Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Picked this up and loving it so far, although I keep getting my rear end kicked. I feel like this game could use slightly more of a tutorial - I was a few hours in before I realized you could buy more than just fuel in the "Supplies" screen, for example.

Is there a way to save a ship design you generate (either in the editor or the in-game shipworks) and then tell the game to refit a ship you find to match that design? I know you can pick which design a damaged ship gets repaired to, but I'm wondering if you can do that for non-damaged ships, or if you can pick from a library of saved designs in some way.

Are the cool designs that people post (e.g. the one in the post above mine) actually something people use in the campaign or just something they whipped up in the editor? If the former, how do you find the time/resources to do major refits to custom designs while in the campaign?

Is there a hotkey in the shipworks to place another of whatever you just placed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Bold Robot posted:

Are the cool designs that people post (e.g. the one in the post above mine) actually something people use in the campaign or just something they whipped up in the editor? If the former, how do you find the time/resources to do major refits to custom designs while in the campaign?

At the very start of a campaign, when you spend points to draft your initial fleet, the custom designs you've created in the Shipworks will be available as options.

They won't appear at shops during the game, so you won't be able to easily replace any custom ships that get destroyed, but your time/resources pressure will substantially lessen if you can start off with a fleet that can take strike groups head-on without much damage.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a hotkey in the shipworks to place another of whatever you just placed?

Hold shift when placing

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Bold Robot posted:

Shift-click when placing a part

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Holding Shift key as you place a part will keep a copy of that part held in your cursor, so you can keep placing copies down.

Beyond what was already said about the utility of bringing custom ships at campaign start, it's actually pretty easy to take a long time overhauling ships, as long as you're not doing a total scratch build. Getting your location reported doesn't do very much if you're not close to the front line where your fleet is raiding. Strike groups move very slowly and tactical groups barely move at all. If you keep hitting Intel cities (a fast custom courier ship with good fuel economy is great for this), you'll be able to see exactly how safe you are. Or you can go to a city of the Hidden People and take as long as you want.

I don't like hauling around fuel wasteful death bricks from the start, so I'm in the habit of refitting whatever junk I get from recruited Tarkhans into my strike group killers. Sometimes you get an Archangel which doesn't need many tweaks, sometimes you get a Negev and need to spend a long time in the shop. Courier ship helps with rounding up all the parts you need in one place, too.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks all for the tips. So it sounds like once I've built up a little extra starting cash, it makes sense to take the standard pair of lightnings/skylarks but also something heavier. And I guess if I can make custom designs, then I can just start with the upgunned Lightnings I always put together as soon as I can find Molots.

How should I be using carriers from a strategic/operational perspective? I had been thinking of using carriers to knock out a city's defenses and then having a fast ship follow up immediately after to take the city, grab any useful modules, and then bounce. But it seems like hitting a city with planes automatically generates a spotting report, unless I'm doing something wrong?

Vanilla Bison posted:

If you keep hitting Intel cities (a fast custom courier ship with good fuel economy is great for this), you'll be able to see exactly how safe you are.

Do you mean attacking fresh intel cities, or can you somehow double dip on one that you've already knocked over?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Bold Robot posted:

Do you mean attacking fresh intel cities, or can you somehow double dip on one that you've already knocked over?

They regenerate points over time. So if you have a fast courier (a bridge, fuel tank, and engine) you can fly back and reuse ones you've captured. If clicking the buttons don't update anything on the map it means that the last update is still correct and you don't have to spend the points. A skylark also works but is not quite as fuel efficient.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Bold Robot posted:

Both. Intel regenerates slowly (but doesn't go above 5) and after you've killed the garrison and entered the city the first time then afterward the map tooltip shows the intel available to decide which city to re-visit and when (like when you're sending your courier on a shopping run to buy replacement parts)

edit: also if you leave a ship in an intel city, and you've already located all of the tactical fleets on the map, you can attempt to scan for them just to verify that all of them are still parked or whether e.g. a missile group has started moving to try to hut down your flagship.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 13, 2021

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

How should I be using carriers from a strategic/operational perspective? I had been thinking of using carriers to knock out a city's defenses and then having a fast ship follow up immediately after to take the city, grab any useful modules, and then bounce. But it seems like hitting a city with planes automatically generates a spotting report, unless I'm doing something wrong?
Carriers are the most versatile tool in the game. Once you have a stock of AA missiles and bombs, they can solve any problem with the sole exception of taking out manueverable ships that are already in the air.

