Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Lol truth. We’re basically doing the daily sacrifice thing they have in Warhammer as well, which is presented as barbaric of course.

Yuuuuup

Translators note: America has been sacrificing ~3k ppl a day in January

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hell yeah my boss just bought us all Rocky’s for lunch, I’m gonna destroys this super slice

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
RIP your b-hole

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Rocky’s is good as hell

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm doing some training at a different company office this week and within a 5 minute walk of the office there are at least: 2 cafes, 2 bakeries, 2 grocery stores, 2 Mediterranean places, the local burger chain, 4 Mexican restaurants, an Indian place, 2 Thai places, a Korean spot, a Japanese spot, and...a Starbucks :lol:

The lunch hour is just an incredible amount of options, it kicks rear end. There's really only a by-the-slice pizza place missing.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The last time I worked regularly in an office I was hype because there was a mall right across the street. Then I found out it was dying and most of the stores and all of the restaurants (except a Dave and Busters) had already closed :whitewater:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

We have a Starbucks in our building (hasn’t been open since I started post-pandemic early 2020) and a full service cafeteria that’s been closed as well but just started operating in a limited capacity with pre-made options. This week they had Cubanos, pork burritos/bowls, and wings. I didn’t have any of them so idk if it’s good or terrible

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Manoueverable posted:

I'm doing some training at a different company office this week and within a 5 minute walk of the office there are at least: 2 cafes, 2 bakeries, 2 grocery stores, 2 Mediterranean places, the local burger chain, 4 Mexican restaurants, an Indian place, 2 Thai places, a Korean spot, a Japanese spot, and...a Starbucks :lol:

The lunch hour is just an incredible amount of options, it kicks rear end. There's really only a by-the-slice pizza place missing.

I don't think there are that many restaurants/stores in a 20 min radius of my house. I cook so much because there's nowhere to eat around here.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pron on VHS posted:

Despite being a huge fan of the books I have no interest in Reacher the TV show. I suppose it’s because Lee Child’s writing style is central to my love of the books and of course the show won’t have that

Pron on VHS posted:

What I mean is I like Lee Child’s short choppy sentences and no-fluff style of writing. The show just looks like a generic action thing. My favorite Reacher book is Tripwire

I found it to be pretty true to the books in the portrayal of Reacher. The show reminds me of - I guess an updated 90s action movie. He still has the little wise cracks from the books, he's still smart and observational, fights like a threshing machine but the side characters are really solid too. It leans into the books pretty hard and I'm really enjoying it. I'd kinda say watch the first twenty minutes and if you're not sold don't bother but its been really good after watching the massively middling season of Boba Fett and Marvel shows that are just full of crappy filler and badly choreographed fights.

The eps go for almost an hour at a crack but to me anyway I don't feel like anything overly drags or navel gazes, every scene moves the plot along pretty well and even though there's a few flashbacks to his childhood they're short and well done and don't put a handbrake on the show like a lot of flashbacks tend to do.

It's also not grimdark and the violence isn't overdone but is sufficiently brutal when it needs to be. I'll stan hard for this show, best new series I've watched in a while.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’ll have to give Reacher a go just for Alan Ritchson, he’s a low key fun actor even if he’ll never be anything other than Thad Castle in my heart

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

I’ll have to give Reacher a go just for Alan Ritchson, he’s a low key fun actor even if he’ll never be anything other than Thad Castle in my heart

He did do one thad thing at one point that made me laugh but he carries the role better than I thought he would. He's also somehow - bigger than he was as thad castle. Dude is massive.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Alright Blindsite you have convinced me to watch the show. The Reacher books are so excellent that it’s worth the time.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
900k dead Americans due to COVID USA number one baybeeeeeee

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Hot Diggity! posted:

900k dead Americans due to COVID USA number one baybeeeeeee

One exciting thing about the eventual end of the pandemic is the research that's going to dig into the real death count of the plague and our response. I'm betting on another full year, which lands us somewhere around 5 million deaths over replacement.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I wish I had a Starbucks inside my house but I have to settle for the two that are a block away in either direction :sigh:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I wish I had a Starbucks inside my house but I have to settle for the two that are a block away in either direction :sigh:

I share your pain. Imagine walking a block for my chai :negative:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'll never forget visiting my friend's parents' place in Lexington, MA where there were 2 Dunkin' Donuts three blocks from each other.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I used to be the director of marketing at a hotel in downtown Madison, Wisconsin, and we opened up a Starbucks location as part of our lobby and restaurant renovations. I'm not saying Starbucks is any great shakes or anything like that, but the employee discount was pretty great; being able to get a giant-sized vanilla latte at 7:15 a.m. for $1.25 was a godsend on days that I knew were going to be rough.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/candidethovex/status/1489289440468078592?s=21

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'll never forget visiting my friend's parents' place in Lexington, MA where there were 2 Dunkin' Donuts three blocks from each other.

Oh, you want some dunkin? There's a couple nearby

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Drone footage has made ski/snowboarding vids :krad:.

