Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

There's a sci-fi series with a similar question running in the background (starts with a book called "We are Legion, We Are Bob") and the conclusion there is that the only way the copied/cloned personality is the original one is if there is an unbroken chain of experiences and memories for the subjective self. If the chain is broken, the new personality that wakes up is a different--even if very similar--person.

By the end of that series the subtle changes in personality accumulate to the point that the Bobs have their own factions and completely different personalities (to the point that one faction goes to war against another, even though they are supposedly from the same original source cloned brain).

In that viewpoint, Fateweaver-Alex may think he's Alex, but he's wrong because his personality is different and he's significantly enough different from the original that I'm pretty sure he would horrify Actual-Alex if they encountered each other.

Even if we want to take it for granted that souls exist in the Verus setting (and I'm not convinced they do given that every spirit entity that claims to be one turned out to be a liar/impersonator in Elsewhere/anywhere else). We literally have Alex die in the first person and a different entity with a different personality that only superficially resembles Alex wake up and take his place in the Luna point of view Epilogue.

I don't really buy the 'he only superficially resembles Alex' part. He acts more like Alex did when poo poo wasn't exploding 24/7 bit he still acts like Alex and Luna treats him like Alex. He died and was reborn but that is a far cry from "isn't the same person." Even if you ignore the concept of a soul it seems like Anne in particular would be pretty sensitive to 'person is replaced' stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really buy the 'he only superficially resembles Alex' part. He acts more like Alex did when poo poo wasn't exploding 24/7 bit he still acts like Alex and Luna treats him like Alex. He died and was reborn but that is a far cry from "isn't the same person." Even if you ignore the concept of a soul it seems like Anne in particular would be pretty sensitive to 'person is replaced' stuff.

That last bit ignores the fact that Anne was stupid and unreliable even before her personalities were haphazardly combined. If anything, throwing all of Dark Anne's impulsiveness and disregard for long-term consequences into the mix of current-Anne's personality just strengthens my argument. I'm also convinced that Anne at the end of the book is literally a different person than she was throughout the rest of the series, but I don't give a poo poo about her character or plotline so I haven't argued about her or used her in an argument.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think regardless, we're left with either a fundamentally changed Alex or a new being that thinks he's Alex and I'm not really sure there's a difference there that matters much.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

I think regardless, we're left with either a fundamentally changed Alex or a new being that thinks he's Alex and I'm not really sure there's a difference there that matters much.

The difference is that in the former case there is some chance that Alex can retain control of the Fateweaver and not gently caress everything up again at a later date while in the latter case things are definitely going to get hosed up in the not-too-distant future as the dominant Alex personality is subsumed by the other memories the Fateweaver contains and goes mad, and not even the new version of Anne would be able to stop him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That last bit ignores the fact that Anne was stupid and unreliable even before her personalities were haphazardly combined. If anything, throwing all of Dark Anne's impulsiveness and disregard for long-term consequences into the mix of current-Anne's personality just strengthens my argument. I'm also convinced that Anne at the end of the book is literally a different person than she was throughout the rest of the series, but I don't give a poo poo about her character or plotline so I haven't argued about her or used her in an argument.

I mean at this point you are arguing that everything the book says is wrong. Which is cool because I agree that character is the worst but it doesn't really work if you don't buy the initial concept. I agree your concept is more interesting, it just doesnt work for me.

docbeard posted:

I would say it matters because The idea that you are yourself even as you change is pretty important to the series. Young Alex is the same person as Dark Apprentice Alex is the same as Shopkeeper Alex, etc etc. They are all parts of the whole. it kind of loses something if at the end Alex isn't still Alex.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean at this point you are arguing that everything the book says is wrong.

Where does the book ever explicitly say Alex is not a different entity entirely?

Luna's POV walks right up to the edge of asking if Alex is still even Alex, but stops short because the thought scares her.

But that's Luna's whole personality by the end of the series. She runs from problems until forced to confront them or until someone else orders her to.

It's not even subtext, it's literally right there in the text.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Where does the book ever explicitly say Alex is not a different entity entirely?

Luna's POV walks right up to the edge of asking if Alex is still even Alex, but stops short because the thought scares her.

But that's Luna's whole personality by the end of the series. She runs from problems until forced to confront them or until someone else orders her to.

It's not even subtext, it's literally right there in the text.

Where does it say he is?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ImpAtom posted:

Where does it say he is?

