Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I’ll elaborate more with a photo of the place later after I go over there tonight again, but the short answer is “my wife wanted it” but I think I have to call an audible on this one because I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had a kitchen near that color, but the floors were eggshell white with dark green tile accents, and there wasn't a whole lot of it

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm not gonna say the yellow and grey is definitely fine, but do put a few pieces of furniture and maybe an art or two on the wall before you blow a bunch of time and effort to change it. A naked empty room looks very very different than one that is furnished.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Just got the carpet into the house.

I think I should have gone with my instinct, which is "don't let your wife choose things". The walls are yellow, with white trim, and the carpet is a dark grey. It *really* does not work together.

I think the only way it would work would be to have a lighter color carpet, or repaint the walls entirely. Obviously the former is cheaper and faster, but I bet it also would cost me another $2000 or something. Blegh.

I didn't take a photo but it's a bit like this.

I guess I'll call the carpet company tomorrow and ask them how much it would cost to re-do it.

I do appreciate that your wife decided to honor the cat piss ghost that lives in your home.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Here's the punchline, he hasn't painted the walls yet.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Verman posted:

Here's the punchline, he hasn't painted the walls yet.

:lol:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I do appreciate that your wife decided to honor the cat piss ghost

Would this fit as a thread title cause drat

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

So here's my take. The pictures don't show it quite like the naked eye does but in dim light the wall color gets very close to being lime-y and the carpet is almost gray-blueberry. The way I described it was "dentist office".

We did have a guy come over with samples and everything for this but until it's actually installed and affects the lighting of the room, you don't really know. Plus, he came by before the walls were painted and I guess I just didn't see the contrast in my mind's eye.

Something more light like this would be better imho:

I'm just hoping new carpet and install isn't going to be more than like $1500. I'd hate to have it cost another $3000 and just say screw it and live with it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

So here's my take. The pictures don't show it quite like the naked eye does but in dim light the wall color gets very close to being lime-y and the carpet is almost gray-blueberry. The way I described it was "dentist office".

We did have a guy come over with samples and everything for this but until it's actually installed and affects the lighting of the room, you don't really know. Plus, he came by before the walls were painted and I guess I just didn't see the contrast in my mind's eye.

I'm just hoping new carpet and install isn't going to be more than like $1500. I'd hate to have it cost another $3000 and just say screw it and live with it.

IMO it's not as bad as you make it out to be, I think how dark that grey carpet is is most of the issue, but

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I do appreciate that your wife decided to honor the cat piss ghost that lives in your home.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

tbf My wife still has no idea that there was ever any catpiss ghost or rat turds as far as the eye could see, all she knew was that it "needed cleaning"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

AHH F/UGH posted:

tbf My wife still has no idea that there was ever any catpiss ghost or rat turds as far as the eye could see, all she knew was that it "needed cleaning"

But in a dream, an angel appeared to the poster and told him to trust his wife. The angel also told wife that the walls should be piss.

Amen.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
House Ownership Thread: Honor the cat piss ghost

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

AHH F/UGH posted:

I painted a small bathroom yellow, and I just never could like it. I think we painted it gray before we sold it. That drat bathroom. It was a taupe color when we bought the house that I liked and grew to dislike, then white, then grey, then yellow, then a different grey before we sold it.

Otherwise I think yours looks fine. I can't imagine paying that amount, and I'm about to blow fat stacks on a bathroom.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Ngl I kinda hate it but are you intending to live in this house yourself or are you selling it? If you're selling it I'm not sure I would bother changing out anything, if you're going to live in it then uhhh repainting will probably be cheaper. I would try to go for a color more on the cool side, that will match the carpet better.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's going to be a lot cheaper to repaint the wall.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sirotan posted:

Ngl I kinda hate it but are you intending to live in this house yourself or are you selling it? If you're selling it I'm not sure I would bother changing out anything, if you're going to live in it then uhhh repainting will probably be cheaper. I would try to go for a color more on the cool side, that will match the carpet better.

He is 100% living in the piss house

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My mom repainted her dark grey walls into a non-offensive yellow like that, and I'm not at all a fan of the color, but it does brighten up her space and she happens to love it. Maybe this is a situation of "happy wife, happy life"?

E: I would also tell my wife about the piss house but to each their own.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

gwrtheyrn posted:

House Ownership Thread: Honor the cat piss ghost

: Where do I check on this disclosure for cat piss ghosts?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Stay safe cat piss ghost!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The real question is why are people still installing carpets? It's like living a in a fishbowl of skin flakes and allergens.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sloppy posted:

The real question is why are people still installing carpets? It's like living a in a fishbowl of skin flakes and allergens.

Cold feets.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Carpets are nice, they're soft and warm and they trap dirt and cat hair that can be vacuumed up instead of creating dust bunnies that hide under the sofa and whatnot and you have to get down with a broom to get them out and poo poo.

