Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Beachcomber posted:

How can you be best friends with a horse girl unless you are also a horse girl?

The horse girl is coming from inside the thread.

:clint: you better mosey on along now pardner. We don't take kindly to people asking questions 'round these parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

therobit posted:

AITA for being openly hostile towards my sister and telling on her thus potentially making her husband loose custody of his children?

Step Aunt saves the day.

tell me there's an age gap without telling me there's an age gap

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for how I reacted to my bf using a slur for Jewish people?

quote:

I 23F have been with my partner 25M for about a year now. A few nights ago we were at his place, hanging out with some friends. One of his friends asked my bf for money, my bf pointed out his friend hadn’t paid him back from the last time he loaned the friend money. They’re bickering (nothing serious) and then my bf yells ‘give me my money you f***ing k1ke!!’ And is laughing about it. I’m Jewish. Born and raised Jewish. So without really thinking I shout ‘HEY’ and the whole room goes silent. I ask my boyfriend what the gently caress he just said and he’s stammering telling me ‘oh I just meant money grubbing or mooch, I didn’t mean it like that’. I ask him why he said that word then instead of mooch. My bf tries brushing me off as his friends are staring at us and just says it’s synonymous. Suffice to say I tore him a new rear end in a top hat in front of his friends. My sisters are on my side and get where I’m coming from, my bf says that he didn’t use a ‘real’ slur and his friends say I embarrassed. Aita here for how I handled this?

quote:

I’ve been told pretty much my whole life by non Jewish people that anti Semitism isn’t real, that slurs don’t count as they’re not ‘racial’. I’ve never heard him use the term before, and I am the only Jewish person in the group so I was the only one having a strong reaction. Just kinda torn between am I overreacting or was it justified as my Jewish family members say I was justified, my non Jewish friends are telling me to chill out.

girl needs some gentile friends who arent anti-semites

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mx. posted:

Some gentle gentiles, so to speak.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Whoopi "it wasn't real rape rape" Goldberg just have some issues with this too?

Jesus is it really that hard not to use racist language?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mx. posted:

Uh that term is a slur first, like that’s it that’s the definition

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

teen witch posted:

Uh that term is a slur first, like that’s it that’s the definition

I think you'll find the real slur is anything that makes a white man self-conscious.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Breetai posted:

I think you'll find the real slur is anything that makes a white man self-conscious.

M*nch*ld

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only real slur is racist because it makes me feel bad when people say it. Words that make other people feel dehumanized aren't slurs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What's "fun" is how much people will try to bend over backwards to justify stuff like that and make it okay. It doesn't matter what possible etymology 'gyp' has or that you learned it as just a word despite some people intentionally being bigots, there are other perfectly fine words to use in its place. We lose nothing by not using it.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Listen all us goyim got together and decided that antisemitism isn't real and you should just chill out about it. (bans Maus in tennessee for unrelated reasons)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Didn't Whoopi "it wasn't real rape rape" Goldberg just have some issues with this too?

Whoopi said the Holocaust wasn't about race and apologized directly when called out on it, which is pretty :raise: but at least better than just tossing a slur out there.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Bruceski posted:

What's "fun" is how much people will try to bend over backwards to justify stuff like that and make it okay. It doesn't matter what possible etymology 'gyp' has or that you learned it as just a word despite some people intentionally being bigots, there are other perfectly fine words to use in its place. We lose nothing by not using it.

This isn't even that though, kike is a straight up no holds barred slur.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

How can you be best friends with a horse girl unless you are also a horse girl?

The horse girl is coming from inside the thread.

What if Seth Pecksniff is in face a horse?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Whoopi said the Holocaust wasn't about race and apologized directly when called out on it, which is pretty :raise: but at least better than just tossing a slur out there.

She attempted to clarify that to her it was about what you see, as in if she and a Jewish person are standing next to each other and the Klan starts marching towards them, she needs to run, not the Jewish person, because the Klan will assume the Jewish person is white. Her continued refrain was the Nazis didn't immediately KNOW who was Jewish and who wasn't just by looking, therefore it's not about race because race is what you see.

And I mean, she sort of vaguely has a point in that a lot of racism in the US is based or focused on skin color (not to say there isn't anti-Semitism obviously, see Charlottesville), but it's just a questionable at best point and outright dismissive at worst - the Nazis may not have been always able to know who was Jewish by looking but they drat sure did their best to find out, they absolutely saw it as a race thing, and she came off sounding like she was saying black people have it harder because racists can judge them immediately based on skin color.

edit: before anyone jumps down my throat I should clarify I in no way agree with anything she's saying kthx

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 5, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Horse girl in question seemed pretty reasonable in her time investment into a social hobby that also features a living, breathing animal with needs.
:shrug:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Can goons ever resist the bait of ranking slurs?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

Can goons ever resist the bait of ranking slurs?