Air strikes don't generate the same kind of spotting report that ships do. Instead of "Hey, enemy here, send a strike group, and BTW raise the alarm for 12 hours," it's just "Be on alert for the next 6 hours." After an alarm is raised, garrison ships will take off, but it still takes them time to get into the air. So if you want to soften up a garrison for your raiding party, you should calculate the arrival time and launch the planes so that they strike less than 20-30 min before your ships arrive. That way you'll still get the main benefits of a sudden strike: the garrison will still be on the ground for your ships to plink at, you'll avoid an actual spotting report centered at where your ships landed, and you'll only have 6 hrs to wait before the alarm clears for more sudden striking. (Don't try this on a city where a fresh aircraft carrier group is parked, they'll launch planes with AA missiles to intercept yours as you come in and shred your bombers. Missile groups also pack sprint defenses, so the first planes you send in at them will probably bite it.)

In practice I find it's a lot of busywork to line up coordinated bombing runs like this, so I personally only do this at that mid-game transitional phase when garrisons start packing stuff like Gladiators and taking them on with a single Lightning gets really hairy without either bombs or expensive ammo. The size of the city dot on the map roughly corresponds to the strength of its garrison, which helps a lot estimating what's worth setting up a bombiing run on. Once I have ships suited for fighting beefier garrisons, the carriers can return to an air defense and anti-strike group role.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The easy way to do coordinated air strikes is to run pocket carriers with your attack forces. 2 to 4 T-7s on a 400 km/h fuel tank and don't launch until the yellow spotting bar is already triggered. I use it if I'm going full power custom ships and it's fairly effective. That said often I'll be holding the 4 T-7s in reserve for missile defense.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

1.15 beta patch notes:

code:
1. Fixed the bug with fuel for strike forces.
2. Fixed a bug with enemy refueling in hidden cities.
3. Fixed bugs and exploits with refueling and repairing aircraft.
4. Fixed the drawing of the squadron on the global map after it sends/returns aircraft.
5. Fixed bug with sublists in editor.
6. Added exit from the battle to the title screen.
7. Fixed a bug which caused a money penalty after losing negotiations.
8. Fixed bug with combining module slots when repairing ships.
9. Fixed bug with disappearance of player's ships.
10. Corrected armor weight.
11. Fixed bug with reloading of player's APS.
12. Fixed crash in map mode when using navigational tools.
13. In the battle incorrectly calculated sectors where you can shoot depending on the overlap of the guns and turn the ship's hull.
14. Fixed bug with possibility to choose a transport at campaign start (it was sold at once).
15. Fixed bug with freezing ELINT level in player's squadron.
16. Fixed bug with displaying the purchase price in Supplies for last money.
17. Fixed a bug which caused the GUI to not update when merging squadrons in map mode, such as the list of available missiles.
18. Fixed the incorrect position of the thrust slider in map mode during detailing.
19. Added ability to move the camera while dragging.
20. Fixed errors with display of squadron's flying range on the map and on the mini-screen.
21. Fixed corrected shells operation.
22. Fixed mathematical calculation of the weight of the systems in the ship.
23. Fixed an error in fuel purchase calculations due to rounding.
24. Added bindings for 4 and 5 mouse buttons.
25. Bindings for up/down/left/right buttons now work in map mode and editor.
26. Fixed incorrect amount of resources for armor modules and hull parts.
27. Fixed disappearance of Supplies after a battle in a captured city.
28. 57mm and 100mm in one ship are now assigned to different firing buttons.
29. Small fix in player warning logic on IRST.
30. Fixed bug with AI use of nuclear weapons.
31. Marching engines can be rotated 90 degrees.
32. Added correct torque for marching engines.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1434950/discussions/0/3192486635088070647/

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Where are custom ship designs stored? I've been playing this across two computers and don't really care about syncing campaign progress, but I don't want to have to design stuff twice.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Where are custom ship designs stored? I've been playing this across two computers and don't really care about syncing campaign progress, but I don't want to have to design stuff twice.

