Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also your melee DPS will appreciate if you hold the boss relatively still so they can have an easier time hitting positionals. Obviously you have to move sometimes but in between, try not to rotate the boss unnecessarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Harrow posted:

Also your melee DPS will appreciate if you hold the boss relatively still so they can have an easier time hitting positionals. Obviously you have to move sometimes but in between, try not to rotate the boss unnecessarily.

Of note, on this front, I tank phionix on P3S from the NW orange square because that puts the flank/rear split right where the group stacks and our monk doesn't have to move as much. Does anyone else do this?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Just saw the minion drop from Dead Ends for the first time, in all the Expert Roulettes I've done there. Won it with a 31, which makes up for having to heal a pretty bad Red Mage through the place.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

This is kind of a spoiler here. Borderline at least.

EDIT: And its edited. Sorry for being a squeaky wheel here.

Ah sorry, it's been so long I forgot

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I main WHM as a healer, and have been trying SGE. Is it supposed to feel this weak in dungeons? Like I can normally keep a tank alive, but not if I DPS, which feels counter to the point of SGE.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anora posted:

I main WHM as a healer, and have been trying SGE. Is it supposed to feel this weak in dungeons? Like I can normally keep a tank alive, but not if I DPS, which feels counter to the point of SGE.

What level are you and what dungeon are you doing? I know in the 71 and 81 dungeons I have trouble on any healer keeping a tank up while also DPSing on some pulls.

Make sure you're using all of your cooldowns as Sage, because that's where the real power is. Haima can help a ton to stabilize a tank who's melting, too. (Also double-check that you've put Kardia on the tank, it's easy to forget if you're new to Sage specifically.) I found that Sage really hits its stride around 80, when Kerachole has its regen effect (so you can stack Physis + Kerachole for a really strong regen + heal boost + damage reduction during a pull) and you get Panhaima.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Anora posted:

Which dungeons in specific? 71-79 dungeons are rough on every healer while leveling except for WHM for a variety of reasons.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think Sage gave White Mage a run for its money for easiest dungeons during leveling. Sub Holminster might be a different story, but even the spicy pulls you get through Shadowbringers didn't really make me flinch, and they were stuff I didn't like so much on Astrologian or Scholar.

What's your normal flow for Sage during a typical dual pull?

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 4, 2022

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Of note, on this front, I tank phionix on P3S from the NW orange square because that puts the flank/rear split right where the group stacks and our monk doesn't have to move as much. Does anyone else do this?

hey this is a good idea, forwarded it to my tank buddy

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
krasis + physis + holos for the first double pull, then taurachole and haima for the second. sprinkle druocholes to taste

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Venuz Patrol posted:

krasis + physis + holos for the first double pull, then taurachole and haima for the second. sprinkle druocholes to taste

I would move Haima to the pull you use Krasis or Physis on, because they make the shields bigger.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I would expect, even without the regen, Kerachole's 10% mitigation is worth more than a Druchole's 600 potency. With the regen it's bonkers, but don't sleep on it before the trait. Druchole is like Lustrate, your last resort for resource spending.

With Kera, Tuara, Kera, you have 45s of mitigation up. Should be able to do this every single pull.

If you have Krasis, you have Panhaima, and you shouldn't sleep on that either. It's still 1000 potency of shields for the tank alone.

You might want to split up Krasis and Physis so you have the healing boost for both sets of shields and/or regens you'll throw out as well.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 4, 2022

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thought about this some more and my group likes to have him pulled north of the center so everyone's already in position for fireplume, so in that case the tank would position north of the nw square, and look more like this:

(positions approximate)

Edit: and with tank closer to stack:

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 4, 2022

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Any secrets to pre-70 leveling I'm missing/forgetting? Past 70 is easy because of beast tribes and FATEs but the pre-70 yield for either of those sucks rear end. Is it really just 'do roulettes once each, run most recent dungeon(s) until you get sick of it'?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Good sages are great, but bad sages can be downright terrible. The first few big pulls of Holmister are spicy, but I rotated through mit while the sage just let me die. Then they accused me of not using mit and gave me sarcastic advice, so I single pulled the entire rest of the dungeon.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Any secrets to pre-70 leveling I'm missing/forgetting? Past 70 is easy because of beast tribes and FATEs but the pre-70 yield for either of those sucks rear end. Is it really just 'do roulettes once each, run most recent dungeon(s) until you get sick of it'?