My brother-in-law recently got a drone and while he doesn't do any action-y stuff, I'm looking forward to see what can be done with it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

steep 2 looks great

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

One exciting thing about the eventual end of the pandemic is the research that's going to dig into the real death count of the plague and our response. I'm betting on another full year, which lands us somewhere around 5 million deaths over replacement.

That seems really high. I think the current estimates are adding like 200-300k more deaths, so roughly 1.2 million excess deaths.

2019 didn’t even have 3 million deaths total in the US. 5 million deaths over a 3 year period would mean over half the deaths were due to COVID, which won’t be anywhere close.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

See this should be an Olympic sport but instead we get, like, loving slaloms

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I don't know how pros just pop a dislocated digit back in place and keep going. This poo poo loving sucks

As long as I don't move it at all it's fine but getting through doing basic stuff is annoying, much less catching/throwing anything

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Bird in a Blender posted:

That seems really high. I think the current estimates are adding like 200-300k more deaths, so roughly 1.2 million excess deaths.

2019 didn’t even have 3 million deaths total in the US. 5 million deaths over a 3 year period would mean over half the deaths were due to COVID, which won’t be anywhere close.

I think you might underestimate how awful we are at counting things. Especially things we're incentivized to count poorly. 5 mil is a very high number, granted. What can I say? I believe in my country :911:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thinking about how right wing talking heads were chortling at how dumb you'd have to be to think over 200K people would die from COVID

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Freaquency posted:

See this should be an Olympic sport but instead we get, like, loving slaloms

Someone messes up on slalom they just dislocate a shoulder and fall

Someone messes up on this and it’s ends up on stileproject

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I mean at this point it’s pretty clear the government won’t do anything meaningful to stop Covid and capital actively spreads Covid.

Covid is only going away if the virus chooses suicide.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Ok, Reacher is fun, but it’s medical examiner Guillermo that really sold me

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone messes up on slalom they just dislocate a shoulder and fall

Someone messes up on this and it’s ends up on stileproject

I saw someone mention speed skiing earlier today and...whew was that ever a bad idea. Let's have someone go 150mph with boards strapped on their feet and absolutely no safety net and encourage them to go faster.

I'm sure it is one hell of a rush though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Intruder posted:

Thinking about how right wing talking heads were chortling at how dumb you'd have to be to think over 200K people would die from COVID

I think there were estimates in March 2020 that if we did absolutely nothing, about 2 million would die from COVID. There were definitely a lot of people scoffing at that number, but it definitely looks accurate now, maybe even under estimating.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think there were estimates in March 2020 that if we did absolutely nothing, about 2 million would die from COVID. There were definitely a lot of people scoffing at that number, but it definitely looks accurate now, maybe even under estimating.

They scoffed at 200K too very early on. Lots of "oh two thousand deaths? the flu kills 18K!"

T-Square
May 14, 2009

He should have board slid across the peak of that roof :colbert:

Someone mentioned Vox Machina in here a few days ago and I gotta say, it’s a pretty charming and enjoyable show to kill 30 minutes on. Watching today’s new episode and then I’m going to check out Reacher, and then some Olympics stuff.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Wow that's all?

The number of Dunkins in Massachusetts is insane. There are nine in my town of about 50k. :coffee:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

T-Square posted:

He should have board slid across the peak of that roof :colbert:

Someone mentioned Vox Machina in here a few days ago and I gotta say, it’s a pretty charming and enjoyable show to kill 30 minutes on. Watching today’s new episode and then I’m going to check out Reacher, and then some Olympics stuff.

That was me! I forgot a new episode came out today, thanks for the reminder

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
just finally getting around to watching the opening ceremony for the olympics and holy poo poo NBC is going so hard doing counter american propaganda for this poo poo.

the chinese are loving passing a flag and they're like "this is a traditional flag pass used to demonstrate diversity and inclusion among china's ethnic groups but as we know," and then launching into a diatribe about Uyghurs.

they loving prepped the whole opening ceremony with "this is going to have lots of state propaganda". i'd love to ever see that warning on any american broadcast.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pron on VHS posted:

Alright Blindsite you have convinced me to watch the show. The Reacher books are so excellent that it’s worth the time.

I'll be keen to hear what you think.

Also pizza / baking goons - I'm making a sheet pan pizza tomorrow, doing the 24 hour proofing method. I didn't realise I didn't have normal bread flour but wholewheat. Normally its a 75% hydration dough do I need to adjust my ratio at all or do anything different.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Love bringing home a friday fish fry and letting the dog fight my lemon wedge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

just finally getting around to watching the opening ceremony for the olympics and holy poo poo NBC is going so hard doing counter american propaganda for this poo poo.

the chinese are loving passing a flag and they're like "this is a traditional flag pass used to demonstrate diversity and inclusion among china's ethnic groups but as we know," and then launching into a diatribe about Uyghurs.

they loving prepped the whole opening ceremony with "this is going to have lots of state propaganda". i'd love to ever see that warning on any american broadcast.

Yeah, I got an outraged email newsletter from my senator decrying “The Olympics are not for propaganda!” and I was like lol what the gently caress you on bud?