Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know if I could go back to BEXCE now after BTA, if only because of how mundane and repetetive the loot tables are. I appreciate the idea of them, but the fun of the bigger mods is the variety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know if I could go back to BEXCE now after BTA, if only because of how mundane and repetetive the loot tables are. I appreciate the idea of them, but the fun of the bigger mods is the variety

It definitely suffers for putting lore accuracy over fun. But hey, it has modes for UAC and LBX now, neat.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Roger Tech update - played with the "Save as"/"Restore as" a bit. Tried saving different loadouts, but it didn't seem to do so - when I went to restore, it only game me the default - and the default for the variant of that chassis. (Even though they were *CLASSIFIED* on the wiki, so that's one way to find how something built, if you have a compatible variant.)

To restore, you have to strip all equipment from the mech, and repair if needed. Then you can restore to whatever template you choose; it'll try to populate everything from your storage, and give you an alert if you're missing things. You can then fiddle with the build as desired, before validating/confirming as usual - but you're rebuilding from a bare (with armor) frame, and thus paying the whole nut for time/mechtech/money - no "swap-out-the-laser-air-combat-bits-to-melee-bits" 3-day job on the Screamer. :smith:

However, it's a Kmission thing, still being developed, so I should think that saving/restoring custom builds will eventually happen; quick/cheaper "change only what's different" restores? :iiam:

Kinda want to load up an Urbanmech to see what-all silliness is included - I have everything but the 40k flashpoint and nukes turned on, so I'm sure there's some weird/neat/dangerous classified builds in there...

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

RBA Starblade posted:

Us, but in the FUUUUTURE posted:

I don't know if I could go back to BTA now after RT, if only because of how mundane and repetitive the loot tables are. I appreciate the idea of them, but the fun of the bigger mods is the variety

:negative:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Post-The Raid update: Awesome flashpoint that absolutely kicked my butt. I stuck with the mission objective and, even with a stable of Clan mechs, came close to losing a couple pilots. Lost a 10/10/10/10 pilot when her Mad Cat-S got cored out. Lost Black Market access for over a year, totally worth it.

And then I tried to install Bigger Drops and Mission Control and broke my game. :suicide:

So I did a clean install and decided to try BTA3062. Holy crap, it's like a completely different game. First encounter with mech mortars: "I wonder what those do..." :supaburn: I wasn't expecting heavies and assault mechs on two skull missions, but I managed to salvage a Nightstar early on.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

Post-The Raid update: Awesome flashpoint that absolutely kicked my butt. I stuck with the mission objective and, even with a stable of Clan mechs, came close to losing a couple pilots. Lost a 10/10/10/10 pilot when her Mad Cat-S got cored out. Lost Black Market access for over a year, totally worth it.

Thanks for playing my FP! Glad to see it holds up across mod packs.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
So, I got around to building out the Clan Atlas "Obsidian Skull" - Legendary, only got it via headshot, pretty mean as stock. My build... wasn't.

While it worked on the initial duel (Duncan Fisher decapitated Killbox's Wolverine - no healing factor *there*), it was pointed out that the build was kinda scattered. Suggestions were made. Suggestions were followed.

The result (check the Punch damage.)

(Not shown - 1085 Charge damage.)

I think this is going to be a duellist - the chances of blowing up components (Supercharger and Hotseat Cockpit) mean I can't constantly keep up the speed, and it doesn't have poo poo for ranged weapons.

Of course, with everything turned on, at melee range it *is* ranged weapon. :black101:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
They turned core meltdowns back on so watch out if you're going to be critting engines from melee range.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

CompeAnansi posted:

They turned core meltdowns back on so watch out if you're going to be critting engines from melee range.

Guess we'll see.

