Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

as president i'll make sure all 3 drivers hang...

Lpzie has issued a correction as of 09:49 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mayor Dave posted:

Goddamn it I really hope hating cars is not the next front in the culture war

cars suck, gently caress you, go to hell

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Everyone in the automotive industry should be run over by their preferred brand of oversized truck

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

T-Paine posted:

It's interesting that people are so unable to face reality that they throw around stupid terms like doomer when every climate prediction ever made turns out to be wildly optimistic in hindsight and the problems are always much worse and occur much sooner than even the most "alarmist" models

theres radio blackout irl, so whose really right: the goony doomer or everybody going about their regular lives? People call it normalcy bias but there is no real warning/emergency state irl.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Alobar posted:

https://twitter.com/bigblackjacobin/status/1489297826702106633

the white truck actually caused the accident, they were deliberately blocking the car from passing. i loving passionately hate people who do that poo poo.

What kind of psychos cheer when someone flips their car on a highway at high-speed? gently caress these people. What the hell?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Yeah wow they literally watched someone potentially die (twitter claims he did die) and crowed about it as they drove past.

Call me crazy but I don't think driving badly warrants that kind of outcome

However, the driver absolutely did make his own bed and sleep in it. A sensible driver would simply have held back and stuck to the speed limit.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
You could argue that even using the roads in much of the US, no matter how conservatively you drive, is a deathwish

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The white truck should be charged with attempted murder I am completely serious. You can't play with people like that. You have no idea what could be going on, the reckless speeding car could be under mental duress for myriad reasons - some which you would understand and excuse, others that you may not excuse, others that would make you cry. Just let people pass. And let people merge!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/Scientits/status/1489572237904646148

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
everyone in that video sucks but lol if you don't think the maniac speeding around on the shoulders didn't cause the accident

gross to think he deserves death for it, though, utterly gross

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

but the point of science conferances is to get drunk with your mates and brag about your research budgets

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mediaphage posted:

what if i think we all deserve it for what we've done to paradise

not saying i do for sure, just saying it's in the mix

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The white truck should be charged with attempted murder I am completely serious. You can't play with people like that. You have no idea what could be going on, the reckless speeding car could be under mental duress for myriad reasons - some which you would understand and excuse, others that you may not excuse, others that would make you cry. Just let people pass. And let people merge!

Source your quotes

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Be a good person. It'll be worth your time I promise.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mediaphage posted:

everyone in that video sucks but lol if you don't think the maniac speeding around on the shoulders didn't cause the accident

The truck caused the accident and it's not even a question.

One of the many loving problems with driving and cars is that you're operating a deadly weapon at all times. It was basically sheer dumb luck that the truck driver didn't also kill those other drivers in the right lane or himself. Intentionally loving with speeding maniacs is a great way to make yourself an even bigger danger than the actual speeding maniac.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Be a good person. It'll be worth your time I promise.

I am a good person

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

The truck caused the accident and it's not even a question.

One of the many loving problems with driving and cars is that you're operating a deadly weapon at all times. It was basically sheer dumb luck that the truck driver didn't also kill those other drivers in the right lane or himself. Intentionally loving with speeding maniacs is a great way to make yourself an even bigger danger than the actual speeding maniac.

Notice how if you take away the speeding maniac from the situation, its a bunch of people driving normally.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's that story about whether you blame the ox or the princess or the king except it's a road rage incident

I do think it's at least fair to say everyone involved seemed like a jackass from the short clip we get. gently caress that truck, gently caress that car, gently caress the weirdos filming and hooting and hollering as the truck driver, in all likelihood, gets away with vehicular manslaughter

It's all hosed

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
we need to reduce this to one individual bad actor were almost there

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
If you're in a bad space mentally and you react to someone intentionally loving with you that's very different from loving with someone just because you want to. The truck driver is not reacting to the situation they are creating the situation. They are more culpable. The speeding maniac should not be operating a vehicle if they can't handle these sorts of things, true, but they are less culpable to my mind. They may be perfectly capable of not reacting typically but maybe they got fired or their relative is in the hospital dying. It's not the same.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

we need to reduce this to one individual bad actor were almost there

who can we most blame for the american obsession with cars over public transit

Reagan? Probably way too late. Ford?

