Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Joe Fisto posted:

Who has Madame Web in their top 30 favorite spider characters?

Isn't there more than one now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So what version of Madame Web is this? She’s always an old blind woman in my recollection.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Is it Madame Webs or Madams Web?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait, this isn't the already-announced Olivia Wilde picture. Huh.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

So what version of Madame Web is this? She’s always an old blind woman in my recollection.

Julia Carpenter recently became the new Madame Web.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean Venom worked out ok and you can easily have Morbius standalone, but I don't see how either Madame Web works without Spider-Man being directly involved. I get that using Holland would be complicated but at least introduce her in Spider-Verse or something, she'd at least make sense there

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Julia Carpenter recently became the new Madame Web.
Well that would be why I’m confused then

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Isn't madame Webb like older than Aunt May in appearance?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Isn't madame Webb like older than Aunt May in appearance?

She was, but that one died and the second Spider-Woman took her place.

This feels like a weird doubling down of the proposed Black Cat/Silver Sable. Like I guess you could use her as a tentpole movie to set up Spider-shenanigans but I don't have much faith Sony could do that well.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sony just has to have stuff in production to not lose the license, right? Do they actually have to release anything?

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

gently caress this. When do I get my Aunt May super spy movie. Or a film version of that comic where Aunt May fucks Uncle Ben and gets pregnant with Peter or whatever the gently caress that was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sony doesn't have that kind of deal. That was what Fox had.

Sony's is an actual term deal of some kind, but Marvel can't just end it when it's up either. It came up a few years ago when they altered it to give Marvel the animation rights back.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Sony just has to have stuff in production to not lose the license, right? Do they actually have to release anything?

Even if that were the case they have Morbius coming out, probably some kind of Venom 3 down the road, a Kraven movie that seems to be moving forward, and 2 sequels to Spider-Verse which was hugely successful. They wouldn't really need to just make stuff up

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but having the movie be the transition from the original Madame Web to Julia Carpenter let's you hit all the traditional superhero origin story beats.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm just kinda surprised that Disney hasn't bought out a termination of the Sony deal. They could throw a couple hundred billion at Sony and be done with it, for sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm fine with the character but somehow a movie being called MADAME WEB* just seems lame or silly. Then again I used to say the same thing about Aqua Man so what do I know.

*Other than a '40s noir film, I mean.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Happitoo posted:

gently caress this. When do I get my Aunt May super spy movie. Or a film version of that comic where Aunt May fucks Uncle Ben and gets pregnant with Peter or whatever the gently caress that was.
You get an adaptation of the ‘Trouble’ comic and you’ll like it

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FlamingLiberal posted:

You get an adaptation of the ‘Trouble’ comic and you’ll like it

Do what Marvel tried to do and market it as a romantic drama aimed at women and then whoopsie at the end - Aunt May is actually Peter's mom.

People (on the internet) try and justify stupid movie properties by saying "Oh, that was a shwee-swong on screen for 7 seconds, this is a secret Star Wars movie". Just do it for real. Trouble is a double secret Spider-Man movie and Peter Parker origin story rolled into one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just watched Eternals and drat what a bore. It literally put me to sleep last night and I had to watch the back half today. Like, admittedly I did start watching kind of late but I feel like the movie was so quiet at times and the soundtrack was so lackluster that it made it pretty easy to fall asleep.

Agreed with people who have said that it really needed a human viewpoint character. Like, I don't need constant quipping but when all the characters in the movie are kinda ho hum and not that impressed (aside from when everybody's like "wow Sersi you did a new thing") with their abilities it makes them feel less amazing. And I feel like it is important that they feel amazing because the Eternals are both new to the MCU and also so far down the list of big Marvel characters (I think calling them even C-list might be generous) that even a lot of comic fans won't know them very well. I mean even when the deviant kills Gilgamesh and sucks out his Eternal juice to become human-esque, nobody really reacts that hard to it and I really feel like at least one of them should be going "Holy loving poo poo did you see that?"

I didn't look up common opinion, but imo I would say Eternals is the worst movie in the MCU thus far. It's not outright bad, but it's dull, which is arguably worse. Like, I think so far the most commonly agreed on bad MCU movies are Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 and say what you will about those but I feel like the plot's always in motion, and like when the heroes do cool poo poo it's really cool poo poo to them and the world around them, and like the threats always have personal stakes to the leads in addition to big "save the world" stakes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I agree that it’s frequently dull and that if any film needed the audience insert character, it’s that one

And no, Kingo’s valet doesn’t count

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gemma Chan sure is pretty though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I agree that it’s frequently dull and that if any film needed the audience insert character, it’s that one

And no, Kingo’s valet doesn’t count

Why not?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked the movie but Kingo's valet is a straight-up comic relief character who doesn't really provide an ideological counterbalance to the other characters and doesn't really ask any questions either, so it's hard to say he's much of an audience insert.

Though I really liked the moment where he thanks the group for trying to save Earth before he leaves with Kingo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There should have been a boy who looked up to Kingo because he watched all his Shadow Warrior superhero movies who convinced Kingo to do the right thing and become the superhero he was pretending to be

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 4, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's not a terrible idea

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
One thing I noticed checking the credits of Eternals is that they got David Kaye to voice Arishem which is surprising because Hollywood usually does stunt casting even for voiceover roles in big movies like this instead of using actual voice actors, and I think it's neat that he got to be in a big movie like this.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Because he doesn't show up until more than 30-40 minutes into the story and then fucks off before the big showdown?