SEE THE LIGHT BRIGHTER THAN A THOUSAND SUNS! :black101:

Spent some transit time (95 days travel lol) last night, reassembling stuff I had enough parts for, and fitting out the new Marauder II 4H as a headhunter. 4x Clan ERPPC, 19 battle computers (because I didn't have any more non-dupe ones), recoil-dampening upper arms and weapon-accuracy lowers, and nearly everything else is heatsinks. 20 points short of max armor, which will be needed as to meet tonnage, it's got a core 100. On a 100-ton mech. :suicide: I need to compare to my Bounty Hunter Mad-IIs and see how I did it there, maybe it's the arm components eating slots or something...

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I just got this and got sucked into the campaign

The presentation and art on this, from the intro to the music to the cutscenes is outstanding.

The game is fun and I'm enjoying it but just the whole just brings everything to another level

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Alctel posted:

I just got this and got sucked into the campaign

The presentation and art on this, from the intro to the music to the cutscenes is outstanding.

The game is fun and I'm enjoying it but just the whole just brings everything to another level

Wait until you try the mods, battletech advanced is great if you love the TT where roguetech just adds way more crazy poo poo but isn't lore friendly.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Arghy posted:

Wait until you try the mods, battletech advanced is great if you love the TT where roguetech just adds way more crazy poo poo but isn't lore friendly.

Do we have a write-up about the two mods somewhere? I really cannot stand waiting for Battletech 2 any longer. :v:

WTF is HBS doing anyway with their sweet Microsoft money?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looks like they're porting Shadowrun to the Switch, and otherwise hiring producers and devs to work on a number of unannounced projects.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just picked this up again, and am stymied by a really annoying bug that wasn't there when I played years ago:

Every time I try to refit a mech, when I move a component from the list onto the mech, the entire game freezes. Like, I can move the cursor around, but nothing responds until I just terminate the process and play something that isn't broken.

Is this a known issue, and can I hotfix or modfix it somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Tias posted:

I just picked this up again, and am stymied by a really annoying bug that wasn't there when I played years ago:

Every time I try to refit a mech, when I move a component from the list onto the mech, the entire game freezes. Like, I can move the cursor around, but nothing responds until I just terminate the process and play something that isn't broken.

Is this a known issue, and can I hotfix or modfix it somehow?

Thanks in advance!

I'd check the integrity of the files. I don't get anything like this, and never have.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Do we have a write-up about the two mods somewhere? I really cannot stand waiting for Battletech 2 any longer. :v:

BTA moves the time line to the clan invasion and allows you all the joy that comes with it like swapping engines, heat sink types, and armor. You have omni mechs, battle armor, and you can actually bring tracked vehicles. The missions have gotten bigger and there's more variety so you'll actually want to drop 4 vehicles, and 8 mechs. They also added a ton of new mechs too so the variety is huge to the point you need a really good rig to run it or face crippling lag when opening your storage bay hahaha.

If you enjoyed the lore and TT BTA is the mod for you. I tried roguetech back in the day and it had like 30 loving overlays for the first few starting mechs it was insane--you'll have to get someone else to endorse that it definitely wasn't my cup of tea haha.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

This is a good guide https://old.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/edte91/so_you_want_to_install_a_modpack_a_guide_to_chose/

I don't think it's worth jumping straight from vanilla to RogueTech. Try out Battletech Extended or Battletech Advanced first. I think I played Battletech Extended a few years ago, it was sort of close to vanilla. I'm a few hours into a RogueTech campaign and it's cool how much stuff is in the game now, but it's also much slower to get things going.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I'm the RogueTech goon, it seems, or at least the one that shitposts the most. :v: Roger Tech does add every possible thing, which will make your CPU go YIPE YIPE YIPE and hide under the couch, and (from what I understand) it's meant to follow tabletop mechanics as much as possible.

RT is *also* made by a bunch of the same devs that made some of the other big mods, and you'll see new things that start in BTA, for example, make their way into RT. (Battle Armor has been modified recently, and will kick you poo poo in if you're not careful.) Vehicle charges are now a Thing. Stackpoling (smack the engine/core hard enough it goes FOOOM) has also been re-enabled, so watch those melee/close-range attacks, yo.

