Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
He already got the money. He's doing this because he won that lawsuit big time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ken penders is too powerful and sega is afraid of him

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

ok but there's absolutely no way ken can claim legal ownership over "green knuckles" who is the character knuckles but green, and "robo-robotnik" which is the comic's take on SA1 eggman I refuse to accept a reality where this is true

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Every new character (very broadly defined) Penders introduced during his time at Archie is legally his. He can't use ALL of them independently because some are so bound up in IP that isn't his to use, but they're his. He won that lawsuit bigtime.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Simsmagic posted:

ok but there's absolutely no way ken can claim legal ownership over "green knuckles" who is the character knuckles but green, and "robo-robotnik" which is the comic's take on SA1 eggman I refuse to accept a reality where this is true

he owns green knuckles, robo-robotnik and green evil sonic and theres nothing you or sega can do about it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Y'all seen this collection of S&K tracks? Apparently from some kind of official release, and there's a lot of extra sections that never made it into the game, like an intro to Mushroom Hill and, uh, most of the title theme.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhfraX-qskd6T8AEMXYgz6Z4ybsmCF60P

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ken saw the NFT parade of lazy, ugly asset swaps and said "I've been doing that for years!"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Party Boat posted:

Ken saw the NFT parade of lazy, ugly asset swaps and said "I've been doing that for years!"

:thurman:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
park ranger knuckles ftw

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Party Boat posted:

gently caress

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Simsmagic posted:

Ken's also trying to claim he owns Shade because "Sega hasn't challenged it", despite never presenting anything to actually challenge except for a court case with Bioware that got dismissed multiple times (he filed it too late and the Judge called him out on it). He has absolutely no idea how copyright works, and will listen to absolutely no one trying to tell him otherwise as it doesn't fit his narrative.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ken penders is going to take sega back to court beat them gain ownership of sonic and turn eggman into hitler and eggman can only beaten by ken penders skunk self-insert that is sleeping with the underaged chipmunk princess. sonic will start crying and then be killed off

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

ken penders is going to take sega back to court beat them gain ownership of sonic and turn eggman into hitler and eggman can only beaten by ken penders skunk self-insert that is sleeping with the underaged chipmunk princess. sonic will start crying and then be killed off

a visionary

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm the knuckles but with darker eyebrows

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I’m the purple sticky icky knuckles in the third row from the top :420:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Robo-Robotnik and his doomsday weapon…the Eth Egg.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

penders is aiming for the honor of creating the ugliest NFTs ever made, a high bar to pass no doubt but he just might be up to the task

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

park ranger knuckles ftw

that's hawking

that's steppenwolf

SatansOnion posted:

I’m the purple sticky icky knuckles in the third row from the top :420:

that's sojourner

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Looper posted:

that's steppenwolf

drat can't wait to get an nft for this mothafucka

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

wait actually i meant the guy on the far top right lol it turns out there are two dark eyebrow knuckles

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Truly in his darkest of moments, not even Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik would swoop as low as NFTs.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

drat can't wait to get an nft for this mothafucka

That flashback is where seven year old me finally realized he didn’t really care about the echidna plot anymore

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Fear the dark legion

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kikas posted:

Truly in his darkest of moments, not even Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik would swoop as low as NFTs.

Bad news friend:

https://twitter.com/paleojuanito/status/1488144102550032391?t=BBpUsN33ZLrhLnbM-nfYQg&s=19

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

My favourites are the ones with a different coloured blob of hair stuck on top of what I've always assumed was meant to be a hair analogue

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

wait actually i meant the guy on the far top right lol it turns out there are two dark eyebrow knuckles

that's harlan

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m the Star Trek knuckles with the visor

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

L

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he owns green knuckles, robo-robotnik and green evil sonic and theres nothing you or sega can do about it

O

Party Boat posted:

L

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I forget if this originally came from a goon or not. But it needs to be posted every time.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc the reason he got away with the lawsuit was a combination of Archie loving up the paperwork and Sega just not giving a poo poo about the situation.

He must have some understanding that he doesn't actually have full rights to the characters else why does his lara-su chronicles comic look the way it does? He can't use the 'knuckles' or 'the echidna' parts of 'green knuckles' presumably? Is the NFT just going to be of the colour green?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the archie comic owned because one moment youd be baffled at things like charmy being poisoned with a chili dog laced with LSD and the next minute youd be loling because of how serious the comic was treating it

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Why do they bold like half the text in comics? No one talks like that and it cheapens the use of bold if you over-use it. It's a weird way to write dialogue.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the archie comic owned because one moment youd be baffled at things like charmy being poisoned with a chili dog laced with LSD and the next minute youd be loling because of how serious the comic was treating it

the first half owns because it's either bizarre penders nonsense, bizarre pun storms from the heathcliff author's cousin, or the bizarre compromises bollers tries to make between them

the second half owns because by that point all the staff are sonic fans instead of boomers and it's just plain good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sleuth "Doggy" Dawg

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Y'all seen this collection of S&K tracks? Apparently from some kind of official release, and there's a lot of extra sections that never made it into the game, like an intro to Mushroom Hill and, uh, most of the title theme.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhfraX-qskd6T8AEMXYgz6Z4ybsmCF60P

That's right! It was a promotional thing, released before Sonic & Knuckles: there was a flyer in the case for the upcoming game.

Sonic 3 had a similar preorder bonus at some places in the US, which featured resequenced music from Sonic CD and Spinball:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5ECAA6CAFECF729F

...which is the closest the US version of Sonic CD ever came to an official soundtrack release, come to think of it. It's a shame that, with the MJ thing and the rights to everything else being a mess, there's little chance of a proper soundtrack release for S3&K like there was for the first two games.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Mr Phillby posted:

Iirc the reason he got away with the lawsuit was a combination of Archie loving up the paperwork and Sega just not giving a poo poo about the situation.

My understanding was it was like that bit in Bojack Horseman where the Walt Disney Corporation sues Todd over naming his lovely, ill-conceived theme park Disneyland...

Heran Bago posted:

Why do they bold like half the text in comics? No one talks like that and it cheapens the use of bold if you over-use it. It's a weird way to write dialogue.

That used to show up a lot in older comics as a means to convey verbal emphasis on certain words as a means to communicate a particular way of speaking. It probably shows up in old Archie Conis comics because the writers saw other comic creators doing that but didn't understand why...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
other writers use it appropriately but penders is really bad about bolding every other word

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The other best part about the Archie Sonic comics was that magical period after Sonic Adventure came out where the art team was frantically attempting to adapt to the updated character designs introduced in those games and failing...

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 4, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, who exactly was “Many Hands” anyway? Was it just a pen name for a collection of artists or was that actually someone’s real name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, who exactly was “Many Hands” anyway? Was it just a pen name for a collection of artists or was that actually someone’s real name?

i don't think it's ever been confirmed, but it's definitely a pseudonym for somebody since they're responsible for the worst art the comic ever saw

KingKalamari posted:

The other best part about the Archie Sonic comics was that magical period after Sonic Adventure came out where the art team was frantically attempting to adapt to the updated character designs introduced in those games and failing...

this is very cool and also far too flattering to ron lim