Wait okay the founder of GM was 'William Crapo Durant', that's a loving hilarious name for a lovely capitalist, let's blame that guy

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If you're in a bad space mentally and you react to someone intentionally loving with you that's very different from loving with someone just because you want to. The truck driver is not reacting to the situation they are creating the situation. They are more culpable. The speeding maniac should not be operating a vehicle if they can't handle these sorts of things, true, but they are less culpable to my mind. They may be perfectly capable of not reacting typically but maybe they got fired or their relative is in the hospital dying. It's not the same.

not one person in the vid was making any extra effort to maximize safety. Even the car cruising along in the travelling lane. They are carbrained idiots gently caress em all

I blame Ford and the Rockafellers

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Maybe the truck driver’s wife just died of cancer-AIDS and this situation is triggering a PTSD memory from his service in Vietnam and he thinks that he can safe his buddy Jeffrey if he just prevents this car from passing him.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

gently caress the weirdos filming and hooting and hollering as the truck driver, in all likelihood, gets away with vehicular manslaughter

all you can do is watch, hoot, and holler

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Maybe the speeding maniac was on his way to blow up a pipeline

Who's the monster now? :smug:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

all you can do is watch, hoot, and holler

I think I've seen that trolley problem diagram

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

not one person in the vid was making any extra effort to maximize safety. Even the car cruising along in the travelling lane.

yeah but come on, when you have something like that happening behind and on either side of you, I don't know if you're able to react in any way other than "gently caress gently caress gently caress DON'T HIT ME WHAT ARE YOU DOING AAHHHH"

e: what i mean is, they're not indicative of anything but how loving crazy it is to make this practice the basis of all personal transportation

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

not one person in the vid was making any extra effort to maximize safety. Even the car cruising along in the travelling lane. They are carbrained idiots gently caress em all

Ugh yeah.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Maybe the truck driver’s wife just died of cancer-AIDS and this situation is triggering a PTSD memory from his service in Vietnam and he thinks that he can safe his buddy Jeffrey if he just prevents this car from passing him.

Many good points made.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah but come on, when you have something like that happening behind and on either side of you, I don't know if you're able to react in any way other than "gently caress gently caress gently caress DON'T HIT ME WHAT ARE YOU DOING AAHHHH"

take off cruise control and let them all pass. Sometimes you have to react to take control of not dying in a lovely car accident

edit: yeah cars suck. it's like giving everyone an airplane except cars kill more wildlife obviously

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

take off cruise control and let them all pass. Sometimes you have to react

1. the truck is matching their speed intentionally to prevent passing - if they change their speed the truck is just gonna do the same thing
2. the car is zipping across both lanes behind them, if he slows down suddenly there's a good change that maniac rearends him

I edited my post to clarify, but this isn't indicative of anything about that driver - it's indicative that driving as a system is insane

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

I have gone insane-o
I lust for volcano
Be with molten lava
Give me my nirvana
I have no vertigo
I lust for tornado
Be a leaf upon air
Venusian mal-de-mer (Oh)

Venusian sickness dire
I want to be set on fire
Venusian, gather while I
Venu-sianly catch on fire
Au-to-Cre-mate, Self-Im-mo-late

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Maybe the speeding maniac was on his way to blow up a pipeline

Who's the monster now? :smug:

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

unwantedplatypus posted:

Notice how if you take away the speeding maniac from the situation, its a bunch of people driving normally.

If you brake check someone in the passing lane you deserve death

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Lmaooo jesus christ

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lmaooo jesus christ

?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

kaxman posted:

If you brake check someone in the passing lane you deserve death

ive never had anyone brake check me in the passing lane

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

biosphere collapse thread unironically defending pickup truck driver endangering everyone around them

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Minera posted:

cars suck, gently caress you, go to hell

You misunderstand, I loving hate cars but if they get turned into a culture war issue it means there's even less chance of destroying them

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Paradoxish posted:

biosphere collapse thread unironically defending pickup truck driver endangering everyone around them

Do you think they should go to jail for attempted murder? Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Do you think they should go to jail for attempted murder? Lmao

everyone driving a vehicle at all times should go to jail for attempted murder