Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'd forgotten that Voyager's Dauntless was the NX-01A. Just like Berman and Braga did when they created Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Might be a hot take but man the Dauntless looks dumb

Part of it was the angle in the scene, it looked like the nacelles were pointing at a weird angle instead of parallel to the rest of the ship, but the Memory Beta renders from STO don't improve my opinion much at all.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

"I'm coming, Chakotay!" WTF does that mean! Is Chakotay stuffed in a locker on the ProtoStar?!

Well this was a pretty good ending to the season.. yah having Zero reveal itself to stop the Diviner was pretty much in keeping it as a Nickelodeon show..

Somehow I don't think we've seen the last of the Diviner.. if Gywn could recover in a few days from just looking at the reflection, it's not much of a jump to think that an adult of her race might be able to also recover eventually..

Can't wait for the episode where holoJaneway meets GreyStreakJaneway..

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

"I'm coming, Chakotay!" WTF does that mean! Is Chakotay stuffed in a locker on the ProtoStar?!

Well this was a pretty good ending to the season.. yah having Zero reveal itself to stop the Diviner was pretty much in keeping it as a Nickelodeon show..

Somehow I don't think we've seen the last of the Diviner.. if Gywn could recover in a few days from just looking at the reflection, it's not much of a jump to think that an adult of her race might be able to also recover eventually..

Yeah the Diviner drawing weird crazy man circles down in the mines of Tars Lamora strongly suggests we're not done with him yet. Hell, he's probably the only person left who might know what actually happened to Chakotay at this point... or at least he probably did :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The last time Admiral Janeway saw the Protostar it was under Chakotay's command, and the ship hasn't been heard from since, so it's a natural assumption on her part.

Also while they are implying Diviner will return, I think the implication was less "if Gwyn can recover from a momentary reflection, Diviner will take a while but will be ok eventually" and more "if a momentary reflection can turn Gwyn comatose for several days, a full blast probably turned Diviner's brain to Murf consistency"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also if the Diviner's logic bomb goes off if/when the Protostar returns to the Alpha Quadrant, it might explain a few things about the state of the Federation seen in Picard aside from the Mars robot uprising. Even if the kids can stop it in time, it'll probably do quite a bit of damage to Starfleet, which might explain why we see such a strangely hollowed out Starfleet that's been replaced by mass produced ships like the Inquiry and Curiosity classes. AND why Starfleet Intelligence has installed hidden kill switches onboard every Federation starship now. One ship starts acting screwy for no reason? *BOOP* gone. Threat eliminated.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Well that finale felt super rushed and weird.

Zero makes people insane when they see them? Okay. I mean it's no big deal or anything. And the diviner moved back in time from his destroyed world....somehow? And I dunno, I think I wanted more setup?

Basically like the rest of Prodigy, really simple and being very careful not to ever explain anything at all

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Taear posted:

Well that finale felt super rushed and weird.

Zero makes people insane when they see them? Okay. I mean it's no big deal or anything. And the diviner moved back in time from his destroyed world....somehow? And I dunno, I think I wanted more setup?

Basically like the rest of Prodigy, really simple and being very careful not to ever explain anything at all

Medusans driving people nuts on sight goes back to their introduction in TOS.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taear posted:

Seems like you have a lot in common

edit: I think I mistook you for whoever is only ever making negative posts itt and misapplied this sick burn :blush:

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 4, 2022

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

spoiler for flashing lights

https://i.imgur.com/1TW1oc2.mp4

Crusader fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 4, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Medusans driving people nuts on sight goes back to their introduction in TOS.

Oh right, I don't remember Zero saying that's what they were but I guess it was basically a lifetime ago now - like what, 3 months?
That's fine though!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah Zero being a medusan and driving people insane when they look and having been used by the Diviner to execute people was all covered in the first episode.

