Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

This is a very silly question, but is it worth it for a job in the low 50s to queue up for either of the MSQDR duties even without the MSQDR bonuses? I already did MSQDR today, but I'm kinda curious how much EXP my SCH (level 53) would get from doing Prae.

No, just run regular dungeons.

cheetah7071 posted:

nah I do mean water->fire first, we're well practiced at negating both knockbacks with a single arm's length if they come together. We've gotten pretty good at lightning uptime, so he's never at the center, because you have to move him long before you know whether it's lightning or water. It feels like you pretty much have to agree as a static whether you're using surecast on water or on cape and all do the same thing, or else regrouping for fire is going to be a nightmare in some patterns as people are all over the place

It took about two weeks to really work out all the kinks, but we're pretty solid on this strat of dragging him to the edge and then always negating water, no matter whether it's first or second. The only pattern that still bothers us is water poison lightning cape fire, and only because we see it so rarely we never practice it

Fair enough, I can't really help in this situation then lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibblebibble posted:

No, just run regular dungeons.

But I like the part about Prae where you can completely zone out. Do you just get negligible EXP from it without the bonus?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

But I like the part about Prae where you can completely zone out. Do you just get negligible EXP from it without the bonus?

this is true of content from an expansion back as a general rule. If you're in HW levels and want to gain xp without a roulette, you need to do HW content

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

cheetah7071 posted:

this is true of content from an expansion back as a general rule. If you're in HW levels and want to gain xp without a roulette, you need to do HW content

OK, thanks guys. I thought it was a bad idea, glad to get that confirmed.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nobody cool does.

:hai: Zenos put a stop to Varis and Elidibus' machinations and helped us with Meteon. I'd say that gives him a 2:1 ratio of saving vs nearly destroying the world.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 4, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/jenovahh/status/1471368585171939332

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What kind of frakenHUD did you have set up in the first place

one where buttons flashed and i pressed them

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

throwing my weight into the "uses arm's length on water" club. if it's water second you can mitigate both it and cape with no issues. if water is first and you get cape later it's w/e, i have a gapcloser there and there's a million years before the final tile goes off so there's time to adjust.

but yea pinax is just one of those things that you have to put in the work and see and experience every combination many times so you can figure out how your team wants to handle it/get used to it. there'd be days where we'd get comfortable with it, take a couple days off, come back, and need to remember what we decided on lol

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Starting to get a little better at getting used to SGE, although I'm probably starting to accept that in some big dick pulls the tank is probably going to die unless they try to meet me halfway with some cooldowns, because sometimes they can go down before I can even reapply E.Diagnosis (or it'll pop instantly and I already used pretty much every other resource).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Every once in a while you run into a one GCD superstar. Can't do anything about that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean I don't think there's a healer that can keep a tank that doesn't use cooldowns alive through a wall to wall.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually created an alt for the first time yesterday, for the kind of goofy reason that this early content actually feels kind of nostalgic (and I'm not that familiar with it, since I've only ever created two characters, and the first was back during ARR and never got above level 40). It's such a long game (actually taking place over multiple years with a coherent narrative) that these early events feel like they happened "a long time ago."

It's a bit of a shame that there's literally no benefit (outside of some weirdness with high-end raid timers from what I understand) to having multiple characters, but it's probably for the best overall, since "benefits to having multiple characters" would detract from the ability to enjoy everything with just one. It'd still be nice if I could freely mail things between the characters (though I guess you could do something goofy like put stuff overpriced on the MB and buy it from yourself, but that's probably more trouble than its worth).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

This is kind of a spoiler here. Borderline at least.

EDIT: And its edited. Sorry for being a squeaky wheel here.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 4, 2022

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hellioning posted:

I mean I don't think there's a healer that can keep a tank that doesn't use cooldowns alive through a wall to wall.
It's possible (or at least, has historically been possible, at least as of 5.58, haven't really run into the scenario in EW yet) if everyone is decently geared and the healer blows all their cooldowns and GCDs solely for healing and the DPS are at the top of their game, but even then might still be the demesne of 50/60/70/80 dungeons without forced ilvl caps and really, tank cooldowns are oGCDs, it's not going to make your tank DPS worse to remember that Rampart exists.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Hellioning posted:

Flashbacks to the time that Cure II spam (because I'd exhausted everything else) while Presence of Mind was active wasn't enough to keep the tank's HP from plummeting. I had to explain to them that pulling literally everything requires a bit more action on their end. They were like "oh, right, I forgot." :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ytlaya posted:

I actually created an alt for the first time yesterday, for the kind of goofy reason that this early content actually feels kind of nostalgic (and I'm not that familiar with it, since I've only ever created two characters, and the first was back during ARR and never got above level 40). It's such a long game (actually taking place over multiple years with a coherent narrative) that these early events feel like they happened "a long time ago."

It's a bit of a shame that there's literally no benefit (outside of some weirdness with high-end raid timers from what I understand) to having multiple characters, but it's probably for the best overall, since "benefits to having multiple characters" would detract from the ability to enjoy everything with just one. It'd still be nice if I could freely mail things between the characters (though I guess you could do something goofy like put stuff overpriced on the MB and buy it from yourself, but that's probably more trouble than its worth).

Just out of curiosity, why did you opt to do this instead of NG+?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Hellioning posted:

In Endwalker, probably not

But in Shadowbringers in recent memory? Man WHM could keep up a bad tank for quite awhile even without cooldowns (even when it inevitably gets down to Cure II spam) especially thanks to Thin Air and Holy being a pause button essentially

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Look at how they massacred my baby. :negative:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Less than 400 rdps short of clearing door boss. :effort:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Less than 400 rdps short of clearing door boss. :effort:

Have you considered simply getting more critical hits?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

aers posted:

Have you considered simply getting more critical hits?

I like how I know my dancer opener had lots of crits when I start Pinax at #3 on the enmity list instead of #7 (due to all the heals going out).

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I finally beat P4S after about 8 hours of party finder today. gently caress this door boss poo poo. It's soul destroying forming a group and having to go through phase 1 only to find out your group has a bunch of idiots who can't do the phase 2 dance. I ended up doing most of my progress with partial premades because it seemed like the only type of progress group that wouldn't have someone quit after 2 pulls of phase 2.

Please tell me duty complete groups aren't like this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CJ posted:

I finally beat P4S after about 8 hours of party finder today. gently caress this door boss poo poo. It's soul destroying forming a group and having to go through phase 1 only to find out your group has a bunch of idiots who can't do the phase 2 dance. I ended up doing most of my progress with partial premades because it seemed like the only type of progress group that wouldn't have someone quit after 2 pulls of phase 2.

Please tell me duty complete groups aren't like this.

Join a static if you want consistency. PF is always gambling on competency by the nature of it being basically completely random players.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

a kitten posted:

Between that one and Royal Thighness it's kind of fun seeing goons making the rounds in FFXIV spaces

What's this about Thighness?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The party finder works fine for every other fight. The issue is them designing the instance so you have to spend on average 20 minutes setting up for and killing a different boss before you get to actually pull the boss you're progressing on. Just make it two different instances. Everyone just kills themselves to reset after finishing phase 1 anyway. There's no reason to make you go through that every time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
door bosses do kind of suck

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This one is at least a good fight which makes it far less soul-crushing than E12, though

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Funnily enough my static usually has more issue reclearing P3S than P4S.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Join a static if you want consistency. PF is always gambling on competency by the nature of it being basically completely random players.

I don't mean this in an aggressive way but no poo poo. People who choose PF are doing it because they have a reason they can't join a static.

That said, statics aren't a guarantee of not playing with inconsistent people. Most statics still have a That Guy who took forever to understand a particular mechanic, and that's if you're lucky enough to find a static that perfectly matches your level of skill/expectation.

admanb fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 4, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

admanb posted:

I don't mean this in an aggressive way but no poo poo. People who choose PF are doing it because they have a reason they can't join a static.

I mean you wanna complain about obvious statements being said "Man PF is inconsistent especially on longer fights/multi part fights" probably should have gotten you first.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

door bosses are a special kind of hell for my static, in that we normally raid three hours per raid night

the instance for p4s (and e12s, previously) is a 2-hour lockout. so, let's say it takes us a half hour to get through door boss. then we have 90 minutes left in the instance. then we get kicked out, we take a ten minute break, and now we have 50 minutes left in the day. it feels so bad to have to get through door boss again just to have like, 20 extra minutes of "real" prog. what we've ultimately settled on is just fishing for a good instance -- if we wipe on a door boss 2-3 times, just leave and reinstance to get as much time on part 2 as possible, then when we run out that lockout, just end early. which also feels bad, in that we're not raiding as much as we'd like in one night. because we're not raiding as much as we'd like, then we get to float the possibility of raiding an extra day, which, god dude we picked our days because they're days that worked for us and trying to fit in extra just loving blows lmao

door bosses suck

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Door bosses are fine conceptually but they seem really into making them long as hell for no reason.

Remember o4s? Exdeath was like a 4 minute door, completely acceptable.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

50.1% enrage on door boss with no deaths.
Pass door boss with two deaths.
:shrug:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/PlayerPhase/status/1489446471862788099

It's spreading lol

Well done, Lice Cream.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Give Lice Cream a medal, Yoship.

Also someone translate it into Japanese so that Yoship can use it himself.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Give Lice Cream a medal, Yoship.

Also someone translate it into Japanese so that Yoship can use it himself.

What about Korean?

https://twitter.com/hikasen_ffxiv/status/1486658827088969730

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

S.J. posted:

What's this about Thighness?

https://twitter.com/Mcstronghuge/status/1487899228252819462?t=3ppQXnzHpdiQb2dDwOPG1A&s=19

I saw a handful of other people retweet denmo. Not quite the reach of Lice Cream's macro which I seem to see popping up in various places over and over again, but it's still fun to see I guess :shobon:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Door bosses are fine conceptually but they seem really into making them long as hell for no reason.

Remember o4s? Exdeath was like a 4 minute door, completely acceptable.

Even KeFaust was like 6 minutes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What are “door bosses”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

What are “door bosses”?
Basically the first phase of a battle that if you get past you start at the second phase for the rest of your duty timer. So Kefka Savage would be an example. It's called a door boss because you have to get past them to get to the 'real' boss.

it originates from other MMOs where there would literally be a boss in front of the door to the final boss or the hardest boss of the raid, but since FF14 only has one boss per raid tier it gets used for that concept. They still basically fill the same function.