Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Joe Fisto posted:

The only comics channel I trust is Comictropes.

I really like their content but it kills me he can't figure out how to focus his camera at all.

Solid channel without any chuddery so far, though. Would like to see more comic channels that are about comic history or just not constantly retelling storylines and wiki pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aaronicon posted:

I really like their content but it kills me he can't figure out how to focus his camera at all.

Solid channel without any chuddery so far, though. Would like to see more comic channels that are about comic history or just not constantly retelling storylines and wiki pages.

I keep meaning to make a thread but whatever it fits here I guess.

These are the channels I bother with.

Cartoonist Kayfabe (not perfect and way too willing to forgive people who are horrible humans if they make good art, but generally on the right side of things).

Alex Toth in Depth. All he cares about is Alex toth. Might be bad but I haven’t seen anything like so far.

Elsa Charretier. A French artist who does breakdowns of her process. Really incredible to watch.

For the Love of Comics. A really positive dude from India who just posts videos about his comics. He had a couple vids with his wife talking about sandman that I liked a lot.

Strip Panel Naked. Breakdowns of comics. By the guy who does the PanelxPanel magazine. Just solid analysis of techniques used by artists and storytellers in the craft of comics.

Kirby Continuum. Just Kirby, all the time.

Archipel. A Japanese documentary series that sometimes touches on manga.

earl grey. A Scandinavian man talks about European comics he loves. Endearingly low effort setup.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I believe it was the Quartering who had the video "BRIE LARSEN FIRED, REPLACED FOR AVENGERS AFTER CAPTAIN MARVEL BOMBS" and it vanished after the comments filled up with people pointing out that she filmed her Avengers scenes first.

I don't even like Captain Marvel that much, but my 60 year old mom and her best friend both loving loved it and not every movie needs to be made for me and at a 1 billion dollar box office clearly it was a movie for a lot of people.

Like, I watched a lot of Marvel films with my family for the first time when they came out and Captain Marvel was easily the one my mom was most excited about afterwards. Most of what I look forward to about the sequel is watching it with my mom, I don't give a poo poo about the actual film.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Quartering has a long-standing hatred of a particular Gamespot reviewer who keeps giving decent-but-not-great reviews to games he thinks should score higher.

Yes, the reviewer is a woman and yes, he hasn't actually played the games.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I don't even like Captain Marvel that much, but my 60 year old mom and her best friend both loving loved it and not every movie needs to be made for me and at a 1 billion dollar box office clearly it was a movie for a lot of people.

It has almost nothing to do with the movie itself.

Brie Larson said something during the original Captain Marvel press tour about how she was being interviewed by a lot of white guys, which instantly turned her into a chud lightning rod.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/blog/brie-larson-wants-to-save-her-captain-marvel-press-tour-from-being-overwhelmingly-white-1.5016087

Now if anyone on the grifter outrage circuit, nerd division, wants to get some cheap heat, they'll make some poo poo up about Larson.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

It has almost nothing to do with the movie itself.

Brie Larson said something during the original Captain Marvel press tour about how she was being interviewed by a lot of white guys, which instantly turned her into a chud lightning rod.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/blog/brie-larson-wants-to-save-her-captain-marvel-press-tour-from-being-overwhelmingly-white-1.5016087

Now if anyone on the grifter outrage circuit, nerd division, wants to get some cheap heat, they'll make some poo poo up about Larson.

It's not even about the thing. I think Disneyland is dumb as gently caress, I never went as a child and I think adults who are super into Disneyland are weird, but when I went as an adult with my girlfriend and her family, it was fun seeing how excited her 6 year old cousin was to meet Goofy. That's how I feel about people who love the Captain Marvel film.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I used to like Comicstorian (I think it was) but he started to get a little too much 'gee I don't know if Wolverine being a woman is actually a problem but it seems like SOMETHING is with comic sales' so I just cut bait.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Skwirl posted:

Like, I watched a lot of Marvel films with my family for the first time when they came out and Captain Marvel was easily the one my mom was most excited about afterwards. Most of what I look forward to about the sequel is watching it with my mom, I don't give a poo poo about the actual film.

This. My blond then 4 year old freaked the gently caress out that there was a superhero that looked just like her, and I want everybody to get that feeling, even if the movie isn't for me.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
sigh...

https://twitter.com/brielarson/status/1489655405084954625

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Twitter NFT avatars are hexagonal to differentiate from "ripoffs", aren't they?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I think you have to have them on a specific service and also tied into your twitter through account linking, so I can see a celeb just not going to the hassle.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is apparently part of the typical 'ad agency buys things actresses can shill' that's been going on for ages but it's... NFTs which is a whole lot worse than somebody randomly talking about how they like their new Puma sneakers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have lived decades without knowing what an NFT is and I hope to die the same.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I have lived decades without knowing what an NFT is and I hope to die the same.

It's a receipt that says you spent a month's worth of electricity for an American household + several thousand dollars + however much you paid as the price and got a hyperlink.

Seriously, that's what they are. That's not a joke.