It might've been better if they reinforced how traumatised zero was by that some more in between though

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 4, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What I think would've been be cool poo poo for showing a medusan onscreen would've been just little hints and glimpses and fraction-of-a-second of just something full-on fractal

https://i.imgur.com/R1mzYEj.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/3aLzR5d.gif

https://i.imgur.com/OPn4oLP.mp4

But we got a pretty good look at zero here and they were just a gas blob with some patterns inside which was a bit eh, but also I don't know if showing them as clearly as they did was a good idea? The horror of a medusan is enhanced by only showing the reactions and reflections and very very slightly glimpses, I think. If we'd just seen crazy patterns reflected in the Diviner's eyes and the commbadge that might've been better.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 4, 2022

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also if the Diviner's logic bomb goes off if/when the Protostar returns to the Alpha Quadrant, it might explain a few things about the state of the Federation seen in Picard aside from the Mars robot uprising. Even if the kids can stop it in time, it'll probably do quite a bit of damage to Starfleet, which might explain why we see such a strangely hollowed out Starfleet that's been replaced by mass produced ships like the Inquiry and Curiosity classes. AND why Starfleet Intelligence has installed hidden kill switches onboard every Federation starship now. One ship starts acting screwy for no reason? *BOOP* gone. Threat eliminated.

I had assumed that (and this is more Picard talk than Prodigy talk, but) there's not actually some new hidden kill switch on Federation starships, it was just the same prefix code remote takeover trick Starfleet's always had. Whether or not it could actually be used to scuttle a starship from sectors away is another question, and also possibly a bluff I guess

If there needs to be an in-universe explanation for the copypasta fleet: Dominion War losses worse than expected + Utopia Planitia's shipyards taken over for years to produce Picard's fleet of transport ships + whoops, entire Martian infrastructure lost overnight to a synth attack, R&D department gone, massive brain drain unless all the Leah Brahmses were offworld at the time, so that means Starfleet's secondary shipyards at Earth and Andoria and wherever can only do so much to pick up the slack. Until they can fully restore that missing capacity it's probably easier for them to mass produce a handful of similar designs than continue to field a couple dozen wildly varying designs like they always did before.

Anyway, Prodigy. It's good, folks. And a bit of a trip watching this at the same time I'm doing my first Clone Wars run.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

I'm 100% sure that if the Diviner had shown up and gone 'hey I'm from the future of the planet, here's some future stellar signals from next month to prove it, please don't contact us' Starfleet would totally have respected that as a request under the Prime Directive.

But it wasn't just about saving his people, it was about hurting Starfleet. Hurting them for just existing.

The Diviner says the Vau N'Akat were perfect and at peace believing they were the only species in existence and were torn apart when first contact happened. That says to me that there was some supreme arrogance, maybe even some racist supremacist, bullshit going on with their people.

So, when Starfleet arrived and they saw, beyond any possible doubt, that they weren't the pinnacle of existence, that there were dozens - if not hundreds - of species all across the galaxy who had left them for dust in terms of technological, social and artistic development, they lost their collective minds.

Now, a rational person would realise the problem is with their own society. A loving madman would blame the universe, because how could this fall of their civilisation possibly be the Vau N'Akat's fault? They were perfect, after all.

Hell, if we add a little unreliable narrator to things, it's perfectly possible that the Vau N'Akat are still fine in the future. They had a rough transition, maybe, but are still chugging along. Maybe they're even part of future Starfleet.

But the racist supremacist faction lost - the Diviner's faction. And he's so far up his own arse that a future where the Vau N'Akat not believing they're the best and only race around is indistinguishable from total destruction.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Man having good new Trek is awesome.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Diviner absolutely is a racist rear end in a top hat because when Dal shows up he uses inferior to refer to him.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

HD DAD posted:

Unfortunately we're back to Discovery next week

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

That old Da Share Z0ne post about quitting except it's about not watching Discovery

If it sucks... hit da bricks!!!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is this two-parter the first time we've seen Murf perform a task given to them? It would be interesting if Murf becomes more and more intelligent due to Rok's nurturing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But it wasn't just about saving his people, it was about hurting Starfleet. Hurting them for just existing.