Locust

Sentinel

A lot of the additions in hardware (mechs/vehicles/gear) are also optional - sticking with the default-era stuff (and not adding unique/legendary/upgraded/experimental goodies) will make the early game... not *easy*, but easier than encountering RISC and secret Comstar/Word of Blake/Society poo poo right off the bat. (My current playthrough, I ran for quite a while on the base-era and some of the specials, then turned on almost everything all at once. Ow.)

But yeah, it's harder. (It's not called ROGUETech because it sounds cool.) Mech parts (whether battlefield loot or store-bought) are *salvage*, and reassembling does not give you a fully-equipped pristine robbit - and fixing it up (or customizing) will take time, components and money. Oh, and some good Mechtech points - high points *there* means recovering components or repairing what's all beat to poo poo is possible - which is nice if the wreckage used to have something sweet, like a railgun. :getin:

Pilot skills are important, especially early on, and you'll want to upgrade your sensors and fire-control as soon as possible - electronic warfare is *massively* changed from vanilla. The skills themselves have been changes as well - Ace Pilot and Multi-Targeting are no longer skills, but gear- or mech-quirk-based.

Remember when I said it was harder? Difficulty levels.

Some missions will be harder than the listed skull level - some will throw in extra enemies just because of the mission type. (Assassinations, Defend Baase, Attack & Defend.) And dropping 5 (green) skulls of force into a 1 (green) skull mission will make supporting forces and reinforcements highly likely, if not guaranteed.

There's also an optional *online* component - RogueWar is a persistent-universe multiplayer.. uh, *war*. Not PvP - you go ahead and play as normal vs AI enemies, and when your rep is high enough, you can ally with a faction; doing so lets you get special buffs (and debuffs) from your faction, and (depending on how many other players are in the faction) you can get bonus lootboxes or just buy loot that no one picked from their battles, at the faction store. Info on this here - don't actually play it, myself.

You can get some idea off RT from veg'ing out on YubTub - Baradul, Dextor and Indibil are all dropping updates pretty regularly, as well as having a bunch of older videos. (Baradul was also doing BTA, I think, up until a recent switch back to RT.) Tex of the Black Pants Legion was also doing RT for a while, but he was certainly less focused on the game, so it's another Tex video. :lol: There's videos for all the other big mods as well, but I don't watch those, for the most part.

All in all, I've had a great deal of fun in RogueTech, but for sure it's not for everyone.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Battletech is a great game and I need to play more of it. I’m on an XCOM kick right now so maybe lll install it this evening.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Thanks a lot. guys! :tipshat:

Think I will give BTA a try.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Oh poo poo, *major* Battle Armor update for RogueTech.

Lady Alekto posted:

Added StrategicOperations Mod
- Major Battle Armor rework to bring them closer to TT values, you will need to store/ready all BAs for them to function properly. You also need to store/ready every vehicle you have that say it has BA bays in description.
- Battle Armors now can mount friendly units and swarm enemies. Complete explanation can be read here https://github.com/ajkroeg/StrategicOperations
-- Use Mount ability targeting friendly unit to mount. To dismount use Mount ability targeting the unit BA is attached to. Any BA can mount vehicles with BA bays (this is noted in vehicle description). Most BA can mount Omnimechs. Some BA can mount any friendly unit except VTOLs and LAMs.
-- Use Mount ability targeting enemy unit to swarm. If swarm is successful BA will attach to target and fire all its enabled weapons at absolute accuracy and with 20% damage bonus. On the following turn use "Done" button to continue swarming, or Mount ability targeting swarmed unit to dismount. VTOLs and LAMs can't be swarmed.
-- BAs attached externally to a unit regardless friendly or hostile has 33% chance to be hit by shots hitting location BA is attached to.
-- You can use Swat and Roll (self knockdown) abilities to try to get rid of swarming BAs.
- Battle Armors can no longer run (have run speed equal to walk speed) or perform DFA (DFA on BAs was always a proxy for swarm)
- AI units have a chance to spawn with BA attached to them. Chance and maximum number of BAs that can spawn is faction dependent and raise with difficulty. For specifics see https://roguetech.fandom.com/wiki/BattleArmor_Spawn_Pools

I guess I shouldn't chase down BA and punch them into metal-studded paste with the Obsidian Skull, now. Did that in a Gladiator fight the other night...

