Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Gaijin is English for "foreign in Japan". HTH.

it still counts as Japanese. a reasonably well educated person or weeb would know the meaning, but it doesn't count as English yet. everybody under 18 knows the word baka now, but that doesn't count yet either. ninja is a really recent borrowing, but it's worked its way it. (wait, Wiktionary has gaijin listed, so maybe I'm behind the times. if I can play it in Scrabble I'll concede.)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seriouspost: Have you ever seen an "English" dictionary? It's about 100% non-English words. That's why Anglophones like to go with the fallacy that English has more words in use than any other language.

nah, it's not that. or not just that.

it's that we for some reason include archaic words. the last word in the OED used to be zyxt, which is a dialect version of archaic 2nd person to see (thou seest).

(that's an exception, since different parts of speech aren't usually recorded separately. (if they were, something like Turkish or Finnish would have the most words, with infinity.))

and on top of that, we draw from UK, Canadian, American, Australian, and Indian, so there are a lot of perfectly normal words for one group that another wouldn't use. (plus Scots gets lumped in, even though it's technically a different language.)

iirc the average English-speaking person doesn't have an idiolect that's bigger than anybody else's, which is maybe a more accurate measure.

anyway, it's vaguely analogous to the fact that all US-issued currency is still legal tender, so I could go to the grocery store and spend a silver dollar from 1800 as a dollar.

in conclusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Scots isn't a language, it's a series of made-up Wikipedia edits performed by an extremely prolific furry in North Carolina

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Scots isn't a language, it's a series of made-up Wikipedia edits performed by an extremely prolific furry in North Carolina

Ye ever wanty just wrap yersel up in tin foil nice and cosy and then just loving get right inty the microwave and blow yersel up tae gently caress

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

one person in footie PJs completely hosed an entire language. welcome to the internet

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

How did so many people manage to interpret "the Scots wikipedia mostly isn't actually written in Scots" into "the Scots language doesn't exist"?

Or is it just one goon who keeps saying it all over the place, I haven't been keeping track

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I’ve definitely seen lots of responses around the internet along the lines of “this is a huge blow to the Scots language” rather than “I guess nobody cares about Scots wikipedia”

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Snake Maze posted:

I’ve definitely seen lots of responses around the internet along the lines of “this is a huge blow to the Scots language” rather than “I guess nobody cares about Scots wikipedia”

google translate uses wikipedia as a part of its algorithm, so it's now compromised too

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I've seen this a bunch so I can't tell who's joking, but the Wikipedia guy didn't make up scots gaelic, he just didn't speak it. So the "scots gaelic" Wikipedia was just him taking the English articles and subbing in gaelic words that sounded like the English equivalents. It'd be like writing the Russian entries by putting backwards Rs and "-ski" at the end of everything.

e: beaten

\/ Whoops! Most of this still applies to Scots, though it'd be closer to Swedish vs Icelandic than English vs Russian \/

Splicer has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Feb 4, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Splicer posted:

I've seen this a bunch so I can't tell who's joking, but the Wikipedia guy didn't make up scots gaelic, he just didn't speak it. So the "scots gaelic" Wikipedia was just him taking the English articles and subbing in gaelic words that sounded like the English equivalents. It'd be like writing the Russian entries by putting backwards Rs and "-ski" at the end of everything.

e: beaten

not gaelic, scots

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

because for a while people were just posting excerpts from scots wikipedia to laugh at them and go "ha, look, it's just english with an accent" which significantly contributed to the prevailing idea among people who don't really know much about it that it's not a real language

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mind the walrus posted:

Sometimes it's better for the mail route, other times it's just a badly designed road. Either way the US loving hates pedestrians.

What, because you have to walk?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

His Divine Shadow posted:

What, because you have to walk?

Because there's probably no pedestrian crossing for ten miles each direction, nor any sidewalk.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Because there's probably no pedestrian crossing for ten miles each direction, nor any sidewalk.

When I lived in an apartment, there was a bus stop across the street. The nearest cross walk to that bus stop was about half a mile away (I had measured it for an exercise routine) so if you wanted to access the bus stop or go home after getting off the bus, you had to cross the street "illegally." There was a case where a kid was killed by a drunk driver doing just that, and the drunk driver went free because the kid was not using the pedestrian crossing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

marshmallow creep posted:

When I lived in an apartment, there was a bus stop across the street. The nearest cross walk to that bus stop was about half a mile away (I had measured it for an exercise routine) so if you wanted to access the bus stop or go home after getting off the bus, you had to cross the street "illegally." There was a case where a kid was killed by a drunk driver doing just that, and the drunk driver went free because the kid was not using the pedestrian crossing.

