Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Beast was a HORRIBLE SCARRED dude on that cw show a few years back, and by horribly scared I mean he had like, a facial scar. Never watched it but always wondered what the gently caress was up with that. It's not even "beastly" scarring where you'd say he's disfigured.

There is also "Beastly", where he looks like this:

Oh no, totally rad tatoos and facial mods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

RCarr posted:

A weird penis.

On his face?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DrBouvenstein posted:

In King's Quest 6, possibly the best King's Quest, The Beast is still mostly a furry, but at least has a more ugly warthog face vs generic "fur and a couple fangs":

Is that a Thraddash?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SimonChris posted:

There is also "Beastly", where he looks like this:

Oh no, totally rad tatoos and facial mods!

EMBRACE SUCK on the eyebrows.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

MariusLecter posted:

EMBRACE SUCK on the eyebrows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cwGwkupmWk
Mandatory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC animated movies are a little different which is how Wonder Park got released with no credited director.

In that case, nobody on the team wanted their name listed after they fired the original director because it was so bad they thought it would hurt their careers.

Baron von Eevl posted:

What would that mean then if there were two credited directors and one credited co-director? Is that broken up by how much of the run-time was produced with them at the helm? The amount of pre-production work they put in? I've never heard of two people credited as "directed by" and one credited as "co-director."

So it turns out animation is specifically excluded from DGA, so I guess it is possible they can just do whatever after all.

That's how Wonder Park was able to have none too, since the DGA requires a listed director no matter what (and that's why Alan Smithee was a thing.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

My gf watches a YouTube vid every night as she goes to bed, and this one is on her rotation. I must've listened to this thing a few dozen times. I have never seen it and actually that post with the guy's face on it is the first time I've even seen what the 'beast' aka Kyle looks like.

Good vid though, recommended watch.

I do love how it's a world where everything is normal but also this person is a witch and she goes to high school.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that was the silliest thing. The character's whole thing is that he wears a mask cause he's supposedly so badly scarred and hideous. Then you actually see him and he's basically just a guy that you'd barely look twice at. Hell, you could just throw some concealer on there and they'd be invisible:

Yeah that was laughable. Only thing I could think of was that maybe since the actor is pretty good looking that he had it in his contract to not look too hideous or the studio thought it would hurt ratings somehow. Dude is supposed to be this abhorrent looking monster and even with the scars, he's more handsome than I am and also 90% of guys on the street.

Maybe the angle was that he was such a narcissist that, in his mind, his face looked like it'd been run through a mulcher but Punisher S2 sucked so bad I never found out if this was the case. S1 was awesome.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe the angle was that he was such a narcissist that, in his mind, his face looked like it'd been run through a mulcher but Punisher S2 sucked so bad I never found out if this was the case. S1 was awesome.

There's a version of Dr Doom who hosed himself due to this exact thing. He was mildly disfigured, just a few small scars, but because he was such a narcissistic drama queen he forged himself a mask to hide his face. however, because he was impatient he didn't let it cool completely, so as soon as he put it on it burned his face off so he's genuinely now as hideous as he'd imagined himself to be.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Morpheus posted:

I do love how it's a world where everything is normal but also this person is a witch and she goes to high school.
I love the fact that the equivalent of the curse for the Beast's "servants" (aka being turned into animated furniture and accessories) in Beastly is A) being blind and B) not having green cards for her kids. Which can only be solved by magic and not by the ludicrous wealth Kyle's family has.

Morpheus posted:

My gf watches a YouTube vid every night as she goes to bed, and this one is on her rotation.
Ah! I do the same and my YT recommendation is constantly queueing Jenny Nicholson's Vampire Diaries video. I never watched the series, but I'm intimately familiar with it by osmosis by now.

BiggerBoat posted:

Nono, everyone is completely freaked out by his appearance (and there is a mandatory LOOK AT MY, I'M A MONSTER reveal); it was something out of a comedy sketch. This scene is 95% of what was good in Punisher S2 though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07qIV0VDMI

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Feb 3, 2022

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cowslips Warren posted:

What movie do you like, but you prefer someone other than the main characters?
Pretty much any of the secondary characters in Parks & Rec (not Chris or Jean-Ralphio though).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zero_Grade posted:

Pretty much any of the secondary characters in Parks & Rec (not Chris or Jean-Ralphio though).

I always enjoyed how Jean-Ralphio was very understanding when people got fed up with something he'd said.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
What are you talking about Jean-Ralphio is the beeeeeeeeest.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah that was laughable. Only thing I could think of was that maybe since the actor is pretty good looking that he had it in his contract to not look too hideous or the studio thought it would hurt ratings somehow. Dude is supposed to be this abhorrent looking monster and even with the scars, he's more handsome than I am and also 90% of guys on the street.
My only stipulation is that at no point should I be portrayed as some kind of "bat". I am no bat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BiggerBoat posted:

Could have been concern that if he was too hosed up people wouldn't recognize the actor and it wouldn't help his career? idk

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Perestroika posted:

Meanwhile in the warzone movie they actually went hard and gave the same character a look that actually fits the concept:

Punisher War zone is the best comic book movie ever made. Fire Paul Feige and replace him with Lexi Alexander.

