Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've played lttp many times but always got bored and dropped it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Barreft posted:

I love Zelda tiers cause even the worst is better than 99% of games.

This is a pretty spicy take. Zelda games are mostly good but there are definitely some real stinkers that are absolutely in the bottom half of the all games bell curve.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Harriet Carker posted:

This is a pretty spicy take. Zelda games are mostly good but there are definitely some real stinkers that are absolutely in the bottom half of the all games bell curve.

ALL games?

lmao 🤣

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Phantom Hourglass is firmly below the dividing line between good games and bad games

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Spirit Tracks is good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

phantom hourglass was pretty fun and the only thing I really dislike is in retrospect noticing how much the devs hated letting tetra do things. botw 2 might be fun but lol at going with the same beat there

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hatty posted:

Spirit Tracks is good

yeah it's a lot better than PH

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
why do people hate phantom hourglass so much? Its the only DS zelda I've played and I don't quite see why its so universally reviled. The control system was a bit weird but fun, the art style was a bit meh but still quite cute. I feel like its a solid C tier game but I can't imagine actively disliking it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Phantom Hourglass was just very.... mid. It tacked on touchscreen/mic mechanics that didn't really add a whole lot beyond the cool bits of map making & note taking. Nothing in the game is very memorable beyond Linebeck being a fun schmuck.

And then it had the central dungeon you return to a million times throughout that can become pretty grating by the end.

Like it's not aggressively bad but it just doesn't really do anything spectacular either and in a series like Zelda where there's a lot of really rad entries that just shoves it down a lot.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
On the other hand, Phantom Hourglass had Dee Ess Island.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

Pungry posted:

On the other hand, Phantom Hourglass had Dee Ess Island.

nintendo is very clever

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
The best time loop game is Dragon's Dogma :smaug:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Just picked up FFVII for some nostalgia.

How do the new features help improve the game? What should I be doing to help speed it up?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
With the boosters you can do various things such as just increase the general speed of the game to being outright invincible, so it's up to you if you want to play it as originally designed or just basically turn it into an adventure where combat is but a formality.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

hadji murad posted:

Just picked up FFVII for some nostalgia.

How do the new features help improve the game? What should I be doing to help speed it up?

iirc it's no encounters (worth throwing on if you're backtracking through a bunch of low-level enemies), all attacks do 9999 (for people who don't care about rpg mechanics and just want to see the story) and 3x speed (whenever anything is just slow and you want it faster)

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Honestly the x3 speed is a QoL that should be implemented in all games

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

What's a good game to being to the middle of nowhere with no Internet/cell access that has just enough power to keep a usb speaker a phone full of tunes and a switch powered and an extremely chill vibe?

I would say Stardew Valley. It hardly drains my OG Switch battery. Otherwise just load up the SNES before leaving, and you'll be good for two(?) weeks and Yoshi's Island or SMW or SMB3 for just good solid platforming. And the Kirby games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheHoosier posted:

LoZ1 is the Dark Souls of Zelda games

No, that's Zelda 2.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

why do people hate phantom hourglass so much? Its the only DS zelda I've played and I don't quite see why its so universally reviled. The control system was a bit weird but fun, the art style was a bit meh but still quite cute. I feel like its a solid C tier game but I can't imagine actively disliking it.

The controls were stupid and unnecessary and it would be a MUCH better game with normal controls, but they're whatever. I got used to them eventually. What killed the game for me was having to return to that stupid temple between every dungeon. It was boring, it was repetitive, it was not fun, and it completely killed the momentum of the game for me. I gave up on it after the third dungeon because I kept getting lost, running out of time/getting stabbed by the guards, and having to start all over from the beginning of the awful place.

Oh that and they did Tetra dirty. She deserved way better than just being the kidnapped princess.

I disliked it enough that I never even touched Spirit Tracks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Phantom Hourglass had that one infuriating 4th wall puzzle that required you to close the clamshell DS in order to stamp a map or some poo poo and they give you barely any hint about what you’re supposed to do.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
that wasnt a puzzle

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stux posted:

that wasnt a puzzle

of course it was

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The game literally tells you to press it onto the map lmao.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cartoon Man posted:

Phantom Hourglass had that one infuriating 4th wall puzzle that required you to close the clamshell DS in order to stamp a map or some poo poo and they give you barely any hint about what you’re supposed to do.

People keep harping on that puzzle but I got it immediately. :shrug: The game was extremely obvious with what it wanted you to do and I thought it was really clever.

If you didn't get it, that's a you problem, not the game's problem.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Wow the QOL in Final Fantasy 7 is really well implemented. Do any of the other ports feature the same?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven't played it on switch but the 8 PC release has had them for about a decade now even before the poo poo 'remaster' they released at some point so I'd say it's a safe bet. Same for 9

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjRxMqAak4s

5000 hours of this garbage

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Hard to believe the same person later pumped out this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W_bFLwB0WY

Edit: And don't forget the incredible Smash arrangement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhpQXAJ7tEY

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

7, 8, and 9 all have the same QoL features the other remasters do not

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Bloop posted:

of course it was

its a puzzle the same way people getting confused which button is which when they switch between platforms is a puzzle

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Is it worth it to buy FF7 on Switch for the QoL features if I already have access to it on a PS Classic? I’m assuming yes, portability plus QoL changes must be worth buying it, especially if it’s on sale.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think the QoL features are particularly needed. Portability is the bigger reason I'd say go for it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Is it worth it to buy FF7 on Switch for the QoL features if I already have access to it on a PS Classic? I’m assuming yes, portability plus QoL changes must be worth buying it, especially if it’s on sale.

playing ff7 in bed owns

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Cartoon Man posted:

Another Code also did this, two great games right there on a great console 👍👍

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

is this a joke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfLV8ZxmqY

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

playing ff7 in bed owns

playing ff7 in bed with the ultimate experience of having it on a brilliant OLED screen. that's right, get the Vita version

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Cartoon Man posted:

Genuinely my favorite part of Phantom Hourglass

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Feels Villeneuve posted:

playing ff7 in bed with the ultimate experience of having it on a brilliant OLED screen. that's right, get the Vita version

Why would I downgrade from my SWOLED though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Yeah it’s a bad arrangement of a good theme. It’s hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

dammit now i wanna play lttp again