantly — which charges not to.

My first hint was in county jail, where I was thrilled to spot a close friend sitting near me in the visiting room. I knew I was facing prison time and did not expect to see many familiar faces where I was going.

“You were so lucky,” he told me.

It sounded ridiculous — but he knew more about the system than I did because he’d been in and out of jail before. He explained: If I’d been arrested one county over, where prosecutors were more conservative, they probably would’ve stacked on other charges — such as intent to distribute the drugs — and I’d be looking at a decade or more behind bars. Instead, in deep blue Tompkins County, they’d probably stick with just the one charge, and I’d be looking at a fraction of that time.

My friend was right, and in the end I got sentenced to 2.5 years.

The district attorney whose office prosecuted me in 2011 touted rehabilitation and reform. I never heard her described as a progressive prosecutor at the time; it wasn’t until a few years later that justice reformers started turning their attention to harnessing the power of prosecutors who spoke of reversing mass incarceration, rejecting low-level drug cases, prosecuting police and fighting systemic racism.

Reformers won elections from Boston to Philadelphia to Dallas, but they also drew criticism — especially from law enforcement unions and other prosecutors. In 2019, U.S. Attorney General Bill Barr said prosecutors who “style themselves as ‘social justice’ reformers, who spend their time undercutting the police, letting criminals off the hook and refusing to enforce the law” are “demoralizing to law enforcement and dangerous to public safety.”

In some jurisdictions, such criticisms have led to recall efforts — most notably against George Gascón in Los Angeles and Chesa Boudin in San Francisco. (San Francisco is headed for a vote this year, while L.A.’s failed to pass — though Gascón’s opponents are trying again.) Elsewhere, they’ve led to legal efforts to erode prosecutors’ discretion to not press charges and not seek the harshest penalties.

One of the first high-profile examples of this was in Florida, after Aramis Ayala won the 2016 race for state’s attorney and announced her office would stop seeking death sentences. Republican Gov. Rick Scott transferred several capital cases to another state’s attorney who supported the death penalty. Ayala sued, but in 2017 the Florida Supreme Court sided with Scott.

Two years later, Pennsylvania legislators undercut Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner with a bill allowing the state attorney general to prosecute gun crimes — only in Philadelphia, and only until the end of Krasner’s first term. After the change sparked fervent pushback, the attorney general vowed he wouldn’t use the new law and would support its repeal.

The following year in Indiana, Ryan Mears became Marion County’s top prosecutor and announced that he would stop pursuing low-level marijuana cases. In response, Republican lawmakers introduced a bill allowing the state to take over cases that locally-elected prosecutors like Mears decide not to pursue across the board, like minor drug crimes. That didn’t pass, but it’s up for consideration again this year.

The proposal in Georgia takes a bolder approach, creating a mechanism to oust reform-minded district attorneys altogether. The measure gained steam after the 2020 murder of Ahmaud Arbery, an unarmed Black man who was killed by three white men while jogging. The way prosecutors handled the case — and the fact that it took three months to pursue charges — helped spark bipartisan interest in improving prosecutorial accountability.

But Democrats worried the proposal could become a political weapon. Though the measure would make it easier to hold prosecutors accountable for misconduct or remove them for incompetence, it would also allow the commission — appointed by the Republican governor and legislative leaders — to oust prosecutors who categorically avoid pursuing certain charges.

“The role of the district attorney is to follow the law and prosecute criminals,” Republican state Rep. Houston Gaines told Flagpole, a local magazine, in December. Gonzalez, he added, is not doing that. “That’s something that I believe the state must look at across the board, and I believe we will, and we will do it very soon, because it is putting communities at risk.”

Gaines didn’t respond to a request for comment, and neither did several of the bill’s sponsors.

They have until the beginning of April to pass the measure. And Gonzalez is concerned.

“There had always been this expectation that DAs were going to be tough on crime,” she said. But DAs have also always had discretion to choose what cases to prosecute and how to charge them.

“It’s the same tool,” she said, “and it’s being used by a different set of people with a different set of goals.”

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You said the invading Russian conscripts shouldn't be killed.

VitalSigns posted:

I didn't say that

Yeah, you did. I even asked you to clarify.

VitalSigns posted:

Does murdering Russian workers who have never done me any harm make the world more safe

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Are the workers you're talking about the Russian soldiers invading Ukraine?

VitalSigns posted:

Yes.

I don't see why I should be murdering another country's conscripts, just because they speak a different language?

If you were being hyperbolic or whatever then fine. But don't say one thing and then turn around and lie about it two pages later.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Which is, unfortunately, also largely part of why Public Education is faltering.

Again, there is no US forces in Ukraine. We are not invading Ukraine. Russia is the one likely doing so. This is not a repeat of Iraq or Afghanistan.

I didn't say there were US forces in Ukraine I said we shouldn't put any troops there.

If you agree that we should not invade under any circumstances and that if we're going to play Great Power influence games in Europe then war should not be an option then great.

I don't understand why you guys started arguing with me if we apparently agree. Slow down and read what I'm saying instead of making stuff up that I never said please :)

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edit: gently caress it. Reported and moving on.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think someone who was reading this thread out of context would come away with the impression that the US’s proposed scope in a hypothetical war in Ukraine was much larger than it actually is.

No 18 year old pawn American soldiers are going to be shooting 18 year old pawn Russian soldiers in this conflict, and I don’t think anybody has expressed the sentiment that Ukrainians cannot shoot their own invaders.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Yeah, you did. I even asked you to clarify.

If you were being hyperbolic or whatever then fine. But don't say one thing and then turn around and lie about it two pages later.

Yeah I said I don't think I (or any American) should be in Ukraine killing Russians and that doing so wouldn't make the world more safe, that has nothing to do with the strawman you invented about how natives shouldn't have resisted settlers or whatever.

You literally quoted me saying nothing like the army of strawmen you responded with, so instead of accusing me of lying, maybe slow down, reread what you quoted, and think about whether it's the same as the stuff you made up

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

No 18 year old pawn American soldiers are going to be shooting 18 year old pawn Russian soldiers in this conflict

Are you willing to extend this prediction to American soldiers piloting drones or targeting missiles? I don't know enough about the situation to say one way or the other, so I'm actually curious what people think about the possibility of that.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
In many militaries, disobeying orders gets you arrested, court-martialed (sometimes), or executed on the spot (sometimes, mostly during wartime on an active battlefield). If you're a conscript, why would you want to bring more bad poo poo on top of yourself than you're already in? You just want to do your time and get out, and you don't have a choice unless you want things to go from already-bad to substantially worse for yourself

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's an interesting study about voter suppression.

They analyzed every state and every method of voter suppression to determine the impact on turnout.

The tl;dr version:

- Removing vote by mail is the only major voter suppression tactic that consistently has a significant impact. (Vote by mail increased turnout 9% over 2016 and 3% over the average 2020 turnout)

There were very small or no negative impacts on turnout from the following:

- Excuse required absentee voting vs. No excuse absentee voting.
- Early in-person voting vs. no early in-person voting.
- Photo ID required vs. No Photo ID required.

There was a moderate impact on turnout with the following:

- Allowing voter drop boxes vs. No voter drop boxes.

But:

- The caveat is that 2020 was a very high turnout election and everyone was motivated to vote. It is possible in a very low turnout election, some of them would have a larger impact. But, none of them except mail-in voting will likely have a large impact.

https://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/why-voter-suppression-probably-wont-work/

quote:

— In the aftermath of the high-turnout 2020 election, many Republican-controlled state governments have passed legislation that Democrats believe will harm their party’s voter turnout.

— However, voting rules did not appear to have much impact on turnout and had no measurable impact on vote margins at the state level in the 2020 presidential election.

— Both voter turnout and voting decisions in 2020 were driven by the strong preferences held by the large majority of voters between the major party candidates.

The limited impact of voting procedure on 2020 turnout

Former President Trump and his political allies continue to push baseless allegations of widespread fraud in the 2020 presidential election more than a year after Joe Biden’s inauguration. Largely in response to those allegations, Republican state legislatures around the country have enacted dozens of laws intended to tighten identification requirements, limit access to absentee voting, reduce the time period for early in-person voting, and limit the use of drop boxes for absentee voting. Democrats have responded to these new laws by proposing legislation in Congress to override these laws but have failed to pass new voting rights laws due to unified Republican opposition and the unwillingness of 2 Democratic senators to modify the filibuster rule in that chamber.

An important question raised by both these new laws and Democratic efforts to override them is just how effective such voter suppression laws would be in reducing voter turnout among Democratic-leaning voter groups. In an earlier article in the Crystal Ball, I examined the impact of expanded absentee voting on the 2020 election. I concluded that increased use of absentee voting had only a small impact on turnout and no effect at all on the Democratic margin in the 2020 presidential election. In this article, I expand my focus to look at the effects of other voting procedures that Republicans have targeted, including increased availability of early in-person voting, use of drop boxes for absentee voting, and stricter identification requirements for absentee and in-person.[1]

The results reinforce the findings of my previous research. These voting rules had only minor effects on turnout and no effect at all on the Democratic margin in the presidential election.