steamapps\common\Highfleet\Ships

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think I'm getting the hang of this game now, and I've just walloped my first strike fleet with aircraft. Got a good feeling this run is going to succeed, and evidently the game agrees because it gifted me a free Vega in my second city. :psyduck:

Never seen one before, but it's ridiculous. Seven molots mean it's putting out 130mm shells like flak, but the top armour is stripped off to mount 6 nuclear missiles and a massive central fuel tank blocks half your guns at any one time. It's a nuclear brawler. Stripping out the missiles and moving the guns has turned this thing into a beast that can probably solo a strike fleet. It's fuel consumption is terrifying, sadly, but once I find a hidden city to really get to work on this beauty we're really going to be cooking with gas.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
I just got this game cuz I'm late to the party but drat its cool as hell and I've restarted now that I have a clue of what I'm doing. Can any Tarkhans give me some spoiler-free tips on the early to mid game? I am enjoying the steep learning curve but I've def been doing the YouTube tutorial hunt to understand uhhhh.... every weapons system.

Super in love with carriers and find their flexibility super important. Right now I'm finding I can first strike garrisons on the ground pretty much uncontested, but would like to learn how else I can use jets and if there are any B I G S T R A T S that folks enjoy. Also please someone explain to me how ballistic missiles work because they seem super important for big ship combat.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In order of importance:
1) Turn off your radar (click on the infinity button under it). Enemy Fleets pick you up on their elint, and fire off cruise missiles in that direction
2) Rebuild the Sevastopol. You need to get the speed up ASAP, and remove the ammo cache next to the bridge. Large scale changes should be done in repair cities or hidden cities, but in general you should retool it to focus on either strategic capabilites (planes, missiles, radar, fuel), or tactical (guns, armour). Strategic is about an order of magnitude more powerful.
3) You can buy special ammo in the supply shops. Just scroll to the right. You load this up at the start of the tactical combat. Prox ammo shreds, armour piercing pierces (at closish range), laser guided can be guided to all hit the same spot. All of these can trivialise tough fights. Aircraft can get long range rockets, 100 and 250 kg bombs, and anti air missiles. Only T7s can fire aa missiles, but they swat other planes and missiles out of the air
4) Airplanes eat strike groups. Strip all the armour off your carriers for speed. If you spot a strike group, send in a few planes with rockets. If they launch a SPRINT missile at the plane, immediately retreat and you'll save the plane. One they run out of sprints, send in the bombs. Never send planes in groups larger than 3. Ideally just 1 or 2 at a time.
5) Elint spots enemy radar and gives a direction. This is always a strike group. You can use two Elints on different groups to triangulate it's position.
6) Use your own strike groups liberally to take towns at start. Standard starting fleets always include at least two Lightnings and Skylarks for this.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

Super in love with carriers and find their flexibility super important. Right now I'm finding I can first strike garrisons on the ground pretty much uncontested, but would like to learn how else I can use jets and if there are any B I G S T R A T S that folks enjoy. Also please someone explain to me how ballistic missiles work because they seem super important for big ship combat.

Enough planes can solve almost every problem. The big ships of strike groups are too slow to dodge bombs even while they're in the air, and T-7s with anti-air missiles are the best defense against cruise missiles besides not being seen. The only drawback of planes is getting $7500 worth of equipment smoked by the enemy's sprint missile defenses, but you can avoid that by sending a cruise missile in first to soak up the sprints, or even just juking the sprints with a well-timed press of the retreat button (and then sending the planes back in again immediately after, planes can keep engaging and retreating as much as you like before dropping their payload).

A guide to cruise missiles: there are three kinds.
  • A-100s are anti-missile missiles. They have a very short range (400km), fly extremely fast (up to 4000kph), and seem to be guaranteed to eliminate any missile they strike. $1500 per shot is pretty expensive defense, but cheaper than eating missiles. They do fine damage against enemy ships, but the short range makes that more of a backup plan.
  • KH-15s are the bread and butter strike missile. 1600km range, 900kph flight speed. They emit a radar cone once they arm to home in on their targets, and they'll lock onto anything that enters that radar cone: garrisons, flying enemy ships, your ships, even planes. If your own ships or planes are in the mix, you should be very careful with your arming distance or use KH-15Ps instead. If your target is moving, scout their heading and speed and do the math to figure out where they'll actually be when your missile arrives. Or don't be surprised when your $1500 missile sails on past.
  • KH-15Ps have the same stats but instead of locking on indiscriminately, once they arm they emit a 100km radius ELINT circle. The missile will only home in on anything emitting radar within that circle. This means they can't hit anything that isn't packing radar, which makes them dedicated anti-strike group missiles. Enemy jamming reduces the size of a normal KH-15 radar cone, but it increases the detection radius of a KH-15P, because they're homing in on the jammer itself rather than trying to see through the "noise."