Now you too are damned with this knowledge and there is no going back.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They are by far the stupidest snake oil scam I've ever seen and my last President was Donald Trump

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone is going to lose everything because of investing in crypto, snap and murder Matt Damon.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rhyno posted:

Someone is going to lose everything because of investing in crypto, snap and murder Matt Damon.
We can make a movie out of it and call it Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The United States posted:

Kevin Smith already did that.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The United States posted:

Scotty Doesn't Hodl

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
You’d think Matt Damon would come up with something better after his daughter revealed he uses slurs around the house.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hadji murad posted:

You’d think Matt Damon would come up with something better after his daughter revealed he uses slurs around the house.

I mean, he was good in The Last Duel.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jordan7hm posted:

earl grey. A Scandinavian man talks about European comics he loves. Endearingly low effort setup.

I can second this guy, I just commented on his video on Blueberry from a year ago and he responded! What a nice fella.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For anyone actually interested in learning why NFTs are terrible there's a two hour long video by Dan Olson which gives a good rundown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Jordan7hm posted:

I keep meaning to make a thread but whatever it fits here I guess.

These are the channels I bother with.

Cartoonist Kayfabe (not perfect and way too willing to forgive people who are horrible humans if they make good art, but generally on the right side of things).

Alex Toth in Depth. All he cares about is Alex toth. Might be bad but I haven’t seen anything like so far.

Elsa Charretier. A French artist who does breakdowns of her process. Really incredible to watch.

For the Love of Comics. A really positive dude from India who just posts videos about his comics. He had a couple vids with his wife talking about sandman that I liked a lot.

Strip Panel Naked. Breakdowns of comics. By the guy who does the PanelxPanel magazine. Just solid analysis of techniques used by artists and storytellers in the craft of comics.

Kirby Continuum. Just Kirby, all the time.

Archipel. A Japanese documentary series that sometimes touches on manga.

Hey thanks, these are pretty neat.

e: Would definitely like a comics YouTube thread, even though there's definitely a lot of overlap with this thread

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Huh. I guess I never unsubscribed from Warren Ellis's newsletter. I just got an update from him, which pointed to the So Many of Us website:

https://www.somanyofus.com/updates#january-31-2022

Not entirely sure what to make of that, aside from that there's apparently a dialogue at work there.

No word about Ellis's current or future projects, but apparently he started raising rescue chickens at some point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Huh. I guess I never unsubscribed from Warren Ellis's newsletter. I just got an update from him, which pointed to the So Many of Us website:

https://www.somanyofus.com/updates#january-31-2022

Not entirely sure what to make of that, aside from that there's apparently a dialogue at work there.

No word about Ellis's current or future projects, but apparently he started raising rescue chickens at some point.

I feel like before the accusations he'd mentioned chickens before in a newsletter or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Was Action Lab talked about in this thread before?

https://www.classaction.org/blog/comic-creators-file-lawsuit-saying-action-lab-entertainment-contracts-should-be-null-and-void

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1491455736706400258

It is pretty funny That Star Wars Girl can't even get a calendar out on time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For all the jokes about Goon Projects, one guy in the YOSPOS cat thread has organized, commissioned, printed, and delivered calendars every year for the past three years or more without a problem. IDK what That Star Wars Girl is doing, but it can't be any harder than actually commissioning original art unless it's drawing poo poo herself.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/SavageSmallwood/status/1491463477952663554

Great job there Yoshida-san

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

For all the jokes about Goon Projects, one guy in the YOSPOS cat thread has organized, commissioned, printed, and delivered calendars every year for the past three years or more without a problem. IDK what That Star Wars Girl is doing, but it can't be any harder than actually commissioning original art unless it's drawing poo poo herself.

This is the first I've heard about the calander thing, but my guess would be that she's literally doing nothing, just took the money and ran. Or the people she commissioned aren't doing anything. I could get a custom calander printed today if I have the pictures and I could get thousands within a week or two.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ok i'm having a really hard time even spotting the difference on the second example :
https://twitter.com/SavageSmallwood/status/1491463712452001799?s=20&t=h4P4u2AwTJNKLB-gonCK5A

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the eyes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The differences are so little for most of them I just think "Why?" The only one I vaguely understand the thinking on is the adding more hair on was the covering up nudity, but the book is "Elektra: Red, White and Blood" so it's not like it's a book for kids and there's worse in books that are hypothetically for kids.

Like, if I'm letting my kid get a book called that, I'm going to be okay with them seeing this panel

https://twitter.com/SavageSmallwood/status/1491464493913812997?s=20&t=ivI7nxZFTuJedM4q0DvxKQ

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wrong thread!

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 9, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That is good art, but why are you posting it in this, the industry terribleness/comicsgate thread?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

My bad! I wasn't paying enough attention and thought this was the good art/bad art thread.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This thread feels like it adds some insight to the Marvel art edit thing:

https://twitter.com/Trungles/status/1491476732658003969

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really feel like the art changes really change the monolid depiction though. It just makes the pupils obvious and like why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

I don't really feel like the art changes really change the monolid depiction though. It just makes the pupils obvious and like why?

Now you can actually see the eyes instead of it looking like a solid squint. I get why they did it but it definitely comes off as "well meaning but pointless", it obviously wasn't intended as some kind of racist caricature or anything.