Go on. Tell us your rankings.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

She attempted to clarify that to her it was about what you see, as in if she and a Jewish person are standing next to each other and the Klan starts marching towards them, she needs to run, not the Jewish person, because the Klan will assume the Jewish person is white. Her continued refrain was the Nazis didn't immediately KNOW who was Jewish and who wasn't just by looking, therefore it's not about race because race is what you see.

And I mean, she sort of vaguely has a point in that a lot of racism in the US is based or focused on skin color (not to say there isn't anti-Semitism obviously, see Charlottesville), but it's just a questionable at best point and outright dismissive at worst - the Nazis may not have been always able to know who was Jewish by looking but they drat sure did their best to find out, they absolutely saw it as a race thing, and she came off sounding like she was saying black people have it harder because racists can judge them immediately based on skin color.

edit: before anyone jumps down my throat I should clarify I in no way agree with anything she's saying kthx

It also seemed to be downplaying non-color based prejudice, which yeah is something North Americans tend to get confused about. Like the idea of "gee how could all these Yugoslavs try and genocide eachother! They all look the same!".

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Cythereal posted:

She's almost certainly 18 or 19 going by the post, and just escaped a lovely conservative hometown.

Extracting those brain worms takes a while.
You don't need that background. Women are taught so much to be nice to other people, and it takes time to get fed up with that. I have no idea how I escaped it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

WoodrowSkillson posted:

One of my buddies is friendly with his ex-wife and her new husband, to the point he invites that guy to our yearly golf weekend. The dude frankly kind of sucks as like a guy to hang out with, but he's a good dad to my buddie's kid, so he puts up with him in favor a more functional relationship, and it seems like it works really well. The kid gets to see her parents and both step parents get along, and that has to make poo poo so much easier for her.

i really can't stand that guy though lol

:goonsay: is goonsay, its supposed to look like a stereotypical gross goon commenting on something. the --(.)-(.) is the glasses

Is he a chud or something, or just boring?

Oh! So the other lines are the arms of his glasses and the circle is his mouth and it's a face. I had always thought it was a ticket and couldn't figure out how it mapped to goonsay. Thanks for the further explanation.

moonmazed posted:

got some bad news for you about victoria's secret

Do they let you return underwear?

Cowslips Warren posted:

You mean Whoopi "the Holocaust wasn't about race" Goldberg who appropriated a Jewish name to get auditions has bad opinions about Jewish people? With a feather you could knock me over.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

1. Boogerblaster
2. Fartsniffer
3. Human

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Invisible Clergy posted:

Is he a chud or something, or just boring?

He just grates on me. When I first met him, it was when we met up to load into 1 car to drive up north, he proceeded to take work calls, on speaker, for 2 hours straight

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Batterypowered7 posted:

1. Beefer
2. Codswallop
3. Dill Sac

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
How the hell do you use a slur and then turn around and say "oh didn't mean it like that!"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Seth Pecksniff posted:

How the hell do you use a slur and then turn around and say "oh didn't mean it like that!"

Pretty much like OP's boyfriend just did. It's a thing bad guys do:
1) They said [whatever slur you personally find offensive]
2) They are called on it by someone to whom the slur applies
3) The victim calls them racist
4) Well, "racists" are bad people. In the speaker's mind, he is a good person, QED he cannot be racist.
5) If he is not racist, then anything he does (say slurs, commit hate crimes, etc) is not racist, so clearly the uppity minority is just wrong and is calling him the worst thing you can call anyone, "racist."

This is the kind of poo poo bell hooks is touching on when she talks about saying "I support xist action" rather than just saying "I am x." Because once you turn an allied identity into something you can just sort of be without having to actually do anything, it's easy to drift into these kinds of traps where anything bad you do "doesn't count" because you're "not racist" or whatever.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It's like that bit by disgraced comedian Louis C.K. where he tries to say that the f-slur should be divorced from it's slur meaning because it's such a good word to describe people that are behaving like annoying assholes (or something along those lines, I'm not gonna look it up again/link it).

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Invisible Clergy posted:

No fake transphobic agenda pushing stories please.

....What? There's nothing transphobic here?
It's a very real thing thats extremely common in trans people when they're early in transition (Especially MtF due to societal expectations and forced masculinity)

It's like a rebirth of a childhood that they feel was stolen due to feeling forced into living a lie. Unfortunately if you don't know the person well and what they're dealing with, it can just look like bad arrested development from the outside looking in.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA FOR BEING AN IRRESPONSIBLE DRUNK

quote:

This happened last night and we were drinking with our officemates. I don't want to make an excuse but does anyone here do mindless things when they are drunk? Me for example likes to make a mess of the surroundings, like throw chips on the table little by little, tear the wrappers that they look like confetti, break the Disposable things... things like that. So last night, I don't know I just want to spill the water, and thoughtlessly dumped it on my officemate (who is like my junior). My boss saw it and he was furious. Livid even. He shouted at me and called me a bully bitch. I think the word stupid is thrown too. Then he made me leave. Yes, I was at fault, but I think I do not deserve the overreaction.

