Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The way the question is phrased makes me think the writer stuck their face over the pot and took a few good deep breaths to determine the lack of smell.

E: Shameful snipe content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXvWARWM-OE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

quote:

it doesn't smell like anything

:dogstare:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Today I passed the CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test for Managers and Professionals. Whether this makes me more or less likely to feature in this thread depends on how you look at it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Gotta love the military. Sign on this building says “Warning: fire and life safety systems in this building are out of service. If there is a fire evacuate immediately.”

Further bonus: there is also a hexavalent chromium warning sign.

Further bonus bonus: this building is an aircraft hangar. Which in fairness does explain the chromium but does the opposite of explaining why you don’t fix the fire suppression.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bad Munki posted:

Can someone translate this for me? Assume I was born in 1980.

Hope this helps

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Phanatic posted:

Further bonus bonus: this building is an aircraft hangar. Which in fairness does explain the chromium but does the opposite of explaining why you don’t fix the fire suppression.

If it burns down, they get a new hangar, and a bigger budget next year to replace everything inside the hangar.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cichlidae posted:

That's how it works, yeah. There are Federal Quiet Zone rules where you improve the crossing's safety devices, and the trains no longer have to sound their horns. It's stuff like quad gates, median barriers, basically equipment that makes it really hard to ignore the approach of a (silent) train.

every day I learn something dumb as gently caress about the USA, today it's that instead of having automatic gates that come down and some bells and lights at a level-crossing, machinists are just supposed to blow a loud-rear end horn instead :laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIhmfMqeHeQ

non-train content:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r6ppkkcmVu1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r6ps30VT5L1r0uzl6.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ekuNNN posted:

every day I learn something dumb as gently caress about the USA, today it's that instead of having automatic gates that come down and some bells and lights at a level-crossing, machinists are just supposed to blow a loud-rear end horn instead :laugh:

The USA is large and has a lot of rural and empty areas. We have a whole range of different kinds of crossings, from the really fancy ones, to the ones where it's just a sign that says "look for trains". It's not worth the money to install and maintain an automatic train signal on a rural road that three farmers use a couple times a week.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ekuNNN posted:

In before everyone dunks on this guy.

efb :argh:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Throw fewer f-35's into the ocean maybe :shrug:
also note that the above train-crossing is a literal bicycle path.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Gotta love the military. Sign on this building says “Warning: fire and life safety systems in this building are out of service. If there is a fire evacuate immediately.”

Further bonus: there is also a hexavalent chromium warning sign.

Might be a temporary thing. Lots of hangers across the country are replacing the concentrate for the AFFF foam fire systems to new chemicals that aren’t loaded up with PFAS. It takes like 4 days to do a single swap out.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

ekuNNN posted:

also note that the above train-crossing is a literal bicycle path.

Nah that's a road here. Check your developed nation privilege.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ekuNNN posted:

Trains are supposed to blow their horn for most level crossings, even those with automatic gates like the ones in that video. If the crossing control is good enough, and the train's speed low enough, the train does not have to blow it's horn. Like in cities. But the train always has the option of tooting for an emergency or because the engineer felt like making some big honks.

Then there's the super rural level crossings that only have some Railroad crossing signs, and probably get about 10 cars a day. Those crossings don't have gates and rely on the big honks.

ekuNNN posted:

That would help, too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Whaaaaaat

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ilmucche posted:

Whaaaaaat

Jackin' party.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just me and the boys having a jack party in the mancave.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Might be a temporary thing. Lots of hangers across the country are replacing the concentrate for the AFFF foam fire systems to new chemicals that aren’t loaded up with PFAS. It takes like 4 days to do a single swap out.

Nah, this is a permanent sign. It's covered with plastic that's turned yellow and cracked with sun exposure.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Whaaaaaat
This is not your ordinary house party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_78skgs9k

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the article is grossly misleading and written to make people upset online

the town didn't declare itself a habitat, towns can't do that. more than half of california is already a mountain lion habitat. there are two problems here

-SB9, the housing lot-split bill, has a clause which says that it doesn't apply on land identified as habitat for protected species or species under candidacy to move to protected status
-in 2019, the state of california began to study whether mountain lions should be moved to protected status, making them a candidate for said status

so, the state of california has two laws in conflict with each other - every city in california has to accomodate the SB9 change to zoning, except in cities which are mountain lion habitats by state law, which is most cities

the city in question is pausing permit approvals while the state sorts out this contradiction. this is actually really boring state law stuff! but if you just leave out enough of this information and lie reinterpret a little bit you can do some big viral numbers

This is a real turd of a post. Are you a rich white gently caress from Woodside or something?

Your post is not WRONG, which is what makes it so terrible because it's trying to whitewash (heh) a problem as being an overblown minor dispute over legalities. Yeah, sure, you're correct and everything about the law conflict, but this is loving Woodside, the town that competes with Los Altos Hills, the richer parts of Menlo/Palo Alto, and Atherton as to which can be the most racist, exclusionary, and generally NIMBY enclave of rich white people in the already-rich Peninsula/South Bay area. With this they're just squeaking past Los Altos Hills which recently announced it would be installing license plate cameras on all main roads in and out of the town to make sure they could keep track of any probl(ack)matic elements coming in.

