Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Killer_B posted:

Which of the two will have better battery life?

I checked phone scoop and technically the Pro has slightly better batter life (5000 vs 4600), but IMO that’s pretty negligible.

If you can afford it, I would get the Pro for the camera difference and refresh rate alone.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/11/pixel-6-review-google-hardware-finally-lives-up-to-its-potential/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does anybody have any experience with Obama phone (Lifeline?) plans? Do they actually work?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Charles posted:

Does anybody have any experience with Obama phone (Lifeline?) plans? Do they actually work?

I've known a lot of people with one, and they generally work fine. The main things are they tend to be low-end phones, and frequently have plans that are like stepping back in time - limited minutes and low data allowances. Depending on where you are geographically the provider will be different, so could a smaller name like Assurance or a more established company like Tracfone. Accessing customer and such can be a pain, but that's true across cell phones in general.

The only other thing is the annual need to requalify, but that isn't generally much different than requalifying for other assistance programs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've known a lot of people with one, and they generally work fine. The main things are they tend to be low-end phones, and frequently have plans that are like stepping back in time - limited minutes and low data allowances. Depending on where you are geographically the provider will be different, so could a smaller name like Assurance or a more established company like Tracfone. Accessing customer and such can be a pain, but that's true across cell phones in general.

The only other thing is the annual need to requalify, but that isn't generally much different than requalifying for other assistance programs.

Around here Assurance uses T-mobile and it seems like a good plan? Unlimited everything, 10GB hotspot, though lower priority on the towers. I think that might be a temporary program for Covid though? The plan below says 4.5gb & 1000 minutes (which would be fine). I'd give one of my old phones away.

edit: Searching reddit, their customer service is pretty awful and they don't allow BYOD, hmm

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Charles posted:

Around here Assurance uses T-mobile and it seems like a good plan? Unlimited everything, 10GB hotspot, though lower priority on the towers. I think that might be a temporary program for Covid though? The plan below says 4.5gb & 1000 minutes (which would be fine). I'd give one of my old phones away.

edit: Searching reddit, their customer service is pretty awful and they don't allow BYOD, hmm

Yeah, that sounds like the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB), which is the newer, pandemic-related program. The Lifeline program should continue fine afterward. I realize I omitted the "service" in my post above in talking about accessing customer service as a potential pain.

Semi-related, there is also a long-standing, pre-pandemic program that will cover Internet service that most major ISPs can access, and the EBB applies there, too. Usually if you qualify for food stamps, Medicaid, or some other programs you can qualify for it, similar to the Lifeline program. It's not the fastest, but it is something. The Comcast version is called Internet Essentials, for instance: https://internetessentials.com/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Are there any new Moto phones on the immediate horizon with an amoled/oled or something like it display?

My 2ish year old Moto G Fast is OK, but it's start to freak out when I plug in the charging cable so I think the port is dying and might be on its last legs. I've been buying a G every 2-3 years since they first came out. The G series in general has been almost perfect for me as I am pretty basic with my needs

I am not an apple person and the more vanilla the android the better so Samsung is totally out. I had a galaxy tablet and the undeletable shovel-ware was terrible.

Considering dropping the coin on a Pixel 6, which I can afford, but I don't like spending that much as my needs are really only a "decent" camera, reliable and a nice display with a minimum of software poo poo. Periodic software/security updates are nice which I know Moto isn't the greatest on.

Hell, I won't even be using 5G as all my high data needs are done when I'm in my house tied to wifi and my non-wifi needs are basically just email.

Should I still lean towards a Pixel 6 or look at something else? I have no brand loyalty other than Moto has been "ok" to me and not an Apple fan.

Only interested in buying something unlocked, outright.

Canada/Telus based network if that makes a difference.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 5, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Are there any new Moto phones on the immediate horizon with an amoled/oled or something like it display?

My 2ish year old Moto G Fast is OK, but it's start to freak out when I plug in the charging cable so I think the port is dying and might be on its last legs. I've been buying a G every 2-3 years since they first came out. The G series in general has been almost perfect for me as I am pretty basic with my needs

I am not an apple person and the more vanilla the android the better so Samsung is totally out. I had a galaxy tablet and the undeletable shovel-ware was terrible.

