Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm glad the ticket jockeys are staying home so my commute can get a little easier. It's just that the past two years have been non-stop with homers insisting that the only reason some of us are still in the office is that we're not posting hard enough at capital.

unfortunately it turns out if the office workers don't have to sit around in traffic or play solitaire all day they divert that time to Posting instead of doing anything productive

I say let everyone work from home on the condition we also take their internet access away

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I hesitated to get the smallpox vaccine in boot camp because I heard it gives a permanent scar (it did). They told me I can either get it, or go to prison.

Why on earth soldiers think they get to opt out of a vaccine boggles my mind because they were already told on the way in that's not how it works.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

What if their employees are tired of having no choice but to work from home, and would be happier to come into the office some times? Seems like it would be a smart use of money, keeping the employees happy and productive.

what kind of absolute moron is happier going into an office

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm extremely fortunate in that I don't have to work for money atm. I'm in school for software development and I don't plan on getting a job that I can't work from home. I'm 99% sure my productivity would be higher and not having to commute would be great because I hate driving.

it rules

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Did any other standing army in the world refuse vaccines ?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

I went into the office to pick things up before and ran into the CIO who was working there because he was literally the only person in the entire office and told his wife and kids he had to go into work every day because he hates them.

That's literally the only acceptable answer, no one else is there and you hate your family

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Most of the time I'm not, but somedays my boss brings in food and those days are kind of nice.

Yesterday he brought in a rum cake he'd made and... Yeah, yesterday was a PRETTY good day.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As someone that has had to work an in-person office job and doesn’t like their co-workers, I would kill to be able to work from home but it isn’t possible with my current job.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My friend living in Ottawa posted an update on the mob situation today. They've taken up residence in downtown. Businesses all shut down to stay safe from harassment. They were set to reopen indoor dining in the city, restaurants had stocked up on food to prepare for the reopening, but can't open now so they just wasted a ton of money. Not like they aren't already struggling, right?

They've been harassing homeless shelters for free food and innocent people for wearing masks. They're making GBS threads and pissing in the streets because there's nowhere else to go. They lay on their horns and even brought in a train horn that is going nonstop 24 hours a day. There are lots of apartments in the area. But harassing and harming civilians to force a political agenda isn't terrorism, stop calling us terrorists you guys.

The government just thinks they're a bunch of idiots and refuses to meet with them. Which is good. They don't deserve to be heard. They're morons.

Cops are still cowards and won't cite them for noise violations or put a stop to it, but they did force some to disperse a bit because they were blocking an ambulance.

You know when toddlers lay on the floor and start kicking and screaming while they turn purple and snot is soaking their shirts? Same exact energy as parking in the downtown area blasting your horns and making GBS threads everywhere.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

How are u posted:

Face to face interaction with them sounds so much nicer and more fluid than scheduling endless zooms day after day after day.
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to just get up and walk down the hall and ask somebody a question?
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to go out to lunch as a group of coworkers and friends?
We have weekly Friday office happy hours which I've only experienced on zoom. It would be enjoyable to have those in person in the office.

In-person meetings are a terrible time-drain where I have to be present for 30 minutes to provide my 5 of contribution. Virtually, I can instead work on other things simultaneously.
Not being interrupted by colleagues walking over to my desk to ask a question means I am able to stay focused on technical work and am more productiv as a result.
It's nice to be able to have lunch with my family, or have the flexibility with my day to run errands, etc. as necessary.
I am completely free to organise hanging out with the coworkers that actually I want to see after work. Alternatively, I can hang out with non-coworker friends that on balance I am probably closer to because I am not just friends with them due to working alongside them.

None of your points are straight benefits, they are all examples of trade-offs.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

As someone that has had to work an in-person office job and doesn’t like their co-workers, I would kill to be able to work from home but it isn’t possible with my current job.

