Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

hmm yes, the perfect return vehicle for that guy who choked a woman at a bar

this will get people to forget about that before the flash movie comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheSwizzler posted:

:agreed:

Would Eternals have worked with a lighter tone or is the melodrama just baked too much into the source material?

Eternals should have looked like Guardians 2 and everyone should have been as hammy and Shakespearean as possible.

I mean Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons levels of scenery chewing.

Instead it was grey and melancholy and boring as gently caress.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Disagree about your top 3 but agree Eternals should have been like you said

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At the very least the first episode of Murderville is pretty good. Celebrity guest homicide detective Conan O Brien is gonna crack open this magician murder case wide open.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shinjobi posted:

At the very least the first episode of Murderville is pretty good. Celebrity guest homicide detective Conan O Brien is gonna crack open this magician murder case wide open.

I binged the whole thing, it’s great, best thing out of Netflix in a long time (for me)

Will Arnett is a treasure

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
god Eternals was so loving boring

like early DC era Man of Steel boring

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1489684898558316546?cxt=HHwWhMCo3bihtqwpAAAA

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Eternals should have looked like Guardians 2 and everyone should have been as hammy and Shakespearean as possible.

I mean Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons levels of scenery chewing.

Instead it was grey and melancholy and boring as gently caress.

Yeah, I think Chloé Zhao was just too much of a naturalistic filmmaker for Eternals. She creates these amazing, melodic movies that emphasize vast natural landscapes and small, meaningful human interactions. But in Eternals the vast natural landscapes just made these superheroes look small, while the moments of meaningful human interaction still had to be filled with MCU-approved quips that ruined their power.

I don't know who would have been a better choice, though. James Gunn clearly has the formula right, but they wouldn't want The Eternals to be too much like Guardians of the Galaxy (plus, he's clearly put Marvel on the back-burner after the firing). Kenneth Branagh can do scene-chewing shakespearian schlock, but his grasp of the cosmic stuff is limited (as we saw in the first Thor).

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

he was okay in dune

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Lana Wachowski would have been a slam dunk pick for a proper Eternals movie.

Just tell her "Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons is the vibe" and let her have at it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, Luc Besson

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I regret to inform you that Luc Besson, the man who tried to make Leon into a pedo movie before all that stuff got cut out, is a sex predator

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
poo poo, now I want a Baz Luhrmann marvel moopie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The United States posted:

I regret to inform you that Luc Besson is a sex predator

GDI

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

poo poo, now I want a Baz Luhrmann marvel moopie.

The first appearance of mutants in the MCU will happen in Phase 5, when we get Baz Luhrmann's Dazzler.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The Russo brothers are actually really solid. Just give them a killer script and tell them to e it look like a backlight painting.

Same with the guys who did 21 Jump Street

Ok wait I just remembered they were fired from Star Wars for being too creative lol

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
luc besson was a trailblazer who paved the way for directors like anderson and wisemen to cast their wives as action stars

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Id watch a dazzler movie. She has visually fun abilities

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:eyepop:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

The first appearance of mutants in the MCU will happen in Phase 5, when we get Baz Luhrmann's Dazzler.

I'd watch it

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
Here's tonight's movie lineup!

1. Aleta: Vampire Mistress

I grabbed this because it seems to be a vanity project. It's not quite the ideal black tank-top vanity project trifecta of writer/director/star, but she's an executive producer, a producer, the star and has a story credit! IMDB has the genre listed as
Action Fantasy Horror Musical Thriller. When I bounced through, some bits did look like a music video. Be prepared for total, self-indulgent vanity nonsense! Also gratuitous boobs. I'm hoping for a Diamond Cobra vs the White Fox, but I've got something else lined up if it turns out to be another Witchcraft.

2. SheBorg

It's Australian and the SheBorg actually looks like the one on the poster! That's it. That's pretty much all I know.

3. Automation

A military robot is reprogrammed for manual labour in a commercial warehouse, but some of its memories remain, leaving it with robo-PTSD. Will social bonds with it's human co-workers allow it to come to terms with its past and settle into a comfortable civilian existence, or will it go bonkers and murder the ever loving poo poo out of everybody? Your guess is as good as mine!*

As usual, we'll be starting at 8:00 pm EST, which is approximately 3.5 hours from now.

*Assuming you guessed murder

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dr. Thoss posted:

2. SheBorg

This is the best poster/cover art for one of these badmovies in a long time

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Looks like some hot claw game action too in that thing in the top right is any indication

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Extreme "I just stepped in Lego" face

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/DirkBlocker/status/1387445918731890688?s=20&t=Ot-3eeFp2NxC52li4cFdSA

This would have certainly been...something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
New Raised by Wolves, I dig it. gently caress it let's just go with the weirdness, they're doing a pretty solid job of worldbuilding with some interesting mysteries and some wild scary poo poo. The planet is kind of terrifying with the acid ocean and giant whirlpools and that's the nicer part.

The intro music is still some of the best I've heard too it gives me dang chills every time.

Also Peacemaker got CRAZY. Surprised there are still 2 episodes left, felt like it was the penultimate one last night. It was directed by Gunn and there were some fantastic sequences. The woods chase especially. "Man, Eagly is hardcore!!"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

looks kinda like they took a screenshot of an Underworld movie or similar and photoshopped cyborg stuff in. That wide-open mouth is giving me monster movie vibes

Organasm
Jun 13, 2005

Those who read books gain the world, those who watch television lose it

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Les Mis by Tom Hooper is legit one of the worst films of all time.

Tobe is the superior Hooper. You know what movies are still really great are his Cannon trilogy, especially Lifeforce and TCM2

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What if tom hooper made cats just to take the heat off of les mis :tinfoil:

It is pretty objectively bad but I feel it's at least sometimes in a funny way, like whenever russell crowe is singing and the stock splat sound effect when he dies

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

No Mods No Masters posted:

What if tom hooper made cats just to take the heat off of les mis :tinfoil:

It is pretty objectively bad but I feel it's at least sometimes in a funny way, like whenever russell crowe is singing and the stock splat sound effect when he dies

Nah, he got away with Les Mis. Going back to the scene of the crime (musical theatre adaptations) for Cats just caused a lot of people who hadn't thought about it too hard to re-evaluate Les Mis and see how bad it was.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
My Les Mis story is I had zero knowledge of the musical but had read the book as a kid and loved it. I walked out of that movie so loving mad, "THEY JUST SANG?"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i tried peacemaker and i gotta say it's by far the best comic book thing i've watched in a long time. i don't know jack about any of the characters and i've never watched either suicide squad. but it's good. i like the song

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In preparation for this post I watched this clip 10 times and it got at least a small laugh out of me every time. Masterpiece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJT-qZjos8

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I haaaate how that film was shot. All these endless disgusting wide angle close ups of faces as they sing boring songs. gently caress off!!!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WSysB5vKM

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Absolute dogshit film making

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i like when borat did the funny song and dance

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Mozi posted:

i tried peacemaker and i gotta say it's by far the best comic book thing i've watched in a long time. i don't know jack about any of the characters and i've never watched either suicide squad. but it's good. i like the song

The music is pretty fun with a lot of deep cuts, James Gunn style. I enjoyed the Bang Camaro tune showing up in one ep.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikqU6G6Xgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One thing I like most about peace maker is that it doesn’t look like it’s shot in front of a green screen. They go to all these grimy looking locations. It’s well made.