Yep.

You can also do Palace of the Dead to mix things up, and don't neglect PVP roulette, it gives a big chunk of XP.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Begemot posted:

Yep.

You can also do Palace of the Dead to mix things up, and don't neglect PVP roulette, it gives a big chunk of XP.

I legitimately forgot either of these were a thing :lol: Will I get yelled at too hard for doing PVP with absolutely no experience whatsoever?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I legitimately forgot either of these were a thing :lol: Will I get yelled at too hard for doing PVP with absolutely no experience whatsoever?

Nah. PVP is large scale and chaotic. Stick with your group and try to score some kills. Just make sure to go to the Wolves Den first so you can set your abilities and hot bars.

There are always a few salty people yelling at groups, or the overall game, but that's life. I've never seen anyone singled out unless they're afking or just suicide running into the enemy. Otherwise it's pretty laid back.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

No, nobody cares if you suck, you get the same rewards whether you win or lose. All you have to do is stick with the crowd and pile on attacks to any enemy that gets too close. Make sure you set up your PVP hotbar at Wolves Den Pier before you go in, it's totally separate from your normal one.

Oh, and in PVP roulette, you can queue as one class and then change when you get into a match. You'll get the XP for the class you queued as, it's really nice!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The only legitimate gripe about people in PvP is when some loser afks the whole match at the starting point.

Even if you have no idea what's going on, just try to stick with the pack and throw out some damage / interact with shiny things. If you die to a steamroll, NBD. Respawn!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Madmarker posted:

You want to know if you are a good tank? Queue up for some Heavensward or Stormblood leveling dungeons as a DPS or Healer and watch all the irritating things the tank does.
if you're queueing as DPS, queue as a melee DPS with positionals. It will make you hyper-aware of your positioning as a tank.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

If you're spreading out your playtime over the week instead of doing it in big chunks and want a daily task, doing the StB Hunts will give pretty respectable EXP, especially as you can do them while you're queued for dungeons on your DPS. If you want to do them real easily, you can check out something like FFXIVHunt, which has you input your targets and then maps the best routes. For the Ruby Sea I would make sure you're aware of the ferry that connects the two Confederate bases in the North and South, and that you can use Kugane's Aethernet to get to the Southeast corner. With those travel points in addition to the Aetherytes, getting around the Ruby Sea is much less of a hassle, and they aren't taken into consideration for FFXIVHunt.

As an extra note on Hunts, when you're leveling from 80-90 you will always want to do the Endwalker Hunts. Doing all of them will give as much EXP as a dungeon run.

While you mentioned they suck, the Tribe dailies aren't actually that bad and if you're not using your allotment elsewhere you may as well at least do the Ananta's while you're doing the Fringes' Hunts. I do the Kojin dailies as well when in the Ruby Sea and don't find it that bad when I take advantage of the extra travel options, but skip them if you want since the quests can often not be placed as friendly as the Fringes and Ananta can be.

There's also Heaven on High if you want a break from dungeons. You can run that from 61-71 like you would Palace of the Dead up to 61.

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 4, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I wish there was more to spend EW hunt currency on, I don't have the desire to hunt train at the moment cause of it

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 4, 2022

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Begemot posted:

Oh, and in PVP roulette, you can queue as one class and then change when you get into a match. You'll get the XP for the class you queued as, it's really nice!

Okay thank god, the only thing worse than doing something you're clueless at is while doing it as a job you're clueless at :laugh:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mr. Nice! posted:

I do that for the start of P4S with the justification that the melee can still do positionals if they have to stack for poison, but really it's just so i can see what's going on better and have a clearer route for running in.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gobbeldygook posted:

if you're queueing as DPS, queue as a melee DPS with positionals. It will make you hyper-aware of your positioning as a tank.

