Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

We got sorted into Houses based on constellations at my middle school (House Orion, baby!) but I think it was based on geographic location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought a bunch of the Slytherins stayed to help out, a good chunk of them left though.

All of them got kicked out of the castle, some came back later (mentioned in a single line I think)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Order of the Phoenix is when it stops being fun school mysteries with magic and just....ugh.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Order of the Phoenix is still much better than the last two books, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Voldemort's only crime was saying the quiet part out loud.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Voldemort's only crime was saying the quiet part out loud.

Well, also the murders.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

The fifth book is where it really starts getting weird. The wizard government coming in and trying to cover up Voldemort being back and basically nixing all of the magical studying that the school had them doing and basically trampling each other to be the new Capos in charge of things. You'd think a group of people all about blood purity would be against learning like non wizards but no.

People doing implausibly stupid and self-harming things because of racism and ego and being smug about it gets more plausible every year.

HP has a ton of things that are much less good now that I'm an adult and can look back on it (House Elves, Snape, Slyverine, Ron is honestly a total git) but it kind of nailed how lovely british politics is.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

My middle school had color-based “teams”, but I think it was secretly a way of segregating by caste. All of the problem kids were in Red, a ton of wealthy kids were in Blue, and the entire Special Ed class was the totality of Orange. If I’m right, this was only the third-most evil thing they did to cut costs and micromanage their students.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

skipmyseashells posted:

because the best dick dumbledore ever got was from a villain. Next question

Someone else said it best that Dumbledore was Rowling's ideal of the gay man: He once had ambiguous relations with one man and then proceeded to not have sex or let out a hint of his sexuality for the rest of his life.

christmas boots posted:

There were non-evil Slytherins they were just offscreen you've never heard of them

Hey now, there was One Good Slytherin: Slughorn. The guy was a huge coward, completely self-serving and hosted parties to find students he can get his hooks on. Total role model material right there.

RareAcumen posted:

I wasn't even talking about that part, I mean how Voldemort was like pure evil as a baby and then just became an implausibly evil child-killer later on. Like he's off the scale of Jedi and Sith even.

That's because he was a rape-baby, you see? That's why he doesn't know how to love. What's also dumb is that Rowling made it so that Voldemort's dad was the bad guy in that backstory. Dude got the magic roofie out of his system, realized he's been kept prisoner for months by a person with freaky mind powers, and that his rapist is pregnant. The guy was the victim and did the reasonable thing of getting out of dodge.

Rowling's got weird ideas with that subplot.

Nephthys posted:

HP has a ton of things that are much less good now that I'm an adult and can look back on it (House Elves, Snape, Slyverine, Ron is honestly a total git) but it kind of nailed how lovely british politics is.

Don't forget the transphobia she snuck in the books (everything about Rita Skeeter, the gender-detecting staircase to the girls's dorm). It seemed like Rowling was parodying British politics with the ministry, Fudge and Umbridge, and then you realize that no, she ended up becoming exactly like the political figures she was making fun of. :lol:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's a reason why a writer with absolutely garbage opinions managed to replicate the terribleness of British politics and it isn't because she had some incisive social commentary to make.

I can't even remember why we're dunking on Harry Potter, but anyway it sucks poo poo and Deku could beat up Harry even before he got his quirk.

Also it would have been a more entertaining series if they had Bakugo to just explode all their problems away.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 26, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

You don't want to see what they do to Class 1-D when no one's looking.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You know the one thing I'm kinda glad about not being in the school stuff was just legit doing an "evil" hero school because that would've been dumb. They did UA vs everyone rivalry for a bit in the license exam and then they got along.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

amigolupus posted:

That's because he was a rape-baby, you see? That's why he doesn't know how to love. What's also dumb is that Rowling made it so that Voldemort's dad was the bad guy in that backstory. Dude got the magic roofie out of his system, realized he's been kept prisoner for months by a person with freaky mind powers, and that his rapist is pregnant. The guy was the victim and did the reasonable thing of getting out of dodge.

Weird. Though, looking it up, I see that apparently Harry and Dumbledore felt bad for the guy?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Weird. Though, looking it up, I see that apparently Harry and Dumbledore felt bad for the guy?

From checking the guy was kind of a snobby rich rear end in a top hat. But he still did not deserve to be mind controlled, then murdered by the son he never knew.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

From checking the guy was kind of a snobby rich rear end in a top hat. But he still did not deserve to be mind controlled, then murdered by the son he never knew.

Yeah, the story doesn't really make him the bad guy. It's perhaps too nice on the witch, but Harry does think it's awful what happened to the guy (and Dumbledore agrees).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

But he still did not deserve to be mind controlled, then murdered by the son he never knew.