I feel you man. I worked in an open office with about 25 other guys and as anyone knows if you have a room full of guys no matter how "professional" they are within about 10 mins they'll be flinging poo at each other. It would get so drat rowdy and distracting and all I could think was yeah great I still have work that needs to be done what about the rest of you? It was the greatest thing ever to be sent home in early 2020. Now I can actually concentrate on my work. I bet all the CEOs that think wfh is bad for productivity never stopped to consider what a hellscape of distractions an office can be simply because you have to be in the same room as other people.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Nam Taf posted:

In-person meetings are a terrible time-drain where I have to be present for 30 minutes to provide my 5 of contribution. Virtually, I can instead work on other things simultaneously.

This is until your company gets a weird meeting narc. My last job had someone who unfortunately was in 75% of my meets that a: would say "Hey why don't we all turn our cameras on!" b: Randomly like attention check people like "Oh we haven't heard from wild, what do you think about that?(Even if it was someting 100% outside their ballpark) c: would routinely send out emails about how meetings are important and how we need to be early, take notes, and not do side work during meetings. This wasn't like a manager, PM, or somebody that ran meetings either, just like a random fellow spreadsheet miner/computer toucher who felt like this was the thing to do.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Charliegrs posted:

Speaking of getting sent back to the office. Does anyone have any experience with working a mainly phone based job (like a call center) and masking up? I work a job like that and if they sent us back I would just wear a N95 all day and if the people on the phone can't hear me then oh well tough poo poo. They can hear me just fine when I'm at home and I don't need to wear a mask.

Haven't had any problems with it in my experience.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Mercury Hat posted:

Haven't had any problems with it in my experience.

In my experience there are absolutely no problemos for patients hearing me clearly with my mask through the phone, but apparently every single person who rocks up to my reception desk relies solely on lip Reading and cannot understand a thing, somehow.

E: the oldies I give a pass to, but I'm really tempted to offer them ab appointment to get their ears syringed because I AM speaking clearly, damnit

Yolo Swaggins Esq fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 4, 2022

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

This is a totally true thing and I get it. On the flip side, I think I'm paid fairly (or even too little) considering what I do, and I did the work to get the job I have. Finishing college, getting experience, whatever. That's not to say I might have had some luck or some privilege, but at the end of the day you can only really worry about yourself and the people around you and the situation you're in now. I'm not a believer in karma but this also begs the question of if some people don't deserve their lovely lots in life from their own lovely views and lifestyles. I'm generally more left than most but there is an element of human laissez faire to the struggle of working in a system of capitalism, as many failings as it might have.

"It's Ok poor people die instead of me because I went to college" is quite a thing to see on these ostensibly leftist forums

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Sir John Falstaff posted:

"It's Ok poor people die instead of me because I went to college" is quite a thing to see on these ostensibly leftist forums

I thought I had misread that before and didn't say anything at the time, but it's pretty clear now on a second pass. Ahhh fughh, get hosed.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nam Taf posted:

Not being interrupted by colleagues walking over to my desk to ask a question means I am able to stay focused on technical work and am more productiv as a result.
It's nice to be able to have lunch with my family, or have the flexibility with my day to run errands, etc. as necessary.
I am completely free to organise hanging out with the coworkers that actually I want to see after work. Alternatively, I can hang out with non-coworker friends that on balance I am probably closer to because I am not just friends with them due to working alongside them.

None of your points are straight benefits, they are all examples of trade-offs.

Life isn't about straight up/down cost/benefit analysis. People can enjoy things just because they enjoy them.

Like, it's great that so many goons are so pleased they never have to step foot in an office again. Great for you! But maybe you could not be so weird and aggro and condescending towards people who 1) can't and 2) prefer other things than you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How are u posted:

What if their employees are tired of having no choice but to work from home, and would be happier to come into the office some times? Seems like it would be a smart use of money, keeping the employees happy and productive.

That's the best part, you don’t have to work at home; you can work anywhere you want. Go nuts. Invite coworkers over to your house or something, use a shared workspace, meet up with coworkers at the park, etc. If there's a core group of 5 people who want to work in person then they can ask for dedicated office space for 5 instead of having to accommodate 50

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 4, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Speaking of getting sent back to the office. Does anyone have any experience with working a mainly phone based job (like a call center) and masking up? I work a job like that and if they sent us back I would just wear a N95 all day and if the people on the phone can't hear me then oh well tough poo poo. They can hear me just fine when I'm at home and I don't need to wear a mask.

