Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

IIRC the Tanya author is a massive communist

https://twitter.com/sonzaix/status/797443693619789824

'communism and democracy occur naturally'

https://twitter.com/sonzaix/status/831521445528293376

'everyone, my brain's been too poisoned by capitalism'

he also follows a bunch of leftist twitter account, real life left-leaning politicians, etc. he might be joking around a bit with the communism stuff but dude's 100% pretty hard left, at least when it comes to economics. he's rt'd stuff supporting the american starbucks and amazon unions and such.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i assume its dead now or w/e but he had a last.fm post that was just yeah thats me, amateur communist

tweets that people pulled out of context of whatever was going on years ago merit a grain of salt though. otoh this is what he had to say directly:

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 4, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the year of dejiko, rapidly becoming Real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3H3hHRdipk

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I started Mushoku Tensei

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Between visiting Crompo,

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

good luck on your tests

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

DoubleDonut posted:

Between visiting Crompo,

and studying fat teats ...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
right when I start thinking "this show is fun and has good animation but I wish it'd start doing some character development", they do an episode that's just a deep dive on the leads. It's almost like flipflappers has a good writer, or something

I mean it's so stylized I have no idea how much of it is real, but, I'm sure it'll make sense eventually. Or alternatively, it never will, and that's okay, too, I still don't know why Utena turned into a car and that movie owned

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
flip flappers has a big explainy moment sorta but. it's not really a show with grand mysteries to solve or anything it's mostly just a bunch of weird animators and writers vibing

ironically the ep you're probly talking about, if it's the one about cocona hanging out with a bunch of different variations of papika, happened right after the lady doing series composition had to bow out and had to give the director a crash course on how to write yuri anime

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No I haven't seen that one yet. The one I just saw is the one where Cocona and Papika are kids who change places to live with the cool old lady instead of their biological, dysfunctional, parents

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
why is she cocona instead of kokona anyways

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

Also I started Mushoku Tensei

i'm a mushoku tensei liker

mushoku tensei defender maybe not, but,

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

cheetah7071 posted:

why is she cocona instead of kokona anyways
I assume to keep the food theme going

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

surf rock posted:

I'm still working my way through The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (thank you all again for pointing me to the broadcast order; I can't imagine having watched it chronologically). While doing so, I became curious about what were the other goon consensus "best shows" of past years. I figured I could figure that out pretty easily by going through the records here. Then I went through the list and flagged the top one or two shows from each year, sometimes skipping further down the list if the very top ones didn't appeal to me for whatever reason. Here's what I came up with:

2006 Haruhi Suzumiya*
2007 Death Note* / Gurren Lagann
2008 Kaiba
2009 K-On!
2010 Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood / Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
2011 Madoka Magica*
2012 Chihayafuru
2013 Attack on Titan
2014 Ping Pong
2015 Shirobako / One Punch Man*
2016 Mob Psycho 100
2017 Girls' Last Tour
2018 A Place Further Than The Universe
2019 Kaguya-sama: Love is War
2020 Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
2021 Odd Taxi

Asterisks added to shows I've watched (or am about to finish). Feels like a pretty mix of genres here. Anyway, thought I'd share this to spark nostalgic feelings of shows folks here loved and maybe forgot as time passed.

shin sekai yori was 2012 for me, 2005 isn't here but eureka seven for 2005 and I'd probably take ergo proxy over haruhi but haruhi is good too

edit:
actually looking at MAL gently caress 2006 was a packed year

2006:
Ergo proxy
d gray man
haruhi
zegapain
nana
aria
ouran host club
black lagoon
welcome to the NHK
code geass
death note
this is counting shows that first cour(s) aired in 2006

crazy packed year!

2007 is pretty wild too:
nodame cantible
seirei no moribito
gurren lagann
darker than black
dennou coil
bokurano
heroic age(did anyone else like this show?)
Mononoke! legit forgot this came out in 2007 or even that decade
baccano
sayonara zetsubo sensei
kaiji

what an amazing few years

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 4, 2022

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

People in adtrw liked it, so i kept ploughing on to see if at any point i would see why people are so excited, but instead its just a skeleton facing no challenge whatsoever while remaining oblivious of his one servant thats harvesting human skin. Theres no point to overlord, no greater intrigue, its just a skeleton being powerful for the sake of being powerful.

I hate overlord, season 4 when?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Space Flower posted:

i assume its dead now or w/e but he had a last.fm post that was just yeah thats me, amateur communist

tweets that people pulled out of context of whatever was going on years ago merit a grain of salt though. otoh this is what he had to say directly:

Yeah. He’s conflating “West” and “United States” there. Our education/pop culture of pre-1950s 20th Century Germany doesn't extend before WW2 for obvious reasons. I loved Tanya, honestly, and hope we get more soon. I happened to catch it while I was binging The Great War YouTube channel, so the Imperial Germany analogue was awesome.

Also, the author for Monster and 20th Century Boys is the same guy?! How did I never realize that? :psyduck:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also yeah Tanya isn't actually a nazi, nor does she work for nazis. I wasnt trolling when i said shes in the adam smith foundation - the closest buzzwords to describing her is probably Randian or individualistic. Its very much about the ends justifying the means and sticking to the letter (but not the spirit) of the rules - like when she tells the factory workers to evacuate in her cutest voice in the knowledge that it means they won't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Might get a burger after work today

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
ganburgre

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tabletops posted:

shin sekai yori was 2012 for me

always forget this show existed, no one talks about it
i remember really liking it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

never be afraid to do this irl

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

marumaru posted:

Some day I'll actually watch it.

It has a great ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz1ypuGJ3VM

marumaru
May 20, 2013

twitter's algo just told me there's a japanese movie coming out and (if my terrible japanese isnt failing me) it's about the aftermath/cleanup after a huge kaijuu fight and that sounds really cool

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-mP3KydZ_4

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

marumaru posted:

I still see it get mentioned every now and then, which is more than can be said of a lot of shows from a decade ago.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i will gladly mention a show from a decade ago: Kill Me Baby

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's one of the shows that's notable to me for being one I rated highly but couldn't finish because it was just too heavy for me to get through so it kinda serves as a good example of content I appreciate but can't actually watch.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

watch trapeze/kuuchuu buranko so i have an excuse to talk about it :v:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah i still need to watch that, nakamura is probably my favorite director based on mononoke+tsuritama+gatchaman crowds so I'm sure I'll love that one too

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

marumaru posted:

I finally got to it a few years ago after many dropped attempts and it's quite good, albeit a bit emotionally distant. gently caress the ending tho. squealer was right. burn it all down.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Tales of Woe posted:

seconding this

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!

Tales of Woe posted:

I haven't thought of this show in ages, thanks for reminding me it existed https://youtu.be/slazi2PpYUo

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

if only i could

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tabletops posted:

heroic age(did anyone else like this show?)

I liked it more than a lot of other shows, largely for its willingness to go big on its setting.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 4, 2022

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend me good anime/manga podcasts?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Violet_Sky posted:

put this thread on text to speech

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Bizarre Podcast: Dogs Must Die is pretty fun. It's a recap/blind watch on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. One host has seen up to part 5, one is only familiar with the series via some memes and odd conversations thanks to cultural osmosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

can anyone recommend me the delicious and most edible deadly poisonous mushrooms?