Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 hours!)

everything in this clip is terrible but i've seen some actually funny japanese comedy wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh man, I really want to see this.

It is... hard to watch. Goldberg managed to concuss himself before the match even started.

e: before making it out of backstage, even

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GolfHole posted:

i like to read about wrestling as if it's dispatches from the war

"Dearest Sunny,

I am dispatched in search of a dreaded thing, this "steak wrap". I have only my poor humours to blame for this calamity, as my body failed to prevent a most demure sneeze..."

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Time_pants posted:

And then there's the Ironman Heavymetalweight championship: a belt that must be defended 24/7 and spans multiple promotions all over the globe. The belt changes hands constantly (from the wiki: "As of February 4, 2022, there have been 1,528 officially recognized reigns between 390 different human individuals, 6 teams and 42 inanimate objects and animals. The record for most reigns is held by Shinobu, who won it 216 times, including by trading the title back-and-forth with 215-time champion Yuko Miyamoto a total of 303 times on the same night.").

It has been won by a ladder, by a team of three elementary school girls, Vince McMahon's Hollywood Walk of Fame star, and belt has even won itself on multiple occasions. The title has changed hands in a dream at least once. It's definitely a high water mark for the sport and worth checking out the history of title changes if you're interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ironman_Heavymetalweight_Champions

hahahahahah oh my god i love this so much

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Time_pants posted:

It is... hard to watch. Goldberg managed to concuss himself before the match even started.

What did he do, open a door with his head?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Time_pants posted:

It has been won by a ladder, by a team of three elementary school girls, Vince McMahon's Hollywood Walk of Fame star, and belt has even won itself on multiple occasions. The title has changed hands in a dream at least once. It's definitely a high water mark for the sport and worth checking out the history of title changes if you're interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ironman_Heavymetalweight_Champions

I love everything about this so much :allears:

Time_pants posted:

How the gently caress? :psyduck:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Goldberg likes to psyche himself up pre-match by slamming his head into a locker. This has worked against him time to time, like when his head kept bleeding during a promo and he started trailing off.

So Goldberg concussed himself via his pre-match ritual and had to put on a 10-minute match with the Undertaker. At one point he went for his finisher, the Jackhammer, where he holds Undertaker upside-down and is supposed to twist and slam him safely on his back. Instead, he fell over and dropped the Undertaker straight down on his head. Now the Undertaker was out of it and when he went for the Tombstone, he didn't do it safely and Goldberg's head bounced off the mat. In the end, Undertaker did a chokeslam that was more of a "choke-push" and upon getting the pin, was openly pissed off about everything that just happened.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Starting to understand why so many wrestlers are antivaxx

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

I can't take Lesner seriously with that dick tattooed on his chest.

Also lol that McMahon brings him back so often considering he told them all to gently caress off for MMA money or Football or whatever.

Another Vince McMahon fun fact is he literally can't take being told no. Brock Lesnar is the master of telling Vince McMahon no and to gently caress off. So Vince thinks he "wins" when he pays an enormous amount of money to get Brock under a part time contract that pays more than any of the full timers get.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gavok posted:

Goldberg likes to psyche himself up pre-match by slamming his head into a locker. This has worked against him time to time, like when his head kept bleeding during a promo and he started trailing off.

So Goldberg concussed himself via his pre-match ritual and had to put on a 10-minute match with the Undertaker. At one point he went for his finisher, the Jackhammer, where he holds Undertaker upside-down and is supposed to twist and slam him safely on his back. Instead, he fell over and dropped the Undertaker straight down on his head. Now the Undertaker was out of it and when he went for the Tombstone, he didn't do it safely and Goldberg's head bounced off the mat. In the end, Undertaker did a chokeslam that was more of a "choke-push" and upon getting the pin, was openly pissed off about everything that just happened.

So I was pretty close.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

quote:

One team, The Young Bucks, have won the title itself and their autobiography also won the title.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I love everything about this so much :allears:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Starting to understand why so many wrestlers are antivaxx

A bunch of them are into crypto and NFTs too

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Peggy Edson posted:

Another Vince McMahon fun fact is he literally can't take being told no. Brock Lesnar is the master of telling Vince McMahon no and to gently caress off. So Vince thinks he "wins" when he pays an enormous amount of money to get Brock under a part time contract that pays more than any of the full timers get.

This is the literal Art of the Deal

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Gavok posted:

Wow, what a shockingly stupid thing to do, although it's not so shocking now that he's done it.

...I also want to see this. My morbid curiosity knows few bounds.

quote:

This reminds me of the Family Guy episode in which Herbert and that old Nazi war veteran who teaches Chris about puppets end up fighting to the death.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Got it in one.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Gavok posted:

Huh, I thought he concussed himself when he rammed his head against the steel pole at the turnbuckle a few minutes into the match so hard he started bleeding? Before that point it seemed to be going okayish...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

2 Cool and Rikishi were, without hyperbole, the single greatest act in the history of any entertainment medium and always will be.

I sadly only really got to see them once or twice. When I started watching, Brian was soon out of action for a neck injury I think. Then Scotty had a knee injury just in time for Brian to come back., and his return was short-lived because I think he had issues with drugs and was pulled from TV. By the time Scotty came back, everything moved on without him so he was only on Heat from time to time.

I stand by The Worm being a significantly better finishing move than The People's Elbow. They're essentially the same move (an elbow drop on a guy laying down), but The Worm has waaaayyyyy better buildup and The Rock's hype was undeserved.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Time_pants posted:

The title has changed hands in a dream at least once.

:xd:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jamesman posted:

The Rock's hype was undeserved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Jamesman posted:

The Rock's hype was undeserved.

I always hated the Rock, and I still do. Boring.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Laopooh posted:

One team, The Young Bucks, have won the title itself and their autobiography also won the title.

"Britt Baker fell asleep while reading the book and it fell on top of her."

Fantastic.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
So out of the 64 worst things in a long line of worst things twitter contest, what was the worstest (with some context, because I stopped following this stuff in the late 80s).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
lol, the Shockmaster

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Papa Shango was and is my favorite wrestler of all time. He made the ultimate warrior ooze a black goo and one time magically set a guy's hand on fire instead of, you know, wrestling him.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I just read this thread and holy poo poo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Xotl posted:

So out of the 64 worst things in a long line of worst things twitter contest, what was the worstest (with some context, because I stopped following this stuff in the late 80s).

The ring boy scandal. I don't know enough of it to be an expert, because I really don't want to know more than the basics, but there was a dude who would take sexual liberties with underage employees in the 80's and Vince turned a blind eye to it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Time_pants posted:

2 Cool and Rikishi were, without hyperbole, the single greatest act in the history of any entertainment medium and always will be.

Wasn't Rikishi the fat guy that would rub his rear end in someone's face as his finishing move?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Wasn't Rikishi the fat guy that would rub his rear end in someone's face as his finishing move?

Yup!

Also the pic they chose here doesn't exactly scream "picture of health"

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2022/02/vince-mcmahon-touts-major-wwe-revenue-milestone/

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 5, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

yeah he was

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yup!

Also the pic they chose here doesn't exactly scream "picture of health"

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2022/02/vince-mcmahon-touts-major-wwe-revenue-milestone/

Wow he's lost a lot of weight

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 5, 2022

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Pretty sure that Saudi fail-round was what prompted Taker to step down. :(

Xotl posted:

D'Lo Brown vs Droz- D'Lo messed up a running powerbomb and crunched Droz' spine, leaving him paralyzed from the neck down (regained some movement in the chest and arms after a long period of therapy).

Owen Hart - had a 99 gimmick as The Blue Blazer (some super eagle or something iono). During a PPV event, Owen was supposed to descend from the rafters to interrupt a match, but his harness failed and he dropped 70ft onto a turnbuckle. Dude died.

Mass Transit - Paul Heyman's ECW days were full of crazy, but this is the time he almost killed a kid. 17 year old lied to be part of a match and was set up against a dude that was infamous for going off the script. Kid gets bladed extra deep, passes out from blood loss, and ends up needing stitches.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Trollologist posted:

Papa Shango was and is my favorite wrestler of all time. He made the ultimate warrior ooze a black goo and one time magically set a guy's hand on fire instead of, you know, wrestling him.

I’m so glad they decided to retire that horribly racist witch doctor gimmick of his. So stereotypical and degrading. So what did he do after that?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Szyznyk posted:

I’m so glad they decided to retire that horribly racist witch doctor gimmick of his. So stereotypical and degrading. So what did he do after that?

I'm sure its :thejoke: but he suddenly became very westernized and decided that he wanted to drown himself with trim. And also make that trim available to others.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

I'm sure its :thejoke: but he suddenly became very westernized and decided that he wanted to drown himself with trim. And also make that trim available to others.

Finding a more racist gimmick was a proud moment for Creative I’m sure. What I had forgotten was them making Tony Atlas a loving Zulu and him being in the ‘91 Royal Rumble.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Szyznyk posted:

Finding a more racist gimmick was a proud moment for Creative I’m sure. What I had forgotten was them making Tony Atlas a loving Zulu and him being in the ‘91 Royal Rumble.

And lets not forget Tugboat, who came to find out that although he was whiter than bread it turns out he was of African descent.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Szyznyk posted:

inasmuch as there’s a bright side to Tony Atlas, iirc Roddy Piper ended up torpedoing the Zulu gimmick more or less as soon as it was revealed. God bless Rowdy Roddy Piper and his complete lack of a filter, even before a hot mic

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SatansOnion posted:

inasmuch as there’s a bright side to Tony Atlas, iirc Roddy Piper ended up torpedoing the Zulu gimmick more or less as soon as it was revealed. God bless Rowdy Roddy Piper and his complete lack of a filter, even before a hot mic

IIRC, he once said that Mr.T wore more chains than his ancestors.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

wesleywillis posted:

And lets not forget Tugboat, who came to find out that although he was whiter than bread it turns out he was of African descent.

That was actually One Man Gang. Tugboat went on to become Typhoon and, much more importantly, the Shockmaster.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I love that Shockmaster video because you hear the crowd go OHHHHH just before he busts out and then he trips and it goes deathly silent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
and he was in a tag team with Big Boss Man called The Twin Towers, though for some reason they were never seen together after 2001.