The evidence

Turnout of eligible voters increased in every state and the District of Columbia between 2016 and 2020, with an average increase of just over 7 percentage points. The turnout of roughly 2/3rds of eligible voters in 2020 was the highest in any presidential election in over a century. The percentage of voters casting their ballots before Election Day also increased dramatically as many states adopted policies to encourage both early in-person voting and mail or absentee voting in response to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. However, there was considerable variability in the policies adopted by the states regarding both early in-person and absentee voting as well as the use of drop boxes and voter ID requirements.

The results in Table 2 show that 2016 turnout was by far the strongest predictor of 2020 turnout. However, after controlling for 2016 turnout, the data show that states that mailed absentee ballots directly to voters had a significantly higher turnout in 2020 than other states. Similarly, states that allowed the use of drop boxes for absentee voting had significantly higher turnout than those that required voters to put their absentee ballots in the mail. Finally, early in-person voting had a small negative impact on turnout but this effect was not statistically significant.

It should be emphasized that although some of these effects on turnout are statistically significant, all of them are quite small — no greater than 2 or 3 percentage points. The most important development regarding turnout in the 2020 election is that it increased everywhere and by a rather substantial amount. Voters were highly motivated to participate in the 2020 election, just as they were in the 2018 midterm election before the pandemic hit the United States and many states changed their voting procedures. Turnout surged in 2020 in all types of states regardless of their partisan inclination and regardless of their voting rules.

The other major question about the effects of voting rules and procedures involves their impact on party performance. Did any of these voting procedures favor one party’s candidate over the other party’s candidate? In order to answer this question, I conducted a second regression analysis, this time with the Democratic vote margin in the 2020 presidential election as the dependent variable and various election rules and procedures as independent variables. I included the 2016 vote margin in each state as a control variable because there has been an extremely high degree of continuity in the outcomes of presidential elections at the state level in recent elections. In fact, the correlation of .993 between the Democratic presidential margin in 2016 and the Democratic presidential margin in 2020 was the strongest for any pair of consecutive elections since at least the end of World War II. Almost 99% of the variation in Joe Biden’s margin in 2020 is explained by Hillary Clinton’s margin in 2016.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I have a friend who's a teacher in a large city school system. I forget what her job is called but she's basically running the class where they send kids who are too violent or disruptive for regular classes. Needless to say it's a really stressful job that requires a lot of attention, care and skill and she's been doing it for over a decade.

This current crisis is the one that has burned her out, and has her thinking of early retirement or changing careers.

I don't know a single teacher who isn't in the same place in terms of burnout. It's really really bad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Angry_Ed posted:

Lol if you think anybody in this thread wants the US to be allies with Saudi Arabia or is satisfied with the US being allies with Saudi Arabia.

One of my hotter geopolitical takes is that if we really must pick a favorite regional actor there, it should be Iran. My excessively spicy take is that Iran is a bit socialist if you squint, and prior to Rojava represented maybe the most viable path towards socialism in the region. :v:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Lol if you think anybody in this thread wants the US to be allies with Saudi Arabia or is satisfied with the US being allies with Saudi Arabia.

The politicians selling us these wars certainly do, so I think it's reasonable to question their professed humanitarian intentions in light of that.

Yeah some random American arguing for confrontations with Russia might personally prefer that we not be allied with Saudi Arabia, but that really says more about how carefully they've thought through their assumptions about the motivations of pro-war politicians than it does about how sincere the official casus belli is.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One of my hotter geopolitical takes is that if we really must pick a favorite regional actor there, it should be Iran. My excessively spicy take is that Iran is a bit socialist if you squint, and prior to Rojava represented maybe the most viable path towards socialism in the region. :v:

tbh unlikely to be as bad as what we're doing now, but would never happen. The US state department really really does not like setting any precedents that you can overthrow your US-backed dictatorship and still get on our good side

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I've said a few times in a few threads over a few years that I very emphatically believe that Iran should be our natural ally in the Middle East. Enormous, young population of forward-thinking people. A rich and independent culture, not beholden to the loving wahhabists, a real history of democracy, etc. Maybe one day we'll be able to mend the relationship.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

GreyjoyBastard posted:

hardly even loving hot. everything about our geopolitics in the region has to dance around the weirdness of how jilted we got at iran about anything but were happy to Strategically Partner with the sauds

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah honestly severing the Israeli/UAE relationship would go a long way to fixing some of our geopolitical issues.