For sure. I was just saying that it looked like he was given sympathy by Harry and Dumbledore from what I saw.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The idea of there being a separate Supervillain School in MHA would actually kick rear end.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The idea of there being a separate Supervillain School in MHA would actually kick rear end.

That would have been so much better than the mole plot we got. Not just a solitary student that's a traitor, but an entire school!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, the story doesn't really make him the bad guy. It's perhaps too nice on the witch, but Harry does think it's awful what happened to the guy (and Dumbledore agrees).

Yeah Dumbledore shows sympathy towards pretty much all the parties in that story. The Witch Mother, for her poverty, abusive upbringing, and mental disorder. He also shows sympathy towards her brother who was one of her abusers, a supremist, and animal torturer, stating that whatever he may be he did not deserve to die in prison for a crime he did not commit, which is why Dumbledore tried to exonerate him and get his sentence lifted.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Like the Hive from Teen Titans? That could be neat.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Having a hero school from the license exam turn out to be from the Liberation Army's secret town and all of the trainee heroes end up joining the villains would've been an effective plotline, but it's not like the story is short on characters and plot threads it doesn't have time to follow up on.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
We pan over to Evil UA and the uniform is what delinquents wear. Iida goes to that school also and abides by the handbook by pushing over any boy who isn't wearing a pompadour and actively yankee squatting while smoking

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm catching up on the last couple months, and Mei is still very good :allears:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The Mangaplus app is doing some kind of promo where all the chapters are available to read, but only once. Testing the waters for a paid tier?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
More like NOrikoshi

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Dolash posted:

Having a hero school from the license exam turn out to be from the Liberation Army's secret town and all of the trainee heroes end up joining the villains would've been an effective plotline, but it's not like the story is short on characters and plot threads it doesn't have time to follow up on.
I'm still not over the kid who used his powers to Cronenberg the other students.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Chapter's out:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/394/my-hero-academia-chapter-342

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I really like that Deku and Ochako acknowledge that the villains are a byproduct of systemic issues but that it doesn't justify their atrocities, small moments like that are more stake raising than Shiggy becoming the most quirked up white boy. And yet at the same time, it's so funny to me that Shoto seems to have some compassion left over for Dabi. Dabi? He's had it hard too sure but that guy just genuinely loves burning people to death. Shoto specifically.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheHan posted:

I really like that Deku and Ochako acknowledge that the villains are a byproduct of systemic issues but that it doesn't justify their atrocities, small moments like that are more stake raising than Shiggy becoming the most quirked up white boy. And yet at the same time, it's so funny to me that Shoto seems to have some compassion left over for Dabi. Dabi? He's had it hard too sure but that guy just genuinely loves burning people to death. Shoto specifically.

I like how last minute it feels. "poo poo, forgot about Dabi uh...udon! There we go."

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

That scene in Todoroki's room did feel weird. "I don't know my brother at all [since he's a psychopath that hates me for existing]." "Idk he probably likes udon or something." "I wish I could share a bowl with him then." Just... what? What is this conversation? Iida is the only one who makes sense and all he's saying is "I'm sure it's very hard to fight a family member, even a crazy one. I too... have family."

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

That scene in Todoroki's room did feel weird. "I don't know my brother at all [since he's a psychopath that hates me for existing]." "Idk he probably likes udon or something." "I wish I could share a bowl with him then." Just... what? What is this conversation? Iida is the only one who makes sense and all he's saying is "I'm sure it's very hard to fight a family member, even a crazy one. I too... have family."

tbh I just read it as Todoroki low key being a fuckin weirdo who would normally say some poo poo like that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

For such a dialog heavy chapter I think I'll wait on the official translation before making any judgements.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

It means he wants to get to know his brother, hth.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Mymla posted:

It means he wants to get to know his brother, hth.

Yeah I got that bit, thanks. I meant more why the hell did Bakugo just randomly decide to say Dabi probably likes udon? Why did Todoroki just accept that as a logical part of the conversation? I need to see this translated properly because the entire thing feels nonsensical.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Yeah I got that bit, thanks. I meant more why the hell did Bakugo just randomly decide to say Dabi probably likes udon? Why did Todoroki just accept that as a logical part of the conversation? I need to see this translated properly because the entire thing feels nonsensical.

He likes udon because everyone likes udon. Who doesn’t like udon?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CuwiKhons posted:

Because Shoto's favorite food is cold udon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TheKingofSprings posted:

He likes udon because everyone likes udon. Who doesn’t like udon?

I don't

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

u don 't?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Alopex posted:

u don 't?

God drat it I laughed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Because Shoto's favorite food is cold udon.

Incorrect, it's cold soba :colbert: