Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

jiggerypokery posted:

I've heard from someone who worked with Gove at the Department for environment that he genuinely gave a poo poo about green policy, listened and worked extremely hard to the surprise of absolutely everyone.

Ill cheerfully admit that I know communist animal people who will begrudgingly argue that gove was the least bad, and you can find similar opinions from people affected by Justice dept stuff, but the horrid reality is that this is just small c conservative stuff that doesn't actually conflict with being a Tory scumbag. He's Kawczynski with the self awareness to know that you can't say poo poo like that if you want to be pm and win a general, and he looks good because he's one of very few Tory MPs that isn't purely a social arsonist. His vision of the future is still one that none of us should aspire to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The WhatsApps are leaking again

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I own part of that chopper, or maybe the elephant house at Colchester zoo, they didn't specify which

I hope they can tell the difference or that could get messy pretty quickly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

He's Kawczynski with the self awareness to know that you can't say poo poo like that if you want to be pm and win a general, and he looks good because he's one of very few Tory MPs that isn't purely a social arsonist. His vision of the future is still one that none of us should aspire to
It's spelled Kaczynski :v:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

It's spelled Kaczynski :v:

I can never remember his loving name without checking because my brain goes "don't be stupid, that's the guy best known for other works".

id also just like to say I cant believe the trots are taking down the uk government and professor furedi is sitting not two miles from me, looking at his phone, laughing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, the social arsonist with similar long term environmental views to Michael Gove.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Night of the poo poo Knives

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Night of the Wrong Wives

Spangly A posted:

id also just like to say I cant believe the trots are taking down the uk government and professor furedi is sitting not two miles from me, looking at his phone, laughing
How did the institute of ideas get their fingers in so many pies anyway?

Like not just stupid poo poo like Spiked On Line but actual good things like BPAS getting emergency contraception/termination by telemedicine legalized for the pandemic or Sense About Science opposing some of the worse woo.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60206564
Stop asking to be able to afford things you shits. It's pushing prices up.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I absolutely hate that half the press is going to continue to pretend that this has anything to do with the savile comment, which if anything has hurt Starmer rather than Boris, and they can’t claim it’s been damaging to the Prime Minister’s reputation given *gestures at everything else*

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Night of the Wrong Wives

How did the institute of ideas get their fingers in so many pies anyway?

Like not just stupid poo poo like Spiked On Line but actual good things like BPAS getting emergency contraception/termination by telemedicine legalized for the pandemic or Sense About Science opposing some of the worse woo.

I don't know but if they keep it up I'm going to kidnap Frank and beat the answers out of him. Guy's overtaking Farage if he keeps this up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would be terrible if interest went back to where it was before 2008.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1489302905152851981

:gary:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What was the deal with Starmer and Saville? He apologised for it when it all came out and was head of CPS then but was he or not at the time they decided to not prosecute?

I have failed to find out from googling cause his Wikipedia glosses over the period and everything else is just outrage articles that are fact free

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1489362453515354114

:toot:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 3, 2022

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

What was the deal with Starmer and Saville? He apologised for it when it all came out and was head of CPS then but was he or not at the time they decided to not prosecute?

I have failed to find out from googling cause his Wikipedia glosses over the period and everything else is just outrage articles that are fact free

Yes, he was dpp/head of CPS from 2008 to 2013, the saville decision in question was made by a prosecutor in 2009. One of starmers last acts was to reform prosecution of historic sex abuse cases, giving more weight to victim testimony, because he accepted that the saville decision was unacceptable.

So yeah it was completely on him but it wasn't a decision he personally made. Many decisions he personally made, including over de menezes really early on, were terrible, but terrible in ways Tories think are great. It works because lifelong saville loving Tories will say "hah, nonce" and never question it, and people not very sympathetic to Tory attack lines can fact check to find out he's a poo poo for entirely different reasons.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
On the Energy price increase stuff.

Am i right in understanding that basically the best course of action just now is to stay on the variable rate because even the new price cap is lower than the cheapest 12-month fixed rate?

The gamble essentially being that when the price cap rises again later this year it doesn't rise by an absolutely stupid amount that exceeds the current silly high fixed prices?

I'm with Octopus and let it default to the variable rate back in December because the fixed price was double what I was paying and I followed the advice to not fix at that rate. My "loyal" customer package is now sitting at 4x that if I want to switch to it (£200 a month) so kinda feel like if i'd fixed back then i'd have at least saved a little bit.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Where it gets *really* weird is... it made this exact trip, at exactly the same time (well within 2 minutes), last night as well.

I don't think it's anything suspicious, but it certainly is really bloody weird.

Training flight?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
When it comes to Gove, try to ignore his tenure at Environment where apparently he was ok, and look instead at his time at Education where he was a disaster of historic proportions, the effects of which are still being felt today by my kids and hundreds of thousands of others.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Endjinneer posted:

Stop asking to be able to afford things you shits. It's pushing prices up.
Hopefully this works just as well as when they asked people to not panic-buy toilet roll

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This dude has such an incredibly punchable face.

https://twitter.com/avasantina/status/1489379907964649474

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Kin posted:

Am i right in understanding that basically the best course of action just now is to stay on the variable rate because even the new price cap is lower than the cheapest 12-month fixed rate?

The gamble essentially being that when the price cap rises again later this year it doesn't rise by an absolutely stupid amount that exceeds the current silly high fixed prices?

As counterintuitive as it is, yes, this seems to be the best plan as of right now, and gives you the flexibility to re-evaluate at the next rise.

I'm with Shell so I fully expect they'll use their obscene profits to subsidise a competitive rate for ahahahahahahahahahahah

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Love to think of 84k as 'just paying the bills.'

Weird synchronicity, I recently finished reading 84k, an unbelievably dystopian post-Brexit Britain thriller with the Tories in full swing as they only wish they could actually do. Depressing but unsurprising, if it pops up on a Kindle deal anytime again it's worth a look.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/84K-eerily-plausible-dystopian-masterpiece-ebook/dp/B076PBVSWV/

Paying an 84k bill in the book is what hitmen do, it's the fine for murdering a regular, non-rich citizen

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kin posted:

On the Energy price increase stuff.

I'm with Octopus and let it default to the variable rate back in December because the fixed price was double what I was paying and I followed the advice to not fix at that rate. My "loyal" customer package is now sitting at 4x that if I want to switch to it (£200 a month) so kinda feel like if i'd fixed back then i'd have at least saved a little bit.

Basically yeah. Keep an eye on moneysavingexpert in the future and they'll tell you the best course of action but looks like it's going to be a bloodbath for the next 6 months at least.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/1487502292202962950
the byelection to replace Amess was held today, given the circumstances no-one fielded a candidate against the Tories apart from UKIP, who have duly come in 4th, behind Spoilt Ballots and 'Jason Pilley of the Psychedelic Movement'.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Hate to admit it: they're playing a blinder with this Savile stuff.

There can't be a person in the country who hasn't heard about the connection between Starmer & Savile now. I'd never heard of it before. And apologies in the format of "I apologise for saying my opponent is a MASSIVE NONCE, even though there are mountains of evidence that you should look into yourselves, it's true that he was never actually found guilty.". It's Cameron & the pig again.

And that's yet another reason why Starters got to go.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Mourning Due posted:

Hate to admit it: they're playing a blinder with this Savile stuff.

There can't be a person in the country who hasn't heard about the connection between Starmer & Savile now. I'd never heard of it before. And apologies in the format of "I apologise for saying my opponent is a MASSIVE NONCE, even though there are mountains of evidence that you should look into yourselves, it's true that he was never actually found guilty.". It's Cameron & the pig again.

And that's yet another reason why Starters got to go.

It's amazing that Kieths defence is just "my 'I am not a nonce protector' shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by my shirt"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/UKIP/status/1487502292202962950
the byelection to replace Amess was held today, given the circumstances no-one fielded a candidate against the Tories apart from UKIP, who have duly come in 4th, behind Spoilt Ballots and 'Jason Pilley of the Psychedelic Movement'.

I'm very interested to see the breakdown of the spoilt ballots, when it's delivered. It's unusual to even have 50 spoilt ballots; for there to be almost 1,100 of them - enough for them to retain their deposit and more than any losing candidate - is extremely unusual.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jedit posted:

I'm very interested to see the breakdown of the spoilt ballots, when it's delivered. It's unusual to even have 50 spoilt ballots; for there to be almost 1,100 of them - enough for them to retain their deposit and more than any losing candidate - is extremely unusual.

Well it was a very unusual by-election. there was no one running to the left of the Tories given the circumstances. I guess at least a 1100 people who would normally vote lab lib or green wanted to show they were engaged politically but didn't like any of the choices.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
:newdanger:

That's how I spoiled my vote last time.

Edit: ... And plan to into the future at this point.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 4, 2022

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Luke Pollard was posting about returning to the shadow front bench which led me to look up who the outgoing MP was, and it was Kinnock. I hoped he'd been kicked out or resigned in shame or something but no, turns out he's now shadow immigration minister

https://twitter.com/Obscurantistx/status/1489320700435439620?t=oMwJGsL57Lb_eC9tGphojg&s=09

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I beleive people would refer to that view as quote - loving depressing - unquote.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

So they brought forwards three firings to distract from one real resignation, but forgot to media manage them and now it's a giant mess that makes them look like clowns?

Actually yes, that's very plausible for the Johnson government.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Can't believe Kieth got 0% of the vote in Southend West, he needs to go immediately

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

*checks earpiece* Another SPAD has left the building

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Well it was a very unusual by-election. there was no one running to the left of the Tories given the circumstances. I guess at least a 1100 people who would normally vote lab lib or green wanted to show they were engaged politically but didn't like any of the choices.

Put it this way: there are reports that two people wrote messages demanding that Boris resign. If it's all Lib Dems using their franchise to send a message, why report on the two? And if it's more than two, why say it was only two?

Normally spoilt ballots break down into six categories: no official stamp, no mark, more than one mark, voter's intent cannot be deciphered, voter can be identified, and message sent to a candidate. I want to know how many of the 1100 fell into the last category.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Don't ask for a big pay rise, warns Bank of England boss

I love that this man has the audacity, the gall and the gumpton with a salary of £500,000 to let that come out of his mouth. Clown.
This country is a nightmare.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Femi_Sorry/status/1489384590246649860

quote:

"I'm amongst a minority that rather likes him, actually, and he reminds me of a character in an Oceans Eleven film.
Technically he may be a conman and might be the bad guy, but you want to see if he gets away with it. And how he did it.
And a part of me thinks he might get away with it. He might pull of one more great con."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

lol this country is diseased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Easy to take that view if you're completely insulated from the actual consequences of having a "bad guy" in charge

But imagine being (a)a big enough oval office to think like that, & (b)stupid enough to just think that's a normal thing to go on TV and say :psyduck: