Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

:hmmyes:

I already bought a case worth but apparently Costco has it for $57.99/case so I will likely be buying another case tonight....

How did 2 year old Hopslam taste? Last time I bought too much I let some age and found after 8 months it really starts to drop off.

I believe this one was hidden in one of our boxes of beer and it actually was really drat good. I was surprised because I've had the same experience as you in the past!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yesterday's brew was a bit of a pain, took longer than I had hoped, mostly because of equipment faults (and some of my own, of course), adding to that I had to add the yeast in a way I hadn't done before which made me nervous but I was sent this picture today and I certainly feel better about the whole thing.

Also upgraded the exhaust on one of the brites. Gonna wake up the whole neighborhood.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Having a Treehouse Tree of Promise with the Bills game tonight. It's billed as a stout/Barleywine hybrid and the texture is pure syrup.

I like it so far but it has the taste of something that might give you a bit of fatigue after a while.

Edit: Getting a lot of the chocolate and caramel noted promise but the bourbon just isn't there. This one really hides its alcohol well somehow.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 16, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Quiet Feet posted:

Having a Treehouse Tree of Promise with the Bills game tonight. It's billed as a stout/Barleywine hybrid and the texture is pure syrup.

I like it so far but it has the taste of something that might give you a bit of fatigue after a while.

Treehouse’s stouts are pure dessert. You gotta check out their lagers for the pure gold.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Treehouse’s stouts are pure dessert. You gotta check out their lagers for the pure gold.

I've had a few of their stouts before but this is a whole another level. I'm probably going to be working on this one all game, it's nearly pudding.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Last night, I finally got around to drinking the Bourbon County kentucky fog variant from last year. Oof. The honey was overwhelming, and it was a struggle to finish half the bottle. It got slightly better as it warmed, but it never rose to a level of "good".

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Quiet Feet posted:

I've had a few of their stouts before but this is a whole another level. I'm probably going to be working on this one all game, it's nearly pudding.

Yeah I’ve had Tree of Life before. I always share it with my partner who’s a barleywine fan because there’s no way I can finish one on my own.

If you want something a little more palatable try Amadee which is a belgian dark ale. It’s double digits percentage but much smoother imo.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Detective Thompson posted:

Also upgraded the exhaust on one of the brites. Gonna wake up the whole neighborhood.

What exactly is this setup for? I would guess maybe for dosing something during a transfer?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

internet celebrity posted:

What exactly is this setup for? I would guess maybe for dosing something during a transfer?

Yeah, we used it for some Brausol. Usually we just put it in the brite before the CO2 purge, but our head brewer forgot before the tank was purged and pressurized, and I only remembered after already transferring a few barrels.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

We ran out of Madonna and they happened to have a log of Switchback very locally, so I grabbed it without too much enthusiasm, it's an acceptable ale.

The stuff out of this keg is darker, more flavorful and just better than whatever the gently caress comes in the bottles. amber vs yellow, too.

interesting, I've noticed some variation in switchback bottled stuff, too. I am guessing smaller places have more variance.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Switchback draft vs bottles is two different animals, I’ve noticed it too. Love it on draft.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

We made an imperial stout with caramelized miso for a small, special dark beer series we do every winter and it turned out really nicely. That umami, sorta salty character comes through better on draft than in the cans in my opinion. This was a pretty small batch, just 3bbls, so there isn't much around. I'll be sad when it's gone, though we'll definitely save a few logs for the future.

Also having a late-night tripel from Bone Up in Everett, Ma. It's pretty pleasant.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Miso thirsty amirite?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

prob the second best fruited sour Ive had so far, extremely good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That is a beautiful can

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Brawnfire posted:

That is a beautiful can

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

actionjackson posted:

prob the second best fruited sour Ive had so far, extremely good

Oh my god is this stuff good. I just had it last week at their taproom and fell in love.

Their raspberry sour on nitro is also really good. Wish they’d try this peach sour on nitro, call it peaches and cream!

Curious what your number 1 is, especially if it’s available in the twin cities :).

I’ve really liked the 56 multitasker - tangerine Julius smoothie sour, and the Modist mangoschino smoothie sour.

Me and my brother both said that peach sour may be the best we’ve ever had though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DoctaFun posted:

Oh my god is this stuff good. I just had it last week at their taproom and fell in love.

Their raspberry sour on nitro is also really good. Wish they’d try this peach sour on nitro, call it peaches and cream!

Curious what your number 1 is, especially if it’s available in the twin cities :).

I’ve really liked the 56 multitasker - tangerine Julius smoothie sour, and the Modist mangoschino smoothie sour.