I think the movie could have been improved by two simple things:

1) Have Kit Harrngton go along on the entire ride as our human POV character. He doesn't really show off who he is, but have him be capable of not being killed immediately. He's going along because he loves Circi so much (sure). And if the world's going to end, at least he'll get a front row seat. Have him be a thorn in Ikaris' side, because Ikaris is jealous, but he's able to move past it and not kill Circi because of love/it's the right thing to do (sure). Or gently caress it, all the Eternals are able to keep Ikaris corralled because

2) Kingo does a face turn on Celestial Baby Island and comes back at the final confrontation, because abandoning the team when they need the extra firepower the most, is lovely. Even if Ikaris is the strongest eternal now, even he can't stand up to 6 of them putting the hurt on him. Movie is resolved mostly the same way, maybe we get a "What do we do with Ikaris now?" and you can have the option to depower him along with Sprite. He goes off and can live his life, or maybe he sees the beauty in keeping Earth alive, or maybe he tries to take a pot shot at Kit and gets thrown in a pile of garbage.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hello, it's me, the Eternals liker, here to say that the movie didn't need a human insert character because the entire point of the film is demi-gods learning about their own humanity and rejection of being soulless obedient automatons.

The true human insert characters are the human insert characters we became along the way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm still not sure how I feel about Kingo not coming back at the end, but I don't think you can just change that without weakening the movie. The entire point of it is that Sersi's perspective isn't the only one. He's not willing to fight his family, particularly for a cause he doesn't think is right. He thinks saving Earth is good but not if it means new life won't be born. It's basically him claiming a religious exemption, which... is interesting, honestly! It's not something I was expecting at all!

Ikaris is too plainly the "villain" of the piece and Sprite is too self-interested for them to really fit neatly into Kingo's place there, and the finale's where most of the other Eternals get to really show off for the first time, so it has to be Kingo.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Also Ikaris isn't meant to be evil, and adding a jealousy element with Kit Harrington being there would give a bad romcom vibe in my opinion.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I thought the Kingo thing was fine, with such a large cast it allowed for an ostensable hero to actually be lovely and selfish.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
My problem with Eternals was that the ending made very little sense. There was some complexity about killing a Celestial, and I liked that they recognized there was a greater good but were unhappy with it, I liked that Kingo just noped out. I thought it would be cool to put the Celestial to sleep and say humanity now has 500 years to leave the planet.

Then they just ended up killing it and it didn't feel like a big thing. Plus Sersi just running towards the volcanos for no reason, the Deviant just wandering into the final fight. I think the Unimind just suddenly started happening and Phastos's preparation turned out to be irrelevant. It seems like chopped 3 very different ideas together and just dumped it on a plate.

Still better than Thor 1 and 2 tho.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

One thing I noticed checking the credits of Eternals is that they got David Kaye to voice Arishem which is surprising because Hollywood usually does stunt casting even for voiceover roles in big movies like this instead of using actual voice actors, and I think it's neat that he got to be in a big movie like this.

That's neat. Frank Welker back in the day would play the giant monster voice (I remember Golden Child, Mortal Kombat and maybe Spawn) so it's nice to have some Megatron symmetry.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think the Unimind just suddenly started happening and Phastos's preparation turned out to be irrelevant.

So I thought the same thing when I first watched it, but on a rewatch i realized I missed them explaining that. That happens when a celestial is born and is how the Eternals survive every time a planet is destroyed. They should have probably put more emphasis on them being confused on how they survived until now to really drive that point home.

On my rewatch I came away liking the movie more than I did the first time, but there are still flaws that everyone has covered already. But it is nice to see a Marvel movie that took a big swing to try and be somewhat different from all the others, even if it didn't knock it out of the park.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i regret to inform you that captain marvel is cancelled

https://twitter.com/brielarson/status/1489655405084954625?t=_DVZxgnfkfvcSXOec3vm5g&s=19

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
NFTs are the new scientology in hollywood

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lmao gently caress her. gently caress all the celebs and the crypto bullshit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AngryBooch posted:

NFTs are the new scientology in hollywood

It's weird watching them talk about it, like the thing with Jimmy Kimmel and Paris Hilton where they were desperately trying to pretend to be engaged with it and saying things like 'this ape is wearing sunglasses which is a fashion item I also sometimes wear.'

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I did think it was somewhat surprising that Kingo, a guy who seems very invested and involved with humanity and in fact has a human friend right there with him, was the one who opted out of saving humanity instead of, like, Thena or Gilgamesh or whoever else had been living out in the desert for years. Like, what did he say to his valet the exact second he walked out on the others? "Super sorry to you and all that you love, but you have to die according to my religion"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dawgstar posted:

It's weird watching them talk about it, like the thing with Jimmy Kimmel and Paris Hilton where they were desperately trying to pretend to be engaged with it and saying things like 'this ape is wearing sunglasses which is a fashion item I also sometimes wear.'

Some people were able to track down a bunch of the transactions of the nfts that celebs are "buying" and it all seems to come from an ad agency and one wallet.