Considering dropping the coin on a Pixel 6, which I can afford, but I don't like spending that much as my needs are really only a "decent" camera, reliable and a nice display with a minimum of software poo poo. Periodic software/security updates are nice which I know Moto isn't the greatest on.

Hell, I won't even be using 5G as all my high data needs are done when I'm in my house tied to wifi and my non-wifi needs are basically just email.

Should I still lean towards a Pixel 6 or look at something else? I have no brand loyalty other than Moto has been "ok" to me and not an Apple fan.

Only interested in buying something unlocked, outright.

Canada/Telus based network if that makes a difference.

Personally I think the Pixel 6 is worth it. More expensive, but it’ll last longer.

Motorola makes pretty good $200-300 phones, but good bet you could get one pixel 6 for $600 and make it last 4-5 years with your usage, whereas you’re getting at least 2 Motorolas in that time frame.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I like the way you think. I'm leaning that way the more I think about it.
Thanks

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there anywhere that will just sell you a data sim as a primary plan for a phone? I'm increasingly realizing I don't need, or even want, the actual "phone" functions, beyond the capacity to call 911 which exists regardless; be nice to not pay for them anymore.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

Is there anywhere that will just sell you a data sim as a primary plan for a phone? I'm increasingly realizing I don't need, or even want, the actual "phone" functions, beyond the capacity to call 911 which exists regardless; be nice to not pay for them anymore.

No. They’ll always have voice as a factor.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Does a cheap or semi cheap phone exist anymore that will have at least some updates and wireless charging.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am looking for a dumbphone that can be used as a wifi hotspot.

I am aware that nokia do some but their performance as phones is meant to be shite. There is the punkt phone but I am not a fan of the wedge design. There is also that itel but I can't get that in the UK.

Does anyone know of good one?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Google Voice has started expiring numbers after six months of inactivity (incoming texts don't count). I have a number there saved for my kid (he's not ready for a phone yet), but I'm poo poo at remembering to use it. Any recommendations for other places to park it for free or cheap? I'd need to be able to transfer back out easily. Alternatively, if there is an insanely cheap data plan (so he can stream audiobooks on long drives), I'd be interested in that, too. Thanks!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

blk posted:

Google Voice has started expiring numbers after six months of inactivity (incoming texts don't count). I have a number there saved for my kid (he's not ready for a phone yet), but I'm poo poo at remembering to use it. Any recommendations for other places to park it for free or cheap? I'd need to be able to transfer back out easily. Alternatively, if there is an insanely cheap data plan (so he can stream audiobooks on long drives), I'd be interested in that, too. Thanks!

I get emails from Google when an unused Google Voice number is in danger of expiring. Maybe just link that Google account with another email so you get alerts? I maintain a separate Voice number in case I need it for work but never actually use it, and I get emails sent to my work email account that alert me when it is in danger of shutting off.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I get emails from Google when an unused Google Voice number is in danger of expiring. Maybe just link that Google account with another email so you get alerts? I maintain a separate Voice number in case I need it for work but never actually use it, and I get emails sent to my work email account that alert me when it is in danger of shutting off.

Thanks, that's a good tip - I almost missed the last email so I don't trust myself to catch the next one (and I already lost another number, oof).

I did find Tello has 1 GB data per month for $6 so I might sign up for that, unless anybody here had a bad experience with them.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I need to get an unlocked work phone, which to me basically narrows it down to the Pixel 5a and 6. I know the 6 is generally seen as a better value, but I absolutely loving hate glass backs and slippery phones in general, and I refuse to use a phone condom. I also don't have a lot of time to make a decision. Dear goons, please help me.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

K8.0 posted:

I'm in a bit of a weird situation. I need to get an unlocked work phone, which to me basically narrows it down to the Pixel 5a and 6. I know the 6 is generally seen as a better value, but I absolutely loving hate glass backs and slippery phones in general, and I refuse to use a phone condom. I also don't have a lot of time to make a decision. Dear goons, please help me.

