Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RatHat posted:

EDIT: By the way it’s weird that the official name of the set is “Thor’s Hammer”. Is Mjolnir not recognizable enough? Is there some copyright issue even though the nameplate calls it Mjolnir?

I figure it's the same thing that leads to Star Wars sets being named after the ship owner.

Being easier to pronounce helps too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's cause a 8 year old can say "I want Thor's Hammer Legos for my birthday" not "I want mjolnir"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
That hammer sucks on ice but me and my kid just did the Friends set that's like a campground, 41700, and it's awesome and detailed and he loves the gently caress out of it. So that's good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I figure it's the same thing that leads to Star Wars sets being named after the ship owner.

Darth Vaders house set. Sounds pretty cool.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Plot twist: the gimmick for the Mjolnir set is that you genuinely, honest to god, for real cannot pick it up after you finish building it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Xenomrph posted:

Plot twist: the gimmick for the Mjolnir set is that you genuinely, honest to god, for real cannot pick it up after you finish building it.

The interior of the Mjolnir set is exclusively 73090b:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cloks posted:

and yet they still make police sets :thunk:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are those big grey tiles on Thors Hammer the lovely ones with the mold marks that never look as good as the promo shots?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Okay, well I guess Star Wars isn't gonna be this year's leader for big boring gray builds for once.

Anyway, here's something neat for anyone as excited as me about these Speed Champions sets: an interview/presentation with RacingBrick from last year, showing off the then-prototype 2022 SC sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfnuoAO-dAM

Some highlights:

- The person in the video, designer Christopher Stamp, designed the Porsche 917K back in 2006, and also the new Ferrari 512 M. He wanted to revisit the same type of car (70s Le Mans) specifically to show how far they've come in the theme, same with the Mercedes F1 car and 2021's Ford GT.

vs
vs
vs

- 2021's big focus was wheels, hence the new type that can take standard LEGO elements. 2022's big focus is headlights: every set has brick-built or printed headlights. No stickers.

- The Countach has stickers behind/underneath the brick-built headlights so you can see a suggestion of the indicators and such if you look for it (which answers my own question of why they used a 2 x 2 curved slope instead of 18 degree cheese grater slopes there).

- The Pirelli tires (printed wheel covers) on the F1 car are blue because LEGO's tires have treads, and blue is the appropriate color for Pirelli tires with treads for wet roads.

- That fin on the back of the Mercedes AMG One is the enormous plane/shuttle tail fin piece, buried deep into the model.

- This guy really fuckin' loves Aston Martin.

- There will be another 5-wide polybag, and this video seems to be the first reveal of it. It's the Aston Martin Valkyrie.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's cause a 8 year old can say "I want Thor's Hammer Legos for my birthday" not "I want mjolnir"

Your elementary doesn’t have a great classics program?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m not even a huge car guy but those new speed champions sets are so nice I may very well get all of them. The only one I have is the Ferrari from a couple of years ago but I really like it.

At least as far as lines to get hooked on goes speed champions is super affordable. It’s a good line to just go drop 20 bux and get a nice looking model.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I don't have anything to say about a hammer but I walked by the LEGO store today and that globe is bigger than I thought. Like, pretty big.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

absolute unit revised

now pretty rigidly fits in the 8x6 stud factor

made another yellow team car, now everything fits the bug theme. I kinda want to do a bricklink order and see if I can build them all in purple and neon green

locust

rebuilt

this one

so many times

board game is in a playable state. needs the scoring system worked out and general refinement but it's possible to sit down and play a game of future commute

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

Speaking of Countach's, I didn't see anyone post this. It's really tempting me to get another 911

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZso1LHiyFI

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Voice of Labor posted:

absolute unit revised

This is like a cross between a modern electric wheelchair and something from Dominion Tank Police

I do not mean to imply that this is a bad thing

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Finally got my parts order in to build the Twilight Town clock tower.