Punisher chat reminded me of an IIMM in the first season. Theres a scene where some criminals are killing a guy by burying him in concrete because, for some reason, theres just yards and yards of hot concrete ready to go but no workers on site. Also, no rebar reinforcement cage, just a 10ft deep pit full of concrete. The overall laziness around construction in media is kind of a general IIMM of mine since movie and TV writers have never worked a day in their lives and so of course they think nail guns work like machine pistols and theres always like ten guys breaking concrete with jackhammers all day.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Punisher War zone is the best comic book movie ever made. Fire Paul Feige and replace him with Lexi Alexander.

Punisher chat reminded me of an IIMM in the first season. Theres a scene where some criminals are killing a guy by burying him in concrete because, for some reason, theres just yards and yards of hot concrete ready to go but no workers on site. Also, no rebar reinforcement cage, just a 10ft deep pit full of concrete. The overall laziness around construction in media is kind of a general IIMM of mine since movie and TV writers have never worked a day in their lives and so of course they think nail guns work like machine pistols and theres always like ten guys breaking concrete with jackhammers all day.

The How Did This Get Made podcast (with comedians Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, and Jason Mantzoukas) actually had her on when they did their episode on that movie.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/punisher-war-zone/

Sadly it's behind a paywall, but it's there if you want to hear her talk about how she ended up on the project and what tha process was like.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Could have been concern that if he was too hosed up people wouldn't recognize the actor and it wouldn't help his career? idk

I have to think it was something like that but that's kind of dumb. A lot of actors have delivered memorable performances covered in makeup or being unrecognizable (especially in comic book movies) and it's not like the show made a point of holding back on overly graphic violence either. So if you're gonna shred a guy's face and make it THE central element of his character, then maybe shred his actual face is all I'm saying.

2:10 time stamp and all I could think of was:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/p__/images/d/dc/Sloth-Fratelli-490x312.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141115224732&path-prefix=protagonist

I watched that clip and my IIMM with Punisher is the super human amount of punishment that Frank can withstand.

Motherfucker has a Wolverine healing factor and it bugs me because you can still show him taking shots and getting his rear end hosed up but maybe mix in a little more combat training where he fights defensively and avoids a lot of those incoming attacks. Or a little more body armor even. The amount of rear end whipping he receives in this series would put him in a loving wheelchair and turn him into a drooling invalid.

I know he's a determined bad rear end and a tough guy and all but he's still just a dude.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Feb 3, 2022

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao how do you watch parks and rec then pick john ralphio to hate

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

christmas boots posted:

The How Did This Get Made podcast (with comedians Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, and Jason Mantzoukas) actually had her on when they did their episode on that movie.

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/punisher-war-zone/

Sadly it's behind a paywall, but it's there if you want to hear her talk about how she ended up on the project and what tha process was like.

I've heard it. She's amazing. My favorite part is where she said a producer told her that under no circumstances was she to include any parkour so she created an entirely parkour based gang just to middle finger that guy. And then Frank shoots one of em with a rocket launcher and its the best scene in the movie. Its an absolute crime that Lexi's never made another movie since

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao how do you watch parks and rec then pick john ralphio to hate
Because I kept trying to turn on my monitor for every goddamn scene he was in.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

DrBouvenstein posted:

In King's Quest 6, possibly the best King's Quest, The Beast is still mostly a furry, but at least has a more ugly warthog face vs generic "fur and a couple fangs":

I loving loved this game growing up. Make sure you make lots of save games tho lmao

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

All they needed was one scene where he's looking in a mirror and sees his face as royally hosed, and it would have made sense.

Season 2 of the punisher was kinda just hot garbage though. The first wasn't fantastic but the second, hooboy. Honestly the only Netflix show to have a good second season was Luke Cage. Daredevil went from "man Matt is kind of a dick" to "Matt is absolutely a dick". I couldn't make it past the first 20 mins of s2 of iron fist. I barely watched s2 of Jessica Jones as well.

Punisher War Zone is amazing. I love when the surgeon is listing poo poo he used to patch jigsaw's face and mentioned naugahyde and horse hair.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Season 2 of the punisher was kinda just hot garbage though...
Punisher War Zone is amazing. I love when the surgeon is listing poo poo he used to patch jigsaw's face and mentioned naugahyde and horse hair.
It's really astonishing that ANYBODY manages to make a decent Punisher movie or TV show, the whole concept is so painfully dated and based on creepy 70's crazy-assed fear and racism. War Zone wins by leaning into the utter craziness, and having Frank played by a giant old queen* that's carrying so much crap that he literally clanks when he walks. The TV show, uh, having the actor talk about how important the character is to cops makes it a bit less fun that in should be, and having him being, uh 'height-challenged' makes some of the fight scenes not play as well as one would hope.

*reference my GAY DAD, may just be his own issues

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

All they needed was one scene where he's looking in a mirror and sees his face as royally hosed, and it would have made sense.