Whenever you draw a missile arrow on the map, what you're really setting is the heading and the arming distance. The missile will travel in the direction you set, until 100km BEFORE the end of the arrow, it will arm and start looking for targets. It will keep flying in that same direction waiting for targets to enter its detection radius until it either finds something or hits its maximum range and vanishes.

Missiles are reasonably powerful but they tend to strike ships on the "shoulders," which is where most vanilla ships are most heavily armored. So don't expect missiles to take out strike groups by themselves, but by punching big holes in enemy armor, they can make it much easier for your own strike team to pop them and scoop up some juicy loot.

All of these missiles have nuclear versions. The nukes work exactly the same, but their impact on the target is an enormous AOE explosion that affects every ship in the struck fleet. Don't get hit by nukes.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just to add, cruise missiles are generally pretty weak compared to the all conquering beasts that are aircraft. In contrast to cruise missiles, those bombs drop directly onto the top of cruisers, where a lot of them keep their most vital components including the bridge.

Nuclear missiles are another matter. An armoured ship can survive a blast, but it will take hideous damage and so will it's friends. But once you fire a nuclear missile, every enemy missile automatically become nuclear so make sure that you know how to stop them, or at least nuke them first.

Edit: talking myself into a nuclear run. Those booms are just so juicy.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 1, 2022

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Cruise missiles aren't as efficient or versatile as planes, but they do have one big undocumented advantage: they don't set off alarms. If you're being stealthy, airstrikes require some care with the timing of your ship attacks. But getting blasted by a missile strike is apparently just another day in Gerat. So for the price of a missile you can "scout" an enemy fleet composition.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Eyy thanks for the tips everyone, I'll definitely apply this to my slow knowledge of this kinda vast and interesting... Role playing game set in Hungarian dune? Late 70s naval simulator in petrolpunk flavor? This extremely Star Control-rear end diplomacy simulator against hopeless odds?

My only caveat is that I am avoiding cheese, for now. This game seems almost too minmax-able and I am worried that if too much challenge is melted away it might make it feel stale.

Already hope we get some future content pack that adds more everything. Game is fun and can be kinda relaxing when I'm not fast forwarding movement all the time.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
An update actually just dropped a few days ago:

quote:

Hi everyone! We have updated the version of the game. This time only bug fixes and improvements.

1. Fixed the bug with fuel for strike forces.
2. Fixed a bug with enemy refueling in hidden cities.
3. Fixed bugs and exploits with refueling and repairing aircraft.
4. Fixed the drawing of the squadron on the global map after it sends/returns aircraft.
5. Fixed bug with sublists in editor.
6. Added exit from the battle to the title screen.
7. Fixed a bug which caused a money penalty after losing negotiations.
8. Fixed bug with combining module slots when repairing ships.
9. Fixed bug with disappearance of player's ships.
10. Corrected armor weight.
11. Fixed bug with reloading of player's APS.
12. Fixed crash in map mode when using navigational tools.
13. In the battle incorrectly calculated sectors where you can shoot depending on the overlap of the guns and turn the ship's hull.
14. Fixed bug with possibility to choose a transport at campaign start (it was sold at once).
15. Fixed bug with freezing ELINT level in player's squadron.
16. Fixed bug with displaying the purchase price in Supplies for last money.
17. Fixed a bug which caused the GUI to not update when merging squadrons in map mode, such as the list of available missiles.
18. Fixed the incorrect position of the thrust slider in map mode during detailing.
19. Added ability to move the camera while dragging.
20. Fixed errors with display of squadron's flying range on the map and on the mini-screen.
21. Fixed corrected shells operation.
22. Fixed mathematical calculation of the weight of the systems in the ship.
23. Fixed an error in fuel purchase calculations due to rounding.
24. Added bindings for 4 and 5 mouse buttons.
25. Bindings for up/down/left/right buttons now work in map mode and editor.
26. Fixed incorrect amount of resources for armor modules and hull parts.
27. Fixed disappearance of Supplies after a battle in a captured city.
28. 57mm and 100mm in one ship are now assigned to different firing buttons.
29. Small fix in player warning logic on IRST.
30. Fixed bug with AI use of nuclear weapons.
31. Marching engines can be rotated 90 degrees.
32. Added correct torque for marching engines.
33. Each enemy ship uses only one type of special ammo (as does the player).

