Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've been wondering this for like 10-15 years: if a snowstorm is coming could you just cover your car in a tarp? And then bam the next day you simply rip off the tarp and then there's your car with no snow on it. Why don't people do this? Why don't I do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why don't people do this? Why don't I do this?

you simply rip off the tarp

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

snow is heavy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Weatherdammerung 2022: you simply rip off the tarp

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I've been wondering this for like 10-15 years: if a snowstorm is coming could you just cover your car in a tarp? And then bam the next day you simply rip off the tarp and then there's your car with no snow on it. Why don't people do this? Why don't I do this?

if this seems like a realistic plan then i have to assume you have tree trunk arms and you already lift your car up to shake the snow off so why bother with the tarp

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Anything heavy enough to stay on the car without needing to be secured (like a car cover) will scratch the hell out of your paint, and then you'll really scratch the hell out of your paint when you try to drag it off with all that snow on top.

They actually do make some products specifically for this purpose but they're all as-seen-on-TV kind of poo poo and they're basically just car covers and almost as inconvenient to use.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Texas dead yet?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

clearing your car is easy

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Don't listen to these naysayers. Try it and post a video.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

clearing your car is easy

it actually kind of sucks if you live in an area where police like to profile (lol everywhere) and you've got local snow clearing laws. I used to know a guy that would get pulled over 2-3 times per winter because he wasn't willing to take an ice scraper to his paint to get frozen snow from the hood/trunk. Cops would basically nail him before he could get off his street.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Carport: a hat for your car.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Paradoxish posted:

Anything heavy enough to stay on the car without needing to be secured (like a car cover) will scratch the hell out of your paint, and then you'll really scratch the hell out of your paint when you try to drag it off with all that snow on top.

They actually do make some products specifically for this purpose but they're all as-seen-on-TV kind of poo poo and they're basically just car covers and almost as inconvenient to use.

You really think a regular blue tarp will scratch the hell out of your car??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just mean like how? Physically how?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

is this a bit are you doing a bit

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Asproigerosis posted:

Texas dead yet?

not yet

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

You really think a regular blue tarp will scratch the hell out of your car??

no but the quartz (Moh 7) that makes up the grains of dirt on your car will

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

You are going to be dragging every bit of dust and debris on your car across the paint surface with several inches of snow pushing down on it. People have hosed up classic cars by leaving them under tarps for a few years and literally rubbing away the paint in spots where the tarp was blowing around. There's a reason real car covers secure in a billion different spots so they can't move at all.

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Lacrosse posted:

Good news: If it fails badly enough (as it total catastrophic failure) then they will have no choice but to fix it

Welcome back from the three year coma.
It brings me no joy to tell you what's happened during your leave.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Texas dead yet?

you're laughing, the power grid is going to poo poo and people will die and you're laughing

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Texas dead yet?

grid's fine. death will wait for us until either later this month or next year probably

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

You are going to be dragging every bit of dust and debris on your car across the paint surface with several inches of snow pushing down on it. People have hosed up classic cars by leaving them under tarps for a few years and literally rubbing away the paint in spots where the tarp was blowing around. There's a reason real car covers secure in a billion different spots so they can't move at all.

But what I'm saying is that you put the tarp on your car the night before the snow happens. Then 3-8 inches come down. Then you just rip the tarp off

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The tarp is on your car for like 12 hours

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Radirot posted:

you're laughing, the power grid is going to poo poo and people will die and you're laughing

i don't think the grid is going to poo poo yet

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
well that's good then.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

because the tarp holding 8" of snow across a roughly 6' x 20' surface weighs north of 1500 lbs, is why

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

The tarp is on your car for like 12 hours
Seriously, is this a bit, or have you never actually seen snow?

I guess it would "work" if you get a dusting and can just sort of flick the tarp off your car.

Edit: Because this

shame on an IGA posted:

because the tarp holding 8" of snow across a roughly 6' x 20' surface weighs north of 1500 lbs, is why

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

you'd need to park it under a winch point and then you would slowly winch it up. snow diaper. don't listen to these goons, they have no originality

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
the trick to ripping the tarp off is not to do it too strongly because you’ll end up with all the snow staying on top of your car as if you successfully pulled the tablecloth out from under a fully set dinner table.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

has anyone tried just driving really fast so the snow blows harmlessly onto passing cars

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
realy you could just put hydralics on your car and then have it set up so the front is pitched up (back wheels down= maximum grip) peel out and the snow iwll just harmless drop the ground. infact if you do a wheelie even more will fall off. pretty simple & easy

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

at least the tarp plan is better than pouring hot water on your windshield to get the frost off

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Well this is a good reason

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

how do people die in avalanches I mean it’s just snow??? I play in it and throw it around!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

blatman posted:

at least the tarp plan is better than pouring hot water on your windshield to get the frost off

You just have to stock up on the bottled boiling water

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

thank you for asking this question, I've had the same thought and it's nice to know why it's dumb as hell

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
rip the tarp off like a fancy waiter doing the tablecloth trick and then all the snow is back on the car

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The tarp thing is not that strange, though I can't say I've ever seen someone use one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Koirhor posted:

rip the tarp off like a fancy waiter doing the tablecloth trick and then all the snow is back on the car

and you don’t have a clear coat anymore!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Koirhor posted:

This would be awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

avoid scrapage by lifting the tarp off, not dragging it. if you park under a tree or lamppost you can fix the tarp by rope and make a little pulley