But that'll never happen.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

i thought the thing with voting by mail was that it traditionally skewed republican up until 2020 and covid, so ironically in a post-covid world (whenever the hell that is) republican legislatures killing it could bite them in the rear end

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah honestly severing the Israeli/UAE relationship would go a long way to fixing some of our geopolitical issues.

But that'll never happen.

I still don't understand why we're in an alliance with Israel anyway. Saudi I understand: a lot of oil, a lot of money, we get to use them as a proxy against other actors in the region and put military bases there etc.

I don't understand what we get out of an alliance with Israel aside from a market for our bombs that we can use to funnel taxpayer money to Raytheon, and we could do that with anyone. I guess there is cold war history involved, where the Arab countries in the immediate post-colonial stage leaned toward the Soviet Union to oppose British and French attempts to hang on to their influence, and therefore supporting Israel was a way of dealing setbacks to the Arabs and reducing Soviet influence, but we have way more useful allies now so is it just inertia?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Evangelicals are insane. Next question?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
^^^^^ Christian Dominionism is probably also valid but it's relatively recent.....previous admins weren't as ideological on that stuff

VitalSigns posted:

I still don't understand why we're in an alliance with Israel anyway. Saudi I understand: a lot of oil, a lot of money, we get to use them as a proxy against other actors in the region and put military bases there etc.

I don't understand what we get out of an alliance with Israel aside from a market for our bombs that we can use to funnel taxpayer money to Raytheon, and we could do that with anyone. I guess there is cold war history involved, where the Arab countries in the immediate post-colonial stage leaned toward the Soviet Union to oppose British and French attempts to hang on to their influence, and therefore supporting Israel was a way of dealing setbacks to the Arabs and reducing Soviet influence, but we have way more useful allies now so is it just inertia?

1) Political expediency: Conservative jewish voters are sometimes single issue
2) MIC graft: As you say, a place to guarantee sales of weapons
3) White supremacy regarding arabs: The "we're righting the barbaric muslim hordes" narrative is a big selling point to racist whites

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

It's a combination of inertia, collective guilt for the Holocaust, and the fact that it's just easier to sell a client state to the American public as indispensable when the ruling class is predominantly white.

\/\/\/that too - they hate the "right" people, just as we do\/\/\/

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

It's less an alliance and more of a partnership of convenience. The Israelis hate the same groups in the region as the US does, so it's an enemy of my enemy situation where they're useful to each other's national interests. It's not a traditional American alliance either because Israel has shown a willingness to gently caress with the US in a lot of ways that other allies wouldn't try to (like the time the Israelis blew up a US Navy ship with a missile). Iran being a common enemy that wants to eradicate Israel is a great example. We don't like Iran for reasons* and so we're willing to help. Same with the other Arab states over time.

*too many to get into

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 3, 2022

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It looks like we might have done the hot kind of war crimes instead of the cold kind of war crimes.
https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1489344752260681733?s=20&t=zZ8KawdoRHO_HhnP5w5BLQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

It looks like we might have done the hot kind of war crimes instead of the cold kind of war crimes.
https://twitter.com/timkmak/status/1489344752260681733?s=20&t=zZ8KawdoRHO_HhnP5w5BLQ

Yup, fully expected this to be the findings. US special forces have a history of doing hosed up poo poo.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Speaking of Israel and the US:

‘Apartheid state’: Israel’s fears over image in US are coming to pass

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/03/israel-apartheid-us-image

quote:

At the beginning of the year, Israel’s foreign minister Yair Lapid reflected on the diplomatic challenges for 2022.

“We think that in the coming year, there will be debate that is unprecedented in its venom and in its radioactivity around the words ‘Israel as an apartheid state’,” he told Israeli journalists. “In 2022, it will be a tangible threat.”

Lapid pointed to two United Nations investigations he said were likely to conclude that Israel’s governance of occupied Palestinian territory amounts to the crime of apartheid under international law.

Several Israeli and international human rights organisations have reached exactly that view, including Amnesty International with the release of a report this week, Israel’s Apartheid Against Palestinians: a Cruel System of Domination and a Crime Against Humanity.

Israel is also facing an international criminal court investigation into actions in the occupied territories, such as the confiscation of Palestinian land to build Jewish settlements, that Amnesty International and others have said breach international laws against apartheid.