Me and my brother both said that peach sour may be the best we’ve ever had though.

yeah I'm in minneapolis. favorite is modist half believing in time, which is cherry, apricot, navel orange, with madagascar vanilla bean and chocolate

it's seasonal so you can't get it right now, but if you haven't gone there thomas liquors is the best for sours

mangoschino was decent

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 3, 2022

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

actionjackson posted:

yeah I'm in minneapolis. favorite is modist half believing in time, which is cherry, apricot, navel orange, with madagascar vanilla bean and chocolate

it's seasonal so you can't get it right now, but if you haven't gone there thomas liquors is the best for sours

mangoschino was decent

Yeah that sounds awesome! I’ll keep an eye out for it, I climb over at MBP which is basically connected to Pryes, so I got there and dangerous man pretty often.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Miso thirsty amirite?

It wasn't easy getting the people in charge to not give it a miso pun name.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Hey beer thread! I recently picked up a secondhand keezer and am very excited. I'm pretty sure it was a steal of a deal at $300.

It came with 5, 10 & 20 pound co2 tanks, various regulators, kegs, and a co2/n2 mix cylinder:

In position, with tap handles installed and a stout faucet swapped for the side:

I found these on ebay which arrived today:

Current plans are to get the co2/n2 mix cylinder swapped out for a pure n2 one which will run one of the 3gal kegs filled with cold brew through the stout faucet. The second 3gal keg will be used for the occasional draft cocktail. The other three taps will of course be used for a variety of beers. I can't wait to get homebrewing again! Next step will be to get a fresh coat of paint on the thing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yeah that owns. $300 isn't just a steal, it's a dream.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It wasn't easy getting the people in charge to not give it a miso pun name.

I'd at least have floated "Soybringer"

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Yeah that owns. $300 isn't just a steal, it's a dream.

$300 is just the 20# CO2 and the Nitrogen tank. The rest is free. That's an incredible find and I may be just a little jealous.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Jhet posted:

$300 is just the 20# CO2 and the Nitrogen tank. The rest is free. That's an incredible find and I may be just a little jealous.

Thirded, after you and Sirotan. Even if the condition wasn't great, it's a steal.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Kaiho posted:

Thirded, after you and Sirotan. Even if the condition wasn't great, it's a steal.

It for sure had a "wife wants it out of the dining room" discount attached.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Tremors posted:

It for sure had a "wife wants it out of the dining room" discount attached.

Don’t forget the “I need to stop consuming beer by the keg” coupon.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tremors posted:

Hey beer thread! I recently picked up a secondhand keezer and am very excited. I'm pretty sure it was a steal of a deal at $300.

It came with 5, 10 & 20 pound co2 tanks, various regulators, kegs, and a co2/n2 mix cylinder:

In position, with tap handles installed and a stout faucet swapped for the side:

I found these on ebay which arrived today:

Current plans are to get the co2/n2 mix cylinder swapped out for a pure n2 one which will run one of the 3gal kegs filled with cold brew through the stout faucet. The second 3gal keg will be used for the occasional draft cocktail. The other three taps will of course be used for a variety of beers. I can't wait to get homebrewing again! Next step will be to get a fresh coat of paint on the thing.

Love it! What Vandermill you got in there?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Love it! What Vandermill you got in there?

Alas, she is currently empty, but that will change soon!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I'd at least have floated "Soybringer"

drat, wish I had thought of that one. Gonna keep that in my back pocket in the off-chance I ever get a chance to do another miso/soy beer.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

drat, wish I had thought of that one. Gonna keep that in my back pocket in the off-chance I ever get a chance to do another miso/soy beer.

That should be the next aged Dark Lord variant tbh

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been drinking Lagunitas' non-alcoholic Hoppy Refresher. It's good. The ingredients say it's got water, hops, yeast, and natural flavors. What do you think the yeast is actually doing in there? Would it actually taste different if they left it out?

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
I think they say the yeast is there for hop particulate to bind to. Which sort of makes sense but I don't know how big a difference it really makes.

But it does have a more 'holistically' hop flavor than the new sierra nevada hop water, imoe

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yum!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Big Ditch is fantastic IMO

But I am locally biased

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Alan Sprints also announced today he's retiring and will be closing Hair of the Dog, tough day for Portland beer drinkers.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I always remember the under-breath portland local walking out of the just openen MT sport in a "defunct well beloved LOCAL brewery" that "they're charging san diego beer prices in portland" and the place was loving packed.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Good.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

incoherent posted:

I always remember the under-breath portland local walking out of the just openen MT sport in a "defunct well beloved LOCAL brewery" that "they're charging san diego beer prices in portland" and the place was loving packed.

Yeah, I’m more upset about Commons closing still than I am about this.