Pixel 6/Pro + grip tape, obvs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

This is dumb stubbornness, they make cases that you barely notice. Get the pixel 6.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Duckman2008 posted:

This is dumb stubbornness, they make cases that you barely notice
thanks for telling me how my hands work. for me, even a slim case impedes function and i end up with a lot of missed gestures. i also don't think the 6 is slippery, but i did put a 3/4" puffy sticker on the back of mine that covers up the google logo and makes it a little nicer to hold

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

K8.0 posted:

Might be able to find an samsung s21 for cheaper now that the 22s will release soon. No glass back on those.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm switching from a Motorola G5 Plus with a Republic wireless plan that will carry over. Lots of dead zones in my neck of Maine woods. Willing to spend up to $600.

Should I get a Google Pixel 6 or 5A, or even a Pro? Or a different phone brand? Looking for excellent wifi/night camera optics.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Grouchio posted:

I'm switching from a Motorola G5 Plus with a Republic wireless plan that will carry over. Lots of dead zones in my neck of Maine woods. Willing to spend up to $600.

Should I get a Google Pixel 6 or 5A, or even a Pro? Or a different phone brand? Looking for excellent wifi/night camera optics.

The recommendation from further up the page (at least for me) seems to be for a 6 Pro, if you can swing it - Better camera at least, and better refresh, which might or might not be a must-have feature in your case.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Regarding a 6/6 Pro, is it better to get one brand new, or to go through a site like Swappa instead?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I wound up getting a Pixel 6, and it's worse than I imagined it could be ergo wise. Not only is it as slippery as I expected, but the camera cliff is so sharp the ergonomics have to be the worst of any phone in 10+ years. Anyone have any case recommendations? I want something that has actual grip to it and minimally interferes with the edges.

I don't know if there is such a thing, but a case meant to be attached with adhesive would actually be most preferable to me. I'm not interested in trying to protect the screen if I drop it, I'm interested in not dropping it without it being annoying to use the navigation gestures. I'd legitimately do something like grip tape the back of the phone, but the camera bit is so sharp and detached that it really needs a proper ramp to be able to get in and out of my pocket cleanly without being a drop risk.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
what about those knobs that you stick to the back

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm finally elegiable for an upgrade, which is good timing because my current phone is grinding to a halt. I've been looking at phones in my budget, and it essentially comes down to the Motorola One 5G Ace and the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G.

They are exactly the same price from my provider, and I like the specs of the motorola a bit more (nicer screen, better selfie camera, better bluetooth) but seems to be one version of android behind (10 vs 11 on the samsung).

Does anyone have opinions on the two? Does one have glaring flaws in it that I'll regret?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm finally elegiable for an upgrade, which is good timing because my current phone is grinding to a halt. I've been looking at phones in my budget, and it essentially comes down to the Motorola One 5G Ace and the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G.

They are exactly the same price from my provider, and I like the specs of the motorola a bit more (nicer screen, better selfie camera, better bluetooth) but seems to be one version of android behind (10 vs 11 on the samsung).

Does anyone have opinions on the two? Does one have glaring flaws in it that I'll regret?

I have a Motorola One 5G Ace and am considering taking a run at Motorola to demand a refund because of the lack of support. It's a great phone, is nice hardware, but has been out since January 2021 and is still stuck on Android 10 with no end in sight. They have been saying for months it will get the Android 11 update "as soon as possible," and for the last couple months are also saying it will get Android 12, but provide no timelines and only vague reasons why the update is so delayed. Security updates have often lagged, and are only every two months. They only guaranteed two years of support, so the phone could be completely abandoned on February 1st, 2023.

If you want to hang onto the phone for a while, and are okay with the Samsung bloatware, it would be a better choice at this point.

If Motorola pulls their head out and actually supports the Ace then it would be a different answer, but I hesitate to think that is very likely.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you want to hang onto the phone for a while, and are okay with the Samsung bloatware, it would be a better choice at this point.

If Motorola pulls their head out and actually supports the Ace then it would be a different answer, but I hesitate to think that is very likely.

Thanks for the info.

That its running an older android isn't a huge dealbreaker (i'm pretty sure my current phone is on 9), but buying a phone with at most a year of support left in it is rough. I keep my phones until they physically break or the number of apps it cant run from the play store gets annoying.

