Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

large hands posted:

Those look great! Where did you order them from? I think something similar would look great on my magnetite grey WRX.

Thanks! For the front and rear emblems I went with the GCS ones from SubiSpeed. The sides, lettering and STI logo are all OEM so I got them wherever was cheapest between Amazon and SubiSpeed.

You can tell the difference between OEM and not. The badges and frames aren’t as high quality but they’re totally fine for the 40 something bucks they cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

What's on the console divider is more offensive.

Really? I do a significant amount of driving, and the silver around the stick reflects light back up into my eyes, I'd go black in an instant if I could remember to google a replacement when I get home.

edit: oh wait, you meant the CVT.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I have a lawnmower with a CVT it's great! :D

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I think the matte plastic surround of the two screen setup looks a lot better than the fingerprint magnet glossy piano black of the more expensive one.

I loved dealing with this in a loaner Impreza I had for a while:

If the bottom screen does nothing but basic HVAC stuff I’d rather have manual controls, as long as the top does Carplay/Android Auto I don’t really care what else it has since I’d never really use anything besides the occasional FM/AM radio.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yaaaaay

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rolo posted:

Yaaaaay

:lol:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Don't think I've posted this in here yet:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Symetrique posted:

gorgeous 370Z

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

gorgeous 370Z

Thanks! The nissan dealership managed to get me a 96 month loan

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Symetrique posted:

Thanks! The nissan dealership managed to get me a 96 month loan

no instant cash back?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I was on the highway and a semi kicked up something and now I've got a crack on my windshield. With a non-eyesight car the replacement should be straightforward right?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, any windshield shop should be able to replace it.

It's been a while since I've paid for a windshield but you're probably looking at $400~ or so. Talk to your insurance first anyhow, some states have rules about insurance and windshields.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

net work error posted:

I was on the highway and a semi kicked up something and now I've got a crack on my windshield. With a non-eyesight car the replacement should be straightforward right?

get it done at a good place and not at Safelite/etc

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

get it done at a good place and not at Safelite/etc

It looks like my insurance goes through Safelite haha.

e: Looks like I can actually specify other glass shops so I will give that a try.

net work error fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 3, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

net work error posted:

It looks like my insurance goes through Safelite haha.

e: Looks like I can actually specify other glass shops so I will give that a try.

in MA you can just take it to a shop of your choice and they’ll send the bill to your insurance

A lot of body/collision shops will also do glass, natch

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Symetrique posted:

:love:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There was a challenge on facebook to photoshop this WRX to see what people would do with the design. Naturally a winner is chosen by popular vote so I had to do a lot of dumb poo poo to it, but thereifixedit.jpg

Bonus mid photoshop weirdness

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Someone on Reddit tried doing tried something similar by photoshopping it into a modern 22b:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

Someone on Reddit tried doing tried something similar by photoshopping it into a modern 22b:

these are both slammed way too low

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't even disagree. My main gripes include the plastic fender cladding, the belt line, and the headlights are too small. Everything else done to it are for the votes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s just a warm up for people trying to do something, anything with that back end.

:stonkhat:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

lol that fuckin rear bumper. its like ALL the designers of the Asstek got together to just do the rear of the car. MORE ANGLES! MORE LEDGES!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

It’s just a warm up for people trying to do something, anything with that back end.

:stonkhat:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

um excuse me posted:

There was a challenge on facebook to photoshop this WRX to see what people would do with the design. Naturally a winner is chosen by popular vote so I had to do a lot of dumb poo poo to it, but thereifixedit.jpg

Bonus mid photoshop weirdness

Looks kinda like a prelude with a hood scoop

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Majere posted:

lol that fuckin rear bumper. its like ALL the designers of the Asstek got together to just do the rear of the car. MORE ANGLES! MORE LEDGES!