Every once in a while when tanking a dancer or something will drift over by me and I have an instinctive "What are you doing! Get back there!" response as I silently hope this boss has a cleave I never had to think about.

It's not that I WANT them to die, it's just... it's just that I want them out of my space. By any means necessary. DPS at the front of a boss unless a mechanic demands it feels wrong.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 4, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Professor Beetus posted:

Good sages are great, but bad sages can be downright terrible. The first few big pulls of Holmister are spicy, but I rotated through mit while the sage just let me die. Then they accused me of not using mit and gave me sarcastic advice, so I single pulled the entire rest of the dungeon.

That Sage was probably a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but those Holminster pulls are probably the worst I have seen next to the Mt. Gulg gigapull before the 3rd boss and Anyder's gigantic basement pull. If even one DPS is bad, it's not going to be a good time for anyone involved.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Begemot posted:

you get the same rewards whether you win or lose [in pvp roulette].

is this true? I thought you got an xp bonus for winning

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 4, 2022

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think the rewards are marginally different because I believe your base rewards for win vs loss are different, but the daily bonus for doing it as your roulette utterly dwarf the base rewards.

I could be wrong about the base rewards, but I'm pretty sure the roulette reward is something like 10x as big as the base reward so just wander around with a blob and shoot things, or play tank and try to golf swing people off cliffs, doing your best Arnold Palmer cosplay is a riot

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ruzihm posted:

is this true? I thought you got an xp bonus for winning

Pretty sure it's only the amount of wolf marks that changes. The tomestones and exp are static.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Augh! A 15% reduction to spell cast and recast time (as well as, incidentally, autoattack delay) constitutes a 17.6% acceleration to your global cooldown!

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

MechaX posted:

That Sage was probably a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but those Holminster pulls are probably the worst I have seen next to the Mt. Gulg gigapull before the 3rd boss and Anyder's gigantic basement pull. If even one DPS is bad, it's not going to be a good time for anyone involved.

to be fair the back half of holminster is enforced singlepulls, anyways

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ferrinus posted:

Augh! A 15% reduction to spell cast and recast time (as well as, incidentally, autoattack delay) constitutes a 17.6% acceleration to your global cooldown!

Everyone, look! A dork! That plays an mmo!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Thundarr posted:

50.1% enrage on door boss with no deaths.
Pass door boss with two deaths.
:shrug:

Do you mind posting a log for that no death door enrage

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Ferrinus posted:

...why?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

RME posted:

I can see if I can get a screenshot after work. Funny story, if he enrages fflogs continues for the time that he's untargetable before blowing you up and it greys the hell out of everybody's parse. Unless everybody immediately hits the wall I suppose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Pretty sure it's only the amount of wolf marks that changes. The tomestones and exp are static.

No, there is a large bonus for winning and smaller ones for 2nd/3rd. Something like a 20% bonus for first.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

RME posted:

listen man I know you wanna find someone who crits less than you but it isn’t happening

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Dryzen posted:

listen man I know you wanna find someone who crits less than you but it isn’t happening

There has to be someone out there surely
Consider: I still have 1 demi enkindle to not crit, at the very least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Thundarr posted:

I can see if I can get a screenshot after work. Funny story, if he enrages fflogs continues for the time that he's untargetable before blowing you up and it greys the hell out of everybody's parse. Unless everybody immediately hits the wall I suppose.

I'm personally less interested in the actual numbers and more interested in looking at the timeline to see what happened and checking xivanalysis to see if someone in your party was making significant mistakes, so if you don't mind posting a direct link instead of just the screenshot that would be very helpful. (Completely understandable if you'd rather not, though.)

I'd bet that you had a combination of damage downs from fuckups that you survived due to good mitigation and a lot of downtime due to unlucky combinations of mechanics that you weren't prepared for. Another possibility is that everyone's raid buffs went out of sync with burst windows, since Pinax happens at 2 and 6 minutes in and it's completely reasonable for someone to forget to hit a button while trying to figure out the mechanic.