But Israel is also concerned that the breaking of the longstanding taboo in the US on comparing its rule over the Palestinians to white South Africa’s racist repression of its black population is evidence of a slower-moving – but potentially more dangerous –threat: the fracturing of once rock-solid backing for Israel within its most important ally.

The Israeli foreign ministry’s director general, Alon Ushpiz, placed protecting longstanding bipartisan support for the Jewish state in the US at the top of a list of Israel’s diplomatic priorities this year as opinion polls show eroding support among Democrats, in part driven by changing narratives about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

For years, polls showed that Democrats sympathised with the Israelis at twice the rate of support for the Palestinians. But since the Israeli assault on Gaza in 2014, backing for the Jewish state has fallen and support is now about evenly divided.

That change is accentuated among younger Americans, with adults under 35 far less well-disposed towards Israel than older generations.

A separate survey last June found that half of Democrats want Washington to shift policy toward more support for the Palestinians.

Support for Israeli government policies is even falling within the US Jewish community, with a poll last year finding that 25% of American Jews agreed that “Israel is an apartheid state”.

There is little evidence that Washington’s backing for Israel, including the largest amount of (mostly military) US aid given to any country, is in any immediate danger. But pro-Israel groups are increasingly concerned at the diminishing effectiveness of their attempts to portray the Jewish state as yearning for peace but confronted by Palestinian terrorism.

That claim has increasingly been challenged by what Americans can now see on social media, particularly video of Israeli attacks and maltreatment of Palestinians. Israel’s 2014 assault on Gaza – which killed about 1,500 Palestinian civilians and more than 600 fighters, and destroyed schools and homes, while Hamas rocket attacks killed six civilians in Israel and 67 Israeli soldiers died in the fighting – helped solidify the view of an all-powerful state unleashing destruction against a largely defenceless population.

The rise of Black Lives Matter has fuelled the drive to frame the Palestinian cause as a civil rights issue of resistance to Israeli domination.

“People can see for themselves what’s happening in a way they didn’t before,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, the former director of Human Rights Watch’s Middle East division who worked on the group’s report, A Threshold Crossed, Israeli Authorities and the Crimes of Apartheid and Persecution.

“It’s made it harder, particularly in the United States, for the emotional defenders of Israel, who’ve had this mythology about Israel and the kibbutz and sowing the land and this sort of fantasy of what Israel’s like, confronted with the reality of what they see in front of their faces.”

Israel’s attempts to push back against the shifting narrative have been undermined by its own actions, including the passing of the “nation state” law in 2018 which enshrined Jewish supremacy over the country’s Arab citizens. Israel’s prime minister, Naftali Bennett, and members of his cabinet have a long history of opposition to a Palestinian state.

Israel can still count on solid support at the top of the American power structure. But Democratic sympathies were not strengthened by Israel’s former prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who was openly hostile to President Barack Obama while publicly aligning with the Republican leadership in Congress.

His embrace of President Donald Trump’s “peace plan” two years ago further alienated some Democrats who denounced it as a smokescreen for Israeli annexation in the West Bank that would create Palestinian enclaves reminiscent of “Bantustan”, black homelands in South Africa.

Daniel Seidemann, an Israeli lawyer who has spent decades exposing Israel’s land grab and settlement policy in occupied East Jerusalem, recently travelled to Washington to gauge Israel policy.

“The sands are shifting in the United States, in the Congress, in public opinion, and in the American Jewish community, and the apartheid discourse is part of it. There is a centre but that centre is not going to hold,” he said.

“Increasing numbers of people abroad are beginning to see Israel as an apartheid state and a pariah state, and Israelis are increasingly fearing that.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The American remake of Squid Games is a lot less creative.

https://twitter.com/artnet/status/1488945096192143368

brb, gonna go rent a flatbed and steal a cube

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

My god, how could this happen? We sent in our best guys, 1st SOFD "The Child Detonators" supported by 160th SOAR "The Helicopter Crashers" what could possibly have gone wrong? Now a statement from the raid leader, a man wearing nothing but a balaclava and a necklace of ears

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not accurate to characterize the cube as solid gold, it's made of no other material but gold but it's in the shape of a hollow cube :goonsay:

That's why it only weighs 400 pounds, if it were truly solid it would weight a couple of tons

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Sure you can steal it but fencing is always the hard part.

Though I suppose you could just take a ruler and evenly cut it down into smaller cubes and sell it to libertarians.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

The amount of people in flatbed trucks about to get mown down with gunfire, they've probably hired Blackwater to guard that thing

Going to turn central park into nisour square