Hmmm. I can airdrop BA from my LAMs? LOL. Assassination brutality level increasing...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
So, Roger Tech has these "Limited Gladiator" flashpoints, which are just fights for a moderate payout in cash and a lootbox, plus whatever you set for pay/loot, just like any other mission. (I understand this was created before the actual Solaris 7 gameworlds/missions came about.)

They come in Easy, Medium and Hard difficulties, and are usually-but-not-always 1 vs 1 fights. (I do recall a couple or three three-way fights, and those were full-lance drops; more importantly, sometimes it's your one mech vs cheaters - they might bring multliple mechs/vehicles, or the stealth-Urbie "camera mechs" mayu join in against you.) There's also Divisional fights for a difficulty tier, which are harder; not sure if they go higher or not, but winning a Divisional might just increase difficulty for later fights of the same tier.

Because I took a Medium difficulty one last night. My single mech was the Obsidian Skull, at one green skull (difficulty 2).

To a fight showing as 1 orange skull (difficulty 12). :ohdear:

Enemies *all* had initiative on me. But how bad could that be?

It's a No-Dachi.

Wait, it's two Nio-Dachis.

Nevermind, it's *three* No-Dachis.

Who need bodyguards.

Just a Firestarter.

And a Grasshopper - Mjolnir.

Also, it's in fairly heavy fog, which just makes it harder for me (as the mouse-handler) to see what's going on, oh well.

Immediately take some plasma and missiles right from the spawn, so I take advantage of the gazelle-like speed of the Skull to dodge behind buildings and head off to take out the bodyguards. Get to that flank, soak a few hits from Mjolnir while plinking at the Firestarter with the Combat Shotgun and explosive NARC rounds, until I was set up to go smash.

Mjolnir came down from the rooftops and tried a point-blank back shot after I splattered the smaller mech, but didn't do a lot. However, this left him standing there for my Mighty Punch, so two down.

The three No-Dachi kept milling around in the lower section of the map, and after a quick attempt to go maul one (too far for even a boosted charge), I ran back up to the streets, trying to kite them up one at a time - or at least force some separation so I wasn't eating *three* alphas at a time.

This did work, as one came wandering up the ramp near my original spawn, and I charged down to pu8nch his head clean off. (And follwoed up with shotgun/NARC/Hammerfist, for extra overkill. :fuckoff:)

The other two managed to split up, with the one I'd originally went for hiding by that ramp with no LOS. The other one came close enough that I bolted after him, only taking two alphas (thank you extra armor) before doing a 1000-point headbutt for the kill.

This drew the survivor out, and we dodged between buildings as I closed - and had one chance.

Charge.

55% chance.

gently caress IT :black101:

I did charge the back, just to put mine to a building for protection in case I missed.

I didn't miss. :smug:

(I'm absolutely amazed that nobody stackpoled yet from Hulk Smash! melee. )

After picks and allocation, I came out with the surviving Grasshopper and Firestarter parts, and 3 of the 5 No-Dachi scraps. Plus some moderate components.

Payday! $300k.

Lootbox! :wtf: Three items, nothing worth keeping, either for being Not Good or because I already had a good supply. Oh well.