Literally the Epilogue that lists all of the physical and personality differences?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

docbeard posted:

There was a Greg Egan novel (Schild's Ladder, I think) that had a somewhat different take on a very similar question. It's been a long time since I've read it but I think the gist was, among post-human not-entirely-corporeal beings, how you could tell if you were still the same person after abandoning body after body. And being a Greg Egan novel the answer took the form of a complicated mathematical equation but the gist of it was that as long as you could draw some kind of line between who you were and who you are, you're probably still the same person in some sense.

I think you're thinking of Diaspora which is one of my favorite early-Egan works. I'm behind on Verus so I can't participate in chat but I did see some spoilered text quoting this post and I should probably catch up because this bit of discussion is very interesting.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Happiness Commando posted:

I think you're thinking of Diaspora which is one of my favorite early-Egan works. I'm behind on Verus so I can't participate in chat but I did see some spoilered text quoting this post and I should probably catch up because this bit of discussion is very interesting.

It's possible, yeah. I read like three or four of his books in quick succession about ten years ago and they all kind of ran together in my head since then.

Was Diaspora the one that had the subplot where they spend a lot of time and effort trying to develop wormhole travel only to discover that it doesn't actually save them any time over conventional spaceflight?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I'm not familiar with that one at all. It might be one of the books in the Orthogonal series - I noped out of the first one pretty quickly after it became clear that he was very explicitly writing a thin veneer of novel over uninteresting-to-me math/physics, whereas in his earlier works he was writing thicker veneers of novels over interesting-to-me ideas.

Schild's Ladder was about the collapse of all space time to a lower energy ground state that didn't support life as it currently existed. Diaspora was about inter-dimensional travel to determine how to save the Earth from a galaxy-sized supernova, or something, and the punchline of the book as I remember it is the adventure is it's own reward, keep on exploring. You've succeeded in identifying a place for people to flee to, but you can't go back, just keep going. It's also notable in the Egan-verse (I guess?) in having an encounter with Wang tile life forms, which were the subject of a short story he had written previously (and was also very interesting-to-me).

quote:

The short story Wang's Carpets, later expanded to the novel Diaspora, by Greg Egan, postulates a universe, complete with resident organisms and intelligent beings, embodied as Wang tiles implemented by patterns of complex molecules.[18]

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 26, 2022

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I know everyone that has read them probably has a sour taste from the Iron Druid books, but has anybody looked at the new series Kevin Hearne started in the same world that opens with a little book called Ink and Sigil?

Just finished reading it and it's an... interesting approach to further exploring the fantasy elements of the Iron Druid world without the Iron Druid himself (except for one cameo in a flashback that really added nothing to the book).

Also some really strong Twenty Palaces magic system elements in it (the primary character uses magic by drawing sigils on paper with inks that are basically alchemical/magical potion compounds for different effects and stores a bunch of the sigils in coat pockets).

I don't know if it's going to be a better series than Iron Druid yet but it was a much better story without such a lovely protagonist.

EDIT: Book Two brings the Iron Druid back as a side-kick character. loving hell.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 27, 2022

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

So in Summer Knight (Dresden, book 4), what exactly was Aurora's plan if Mother Winter hadn't given Harry the unweaver? Also, why did Mother Winter give Harry the unweaver? Seems like waiting to give it to him after the seasons switched over would have been less risky.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mastajake posted:

So in Summer Knight (Dresden, book 4), what exactly was Aurora's plan if Mother Winter hadn't given Harry the unweaver? Also, why did Mother Winter give Harry the unweaver? Seems like waiting to give it to him after the seasons switched over would have been less risky.

Exactly what happened when Harry foiled the sacrifice of Lily, Aurora would have sacrificed herself and accomplished the same thing she intended (royally loving up the balance of things).

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That bit makes a lot more sense when you get more info on what the Courts are for later on.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gnoman posted:

That bit makes a lot more sense when you get more info on what the Courts are for later on.

There's stuff Jim Butcher is bad at. Editing. Writing women without sounding like John Cena from Peacemaker. But he's pretty good at logical world-building. In his worlds poo poo makes sense and pays off. That was even true of Roman Pokemon world.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Everyone posted:

There's stuff Jim Butcher is bad at. Editing. Writing women without sounding like John Cena from Peacemaker. But he's pretty good at logical world-building. In his worlds poo poo makes sense and pays off. That was even true of Roman Pokemon world.

Well, until he abandoned the original premise and went full into power fantasy and having a Horde enemy as the main threat.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Well, until he abandoned the original premise and went full into power fantasy and having a Horde enemy as the main threat.

