Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Sally posted:

Anyways, for a little thing I am digging in Witcher 3:

Gwent.

I enjoyed playing Gwent much more than poker dicer in the first game.

Gwent was fun when I was playing against people at or above my level. Then once I had a good deck I was just steamrolling everyone :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah that seemed like a fine breakdown about why someone might not like it.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
The thing I liked about Gwent was an npc begging Geralt to rescue their kidnapped child who is going to be sacrificed in mere moments and the Witcher's next line is "Interested in a game of Gwent?"
"Sure!"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Gwent did a pretty good job of integrating into the world smoothly i think. It was neat to find cards as rewards for non-gwent related stuff

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Hector Delgado posted:

The thing I liked about Gwent was an npc begging Geralt to rescue their kidnapped child who is going to be sacrificed in mere moments and the Witcher's next line is "Interested in a game of Gwent?"
"Sure!"

From a brothel visit in the second DLC:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Geralt would absolutely hire a prostitue to play Mario Kart with him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geralt's crippling Gwent addiction is the best thing about the character

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cythereal posted:

Kitsune are a playable race, yes, and there is a kitsune companion. The Fox That Ponders, as the discords I'm in are prone to calling her, is a wizard.

Sold me on the game right there.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zil posted:

Sold me on the game right there.

I made a kitsune scoundrel named Robin with a bear companion named John and played trickster mythic and it rocked lol

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Gwent did a pretty good job of integrating into the world smoothly i think. It was neat to find cards as rewards for non-gwent related stuff

Integrated? poo poo, I thought the idea was to play a gambling addict with a side job of slaying monsters.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Josef bugman posted:

To me it seemed more like a slog and a half. That and a load of bug complaints.

being able to freely go realtime/turnbased is really good, best implementation of it in any game of its type. The system is a goddam nightmare though, totally agree, but sometimes you just want to spend ten minutes tapping ur chin and reallocating your magic bonus items to eke out another +1 on reflex defense for your off tank magus/barbarian.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

madeintaipei posted:

Integrated? poo poo, I thought the idea was to play a gambling addict with a side job of slaying monsters.

Gotta pay for it somehow.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I made a kitsune scoundrel named Robin with a bear companion named John and played trickster mythic and it rocked lol

You know, if you people start off with this, it would be an instant sell with me.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
A small thing I liked about Witcher 3 is that the typical high morality conversation path doesn't really do anything for you. As a Witcher, it's understood that you're doing the work of killing monsters and there's an expectation of payment once that job is complete. Most times there's some conversation option once you're done where you tell the person not to worry about it but there's generally no payoff for doing so. In any other game it would lead to the person saying something like "Well if you won't take my money, take this legendary sword instead," every time I did it in Witcher 3 they were mostly just confused and then sent me on my way with nothing.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

A small thing I liked about Witcher 3 is that the typical high morality conversation path doesn't really do anything for you. As a Witcher, it's understood that you're doing the work of killing monsters and there's an expectation of payment once that job is complete. Most times there's some conversation option once you're done where you tell the person not to worry about it but there's generally no payoff for doing so. In any other game it would lead to the person saying something like "Well if you won't take my money, take this legendary sword instead," every time I did it in Witcher 3 they were mostly just confused and then sent me on my way with nothing.

I definately suck up a lot to small businessmen who can charge me what they want more after the The Witcher, because I know for a fact I charged quest-givers who were arseholes more money.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While there are a lot of problems with them, something I love with rereleases like the FF7 Remake is how well they portray really unpleasant people. Hojo's stringy hair and don Corneo's triple-chin and patchy neckbeard really sell just how gross they are as people even before their behaviour makes it clear, they just look so greasy. You can smell them from the screen.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I hated gwent the whole time as I'm bad at card games but was willing to try cuz I love collecting poo poo then the loving Baron went and offer himself

That was a sad quest line but good as hell

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Wel you done hosed up if that was the result.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I picked up Derail Valley the other day and it's a fairly fun train driving simulator that kind of turns into a puzzle game where you're constantly checking your maps to figure out just how to get cars where they need to go without getting yourself stuck. It's meant to be for VR but it works just fine normally too.

The in-game music is handled in a fun way though. You can plug in your own MP3s and internet radio streams like any good driving sim, but it's not just played at you all the time. You actually have to go buy the radio from a shop in-game, and it turns out to be a lovely 90's-rear end boombox with a tape deck, and the in-game soundtrack is all on casettes. If you want to listen to a radio stream, you actually have to worry about the signal strength too, so you need to stuff the boombox next to a window for good reception and you get nothing but static when going through tunnels.

You can also unlock a handcar which is utterly useless as you can't pull cars with it and is a pain in the rear end to drive, and you can teleport around fairly fast even in flatscreen, but it's still fun to dick around with.

Icedude has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Feb 3, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Cythereal posted:

Another funny thing about Wrath: the main villain has a complex and tragic backstory and deep personal connection to the PC and this can lead to some really complex event sequences to change her fate and yours.