And that's where I saved and quit, because it was already one AM. next, if travel time permits, is a Planetary Defense (replaying original vanilla storyline missions with all the new gear, essentially - I think this is the "blow up the tunnels then defend the main production facility" one) and unless some other flashpoint pops, I'm heading off for an anti-Clan FP; want to say this is blowing up a supply base or something, already blew up a Clan recon mission in the same area.

I do need to start hitting non-flashpoint planets, because there's Superheavies I haven't found yet...

Tias
May 25, 2008

So, relatively new player here, and.. is the game supposed to be so hard, mech for mech count? I've only just completed the second main quest mission, and my heaviest mech is (not exactly robust) Jagermech at 65 tons, otherwise my solid core largely consists of the Shadowhawk, Centurion and similar medium mechs.

Here's a common single skull I took: Repossession, with two Orions, a Hunckback and a screening Panther. Before reinforcements of 3 more medium mechs.

How the hell am I supposed to win these? Even using my most experienced mechwarriors these incur losses, and I don't think the diffuculty curve is supposed to be this steep.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Are you using any mods? If not, you were hit by a bug or are misremembering something. Unless I've misunderstood how the campaign tweaks difficulty, it should only be possible for Repossession to spawn with a single skull if the difficulty is set to easy (which doesn't actually make the game much easier) and then only rarely. All of the units in the first lance have the vehicle tag, so there shouldn't be any mechs in it, either, and although it is stronger than a typical lance for the contract's skull rating, a Heavy/Heavy/Medium/Light lance sounds like difficulty 6, which you should only be seeing if the contract had two skulls.

The game can be tricky for new players until you figure it out, and it does expect you to routinely beat enemies forces that outweigh and outnumber you, all the while suffering minimal attrition. Learning how to build your mechs well and take advantage of the initiative system goes a long way.

Edit: It just occurred to me that there's an Ambush Convoy contract that's also called "Repossession", which should spawn with a single skull pretty often. At one skull, though, it should just be a lance of weak vehicles with a very unimpressive escort (certainly no Orions), with all of them having half as much armor as usual.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 21, 2022

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

This is a good guide https://old.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/edte91/so_you_want_to_install_a_modpack_a_guide_to_chose/

I don't think it's worth jumping straight from vanilla to RogueTech. Try out Battletech Extended or Battletech Advanced first. I think I played Battletech Extended a few years ago, it was sort of close to vanilla. I'm a few hours into a RogueTech campaign and it's cool how much stuff is in the game now, but it's also much slower to get things going.

It's been updated (the guide you linked was 2 years old). Notably this one has correct links since all the modders threw a fit about Nexusmods.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/n8ulki/an_updated_overview_of_major_mods_for_hbs/

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tias posted:

So, relatively new player here, and.. is the game supposed to be so hard, mech for mech count? I've only just completed the second main quest mission, and my heaviest mech is (not exactly robust) Jagermech at 65 tons, otherwise my solid core largely consists of the Shadowhawk, Centurion and similar medium mechs.

Here's a common single skull I took: Repossession, with two Orions, a Hunckback and a screening Panther. Before reinforcements of 3 more medium mechs.

How the hell am I supposed to win these? Even using my most experienced mechwarriors these incur losses, and I don't think the diffuculty curve is supposed to be this steep.

If you are playing the base game with no mods, one thing to note is that the global difficulty level only goes up when you complete main story missions. You can do as much side questing as you want in between them.

If you're finding the game difficult in general, then odds are you might be using Mech builds that aren't too hot. Battletech, for better or worse, is a system where it's pretty easy to make something that is just an absolute dog of a build, and some entire mechs are just barely salvageable. So I'd suggest posting what you're using so we can take a look and offer some pointers.

The last thing to note is that this game critically relies on controlling initiative (Reserving your move to act after an enemy), and picking the correct spots to position your units to take advantage of side shots, while not offering your own sides to be hit in return. Hitting a unit from the side focuses all your firepower much more effectively than hitting the front does, so you're far more likely to cripple an enemy by taking off an arm, leg, or side torso.