AITA for doing mindless things and being humiliated for it?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Am I the rear end in a top hat for doing rear end in a top hat things?"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

r/relationships: He shouted at me and called me a bully bitch

AITA for snitching on the entire class after they cheated on a test while the teacher walked out?

quote:

I am a straight A student at my high school. I am aiming for valedictorian and I believe in academic honesty. Cheating is unacceptable as people in life who cheat fall behind. Recently in AP Calculus BC, we had our midterm for the class and the teacher had a phone call about his bank acount and how it got hacked. He was outside for around 10 minutes. During these agonizing ten minutes, I saw my classmates do the unthinkable. Everyone was asking each other for answers and pulling out their phones. When the teacher came back, everyone managed to put their phone away and act like nothing happened. When the test was over, and everyone left I stayed back and told the teacher the events that transpired. As a result, everyone has to retake the test tomorrow. I felt that it was morally wrong, and students were taking advantage of someone else's misfortune. I felt aslo that it was for their own good, and that they needed to understand that cheating is wrong. What do you guys think?
Post from Narchimedes here.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for snitching on the entire class after they cheated on a test while the teacher walked out?

Narrowly avoided being a complete rear end in a top hat by nature of no long term consequences for anyone in particular, but absolutely deserves a solid wedgie.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

^^""the unthinkable"" lol what a square

AITA for throwing away my autistic roommate’s food after he repeatedly asked me not to?

quote:

I (25F) live with my roommate “Jeff” (25M) in a two bedroom apartment. We share a kitchen and living room. Jeff is autistic and has told me that he doesn’t like his stuff touched or moved from its original spot. Which is fine, I don’t ever touch his stuff or move it anyways.

The problem starts in the kitchen. I cook a lot and therefore use my share of the fridge space. Jeff, on the other hand, eats out more often, but still likes to keep his side of the fridge stocked. Which wouldn’t be a problem, except he buys easily perishable foods: grapes, salad mix, eggs, etc. He will leave his food in there until it’s literally liquified.

The first time I found his food like that I tossed it immediately, after which he freaked out and reminded me, again, to never touch his stuff. Since then I’ve had to practically beg him to throw out his food. Whenever I text him about his moldy food, he’ll just repeat “don’t touch/move my stuff,” even if I send a picture of fruit literally caked in mold.

I left for a trip two months ago and got back yesterday. I guess early on in my trip, Jeff bought some raw chicken and left it in the fridge. I opened the fridge yesterday morning to make breakfast and it was RANCID. All the food on the lower shelves was drenched in liquified chicken. There were mold spots growing on the plastic and it smelled like DEATH.

I lost it. I took every single biohazard out of that fridge and immediately tossed it in the dumpster. I used every chemical I had to completely sterilize the fridge. The whole process took hours. As I was cleaning, Jeff came home and immediately started yelling about me touching his food. I yelled back and told him he’s an idiot for leaving all that food to go rotten. He told me he’s autistic and needs things in certain places and I told him I need a fridge that doesn’t have a Pandora’s box full of diseases. He stormed off into his room and we haven’t spoken since.

So Reddit, AITA for throwing out my roommates food?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Mx. posted:

AITA for throwing away my autistic roommate’s food after he repeatedly asked me not to?

That's loving disgusting. I understand not wanting someone to touch or move your stuff, but being autistic isn't any sort of excuse for being a revolting trash goblin.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

That's loving disgusting. I understand not wanting someone to touch or move your stuff, but being autistic isn't any sort of excuse for being a revolting trash goblin.

I remember when Revolting Trash Goblin opened for Cradle of Filth, that was sick.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

Are we sure the roommate is autistic and not just a moron?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

r/relationships: He shouted at me and called me a bully bitch

"the unthinkable". What a loving wiener. This person needs an atomic wedgie and a swirly.

I'd say something about the op becoming a social leper, but I doubt someone like that has friends or a life to begin with.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

I told him I need a fridge that doesn’t have a Pandora’s box full of diseases

What a great description.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Cthulu Carl posted:

What if Seth Pecksniff is in face a horse?

Seth Pecksniff is a centaur OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Mx. posted:

Easy solution here - once it's inedible, it's no longer food. OP only agreed to not touch roommate's food, things that are no longer food, but are growing lifeforms on their own, are fair game.