Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am really sad that the term "Truck Haul Putsch" hasn't taken off in social media. I think it perfectly encapsulates these morons and their place in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Alctel posted:

What's a good source to find out the latest on the protests? Social media is a total bust, I've seen completely contradictory statements on various things and I'm not educated enough on who or what to believe

The Ottawa Citizen has been running real-time coverage, written in actual long-form prose. They have one article per day:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...ntretown-patrol
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/truck-convoy-protests-road-closures-continue-thursday-as-frustration-grows

etc.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The Ottawa Citizen has been running real-time coverage, written in actual long-form prose. They have one article per day:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...ntretown-patrol
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/truck-convoy-protests-road-closures-continue-thursday-as-frustration-grows

etc.

Thank you!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Alctel posted:

Thank you!

No worries!

And lol:

quote:

National, provincial and local intelligence agencies have boosted efforts to identify and target protestors who are funding, supporting or enabling unlawful and harmful activity. Investigative teams are collecting financial, digital, vehicle registration, driver identification, insurance status, and other related evidence that can be used in criminal prosecutions.

Given the Twitter thread from an insurance adjuster about how hosed these assholes are if their insurance company finds out they're using their trucks for non-commerical purposes, I have high hopes for this development.

I'm also just thinking back to the 2012 Vancouver hockey riots, and how it was policed retrospectively using cell phone and security camera footage. I think it's pretty likely there will be a lot more arrests long after this is over. It doesn't help the citizens of downtown Ottawa who are having to deal with excessant honking and hate crimes right now, but it's at least something.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

No worries!

And lol:

Given the Twitter thread from an insurance adjuster about how hosed these assholes are if their insurance company finds out they're using their trucks for non-commerical purposes, I have high hopes for this development.

I'm also just thinking back to the 2012 Vancouver hockey riots, and how it was policed retrospectively using cell phone and security camera footage. I think it's pretty likely there will be a lot more arrests long after this is over. It doesn't help the citizens of downtown Ottawa who are having to deal with excessant honking and hate crimes right now, but it's at least something.

Ahem. That was 2011. Anyway I am kind of amazed that there hasn't been a name and shame campaign yet against these arseholes but I guess they won't really have a job to be fired from or anything.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Ah yes, the mysterious funders. Typical Liberal response, why directly address a problem when you can dicker with a tax code!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Cops hired the Jian Ghomeshi crisis PR firm, they have their eyes on the ball.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-police-elite-crisis-management-firm-protest-messaging-1.6339630

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Imagine being known as the "Jian Ghomeshi crisis PR firm". Sounds like someone needs some repuation management.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Wow I'm glad my taxes are paying Navigator, surely this is more reasonable than the cops having done even the bare minimum about this week long chud fest.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 7, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I truly don't know how to respond to someone telling me, "my whole family and kids and newborn had it - no symptoms, vaccines are a myth!" Like, good for you? Maybe they are lying? I dunno.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

No worries!

And lol:

This will absolutely happen explicitly to the counter protestors tomorrow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol imagine taking advice from Earthworm Jim over here

What is the deal with these awful pictures people take of themselves?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Vintersorg posted:

I truly don't know how to respond to someone telling me, "my whole family and kids and newborn had it - no symptoms, vaccines are a myth!" Like, good for you? Maybe they are lying? I dunno.

Anti-vaxxers be crazy, yo.

You're dealing with a person who is severely delusional. Treat them just like you would a disheveled man having a conversation with an inanimate object in the park, or a dude who tells you the aliens visited him and probed his rear end in a top hat. Stay the gently caress away, you can't fix that level of crazy and there's no point in trying.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

He’s a communication expert because everyone is always asking “what’s that German word for a punchable face?”when they see him

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Ottawa tow truck companies tell locals and cops to pound sand: https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/tow-truck-companies-rejecting-ottawa-police-request-for-help-source-1.5768436

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Don’t they need to be certified by the city to operate?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Scrappers will be anywhere you want in an hour with a tow truck.

get a loader with forks and they'll bring all their buddies with flatbeds. have everything cleaned up in an hour.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Yes they do need a license to operate in Ottawa. Maybe their weakling mayor and council could remind them of that?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think you really can respond because it's not like you'd be able to argue using logic and reason.