Tias
May 25, 2008

All solid advice, thanks! I always was bad at mechbuilding, and thought I could scrape by, by using standard loadouts and hot repairs with kinda-sorta the same loadouts. Also, I don't think I've thought about the initiative phase at all before now :eng99:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I've been using standard loadouts and it's been going on, the trick is to position yourself so you only engage one enemy at a time with multiple of yours

Also lots of use of sensor lock

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Lum_ posted:

It's been updated (the guide you linked was 2 years old). Notably this one has correct links since all the modders threw a fit about Nexusmods.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/n8ulki/an_updated_overview_of_major_mods_for_hbs/

Oh, hay, thanks! :hfive:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Alctel posted:

I've been using standard loadouts and it's been going on, the trick is to position yourself so you only engage one enemy at a time with multiple of yours

Also lots of use of sensor lock

Sensor lock is... "Ok" early game, but it's not very good. Most of your pilots should be built with bulwark at a minimum, and they can branch out from there. Bulwark and coolant vent are just too insanely powerful.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Playing BTA now. Love it, but it kicks my rear end. I think I have lost more mechs in the first three missions than in two full playthroughs of vanilla. :v:

Say, what makes more money in BTA, selling looted mechs in parts or collecting a full set, assemble it and sell it as a "complete" mech?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Selling a full mech will always be more money because it comes with free weapons and mods so you can either strip those and use them or sell them also.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yup - even RogueTech's "reassemble battlefield salvage to repair/refit" will give you some parts to keep or sell, if your mechtech level is high enough. I'm running mechtech 60 (fully-upgraded Argo, most of my pilots have 1-1.5 mechtech, some have 2) and sometimes I get 80-90% of a mech needing minor repairs and some replacement of parts and gear.

Of course, RNGesus has a big vote and sometime I get half an arm with 2 medium lasers that need repair. :ohdear: As long as I'm not trying to kitbash one robbit together from three different variants, it's even free reassembly... and should it be trashed or a mech I don't care about, I can strip anything worthwhile and scrap the rest immediately for cash.

Now, if only I could strip equipment from reassembled vehicles before selling/scrapping...

Good news, though - finally encountered a Goliath 80-ton quad in a mission where there *wasn't* salvage I needed/wanted more, so now I have this big goony thing. Bad news is, I can't fit the railguns I have into it. :(

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
Makes sense. Thanks! :tipshat:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Arghy posted:

Selling a full mech will always be more money because it comes with free weapons and mods so you can either strip those and use them or sell them also.

This depends on your game settings, but yes if you’re playing with equipped mechs it is hands down more money. Cores and some other components do vendor pretty well in BTA too though, and I think completed mechs have cores regardless of your other settings.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, got my rear end RgueTech'd pretty good recently.

Took a trip off into Davion Country to do "Braying of the Hounds", a three-mission flashpoint for Morgan Kell. Turned out to be lunar biome, so my multi-PPC Marauder IIs were kind of unhappy, but I finished it and looked at the local contracts...

Air Show.

Howl of the Beast II (superheavy, starring Raczilla).

Peer Review (superheavy tanks).

Obviously, I did Air Show first, and savaged the enemies as usual. Decided on Howl next, and brought one orange skull of mechs to a one orange skull fight. (Difficulty 12.) And while it wasn't a stomping like the Air Show, I ran the table without too much difficulty - big bois were a superheavy tank, Object 404, and another Raczilla. "Hmm, sensors say it's got RAC/20s, so I have the range on 'em, I'm safe. Dunno what the third ballistic is, how bad could it be?"

Kinda bad. And I *was* in range. :aaaaa:

Tank time! Five green skulls for Difficulty 10! Kill the tracks, kill the base, party time!

:suicide:

First off, it was a medium-small map, and enemy was detected on spawn, so there's that. Second, the base had a Long Tom turret every time.

And big tanks.