The Diviner says the Vau N'Akat were perfect and at peace believing they were the only species in existence and were torn apart when first contact happened. That says to me that there was some supreme arrogance, maybe even some racist supremacist, bullshit going on with their people.

So, when Starfleet arrived and they saw, beyond any possible doubt, that they weren't the pinnacle of existence, that there were dozens - if not hundreds - of species all across the galaxy who had left them for dust in terms of technological, social and artistic development, they lost their collective minds.

Now, a rational person would realise the problem is with their own society. A loving madman would blame the universe, because how could this fall of their civilisation possibly be the Vau N'Akat's fault? They were perfect, after all.

Hell, if we add a little unreliable narrator to things, it's perfectly possible that the Vau N'Akat are still fine in the future. They had a rough transition, maybe, but are still chugging along. Maybe they're even part of future Starfleet.

But the racist supremacist faction lost - the Diviner's faction. And he's so far up his own arse that a future where the Vau N'Akat not believing they're the best and only race around is indistinguishable from total destruction.

I think it's important to note the Diviner is a time traveler and the Vau N'Akat still exist in the period of the show we're in. They're still somewhere out there. And they fought among themselves because some people liked what they saw when Starfleet visited and some people wanted to keep doing things at their own pace.

Since you don't actually see the team make first contact, who the hell knows whether it went smoothly or not. Also who knows where his homeworld is but keep in mind that his slave colony was mining a new Bullshit Element that produces a cloaking effect, allowing him to cloak an entire planet. (Edit: And in the holodeck simulation he said the calamity occurred within the next fifty years, so looking at the guy I imagine the Diviner has a biological duplicate who is still alive.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 4, 2022

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

allowing him to cloak an entire planet.

A small asteroid not big enough to have it's own meaningful gravity, but that's still a lot

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

It does beg the question then, why did Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council, leader of the Klingon Empire, and staunch ally of the United Federation of Planets steal the USS Enterprise, the flagship of Starfleet, right out of spacedock and then go joyriding in it for no reason?

Isn't the guy's chief advisor at that point a Dominion infiltrator. . And he did, after all, go to a war against Federation over what happened with Cardassians.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Another mark on the ‘just how long was Rok alone?’ question stick.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Der Kyhe posted:

Isn't the guy's chief advisor at that point a Dominion infiltrator. . And he did, after all, go to a war against Federation over what happened with Cardassians.

Yup!

I love how the Diviner though "I'm going to murder everyone in the federation so my homeworld won't be destroyed in 50 years due to our own actions because i blame starfleet for what we did to ourself" was going to turn Gywn.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Actually that begs a question from me, how the gently caress did Gwyn not turn out super racist just like her father. She's been surrounded by him and the murderbots her whole life. Did he just assume she would accept that she is the good cop to his monster cop when bringing new workers to the asteroid and not once think that by allowing her to be sympathetic with "inferior" races that she would suddenly be like "yo dad, you're hosed up and need to be removed from your place of authority"?

I understand hubris and pride and all but you'd think the head murderbot would've said something about needing to "check in" on her to, I dunno, re-indoctrinate her or something after every dozen of new workers

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's shown multiple times that Drednok does not trust Gwyn at all, and he remarks on that several times to the Diviner. He was against the Diviner even creating Gwyn in the first place, presumably for the reasons you mentioned.

Also while you might expect "daughter of a slave trader" to maybe rebel, "daughter of a prison warden" maybe less so, which is what the Diviner had always told her was the situation.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This interview with one of the Prodigy showrunners, Aaron Waltke, is probably one of the most detailed I've seen for any TV show writer. He either knows a ton about Star Trek, or he has an excellent command of Memory Alpha.