Responding with something like "TRUTH! ALL HAIL MZIKMORF THE GRASSHOPPER KING!" might work because it might confuse them as much as their statement confused you but even that's unlikely.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 4, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On the other hand, if the tow companies are receiving death threats and poo poo, I can see their reluctance considering the police are just absolutely childishly useless.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

It seems like this is building up to a situation where Trudeau sending in the troops is the only real option

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

PT6A posted:

Treat them just like you would a disheveled man having a conversation with an inanimate object in the park, or a dude who tells you the aliens visited him and probed his rear end in a top hat. Stay the gently caress away, you can't fix that level of crazy and there's no point in trying.

You're describing my job lmao

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

It seems like this is building up to a situation where Trudeau sending in the troops is the only real option

Yes who would've guessed that "do absolutely nothing" or "capitulate to these arsehole's demands" were not, actually, good choices?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

PittTheElder posted:

You could park every single one of those 50,000 trucks on this guy's forehead.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Capital Letdown posted:

You're describing my job lmao

If you're trained for it, then good. But that's probably not something the average person should do because they simply do not know how to help effectively.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, if the tow companies are receiving death threats and poo poo, I can see their reluctance considering the police are just absolutely childishly useless.

I'm under the impression these tow truck companies are normally remorseless shitbirds who tow at any opportunity to make a buck, so gently caress 'em to a degree.

Really feels great to know angry white men can use violence or the threat of it to get away with what they want.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That guys forehead looks like the ancient SA photoshop thing of that guys forehead that was all scarred up and someone made a like, 50 screen high version of it where you just kept scrolling.

Also, ignoring that response I got is probably right - it was on my (good) cousins post about winter tires or something then you had the crazy trucker supporters come in and I just had to touch the poop.

It's sugar water btw in case none of you figured it out - we're all being duped!! (actual words)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/buperac/status/1489689761031860226

lol. lmao even.

terrorist vibes aside, please, all UCP MLAs leave the party and sit as independents. please, that will show him.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Nice eyes though.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PT6A posted:

Yes who would've guessed that "do absolutely nothing" or "capitulate to these arsehole's demands" were not, actually, good choices?

I think a lot of people are still expecting the convoy to run out of fuel supplies earlier, but they seem to still be moving diesel and propane in, in large quantities. I saw 4 pickups on a walk earlier, 3 hauling diesel there, one hauling empty jerry can back. They are staging at RCGT park just east of RCMP headquarters.

https://twitter.com/CanadianCentury/status/1489342581473484810

Should be easy enough to drop some concrete to cut them off, that parking lot is city property, but no one has done it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Didn't he play the Navigator in David Lynch's Dune?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Small face, peddlin waste, for a Big Bank

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Yes they do need a license to operate in Ottawa. Maybe their weakling mayor and council could remind them of that?

Tow trucks in Ottawa are all owned and run by organized crime and regularly tow people's cars to undisclosed locations and demand 4 figure ransoms.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

“Moisturize me.”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

https://twitter.com/buperac/status/1489689761031860226

lol. lmao even.

terrorist vibes aside, please, all UCP MLAs leave the party and sit as independents. please, that will show him.

Jason Kenney is the most gormless motherfucker imaginable. "If I appease these nuts, surely that will be the end of it and they'll love me again! There's no way it could set a bad precedent!"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

jettisonedstuff posted:

Tow trucks in Ottawa are all owned and run by organized crime and regularly tow people's cars to undisclosed locations and demand 4 figure ransoms.

Even better. They don’t have ideology and will kneecap any Gomer who has an issue. Pay them the 800k per day the cops want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PittTheElder posted:

QAnon O'Brien