Hell, they'll lie about where people crossed, do whatever it takes to protect drivers. This country hates pedestrians with a vengeance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Does there need to be? Usually they bunch together mailboxes because the area in question is low density population wise, which also means little traffic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Does there need to be? Usually they bunch together mailboxes because the area in question is low density population wise, which also means little traffic.

this is America, so some developer will throw up a lovely exurban development out in the sticks with big banks of mailboxes and zero pedestrian infrastructure because it's in the middle of nowhere, and then over the next 10 years other developers will backfill the surrounding area with strip malls & more housing developments. there is still no pedestrian infrastructure and the big banks of mailboxes still exist but now there are several hundred multicar households in the neighborhood and everyone drives everywhere all the time so the traffic sucks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

If you're expecting pedestrians to cross a road, in a country that doesn't actively want pedestrians to die, you put a crosswalk there. Doesn't matter if there's one car an hour there. That car's driver needs to know to slow down and get ready to stop.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
speaking of roads, let's watch Anette chase a monster down one!

Hitmen for Destiny #445: Manipulating mirage

=======================

Hitmen for Destiny #446: Teach throwing

=======================

Hitmen for Destiny #447: Show something

Bodycount: 190 196
+original corpse piler host
+master hippie
+master rollerblader
+master breath-holder
+master gunman I guess?
+corpse piler

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Feb 4, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

to clarify, not only is Scots not a real language, but Scotland isn't a real place

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm starting to believe that any country whose name ends in land is a hoax...it just sounds too obvious!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've heard the reports coming out of "England" lately and that the place never existed and is a long-running joke being played on us is probably the simple explanation.

Anyways, a comic from Italy, a country that does exist:

The New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

I adore looking back on these and seeing things like ISPN modems being touted as an integral part of the futuristic sci-fi bullshit

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm starting to believe that any country whose name ends in land is a hoax...it just sounds too obvious!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've heard the reports coming out of "England" lately and that the place never existed and is a long-running joke being played on us is probably the simple explanation.

Anyways, a comic from Italy, a country that does exist:

You fool. You buffoon. The name "Italia" derives from the words for "cow-land."

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I'm a big fan of the "if there's doubt the reader would understand the joke, write it on the protagonist's tshirt" methodology

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

speaking of roads, let's watch Anette chase a monster down one!

Hitmen for Destiny #445: Manipulating mirage

=======================

Hitmen for Destiny #446: Teach throwing

=======================

Hitmen for Destiny #447: Show something

Bodycount: 190 196
+original corpse piler host
+master hippie
+master rollerblader
+master breath-holder
+master gunman I guess?
+corpse piler

I had never heard of HfD or Thorsby before reading this thread, but I'm so invested. How is this so engrossing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DrPossum posted:

I'm a big fan of the "if there's doubt the reader would understand the joke, write it on the protagonist's tshirt" methodology

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm going to post the rest of Necropolis in longer than one page chunks (on average, accounting for scene transitions) for pacing and so I'm not doing this for too long.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

DrPossum posted:

normally I'd think this is an utter bullshit move but he's able to make it make things even funnier. I salute his prodigious talent

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm going to post the rest of Necropolis in longer than one page chunks (on average, accounting for scene transitions) for pacing and so I'm not doing this for too long.

“All that she had was a weeping mother and a sleeping sister” that’s a lot to lose you dummy!

Really liking Necropolis so far

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

This table of butt-lickers and poo poo-eaters is SCANDALIZED, I'm sure.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This table of butt-lickers and poo poo-eaters is SCANDALIZED, I'm sure.

Plus you've got a whole food chain represented at that table!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
My cat has a very hard time holding cutlery and drinking wine during my dinner parties so I'm not sure the author knows animals well at all !

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

that's how it is with an image, always all CAPTION

achewood is a celebration of the English language

they got mega ding dongs in that restaurant's food

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tree Bucket posted:

That doesn't sound great.
You'd need some kind of system or service for, as it were, delivering mail from that central point directly to people's homes. Perhaps the mail could be placed in a box near the home, for efficiency's sake.

Tell me you didn't grow up in the boonies without telling me you grew up in the boonies

Hell my home town didn't even have a door to door service for most of my life. And the post office was open from noon to four to better home Amazon doesn't ship via UPS Surepost because you're never getting a package again.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Hup, bup bup!

Hup...... Burger?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hupkin

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

THANK Ronnie for "Cheeseburger"

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Paper Tiger posted:

Hup, bup bup!

Hup...... Burger?

Hush, now!
I'm using the code.
THE HUP CODE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
HUP is comix royalty. It'd be a great sound effect for that Charlie-Brown-fails-to-kick-football thing.