Marching engines are the fixed engines that don't rotate. So now you can put them on the sides or top of your ship, and they'll actually provide the proper forces for maneuvering.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Oh interesting, enemies only use one type of special ammo. Curious as to how that'll work out if you can start a fight with a light fighter to proc lots of proximity fuze ammo and then quickly swap to an armored brawler that barely notices those shots. When do enemies make the ammo choice? Pre-fight, or when they spawn? Either way, it's a good thing. I guess in bigger fights, newly spawning in enemies may choose a more appropriate ammo type to attack your current ship but then you can retreat it again to bring in the next one...

Sad that no one uses incendiary ammo. It's hilarious to use with the CIWS gun, it makes the lack of damage inconsequential when you simply set everything on fire with a little blurp of shooting.

e: \/\/ ah well that's too bad

El Spamo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 1, 2022

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

El Spamo posted:

Oh interesting, enemies only use one type of special ammo.

Sadly this does not seem to be actually implemented, the enemy ships will happily alternate between AP and proxy fuse still.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

The "corrected armor weight" change was also only implemented for like one day and then rolled back. Hull and reinforced hull piece weights are now standardized (a triangle weighs as much as a full block) but the armor weights are back to 1.14 values (a triangle weighs much less than a full block).

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think the ammo change, when it actually happens, will be really good for giving enemy ships more character (assuming it's chassis specific). So, maybe Gladiator always loads up the prox fuse, so it's more of a specialist anti-Lightning unit rather than the generalist beast it is now.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Role playing game set in Hungarian dune?

it's actually the deep cut alternative prequel to Homeworld. Gerat is the deep antiquity equivalent to Kharak, etc. nukes flied out and a thousand of years later they tried again with a back-to-roots religious movement and the whole tribal nations thing

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know the vanilla high fleet ships do look a lot like Kharak ships or their weird sand carriers from the prequel.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Yeah I am definitely feeling the Homeworld influences, but the way it plays honestly reminds me a lot of Star Control 2 due to the diplomatic layer, the way the combat layer behaves and the "hopeless mission" feel.

Any spoiler-free tips on navigating the peoples of Gerat? I just restarted my campaign again after nuclear ash turned the world black and my very undefined personality stats let to me throwing a bunch of awful speeches one after the other that made me realize that I think I didn't quite build my character well in conversations. But I'm finding with every restart I have a much better time handling combat and airnaval guerilla war. Curious if the game has a built in handicap cuz its my third playthrough and I've been given THREE Kormorants so far, one of which I sold for delicious money and I still have two more.

Absolutely adoring this game, it's such a feeling. I hope it gets more content or another game some day because I want to know more about Gerat and beyond.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Those morale loses weren't too big a deal unless you were already running low, I would have said to keep riding and burn any morale boosting loyalty calls you can but never mind now.

The game definitely rewards you having +2 or +3 in Worldviews once you hit mid-game. By and large the specifics don't matter, but you get some interesting results from Faith, and you should ask yourself if the world of nuclear missile totting flying tanks is a natural match for Kindness.

Edit: while it's very tempting to haul cruisers around, ask yourself if they're actually doing anything for you other than burning megatons of fuel. If not, scrap 'em.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 2, 2022

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

Those morale loses weren't too big a deal unless you were already running low, I would have said to keep riding and burn any morale boosting loyalty calls you can but never mind now.

The game definitely rewards you having +2 or +3 in Worldviews once you hit mid-game. By and large the specifics don't matter, but you get some interesting results from Faith, and you should ask yourself if the world of nuclear missile totting flying tanks is a natural match for Kindness.