Agree that would have been the move

Disagree about DD though. S2 was the weakest of the three but I loved the whole run. Also like Punisher S1 a lot and was really surprised at the drop off to where I never even finished it. Jessica Jones too now that I think about it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Remulak posted:

Because I kept trying to turn on my monitor for every goddamn scene he was in.

what is happening to lucy in your avatar

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

In The Mask of Zorro, there's a part where Anthony Hopkins is teaching Antonio Banderas how to sword fight. He catches his sword and pulls out a hidden knife and says "Lesson 1, never attack in anger." Except this happens at the end of the training montage. We've been watching Banderas undergo a series of lessons for like ten minutes. What the gently caress was all that other stuff if the last thing is 'lesson one'?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Season two of The Punisher had some marketing where they framed the bad guys as an alt-right cult, and how cool it would be to see the Punisher take them on, but then did a bunch of weird waffling on it and I'm not sure what it was supposed to be. Pilgrim's crew seemed cultish at first, but were just mercs, I think. He was ex-Aryan Brotherhood, and finding religion was how he got out. He lived in some kind of religious community, but they seemed mostly nice? He's doing his dirty work to pay for his wife's medical care, and his employers have his kids in their custody and are ever-so-slightly threatening abou tit, but acts like it's a righteous crusade. The whole thing is to cover up the gay affair of the heir to a political dynasty, but the heir is a perfectly nice guy who had no idea his parents were having people murked.

They tried, clumsily and equivocatingly, to say something about the excesses of the War on Terror and avoid making the show a power fantasy about mass murdering criminals. Then they end the show with him walking up to a meeting of the most stereotypical gang bangers you've ever seen and unloading two assault rifles while yelling.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
that sounds stupid.

also too be fair real life regressives are so crazy that any live action script drafting would get thrown out for being too unrealistic.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Should have taken a page from Garth Ennis' take on the character and have Frank end up gunning down egregious examples of the military industrial complex, since they are what really hosed up his life.

Honestly, an adaptation of Punisher MAX that takes Ennis' run and then end it on Jason Aron's run would be amazing. Also the only take on the character that has actual depth.

It was very much a child of the Bush-era, but its concept holds up. Frank isn't some cool vigilante, he's America's foreign policy accidentally released on itself. Characters are both horrified and in awe of Frank, because he's what would happen if Rambo at the end of First Blood would have just taken a new target and stayed on his rampage.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Season two of The Punisher had some marketing where they framed the bad guys as an alt-right cult, and how cool it would be to see the Punisher take them on, but then did a bunch of weird waffling on it and I'm not sure what it was supposed to be. Pilgrim's crew seemed cultish at first, but were just mercs, I think. He was ex-Aryan Brotherhood, and finding religion was how he got out. He lived in some kind of religious community, but they seemed mostly nice? He's doing his dirty work to pay for his wife's medical care, and his employers have his kids in their custody and are ever-so-slightly threatening abou tit, but acts like it's a righteous crusade. The whole thing is to cover up the gay affair of the heir to a political dynasty, but the heir is a perfectly nice guy who had no idea his parents were having people murked.

They tried, clumsily and equivocatingly, to say something about the excesses of the War on Terror and avoid making the show a power fantasy about mass murdering criminals. Then they end the show with him walking up to a meeting of the most stereotypical gang bangers you've ever seen and unloading two assault rifles while yelling.
Billy's gang is the white homegrown terrorist group, they even call their club Valhalla. Not that there is any real alt-right vibes to them, they are portrayed as badass disenfranchised ex military instead of extremely online incels.

EDIT: now that I think about it, the real alt-right character is the dude with ptsd that ends up bombing that local government building. He fits the stereotype to a T, down to being radicalized by a dude spewing Alex Jones level conspiracies.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Should have taken a page from Garth Ennis' take on the character and have Frank end up gunning down egregious examples of the military industrial complex, since they are what really hosed up his life.

They did that that more or less in the first season.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Watching The Terminator and just after Arnold delivers his iconic "I'll be back" line he drives his car thru the police station's front door. The clerk is illuminated by the car's headlights before impact but when it cuts to the car smashing through the glass front door the headlights are turned off.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Should have taken a page from Garth Ennis' take

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Absolutely yes! To this day it remains the only version of the character that stick with me. Name any other take that's worth the time, and I'll gladly take you up on it.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Absolutely yes! To this day it remains the only version of the character that stick with me. Name any other take that's worth the time, and I'll gladly take you up on it.

The animated version. He LOVES headbands!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Garth Ennis: not even once

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Garth Ennis: not even once

Pfah! Pfah, say!

From Punisher: Born to Battlefields, Ennis writes loving fantastic war stories.

BooDooBoo posted:

The animated version. He LOVES headbands!

Okay, this is true. So MAX, the animated version and the Warzone film.

I can live with that.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sobatchja Morda posted:

[spoiler]From Punisher: Born to Battlefields, Ennis writes loving fantastic war stories. [/spoiler,]
🎶 my bologna has a first name

It's I D G A F 🎶

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

🎶 my bologna has a first name

It's I D G A F 🎶

Good for you, I guess? I'm sure I don't give a gently caress about something you like. The wonderful width of humanity, I suppose.