I'm not as down on Picard or Discovery as a lot of people in the thread, but it's pretty clear he put more thought into this show than them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nichael posted:

This interview with one of the Prodigy showrunners, Aaron Waltke, is probably one of the most detailed I've seen for any TV show writer. He either knows a ton about Star Trek, or he has an excellent command of Memory Alpha.

I'm not as down on Picard or Discovery as a lot of people in the thread, but it's pretty clear he put more thought into this show than them.

This is why I’m hopeful for Picard this year. The new showrunner for it has the same kind of energy and love for/knowledge about Trek that the Lower Decks and Prodigy showrunners do and a couple of pretty good sci-fi shows under his belt already. Something season 1 sorely lacked.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why I’m hopeful for Picard this year. The new showrunner for it has the same kind of energy and love for/knowledge about Trek that the Lower Decks and Prodigy showrunners do and a couple of pretty good sci-fi shows under his belt already. Something season 1 sorely lacked.

It doesn't change the problem that PatStew is still executive producer with veto on all things. But almost anything would be an improvement, considering that now they cannot even blame COVID-19 for messing with the post-production.

EDIT: And I do not explicitly hate the guy, he just has that same energy that William Shatner Star Trek books have, he just gets to do it on "canon" stuff.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Der Kyhe posted:

It doesn't change the problem that PatStew is still executive producer with veto on all things. But almost anything would be an improvement, considering that now they cannot even blame COVID-19 for messing with the post-production.

EDIT: And I do not explicitly hate the guy, he just has that same energy that William Shatner Star Trek books have, he just gets to do it on "canon" stuff.

I think it also is worse because Shatner's Kirk is absolutely Shatner (just less terrible). So Shatner's self aggrandizement doesn't entirely feel like he's a radically new character. Meanwhile what Stewart wants for Picard is basically the opposite of everything people like about Picard. So no we're left with a canon nega-Picard who loves shooting aliens and dune buggies and hates diplomacy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's shown multiple times that Drednok does not trust Gwyn at all, and he remarks on that several times to the Diviner. He was against the Diviner even creating Gwyn in the first place, presumably for the reasons you mentioned.

Also while you might expect "daughter of a slave trader" to maybe rebel, "daughter of a prison warden" maybe less so, which is what the Diviner had always told her was the situation.

A combination of that, and also she was trained heavily as a linguist in a manner that meant she spent lots of time studying distant cultures in-depth to understand their context. And she spent a lot of time socialising with prisoners like Dal, too, seemingly more than she spent with her father.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Random question but I see Eugene Roddenberry's name in the credits of all new star trek.

But does he actually do anything or is he just on there because he got the copyright from his dad?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Random question but I see Eugene Roddenberry's name in the credits of all new star trek.

But does he actually do anything or is he just on there because he got the copyright from his dad?

Eugene’s entire purpose in life right now is earning money based off his last name and talking to puff piece documentaries about ~*”my dad’s vision*~, as if Gene gave a poo poo about anything other than infidelity and loving other people over financially.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My understanding is that Eugene is the estate rights holder, and by the things he said in the 50 year mission books, is actually pretty good one on that on the positive sense. He mentions a couple of times that GENES VISION is perhaps a bit misguided.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The Orville is gearing up to continue its streak of out-Trekking Star Trek, even with dumb space battles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAWJq0fetYw

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They should just bite the bullet and say that the "Ensign Riversverse" is now an alternative timeline. Blame it on Q getting drunk and deciding that this universe with Picard was too boring.

EDIT: Hell, make an off-the-cuff remark by Q in PIC2 saying "Well I did one experiment to be more exiting but I haven't seen where it goes so whatever, lets do this now."

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 4, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Press viewed a new clip from SNW and it turns out Uhura has a tragic backstory where her parents and brother were killed and she ran away to starfleet to help cope.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Eugene’s entire purpose in life right now is earning money based off his last name and talking to puff piece documentaries about ~*”my dad’s vision*~, as if Gene gave a poo poo about anything other than infidelity and loving other people over financially.

He also cared about drugs, lots of drugs.