Just a really disappointing way for that series to go. I enjoyed the books up until they became that stupidity all the time. There some of that same stupidity in Nemesis but at least he’s used it sparingly thus far.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I didn't really like the zergs but they were there from the start

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nihilarian posted:

I didn't really like the zergs but they were there from the start

The origin bits for a singular enemy were there in the first book, but not the zerg aspect (that was added a few books later).

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Finally got around to finishing the last Verus book. It stuck the landing for me even if it didn't hit the highs I was hoping for. The good news is it didn't ruin the series for me and I would absolutely re-listen to my audiobooks somewhere down the line in the future. I guess there's no new hotness around given how slow this thread has gotten. :sigh: Guess I'll patiently wait for the next Rivers of London and Dresden books. I'm glad to hear a third Rook book is coming as well though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xtanstic posted:

Finally got around to finishing the last Verus book. It stuck the landing for me even if it didn't hit the highs I was hoping for. The good news is it didn't ruin the series for me and I would absolutely re-listen to my audiobooks somewhere down the line in the future. I guess there's no new hotness around given how slow this thread has gotten. :sigh: Guess I'll patiently wait for the next Rivers of London and Dresden books. I'm glad to hear a third Rook book is coming as well though.

There's no new hotness right this second, but April 12 will see the release Ben Aaronovitch's Amongst Our Weapons, which is Book 9 in the Peter Grant series.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm 'rereading' The Lies of Locke Lamora since I'd never listened to the audiobook, and it's very well done. It's sort of Urban Fantasy, thieves in magical preindustrial Venice.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If you don't frown on reading books intended for YA audiences there are a *lot* of urban fantasy adjacent fantasy books out there by authors like Claribel Ortega (with a novel called "Ghost Squad", plus several other things she's doing) and if you follow her on Twitter she tends to post a lot of links to works by other authors that are along similar lines, even some that aren't YA (when she isn't posting memes about BTS or What We Do In The Shadows or promoting her latest book).

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I don't mind YA, but sometimes I bounce off them if the beginning is uneven. Glad to hear that I only have to wait until April for a new Peter Grant book though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Maybe not urban fantasy exactly, but I liked Brandon Sanderson's "Reckoners" trilogy. Basically superbeings exists but they're all evil, so the Reckoners learned they're weakness and kill them. It's like a YA version of "The Boys."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Everyone posted:

Maybe not urban fantasy exactly, but I liked Brandon Sanderson's "Reckoners" trilogy. Basically superbeings exists but they're all evil, so the Reckoners learned they're weakness and kill them. It's like a YA version of "The Boys."

I also liked the conceit that there was no such thing in that version of Earth as a benevolent super. And the more they use their powers the more they become malevolently psychotic.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Proteus Jones posted:

I also liked the conceit that there was no such thing in that version of Earth as a benevolent super. And the more they use their powers the more they become malevolently psychotic.

Replace super with billionaire and powers with money.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 18, 2022

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

:hmmyes:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

:guillotine:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I was more pointing out most Superhero fantasies don't have every super being an evil jack hole.

But sure, we can go with the Obvious Symbolism of Obviousness too I guess.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm 'rereading' The Lies of Locke Lamora since I'd never listened to the audiobook, and it's very well done. It's sort of Urban Fantasy, thieves in magical preindustrial Venice.

I really enjoyed that series, kind of wished he'd actually finished it.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I really liked it too. One of his last blog posts in 2016 was talking about delays in his next book being due to extreme anxiety. And I know he talked about depression messing up his writing before #3 got published.

He's super active on Twitter though. Posts a bunch about politics and jokes. Probably would fit in around here but doesn't seem to be actively working on anything. Hopefully the guy made his money and can relax a bit.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I really liked the first one, but I thought they sequels were a lot less interesting. Sad to hear he wasn't able to finish them though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

I really liked the first one, but I thought they sequels were a lot less interesting. Sad to hear he wasn't able to finish them though.

I look at it like it's hard to recapture that magic of first getting introduced to the whole world in those books. So any follow ups are going to be lackluster in comparison.

Personally, I really liked all three books. While I would welcome more, if this is all he has in him to give us I'm fine with that too.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Darkrenown posted:

I thought they were vastly less interesting and by the time the two boys were rigging an election or whatever I was just bored. Did the fourth book ever come out? Thorn of emberlain or something?

Edit: Lies of Locke Lamora is v v v good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Thorn of Emberlain got delayed indefinitely while Scott Lynch deals with some issues. Though unlike Rothfuss he is at least up front about his work/life balance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The twist about Locke's backstory in the last book basically ruined everything interesting about the series anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The twist about Locke's backstory in the last book basically ruined everything interesting about the series anyway

What was the twist?