*Every* attempt had a pair of 190-ton Gulltopprs, one being the Prime with arty. Others included LRM beasts and a mortarboat.

Guest stars, on various attempts, included a Paladin (twice), Parti-Kill, Oliphant, a pair of LBX/20 Carriers and a pair of Vachir Qurchis.Plus the odd Thumper carrier and a pair of heavy mortarboats.

Now I know what the enemy feels like when I show up.

And then there's the other support mechs/vehicles, and the turrets... last attempt, I never spotted them but saw listed in the combat log a Heavy RAC/20 and a Railgun turret. :ohdear:

Needless to say, after four failures, I gave up and did something simpler, like a city fight against local .gov. My Difficulty 12 stack against Difficulty 16, but no superheavies.

Just the enemy lance.

A support lance.

A *second* support lance.

*whew* Doable, rig-

And a reinforcement lance.

:argh:

That took longer, being 8 vs 16 and the lightest thing Enemy brought was a sneaky-but-good 60-tonner.

And Battle Armor.

Lil' chibi Marauders.

And yet, despite a shitload of incoming missiles and dodging between buildings for medium-range shots on waaay too many enemies at one time, not to mention overheating randomly because of BT's bug with exploding generators (can affect random mechs, even well out of range or otherwise not involved in the destruction) and exploding six Prototype heatsinks from overheat, it was a cakewalk compared to Peer Review.

Might revisit PR if I build out multiple railgun mechs.

Or activate nukes. :getin:

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 1, 2022

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Had a mission, down to the last enemy mech. Had all his weapons blown off and the mission complete, he charges my full health king crab and ninja kicks it hitting and destroying the cockpit and instantly killing my max skilled mech warrior :(

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
The SH missions with tanks are the best ever. The parts are worth so much cash. I reroll my SH missions until I get a random SH tank to spawn. You get 20 million cbills for selling a completed SH tank. Still haven't gotten the Peer Review mission to spawn yet, but I'm gonna have to track it down. If you're having trouble with SH missions start spamming double longtom KGCs.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

CompeAnansi posted:

The SH missions with tanks are the best ever. The parts are worth so much cash. I reroll my SH missions until I get a random SH tank to spawn. You get 20 million cbills for selling a completed SH tank. Still haven't gotten the Peer Review mission to spawn yet, but I'm gonna have to track it down. If you're having trouble with SH missions start spamming double longtom KGCs.

Mt LT is stuck in a Helepolis, and while I have dual-ballistic platforms that'll haul a pair, I honestly don't have enough ammo to feed two. (I also max armor as best I can, between counterbattery and OH poo poo SHARED SPAWN and having to kick enemies to death on the first turn.)

Anyway, I finally made a video of the Obsidian Skull casually exterminating a Zeus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZP6fzGs_tE

Probably should have closed all the way in on the shooting round, as the Hammer Fist has 40 meter range, but <shrug>. Kinda think of swapping the explodey NARC ammo for Haywire, to screw with sensors/aim/heat/movement, or just swapping to a TAG outright. (Comedy option: TAG Arrow IV.)

(Not giving up the AMS because mass-missile-spam mechs exist. Also hand-held Katyusha, which I *really* want for obnoxious reasons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Ygolonac posted:

Mt LT is stuck in a Helepolis, and while I have dual-ballistic platforms that'll haul a pair, I honestly don't have enough ammo to feed two. (I also max armor as best I can, between counterbattery and OH poo poo SHARED SPAWN and having to kick enemies to death on the first turn.)

Here is the basic build I use for my artillery:

Although recently I dropped 1 heatsink for an extra box of normal ammo for the SH missions where things go past 10 rounds.

I run two of them and might build a 3rd. I find having 3-4 indirect mechs + 4 jumpy mechs gives me long reach, fast clear speeds, and low repairs. The only direct mech without JJs that I occasionally run is my railgun hyperion.