I, however, have been skipping every opportunity to talk to her in favor of attacking immediately.

The game has noticed this, and the villain is so drat mad that my PC does not give the slightest poo poo about her motives or goals and just intends to kill her. :allears:

poo poo like that is why Alpha Protocol is so goddamn fun as well. :allears:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Icedude posted:

Derail Valley

Petition to rename PYF

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With FF7's Remake, despite the narrative issues I will give it this - the boss fights are amazingly fun and varied. They translated well to a more actiony context.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finished Wrath of the Righteous last night. Posting the good half of my review in this thread:

* The mythic path stuff was really fun. I was not expecting to be engaged this much with the Azata story.

* Gameplay feels great, especially the shifting between turn based and real time with pause modes.

* Good dungeon crawls in general.

* I felt like every skill got used regularly.

* My choice of race and deity came up regularly, which I appreciate.

* Arue is a cute romance.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
i finally snagged a ps5, which came with Far Cry 6 in a bundle. How did no one ever tell me about Chorizo? :mad:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Speaking of PS5, the bonus boss in Astro's Playroom was a real holy poo poo moment.
It's the T. Rex from the PS1 tech demo that was included on some demo disks back when

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Petition to rename PYF

:hmmyes:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene posted:

Petition to rename PYF

Signed.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I also finished wotr yesterday and can only add onto the praise the others have given It. Extremely engaging and the story for a crpg was really good. It's also absolutely massive, I switched to the easiest difficulty in chapter 2 of 5 and it still took me around 80 to 100 hours to finish. Those were all pretty fun though. It's even a bit of a shame because some of the other paths or choices sound interesting but one run is more than enough.

My favorite thing about this was the characters tho, they're all fun or interesting and it feels very satisfying to finish their companion quests and then the game with them. They're written well enough that you really care about them, for the most part.

About the kitsune companion though I found her incredibly annoying with her "science is good emotions and feelings are bad been boop" schtick, so I completely avoided her the entire game. imagine my surprise in the ending slides when her portrait was suddenly a fox lady lol.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

JPrime posted:

i finally snagged a ps5, which came with Far Cry 6 in a bundle. How did no one ever tell me about Chorizo? :mad:

Ain't nothing gonna get you into a flying rage worse than seeing Chorizo get kicked. Every. Mother. loving. Soldado. Dies. NOW.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chorizo Rules everything Around Me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I haven't bothered to unlock a buddy besides my good pal Guapo, something about having a snazzily-dressed alligator friend following me around just outweighs even a cute wheelydog

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cat-that-might-be-a-hallucination is extraordinarily good at murdering.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm partial to the murder chicken myself.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Should I have just said "its bad" and moved on?

yes

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
I had an absolute ball of a time with WotR when I finished it last year shortly after it came out. While I’ve played a fair few games in the genre I am never all that fussed about going super deep with the mechanics of them. I played a single class character and just levelled them up as it seemed sensible and had a perfectly lovely time.

While this probably wouldn’t work on higher difficulties (I was playing on whatever the standard was), it seems like a simple solution would be not to up the difficulty if you don’t want the game to be difficult. Dunno, worth a a shot.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

Have you tried petting him?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Been playing the PS5 ratchet and clank. The Ryno is great. Like every other game in the series it's nearly the last weapon you get and it's ridiculous.

In this one it drops things on baddies from portals, but it occasionally drops PlayStation easter eggs.

I've seen Sly, various robots from Horizon, pretty sure a plane from Uncharted

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Cat-that-might-be-a-hallucination is extraordinarily good at murdering.

That's by far my favorite companion gameplay-wise. It's so refreshing to have a "delete this man from existence" button when guard patterns overlap in a way that is just inconvenient enough where simply shooting him will eventually get his body found.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Picked up BPM in the last steam sale. For anyone who doesn't know it's an FPS where you have to fire on beat with the music. Technically you can fire on half/quarter beat too.

The soundtrack is really good as you expect, and there's a good equipment selection to keep things interesting. You can also purchase upgrades randomly by paying coins to statues dotted around the levels to boost your speed, accuracy, range, power, etc.

The thing I like is there are bosses for each level that get introduced with a quick zoom-in cutscene, but it's all realtime, so as long as you have a weapon that can reach, you can fire off a few quick shots and get an early hit or two before the fight proper starts.

There's also an unlockable "classic" mode that renders the graphics in an eye searing pixel mode and ramps your speed all the way up from the start to emulate classic doom, which feels almost like you are on ice skates comparatively. There's also a "superhot" mode that has you chunk forward with the beat. So you can look freely, but movement is only on the beat. That was way too weird for me to play, but I can see the appeal of it.

Oh, and the shop keeper is a dancing cockatiel who gets his own song. Cute as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

It's kinda weird how chickens became the ultimate nemesis in so many games.