It's an extremely sturdy build overall, with a core running through the middle connecting all the walls by SNOT brick & bracket. Much of the top of it was built upside-down so the telescope pieces would look more proper. I didn't want to build the entire town for context, so instead, I built a caricatured and downscaled representation of the buildings and train track, more to capture the general feel than anything. Scale was really flexible here: I was more interested in composition than making sure everything was perfectly accurate.

Also, gummi ship.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Question, what's the best (read: Cheapest) way to get a variety of the main characters in Star Wars lego? My little boy is really into Star Wars and lego, and I'd like him to have a Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, etc. eventually, but looking at most of the sets right now it seems like they're all spread out.

I guess bricklink is another option.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Question, what's the best (read: Cheapest) way to get a variety of the main characters in Star Wars lego? My little boy is really into Star Wars and lego, and I'd like him to have a Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, etc. eventually, but looking at most of the sets right now it seems like they're all spread out.
I was looking to sell off some of my old Star Wars sets at some point, but got as far as taking them apart and putting them away last year and not doing anything with them since.

If you're not in a hurry I can see what I've got stored away.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'd look on bricklink and find a seller that just has the ones you want for cheap. Minifigs in recent sets that were cheap and common should be pretty cheap. Otherwise yeah they tend to be spread across sets unless you buy like the death star or something.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
In addition to bricklink you might check eBay. Lots of people have listings for minifigs of different themes where you just select the ones you want. Unless you're looking for a very specific version there shouldn't be anything expensive about the main Star Wars characters.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Awesome work. I especially love the gummi ship.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Carbohydrates posted:

Also, gummi ship.

Gummi ship is so good.

The rest is also good, but

gummi ship!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

veni veni veni posted:

I'd just leave the flags off. I don't think they are important enough on the original set to warrant the real estate they are going to occupy in a micro build. Personally I like your initial approach the best tbh, but they are just too big.

After trying all kinds of stuff I've also come around to thinking they're just too big, too. I still want the splash of color though. Since I'd kinda settled on vertical banners, I've actually gone back to my original usage of teeth and just placed them a bit better.

I've also revised the roof, dome point, El Cubo roof garden area, second floor balcony, and third floor a bit (better window details and corrected the upper brown stripe color). Now I have two variants of the third floor sand green side roofing I'm trying to decide between, and I'm still trying to figure out a subtle way to hint at the arch above the stairs - haven't found something non-messy enough to bother with though.

Here's the changes with old sand green roof bits:

And with new sand green roof bits:

I've also incorporated Technic pin/hole connectors on the other two faces, as seems to be the standard from the original mini-modulars, but those changes aren't visible or even really important.

This is kinda hard, but fun.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 3, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carbohydrates posted:

It's an extremely sturdy build overall, with a core running through the middle connecting all the walls by SNOT brick & bracket. Much of the top of it was built upside-down so the telescope pieces would look more proper. I didn't want to build the entire town for context, so instead, I built a caricatured and downscaled representation of the buildings and train track, more to capture the general feel than anything. Scale was really flexible here: I was more interested in composition than making sure everything was perfectly accurate.

Also, gummi ship.

I can hear these builds

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Carbohydrates posted:

Also, gummi ship.

Fantastic.

Prophet of Nixon posted:

After trying all kinds of stuff I've also come around to thinking they're just too big, too. I still want the splash of color though. Since I'd kinda settled on vertical banners, I've actually gone back to my original usage of teeth and just placed them a bit better.

I've also revised the roof, dome point, El Cubo roof garden area, second floor balcony, and third floor a bit (better window details and corrected the upper brown stripe color). Now I have two variants of the third floor sand green side roofing I'm trying to decide between, and I'm still trying to figure out a subtle way to hint at the arch above the stairs - haven't found something non-messy enough to bother with though.

Here's the changes with old sand green roof bits:

And with new sand green roof bits:

I've also incorporated Technic pin/hole connectors on the other two faces, as seems to be the standard from the original mini-modulars, but those changes aren't visible or even really important.

This is kinda hard, but fun.