Edit: while it's very tempting to haul cruisers around, ask yourself if they're actually doing anything for you other than burning megatons of fuel. If not, scrap 'em.

I was mostly embarrassed at the really bad speeches I was giving and was worried I was missing out on good negotiation opportunities. The big ships are neat for uhm, enduring cruise missile attacks that might otherwise all hit the Sevastopol and my carrier but their missile defense isnt all that great. I would like a gepard or two in my main fleet to deter tactical and strategic weapons.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The basic principles for dealing with enemy cruise missiles:
1) turn off your radar! Never turn it on again unless you absolutely have to.
2) do not be within Strike group radar range
3) do not leave the Sevastopol where the enemy has radioed in a sighting
4) don't hang about within range of a tactical missile group if an alarm has gone off.

If you have an incoming missile (thermal signature detected) the best ways to survive are:
1) T7 armed with AA missile
2) Seriously, send in a T7. Always keep some in reserve for defence.
3) A ship with decent Fire Control Radar and multiple SPRINTS detaches to intercept. SPRINTS are great, 37mm guns are a last resort. You'll probably need to rebuild the stock ships to bring their speed up. I find Gepards are overbuild and shoot out their own radar dishes, and Fenixs are underbuilt and much too slow.
4) A100 missiles are a competent but expensive anti air solution.

Once I have a decent amount of T7s for missile shielding aa ships are a waste and Gepards get rebuilt into makeshift Gladiators and Fenixes become fast sensor ships or A100 carriers.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 2, 2022

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
Yeah I've only just tried using jets for missile defense but I also just endured a huge battle with two strike groups and a carrier group that caught me on the ground

... with my damaged air force was refueling, my light strike craft heavily damaged, my whole fleet on the ground taking on a constant barrage of tactical missiles I used my two giant cruisers to slug through a strike group I'd softened up with aircraft. Definitely limped into port to repair but met with a Tarkhan and can afford the repairs fine so... not awful? Is it part of a normal run to sometimes be absolutely covered in scabs and holes from constant fighting that you didnt plan for? Figuring its war after all.

Some notes about my play right now
- I'm holding onto a supply of nukes but have been selling extras when I get low on cash, trying to keep at least 3 though my only tactical launcher is the sevastopol. I don't see much use for them right now and they aren't that rare so I havent felt that worried. Should I be hoarding them?
- I am enjoying my cruisers because even though they're expensive to fly around I was able to take on a SG of 4 ships with a combo of air strikes and my big mans. Also their CWIS and missile defense aint the worst. Also I got hella range from a full fueling and I really appreciate having that flexibility.
- I'm super timid about putting any upgrades on my existing ships and I'm not sure what I should consider if I want to. So besides new ammo everyone is stock.
- Currently playing with a Romani + Faith bend, though it's really tempting to go a bit more Lawrence of Arabia I have reached nuclear darkness again but I did much better on the speech checks and I'm sticking to my walloped but financially positive fleet thus far
- Every time I look at my carrier I wish it had a bigger, more protected flight deck and tactical weapons.
- ... speaking of which, how should I integrate tactical missile ships into my fleet? They aren't that expensive and I sure don't like being flogged with missiles but it looks fun to do to my enemies.
- I want more fast jets I wish more drat stores had replacement craft for sale
- I have a single fast strike craft after my most recent series of disasters. What default craft do folks recommend for this role? What are some preferred upgrades? I do love the light ASMs a lot.

Thanks again from everyone inputting for tips! It's been super helpful

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 3, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In this game there is a very strict split between the Strategic and Tactical layers. Components that are useful on one are nearly useless on the other. So in a tactical fight all a radar does is get shot off and cost a bomb to repair. If you expect a ship to see tactical combat, the first thing you should do is pull off the sensors.

Conversely, a strategic asset should never see tactical combat (ie, a carrier, a cruise missile ship, a sensor ship and tankers). You should immediately strip them of armour and guns heavier than 57mm. You'll notice that a stripped dow Longbow can go significantly faster and farther, making it very useful for sneaking into the desert by itself to support your Lightnings strike groups. While we're the topic, it's vital to make changes to the Sevastopol. It's crushingly slow and that radar is just a big shoot missiles at me sign.