My partner works in a call center and is masked all the time. She says it's fine, but she does have to repeat herself a little more often than she would if she wasn't masked.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
sorry you have to work and do stuff

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Ouhei posted:

Your experience is not universal.

- Not all jobs can be done at home
- Not all jobs that can be done at home are done as well as they can be done if you're all together
- Not everyone has dedicated space to making working from home permanent a pleasant experience, especially if you have 2 (or more) people trying to do it.
- Some people don't want to work in the same place they spend their leisure time
- Some people like the social aspect of working with others in person

It's obvious that the pandemic will accelerate the move towards more WFH and flexible work situations, but no one should ever assume that it's going to be or even should be WFH permanently for everyone.
The issue is that working in an office is unnecessary for his line of work. That's the whole point of objecting to the policy. Everything else you say is non-sequitur to this straightforward issue you are trying to twist into something more.

Like I can't do WFH but I would not put up with an employer forcing any policy that needlessly put me at greater risk of exposure. That's what he's dealing with by being asked to return to the office for no reason. I am not going to roll the dice on long covid to please a lovely boss or an auditor that refuses to wear a mask. I prefer to work safe. If endangering myself is a requirement then:

WhiteHowler posted:

Ain't no job worth that.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

binge crotching posted:

My partner works in a call center and is masked all the time. She says it's fine, but she does have to repeat herself a little more often than she would if she wasn't masked.

When I record homework solution videos for my students on campus I’m wearing a N95 mask and using a crappy $50 gaming headset and it sounds great.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Having consequences for making objectively bad life decisions isn't wrong, you know, and not everyone who fucks up did so just because they're a product of a lovely environment. If a upper middle class chud gets shot trying to break into the US capitol riot and dies, I'm not going to feel bad about it. If meeting narcs get passed up for promotions because everyone hates them, I'm not going to feel bad about that either. If some moron doesn't get vaxxed after two years and spam posts how covid is a myth on facebook and then catches coronavirus, I don't give a poo poo. gently caress them all. Don't be hyperbolic, you know what I'm talking about. I grew up a poor half black kid in a lovely poor city but I still actively tried not to gently caress myself over. You can't tell me poo poo about being poor and making life decisions.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

QuarkJets posted:

That's the best part, you don’t have to work at home; you can work anywhere you want. Go nuts. Invite coworkers over to your house or something, use a shared workspace, meet up with coworkers at the park, etc. If there's a core group of 5 people who want to work in person then they can ask for dedicated office space for 5 instead of having to accommodate 50

That's essentially one of the solutions we're actioning at my organization. We've been woefully short office space for years, but with almost everyone on laptops and docking stations, we mainly stay at home now. If we need to meet up with clients, we book a room at the office with a printer and a docking station, and do whatever before packing up and returning home.

Pretty convenient.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

Having consequences for making objectively bad life decisions isn't wrong, you know, and not everyone who fucks up did so just because they're a product of a lovely environment. If a upper middle class chud gets shot trying to break into the US capitol riot and dies, I'm not going to feel bad about it. If meeting narcs get passed up for promotions because everyone hates them, I'm not going to feel bad about that either. If some moron doesn't get vaxxed after two years and spam posts how covid is a myth on facebook and then catches coronavirus, I don't give a poo poo. gently caress them all. Don't be hyperbolic, you know what I'm talking about. I grew up a poor half black kid in a lovely poor city but I still actively tried not to gently caress myself over. You can't tell me poo poo about being poor and making life decisions.

Uh, your comment was about people who work in jobs that require them to work in person, not about "upper middle class chuds" or antivaxxers or whatever you're on about. Doubling down on "hey, they probably deserve it" isn't what I expected, but you do you, I guess.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Is it a normal thing for you to put words in peoples' mouths or what

It was obviously just generalized pondering about the world in general and how people make dumb and lovely decisions dude. Calm down.

edit: If you really want to go at it, my uncle hit a night cashier over the head with a pipe during a completely pointless robbery and put the guy in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Try and tell me he didn't deserve to go to jail and work a lovely security guard job for the rest of his life and it was the system that was out to get him or something. I dare you.

edit2: forgot to mention also - that uncle died of covid last year and was a huge right winger.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 4, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Uh, your comment was about people who work in jobs that require them to work in person, not about "upper middle class chuds" or antivaxxers or whatever you're on about. Doubling down on "hey, they probably deserve it" isn't what I expected, but you do you, I guess.

You get an F for reading comprehension

Also these aren't "ostensibly leftist" forums, they're just filled with ostensible leftists.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/Gab_H_R/status/1489215400860651538

LOL they Trumpin' it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr81b-A_Tj0

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

Is it a normal thing for you to put words in peoples' mouths or what

It was obviously just generalized pondering about the world in general and how people make dumb and lovely decisions dude. Calm down.

chainchompz posted:

I'm not sure that this is the right way to say it, but as someone that has been working in-person almost all of this pandemic in my own slice of Chudsville, USA/Hell where I have to put up with anti-mask jagoffs day in and day out, the vibe of "as office workers we must be allowed to stay working from home in the safety of our houses while everyone else keeps the material conditions of society running for us" kind of comes off as a little out of touch, privileged, and kind of whiny- very real pandemic dangers to avoid and worry about aside, of course. Bear with me here everyone that has to work in-person this whole time and are getting exposed to it on a daily basis are the ones getting the shaft, not cushy desk jockeys that can do their job remotely complaining that they might have to be around other people again.

AHH F/UGH posted:

This is a totally true thing and I get it. On the flip side, I think I'm paid fairly (or even too little) considering what I do, and I did the work to get the job I have. Finishing college, getting experience, whatever. That's not to say I might have had some luck or some privilege, but at the end of the day you can only really worry about yourself and the people around you and the situation you're in now. I'm not a believer in karma but this also begs the question of if some people don't deserve their lovely lots in life from their own lovely views and lifestyles. I'm generally more left than most but there is an element of human laissez faire to the struggle of working in a system of capitalism, as many failings as it might have.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Are you okay dude

edit: mods please change my name to Ostensible Leftist

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

We started doing that like a month ago lol

Been relying on shitwater posting ever since.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hey so if it's mostly the unvaccinated dying, how long will it be until the dying demographics start trending noticably white? Or do they not collect those data for precisely this reason?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Covid is over (if you want it)

https://twitter.com/IAGovernor/status/1489321676672225281
https://twitter.com/ChenueHer/status/1489327994095210499

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
There's no COVID it's all over lalalalalalala *puts fingers in ears*

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah, the past few weeks have been very "COVID is over" everywhere. I expect the pressure to ramp up anywhere that thinks of having vaccine mandates or even reports COVID cases in the next month or so to stop bumming everyone out by acknowledging that COVID still exists.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

They're trying to claim it's over here too while we still have over a dozen deaths reported every day and the most hospitalized since the pandemic began.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Look we all saw the 1918 flu curves, after 3 massive waves life goes back to normal this is what all of the experts are saying, I heard Joe Rogan talking about this

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beachcomber posted:

Hey so if it's mostly the unvaccinated dying, how long will it be until the dying demographics start trending noticably white? Or do they not collect those data for precisely this reason?

Depends what you mean by 'mostly'. The unvaccinated are still dying at a much higher rate compared to the vaxxed but in areas with a very high vaxx rate the unadjusted nuber of vaxx vs unvaxxed deaths is pretty similar:
https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19/data/vaccination-outcomes.aspx

The number of new vaccinations has pretty much plateaued so it looks like the people who aren't vaxxed yet are unlikely to change their mind so you might see this trend continuing for quite a while.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
It rules that we’re doing the head-in-the-sand thing now that a variant is around that is not only really good at evading the immune system and thus at reinfecting people (maybe repeatedly), but is also the fastest spreading pathogen that humanity has ever encountered. I’m sure it will just go away and that things will be fine.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Is that goon who got 30 booster shots still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Of course he's still alive. More alive than any of us have ever been.