And yes we will be living there for a while. At least a couple of years until covid is over, then I might move back to my wife's home country.

Repainting all the walls will take like, a few weeks and definitely cost more. The entire inside of the house except the bathroom and kitchen is this color.

I called the guy today and told him how much I hated the color, and he said he would get with his supervisor and the worlds "deep discount" was mentioned.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I went through endless samples and test boards when I was painting my house for the first time. Having gone through it a few times now, I find the color I think will be perfect on the walls, then get the color two shades lighter to test, and that's usually what I like. Colors change so much in the space it's wild.

And carpet is a fine thing to put in a house, unlike gold fixtures.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Yellow is a fine colour for walls :colbert: you just need to compliment it and break it up appropriately.

We painted our bathroom bright yellow, and I love it. Helps that the vanity, mirror, and medicine cabinet are a navy blue.

Hard to get an accurate picture at night, but you get the idea.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Nice bee theme.

timepenguin
Jul 1, 2006

Precisely.
I think those yellow/gray colors could work, not my top choice but with some proper staging could turn out ok.

Speaking of poop brown this picture doesn’t truly show the poop brown color of our dining room, yeah they painted the ceiling the same. They also painted all the outlets and switches in the house the same color as what we the wall colors. I changed the one switch in the dining room because the dimmer switch went bad but we are looking to do a reddish on the top half and some sort of wainscoting or something on the bottom. We’re also going to lighten up the rest of the house with some sort of whiteish/grey/blue from this super old beige that’s everywhere.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Garage update: it'd be pretty much done if not for this stupid snow that's been preventing them from painting it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

Carpets are nice, they're soft and warm and they trap dirt and cat hair that can be vacuumed up instead of creating dust bunnies that hide under the sofa and whatnot and you have to get down with a broom to get them out and poo poo.

Carpets are death, loving disgusting dirt sponges, I'll never live in a house with carpets again

Long live hardwood floors, get a Roomba, and maybe if absolutely necessary, an area rug or two

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Residency Evil posted:

Garage update: it'd be pretty much done if not for this stupid snow that's been preventing them from painting it.

a technicality, but glad to cash the over.

(send pics!)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

I'm in the process of turning our new house's 2 car garage + workshop in to a 3 car garage. . They're telling me things should be done within 30 days. :toot:

Residency Evil posted:

So just keeping track, project is now two weeks overdue :toot:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

timepenguin posted:

I think those yellow/gray colors could work, not my top choice but with some proper staging could turn out ok.

Speaking of poop brown this picture doesn’t truly show the poop brown color of our dining room, yeah they painted the ceiling the same. They also painted all the outlets and switches in the house the same color as what we the wall colors. I changed the one switch in the dining room because the dimmer switch went bad but we are looking to do a reddish on the top half and some sort of wainscoting or something on the bottom. We’re also going to lighten up the rest of the house with some sort of whiteish/grey/blue from this super old beige that’s everywhere.

Is that not just poop brown but matte/less than semigloss poop brown? Ick.

Residency Evil posted:

I was wondering how this was going and that sounds super positive. Congrats.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

:smug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nybble posted:

a technicality, but glad to cash the over.

(send pics!)

Hadlock posted:

So just keeping track, project is now two weeks overdue :toot:

Motronic posted:

I was wondering how this was going and that sounds super positive. Congrats.

:mad:

Honestly it's been pretty much done for about a week and a half, two weeks now. Paint is the last thing but it's been too cold to paint lately.

I'll post pics when it's done.

Jesus christ $16k for a door.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

AHH F/UGH posted:

the carpet is fine but please don't make your walls this color

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Carpets are death, loving disgusting dirt sponges, I'll never live in a house with carpets again

Long live hardwood floors, get a Roomba, and maybe if absolutely necessary, an area rug or two

I can't stand the BONK BONK BONK BONK BONK of heavy-footed people's heels every time they walk all over the house, especially late night. Then there's the echoing of doors being closed, kitchen clatters, shoes being taken off, pet claws ticktacking over them. The dust spreading around easily into corners is more gross imho.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the carpet is fine but please don't make your walls this color

That ship has sailed, my friend.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

I can't stand the BONK BONK BONK BONK BONK of heavy-footed people's heels every time they walk all over the house, especially late night. Then there's the echoing of doors being closed, kitchen clatters, shoes being taken off, pet claws ticktacking over them. The dust spreading around easily into corners is more gross imho.

Weren't you the person who was trying to save piss soaked hardwood not but a few pages back?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Piss dampens acoustics? Maybe we're into a million dollar idea here...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Million dollars? Hell I’ll come piss on some of your floors for free.

Watching is what is gonna cost you.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Motronic posted:

Weren't you the person who was trying to save piss soaked hardwood not but a few pages back?

Yes, which I would cover with carpet and was only to try and increase the value of the house during selling. Because carpet owns and is plush and quiet and warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Gee, I wonder why people don't like carpet.