Do not add armour above you flight decks. If anything is hitting your carriers, you've made a catastrophic mistake somewhere (you aren't keeping all these ships in one big blob are you?). Fix that mistake rather than making carriers worse at their job.

It sounds like your doing something basic wrong to be eating so many missile strikes. Watch Phrosphur's playthrough for how you should play, at least up the first Strike Group elimination. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRY6EVZy1IhrPd772pySUF0mB7m06uFyf

Tactical missiles get slotted onto 2x1 blocks in the ship editor, and are launched by pressing space in combat. They are a good way of punching above your weight when Gladiators start showing up.

You should be using Lightnings paired with Skylarks as your initial strike groups. A Lighting can easily solo an early game garrison or convoy. Most player will take two or three pairs and capture most of the lower map with them in just a few days.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 3, 2022

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

In this game there is a very strict split between the Strategic and Tactical layers. Components that are useful on one are nearly useless on the other. So in a tactical fight all a radar does is get shot off and cost a bomb to repair. If you expect a ship to see tactical combat, the first thing you should do is pull off the sensors.

Yeah I have had to use my Sevastopol a few times this run to finish off some damaged strike groups (and scavenge) and the limited damage I received (in uh, most encounters) put some pain on my electronics but hasn't destroyed them.

Bug Squash posted:

Conversely, a strategic asset should never see tactical combat (ie, a carrier, a cruise missile ship, a sensor ship and tankers). You should immediately strip them of armour and guns heavier than 57mm. You'll notice that a stripped dow Longbow can go significantly faster and farther, making it very useful for sneaking into the desert by itself to support your Lightnings strike groups. While we're the topic, it's vital to make changes to the Sevastopol. It's crushingly slow and that radar is just a big shoot missiles at me sign.

I like keeping some radar for freighter hunting and its virtually always off, only kept for pinging a transport group then changing direction. Stripping a longbow seems like a good idea though personally I also wish they had electronics suites. My current playthrough has resulted in me having currently 5 (!) carriers including 2x longbow and 3x wasp. Having a ton of aircraft has saved my rear end mostly because I have lost all of my light strike craft at the moment and am trying to limp to a safe place to get mercs. And yeah the Sevastopol is super slow and I'm not using it correctly for the most part.

Bug Squash posted:

Do not add armour above you flight decks. If anything is hitting your carriers, you've made a catastrophic mistake somewhere (you aren't keeping all these ships in one big blob are you?). Fix that mistake rather than making carriers worse at their job.

I'm trying to learn to unblob my forces more but the main issue is that currently my only good self defense ship is my Sevastopol. The rest are flat tops and a light tactical missile ship.

Bug Squash posted:

It sounds like your doing something basic wrong to be eating so many missile strikes. Watch Phrosphur's playthrough for how you should play, at least up the first Strike Group elimination. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRY6EVZy1IhrPd772pySUF0mB7m06uFyf

This is mega helpful! I've been going for way too large of ships in the early game and while I was using skylarks I didn't understand how to give them more fuel (my current run has had no light tankers.)

Bug Squash posted:

Tactical missiles get slotted onto 2x1 blocks in the ship editor, and are launched by pressing space in combat. They are a good way of punching above your weight when Gladiators start showing up.

Are they reloaded with manual part installation in the shipyard? Or only when the module is destroyed in combat? I'm still a little confused by how their rearm works.

Bug Squash posted:

You should be using Lightnings paired with Skylarks as your initial strike groups. A Lighting can easily solo an early game garrison or convoy. Most player will take two or three pairs and capture most of the lower map with them in just a few days.

Definitely doing that, seeing phosphur do it and explain it really helps.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Radar is really useful and when judiciously applied can really open things up.

Trade fleets rarely have ELINT, only if they're escorted by a big cruiser, so they're a good target for getting range on them. Same for garrisons, but then again you don't need radar to know there's a garrison somewhere. Strike groups always have ELINT of some kind, but not always great.
ELINT doesn't raise an alarm afaik, but it does make SG's "curious" and start roaming around looking for that ELINT contact.

Using radar in the sector-scan mode keeps emissions from leaking outside of it, so you can use that mode to scan a section of sky or ground (if you're looking for hidden cities) if you're confident that there's no ELINT sensors in that cone. Basically keep the sector-scan pointed south most of the time for safety, and if you're considerate about which way you point that thing you can use radar more often than you think.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

El Spamo posted:

Radar is really useful and when judiciously applied can really open things up.