I really think those teeth give the impression of the big build much better, even if it's less technically representative

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I just finished bag 2 of the Boutique Hotel and for the first time ever I'm legitimately missing a piece- the 2x1+2x1 hinged piece that forms the corner of the foundation. If it's not in bag 3 I can't really hope that it will just be in a "later bag" as it's immediately integral to the build. I'll have to dig through my extra pieces (currently in storage) and hope I have a light blue grey or at least a light grey hinge to replace it. Not impressed, tbh.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You'll find it somewhere annoying 3 days later that you swear you looked already. Book it.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Butterfly Valley posted:

You'll find it somewhere annoying 3 days later that you swear you looked already. Book it.

Or not, I got a wrong door in it. Extra brown missing a clear.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Well I managed to do some headlight brick bracket nonsense to recess the upper roofline about 1/3 of a stud, so I went back to the original 1x2 slope design. Also worked in the gate at the top of the stairs, albeit in a very slight manner. Scaled about the same as other "doors" in the build though.

This does leave a small bit of visible white on the back side wall, but since that would be hidden with other buildings I can deal with it. And it would be fixable if there was ever an appropriate sand green 1x1 bracket.

Here's the current back view, I went ahead and "discolored" more of the back wall to kind of work the flaw into it:

Edit: Sand Green headlight bricks are like $10 each! Changing those (6) to white, so there will be a bit more white on that back wall. (pics now reflect this change)

Edit Edit: I found a solution that keeps the back perfect while only using two sand green headlight bricks so that's what I'm doing. Necessitates a little redesign of the removable wall but that gives me something to do tonight.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 4, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What do you do when every flat surface in your house is covered in lego except the living room which your wife has declared a no lego zone? Bigger shelves? Bigger house? Bigger wife? I have no idea where I'm going to put the 1989 batmobile and I got like 5 sets past that to figure out too

Titanic fit nicely on these built ins in the hallway though.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

bird with big dick posted:

What do you do when every flat surface in your house is covered in lego except the living room which your wife has declared a no lego zone? Bigger shelves? Bigger house? Bigger wife? I have no idea where I'm going to put the 1989 batmobile and I got like 5 sets past that to figure out too

Comedy :sever: option

I'm in the same boat, space wise. At this point I have more sets in sealed boxes in my closet than I do built and displayed.

I need a bigger apartment.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hang it on the wall.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bird with big dick posted:

A bigger wife probably won't have a flat space.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

HootTheOwl posted:

:lol: unexpected.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

HootTheOwl is my friend from another thread where he tells the worst poster in that thread to shut the gently caress up, and now Hoot is cracking good jokes in this thread and I just wanted to acknowledge that both of those things are very good.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like curating is something you have to deal with at some point as a collector, otherwise you end up with a mess and overcrowded shelves. Pick the best ones and display them well, sell or pack away the others.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Hi goons, after stumbling into the flower bouquet at Target, my wife and I have gone down the rabbit hole.

It started simple: "hey, let's get the roses and tulips, also I want the AT-ST and the snowtrooper battle pack."

This past week I picked up the modular police station and bookstore. Then my wife ordered Assembly Square, the Razor Quest, and the Globe (along with assorted star wars sets). I found a Boutique hotel down the road that I'm picking up on Tuesday.

We have like 5 taxis now.

Is this how it is?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Taxi rank in front of the hotel?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Doji Sekushi posted:

Is this how it is?
I don't think you can sustain that pace. You are buying them faster than lego puts out new sets. :cheeky:

Seriously, you'll start to find types of sets you like in particular and back off on the others. Sounds like you've already got a backlog of dozens of hours of building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Doji Sekushi posted:

Hi goons, after stumbling into the flower bouquet at Target, my wife and I have gone down the rabbit hole.

It started simple: "hey, let's get the roses and tulips, also I want the AT-ST and the snowtrooper battle pack."

This past week I picked up the modular police station and bookstore. Then my wife ordered Assembly Square, the Razor Quest, and the Globe (along with assorted star wars sets). I found a Boutique hotel down the road that I'm picking up on Tuesday.

We have like 5 taxis now.

Is this how it is?

If either of you is at all interested please do yourselves a favor and pick up a Saturn V. Hands down the best and most satisfying set I've built as an adult.