Woodside does not get the benefit of the loving doubt when they try and pull something like this - they're absolutely not interested in making sure the laws are properly examined, they're interested in making sure A) more people don't move there and B) more specifically, people of the wrong type, i.e. poor, aren't moving there. Where poor is defined as "makes less than $300k a year and only drives a BMW like some kind of slum-dweller". That city is loving KNOWN for its hostility to building anything as it is - they finally had a revolt a few years ago which kicked three people off the planning committee because they'd been doing their best to block or shut down any building project whatsoever. If it were any other town (other than Atherton, Los Altos Hills, or Palo Alto/Menlo), one might give them the benefit of the doubt, but nah, the deal here is they saw SB9 pass, panicked, and immediately started looking for a loophole. Some bright spark of a lawyer found the big cat thing, and even though mountain lions don't actually loving LIVE in Woodside (they pass through, sure, but if any did take up residence they'd be unceremoniously put down as happened in Palo Alto a few years ago), they went "here we go, can't build any small apartments here guys cause we might endanger the mountain lions!" :smug:

Answer me this, if it were just about making sure the laws mesh: why are they blocking basements, which would theoretically be dug on existing or planned housing footprints anyway? Do mountain lions live in holes? No, but poor people might! (live in basement apartments) Can't loving have that!

You're either incredibly gullible/naive or you're trying to misdirect people. gently caress off.

edit: check this poo poo out

edit2: 0.94% in a town of 5,320 works out to 49 black people living in Woodside.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 4, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We're sowwy, we REALLY REALLY want to let the poors move into our town, but this gosh darn law about mountain lion habitats stops it from happening? Could we just pencil whip it and let people build affordable housing? Not on your life, buster. We follow the law round these parts (tax law not included).

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Cthulu Carl posted:

Just me and the boys having a jack party in the mancave.

Imagine one guy turns the jack the wrong way and it all collapses at that point. Or a super strong guy raises his part way too fast and boom collapse

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Imagine one guy turns the jack the wrong way and it all collapses at that point. Or a super strong guy raises his part way too fast and boom collapse

I imagine its somewhat self correcting. One strong guy gets ahead of everyone and the job gets easier for the nearby people until they catch up.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
My favorite bit of federal preemption of local laws is a toss up between the ham radio towers of a certain minimum height being exempt from building codes and towns being unable to ban engine brakes because both are federally allowed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Your post is not WRONG, which is what makes it so terrible because it's trying to whitewash (heh) a problem as being an overblown minor dispute over legalities. Yeah, sure, you're correct and everything about the law conflict,

thank you for acknowledging i am correct about the legal conflict. i dont care if you're mad about rich white people, your opinions are very boring

the main problem with this article is that the state of california has written conflicting laws by inserting environmental protections into their lot-splitting and upzoning law, and they need to sort this out in the courts. if this is something that makes you pants making GBS threads angry that is your problem

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

thank you for acknowledging i am correct about the legal conflict. i dont care if you're mad about rich white people, your opinions are very boring

the main problem with this article is that the state of california has written conflicting laws by inserting environmental protections into their lot-splitting and upzoning law, and they need to sort this out in the courts. if this is something that makes you pants making GBS threads angry that is your problem

Heh, well at least you're honest enough that we can immediately tell you're just a shining example of humanity all around. Hope that works out for you.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i apologize for offending you by pointing out false information on twitter. rest assured that when the revolution comes i will be thrown against a wall and shot for my many crimes, such as remembering and explaining

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ekuNNN posted:

non-train content:
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r6ppkkcmVu1r0uzl6.mp4

:catstare: :gonk:

Buncha jackoffs

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ekuNNN posted:

Behold! The ultimate American railroad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZVcLOjwOMk

:911:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CrossFit keeps getting weirder and weirder.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Great visual demonstration of parallel processing in action.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i apologize for offending you by pointing out false information on twitter. rest assured that when the revolution comes i will be thrown against a wall and shot for my many crimes, such as remembering and explaining

do you believe that the law is being cited in good faith? can you understand why folks would be mad about the legal system having a disproportionately negative impact on disadvantaged people and groups?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Management posted:

Here’s that rust you ordered

Sure am glad I let Mr. Lundegaard talk me into paying extra for the undercoating!

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Context matters, which is what you seem to be missing. Former Menlo Parkian here for context.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/ejPgypO.mp4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I have questions.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I have questions.

How the hell can you have a mechanics class without a car in the classroom?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powershift posted:

How the hell can you have a mechanics class without a car in the classroom?

Yeah, this has engineering class stunt written all over it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I once lived in a lovely rental that had a rail line basically in the back yard. The road it crossed had a full automated gate system, so at least horns were less frequent, but the sound of some of the trains was loud enough to make conversation difficult. Like, shake-the-house levels of noise. I got kind of used to it, and could sleep through it, but on another level it's the kind of thing you can never completely get used to.

The best thing about it was that my cat could tell the difference between Amtrak and freight trains - he ignored Amtrak, but appeared to feel compelled to jump up somewhere high enough so he could keep an eye on those freights.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

That look of defeat on the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I once lived in a lovely rental that had a rail line basically in the back yard. The road it crossed had a full automated gate system, so at least horns were less frequent, but the sound of some of the trains was loud enough to make conversation difficult. Like, shake-the-house levels of noise. I got kind of used to it, and could sleep through it, but on another level it's the kind of thing you can never completely get used to.

The best thing about it was that my cat could tell the difference between Amtrak and freight trains - he ignored Amtrak, but appeared to feel compelled to jump up somewhere high enough so he could keep an eye on those freights.

Nobody cares about your story though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)