I do thoroughly hate the samsung bloatware, but I suppose that could be tolerated if it means the phone will survive the 2+ years I plan on keeping it.

Edit: I just noticed the samsung has half the internal storage. Which is weird, the specs comparison website said they were both 128gb. I'm sure 64gb is fine, but the number of inferior specs is really adding up to favour the motorola.

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 2, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks for the info.

That its running an older android isn't a huge dealbreaker (i'm pretty sure my current phone is on 9), but buying a phone with at most a year of support left in it is rough. I keep my phones until they physically break or the number of apps it cant run from the play store gets annoying.

I do thoroughly hate the samsung bloatware, but I suppose that could be tolerated if it means the phone will survive the 2+ years I plan on keeping it.

Edit: I just noticed the samsung has half the internal storage. Which is weird, the specs comparison website said they were both 128gb. I'm sure 64gb is fine, but the number of inferior specs is really adding up to favour the motorola.

Yeah, I actually love my Ace, and if updates weren't an issue I would heartily recommend it. Motorola is close to stock Android with just a few nifty additions, like gestures to open the camera or turn on the flashlight, which I appreciate. For whatever reason Motorola is just terrible about updates in general, and have been particularly bad specifically with the One 5G Ace. It's maddening to feel like I have to warn people about a phone I would be an evangelist for if it was actually being supported.

https://www.wired.com/story/motorola-software-updates-rant/

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Samsung Galaxy A32 5G

This is what I got when I had to get a new phone in January. It's fine so far, if I had any complaints it's:

- not having a removable backplate: having to use a slider tray for SIM and SD and the battery not being replaceable
- being longer, thicker, and heavier than my last phone
- made of very slippery plastic so a case is absolutely necessary
- my old phone's port was micro-USB and this one is USB-C so I had to buy a new car charger. came with a normal wall-plug charger at least, although the cord on it is dreadfully short

Minor gripes, really. At least Samsung gives 4 years of security updates, which sounds like an important metric for you. That's the most of any of the mid-range brands. I also considered the One Ace, and while it has better hardware for performance purposes, a mere 2 years of updates is just unacceptable. I would have preferred to buy the Galaxy A42 but I bought through T-Mobile and they don't carry it for some reason.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Country/Provider: US/Net10

Current contract status: can leave any time

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like to stay with a Samsung, single person plan, unlimited

Features I know I want: cheapest possible - I'm not a big data user - mostly texting and phone calls, but I don't want to completely limit myself.

My phone has recently been determined to be incompatible with Net10's service (Samsung J7). They told me today that they no longer support 3G (which my phone is definitely 4G, but whatever).

So I'd like suggestions on what type of phone to get and what provider would be better for me than Net10 (they're service is good, but CS is awful).

Also I'd like to be able to transfer what I have on my phone to a new phone. And I'd like to keep my current phone number.

I'd like to keep my single user budget to ~$70/month.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please ask me for any more info you may need. Since my phone is shot, I cannot respond until tomorrow evening (unless it's the next hour or so).

Thanks in advance.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Country/Provider: US/Net10

Current contract status: can leave any time

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like to stay with a Samsung, single person plan, unlimited

Features I know I want: cheapest possible - I'm not a big data user - mostly texting and phone calls, but I don't want to completely limit myself.

My phone has recently been determined to be incompatible with Net10's service (Samsung J7). They told me today that they no longer support 3G (which my phone is definitely 4G, but whatever).

So I'd like suggestions on what type of phone to get and what provider would be better for me than Net10 (they're service is good, but CS is awful).

Also I'd like to be able to transfer what I have on my phone to a new phone. And I'd like to keep my current phone number.

I'd like to keep my single user budget to ~$70/month.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please ask me for any more info you may need. Since my phone is shot, I cannot respond until tomorrow evening (unless it's the next hour or so).

Thanks in advance.

Verizon prepaid for unlimited data is $65, $60 with autopay, and it goes down to $55 and $50 after 3 and 9 months of payments.

Fyi moving a number from Net 10 to Verizon sometimes suuuuucks, it can take legit 2 days. But it can be done , it’s just if you’re Net 10 SIM is piggybacking on Verizon , for whatever reason it takes longer to transfer.