Trade fleets rarely have ELINT, only if they're escorted by a big cruiser, so they're a good target for getting range on them. Same for garrisons, but then again you don't need radar to know there's a garrison somewhere. Strike groups always have ELINT of some kind, but not always great.
ELINT doesn't raise an alarm afaik, but it does make SG's "curious" and start roaming around looking for that ELINT contact.

Using radar in the sector-scan mode keeps emissions from leaking outside of it, so you can use that mode to scan a section of sky or ground (if you're looking for hidden cities) if you're confident that there's no ELINT sensors in that cone. Basically keep the sector-scan pointed south most of the time for safety, and if you're considerate about which way you point that thing you can use radar more often than you think.

The only hidden city I've found was by accident, so do I use radar or IR to look for them? I got a caravan clue for a hidden city and roved around unable to find it before I moved on.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

The only hidden city I've found was by accident, so do I use radar or IR to look for them? I got a caravan clue for a hidden city and roved around unable to find it before I moved on.

Generally hidden cities are >800km from other cities so it can help to look for long mostly-straight roads that lead out into big empty patches on the map. Or whenever you've got a fleet crossing a big gap you can zoom in and watch for roads that aren't near the big lines connecting cities.

Also you can toggle radar into ground-scanning mode which will show some big confusing blobs and a lot of false positives, but if you already suspect where a hidden city is this can help you find it a bit faster than simply following roads.

(e: obviously this also requires turning on you radar which, as noted, isn't always optimal)

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

silentsnack posted:

Generally hidden cities are >800km from other cities so it can help to look for long mostly-straight roads that lead out into big empty patches on the map. Or whenever you've got a fleet crossing a big gap you can zoom in and watch for roads that aren't near the big lines connecting cities.

Also you can toggle radar into ground-scanning mode which will show some big confusing blobs and a lot of false positives, but if you already suspect where a hidden city is this can help you find it a bit faster than simply following roads.

(e: obviously this also requires turning on you radar which, as noted, isn't always optimal)

If I use a directional pulse to the front of me, would it be undetectable by an enemy ELINT behind me? Or are directional- and omni- pulses always detectable from any direction by ELINT?

edit: realizing El Spammo already answered this. Thank you for that! I know that the easily interpreted meta is RADAR UNSAFE but sometimes I am hunting and as I get better at this game I figure there will be times when I'm sharking and looking for a fight.

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 3, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Are they reloaded with manual part installation in the shipyard? Or only when the module is destroyed in combat? I'm still a little confused by how their rearm works.

Missiles are manually added in the ship builder. Once they are gone you need to reinstall them manually, and you need to have a missile in your inventory or in the shop to do it. The Sevastopol is plastered in excess missiles, so it's a good source of both sprints and zeniths.

Sprints can go into any 1x1 frame, and Zeniths go into a 1x2 space. For cruise missiles you need to place two 2x2 frames on top of each other, then slot a missile into that. This converts the whole thing into a silo (AFAIK, this is purely a visual change).

Also, lol at your fleet of 5 carriers. That should trivialise the rest of the game. Walk that nonsense to Khiva.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

Also, lol at your fleet of 5 carriers. That should trivialise the rest of the game. Walk that nonsense to Khiva.

I wasn't a bad enough dude and got caught by a strike group after kicking rear end for a while, also fighting two carrier groups at once. The fleet in general got kinda hosed. Am I wrong assuming that aircraft can't silent strike a garrison fully? I am not sure how they get alarms off sometimes.

I did however take my hopeless situation as an excuse to turn the key on NUCLEAR WAR and bullseye'd a strike group on my first shot, getting off three more (with one interception) before I was buried by srmbs with nuclear tips. This game is really grim!!!

Started a new campaign with my good monies and a better understanding of how to raid with tankers and I am doing.... WAY better in a shorter time. I see why the lighting is popular and I finally have a sense of how to commit upgrades to a craft that make sense, using scavenged parts for more than money.

Also I'm realizing the morale penalty from restarts makes this game way more forgiving than I originally thought. When I exposed my crews to nuclear death the last run (furthest I'd been yet) they all had excellent morale.

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 4, 2022