I had to look twice to make sure someone hadn't put one of those rubber "bumper saver" mats that people like to have here in the city

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

luminalflux posted:

I had to look twice to make sure someone hadn't put one of those rubber "bumper saver" mats that people like to have here in the city

it looks like a medical condition

like the car’s wheelwell/underbody liner or “rugged” cladding prolapsed and got infected and the vet says it needs to be put down

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It wouldn’t look so bad if they just went all the way and admitted they’re making a turbo, lowered crosstrek and didn’t try to make it have a trunk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

It wouldn’t look so bad if they just went all the way and admitted they’re making a turbo, lowered crosstrek and didn’t try to make it have a trunk.

then it would need a hatch, and god forbid Subaru make the WRX/Levorg that people actually want

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I think that if the new WRX sat higher and had a hatch and were called the Crosstrek XT it would be pretty sweet.

Subaru seems pretty determined to misunderstand its customers. Putting aside the lack of a hatchback, only selling the upgraded seats/suspension with a CVT just doesn’t make any sense when the manual take rate on the old WRX was something like 85%. Maybe since hatch sales were 50% of total sales on the 2008-2014 WRX and total sales still increased with the 2015-2021 model, they decided that we will just buy what they sell, so they try to ram the CVT down our throats.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It seems pretty obvious to me that making a crosstrek more like a WRX or a WRX more like a crosstrek is just cannibalizing their market share. Getting rid of the hatch WRX opened up the market for more crossovers and SUVs which is their bread and butter anyways. It was a good marketing strategy, another pro strategy is not listening to what people say they'll buy, and following what people actually buy. They are two completely different things.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

um excuse me posted:

It seems pretty obvious to me that making a crosstrek more like a WRX or a WRX more like a crosstrek is just cannibalizing their market share.

Is it? When the Forester GT / XT existed, Subaru still sold every WRX they built in a blink and likewise for the turbo Foresters. The GT especially was a WRX with a toaster bodyshape, there is literally zero differences under the boxy skin other than the raised suspension and the four pot front calipers only on the WRX and a TD03 turbo rather than a TD04.

quote:

Getting rid of the hatch WRX opened up the market for more crossovers and SUVs which is their bread and butter anyways. It was a good marketing strategy, another pro strategy is not listening to what people say they'll buy, and following what people actually buy. They are two completely different things.

That might be true IF the WRX hatch didnt sell. It only was an issue in 2008 with the Ugly Betty being such a noticable step backwards in performace. About the only time Subaru have had performace cars sit on the showroom is when they did something stupid like a CVT on the XT Forester.... or CVT WRX's.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

when they did something stupid like a CVT on the XT Forester.... or CVT WRX's.

Noticing a trend here.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Why do they do it, then, if the CVTs sell like poo poo?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Subaru hates anything they can't market eyesight with.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They could do EyeSight with a manual, though, right? The throttle and brakes are still DBW. It seems to me it would be trivial to just include a gear ratio map the system could reference to issue warnings (shift up/down!) or disable itself. But I don't necessarily know anything. And Subaru is probably very lazy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Toe Rag posted:

They could do EyeSight with a manual, though, right?

Could, but don't want to.

My Golf R has the full suite of driving automation on a manual and it works fine. It was actually one of the things that pushed me away from getting a new WRX when I replaced my 2011. I might have been willing to overlook it if a hatch was available, but the compromises kept adding up.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 6, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toe Rag posted:

They could do EyeSight with a manual, though, right? The throttle and brakes are still DBW. It seems to me it would be trivial to just include a gear ratio map the system could reference to issue warnings (shift up/down!) or disable itself. But I don't necessarily know anything. And Subaru is probably very lazy.

Honda’s stuff all works with manuals, right? I’m guessing they don’t want to spend time writing the software for it.

edit: yes, it seems the MT only civic SI comes with all of Honda’s ACC, lane keeping and pre collision braking which mirrors eyesight.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 6, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Developing and maintaining 2 different styles of transmission to support a market that's drying up seems silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja86PRHS2sg

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm either going to perpetually replace the engine in my '13 outback until I die, or buy it back after any wreck to gut the manual and everything needed to make it work in another outback. gently caress that CVT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
On the off chance that anyone has ever swapped in a pair of Bosch BC1114s on their rear brakes, did yours come with only one squealer pad, or two? Trying to get a straight answer, but it's the weekend. (2013 impreza hatchback)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 7, 2022