I’m not up date on the best low low cost phones , I always recommend the Pixel 5a or the Samsung Galaxy A42 for $300-400ish because IMO it’s worth it since they’ll actually support the phone longer and it works better than the cheap series. But that I’m betting is over what you have in your head budget wise.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

This is the same phone I had before I got the A32. Apparently it makes calls/texts via 3G and only ever uses LTE for data. All the 3G services are being shut down this year, so yeah, you gotta get a new one.

The A32 5G is a significant upgrade from the J7. It's ok, see my post directly above yours. Maybe go with the A42 instead if you can get one. Can't help you with provider because I went with the bare minimum, cheapest plan ($15/mo for 2.5 GB).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
AT&T just blocks devices that manufacturers haven't paid to get access from using VoLTE, but regardless, I think that device is like Android 6 or 7 which involves a bunch of APN settings and crap to get working right even on a network like Tmobile that doesn't do that.

edit: but if you want to keep your device and not contribute to e-waste I'd go to T-mobile or one of their MVNOs like Mint, not sure about plans and stuff for you but typing in those APN settings isn't that hard.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 5, 2022

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for all the replies.

I kicked Net10 in the rear end, and signed up with Consumer Cellular for the 10 GB/month plan at $40. Doing that meant I needed to get a new phone, so I went with the Samsung S21 to be almost as up to date as possible without going into debt.

I'm hoping my number transfers over, as that's what I signed up for. I'll see in a few days how everything goes.

Thanks again for all the input. I do appreciate it.

Ofecks posted:

All the 3G services are being shut down this year, so yeah, you gotta get a new one.

You'd think my ex provider - Net10 - would have let their customers know this. They didn't, so gently caress them.

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 7, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You could tell me Net10 (and most MNVOs) hired people to setup the initial system, fired them all and just subside completely on automation without any employees and I would almost believe it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

AT&T just blocks devices that manufacturers haven't paid to get access from using VoLTE, but regardless, I think that device is like Android 6 or 7 which involves a bunch of APN settings and crap to get working right even on a network like Tmobile that doesn't do that.

edit: but if you want to keep your device and not contribute to e-waste I'd go to T-mobile or one of their MVNOs like Mint, not sure about plans and stuff for you but typing in those APN settings isn't that hard.

To be clear when I say AT&T I mean any of their MVNOs / subbrands like Cricket and I think you can use the AT&T network while on Net10 too. Although if your device truly doesn't have VoLTE it won't work on any network now.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Duckman2008 posted:

You could tell me Net10 (and most MNVOs) hired people to setup the initial system, fired them all and just subside completely on automation without any employees and I would almost believe it.

All of my customer service experiences with Net10 would lead me to believe this as well - HORRIBLE CS. My one experience with Consumer Cellular was actually pleasant, so I hope that continues when I contact them for my hook up to their network.

Charles posted:

To be clear when I say AT&T I mean any of their MVNOs / subbrands like Cricket and I think you can use the AT&T network while on Net10 too. Although if your device truly doesn't have VoLTE it won't work on any network now.

Yep. My phone does not have VoLTE. Like I said earlier, it would have been nice to get some kind of information about that before losing my connection to the outside world on my phone.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I currently have a Samsung Note 10+ on Verizon (USA) (sm-n975u1). I bought it unlocked from Amazon about 2 years ago as they bring my own device option for my phone service that my job provides. They're planning on switching to AT&T and I can't find a straight answer as to whether or not I can just pop a Verizon sim out of this and pop in a AT&T SIM? It's been years since I was up to speed on the whole GSM versus CDMA yada yada yada stuff...

Anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

I currently have a Samsung Note 10+ on Verizon (USA) (sm-n975u1). I bought it unlocked from Amazon about 2 years ago as they bring my own device option for my phone service that my job provides. They're planning on switching to AT&T and I can't find a straight answer as to whether or not I can just pop a Verizon sim out of this and pop in a AT&T SIM? It's been years since I was up to speed on the whole GSM versus CDMA yada yada yada stuff...

Anyone know?

Yeah, whenever your job sends you an ATT SIM, just swap it and you should be fine. A Note 10+ will work on both. The dumb poo poo from years ago is now thankfully irrelevant.