Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

acksplode posted:

Yeah pretty much. You unlock stuff by collecting supplies (blue food can icon), and the more parts (mechanical junk icon) you earn during a match the more supplies you get at the end. Supplies also sustain your clan and prevent sickness and death. Optionally you can pick up supplies from the corpses of enemies you've downed or executed. But don't prioritize it over playing the objective, best way to get supplies is to win.

Cool! Kind of a bummer I’m trying this out so late, most matches are filled with lvl 999s and I’m constantly matched with people in Latin America (I’m in USA), though not sure if those kind of latencies have much effect given how slow paced the game is.

You folks are all based in Europe, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Cool! Kind of a bummer I’m trying this out so late, most matches are filled with lvl 999s and I’m constantly matched with people in Latin America (I’m in USA), though not sure if those kind of latencies have much effect given how slow paced the game is.

Try not supply raid unless you wanna go against shut-ins who've been playing factions since the ps3. I'm personally a fan of interrogation. The rounds can last a while and will help you get the things you need for wipe out events to keep your petri-dish alive so you can unlock the hats.

Latency has some effect, but it's certainly not as pronounced as it is in a sweaty-rear end fps. I'm in the US and have no issues playing with the UK goons on TLOUsdays.

Unless you have a group of 4 people, it's honestly better to risk doing solo than running against other parties where you're practically guaranteed to go up against a bunch of level 999 tryhards. I mean the 999 tryhards will still be there solo, but it's not nearly as nightmarish.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Try not supply raid unless you wanna go against shut-ins who've been playing factions since the ps3. I'm personally a fan of interrogation. The rounds can last a while and will help you get the things you need for wipe out events to keep your petri-dish alive so you can unlock the hats.

Latency has some effect, but it's certainly not as pronounced as it is in a sweaty-rear end fps. I'm in the US and have no issues playing with the UK goons on TLOUsdays.

Unless you have a group of 4 people, it's honestly better to risk doing solo than running against other parties where you're practically guaranteed to go up against a bunch of level 999 tryhards. I mean the 999 tryhards will still be there solo, but it's not nearly as nightmarish.

Unfortunately the two sessions I’ve played I couldn’t find a match for Interrogation or Survivors. Maybe this weekend they’ll be up.

Yah, I run no parties and have had some matches where I do ok (equal amounts of downs/executions to deaths) and then next round get obliterated when the 999s end up on the same team.

Would love to play with others if there is space and willingness. I love TLOU and it was my first PlayStation game since the PSX, so any excuse to play more of it is a-ok.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:dong:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Anti-Hero posted:

Unfortunately the two sessions I’ve played I couldn’t find a match for Interrogation or Survivors. Maybe this weekend they’ll be up.

Yah, I run no parties and have had some matches where I do ok (equal amounts of downs/executions to deaths) and then next round get obliterated when the 999s end up on the same team.

Would love to play with others if there is space and willingness. I love TLOU and it was my first PlayStation game since the PSX, so any excuse to play more of it is a-ok.

Playing on your own with parties on is just about the worst gaming experience you can have. I feel like some pearl clutching lord aghast at the appalling behaviour on display.

There are some good videos still going up to this day on YouTube detailing the weird quirks of the game and how to use the semi-auto/rifle etc. My other advice is that if someone is running covert 3 with a silenced tactical shotgun just leave the game

Join the Tlousday fights! Should be room next week

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

fridge corn posted:

I feel bad for ducking out early especially cuz I had a really good round in the financial plaza but that round in the high school where shutterpunch just absolutely destroyed me and got 17 kills for the round I just kinda noped out of there. Yikes

That's okay buddy, it let Snacky get in anyway. You can be on Punch's team next week :D

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Anti-Hero posted:

I think the TLOUsers mix tilts toward EU but there's usually Americans playing. I'm on the west coast and I don't notice excessive latency when we get together.

If you have any interest at all then you should definitely show up, the more the merrier. At worst you can hang out and chat and watch veeg's stream until someone drops out. Drop your PSN ID here or PM it to a regular and we'll add you to the PSN group.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Seedge posted:

That's okay buddy, it let Snacky get in anyway.

thanks for signing my death warrant, corn :argh:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

God drat I cannot wait for wait for Factions 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU1YUAJlKXQ

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Factions 2 never, ND will just keep the factions servers running for eternity. Can't top an already perfect game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

without checking back are you just posting the same video every couple of weeks.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

thanks for signing my death warrant, corn :argh:

Np buddy ;)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

without checking back are you just posting the same video every couple of weeks.

that's an interesting question. do you mean philosophically? i suppose if we were to approach it with a humanist critique in the tradition of western liberalism...

i'm sorry, i must retire for the day to ponder these developments.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

acksplode posted:

I think the TLOUsers mix tilts toward EU but there's usually Americans playing. I'm on the west coast and I don't notice excessive latency when we get together.

If you have any interest at all then you should definitely show up, the more the merrier. At worst you can hang out and chat and watch veeg's stream until someone drops out. Drop your PSN ID here or PM it to a regular and we'll add you to the PSN group.

Perfect!

PSNID: DrunkenEngineer

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Word. Shot ya a friend request. Can't add you to the party otherwise because of privacy settings.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Soon enough we'll have enough tlousers to run two matches at once

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Chat mayhem

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Breaking news: factions 2 will have levels and possibly environments in said levels

https://twitter.com/kurtmargenau/status/1488961557534949379?s=21

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Word. Shot ya a friend request. Can't add you to the party otherwise because of privacy settings.

Sweet. Looking forward to getting stomped.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Breaking news: factions 2 will have levels and possibly environments in said levels

https://twitter.com/kurtmargenau/status/1488961557534949379?s=21

i feel betrayed

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

Sweet. Looking forward to getting stomped.

Added: Welcome 2 my spectre

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Man, I'm garbage at Factions.

Isn't there some sort of cheat/exploit involving shoulder switching? Because I swear I'm getting shot from behind cover constantly, from bad guys in front of me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s not really an exploit and wouldn’t cause you to be hit behind cover. Shoulder switching can be used to juke around and make yourself harder to hit. Not that many people do it, it’s not that easy to do.

If you are getting hit behind cover it’s likely you are not properly in full cover. An easy tell is that your character will slightly touch the wall to indicate you are in full cover, but that still doesn’t prevent someone from shooting you if they have an angle on the cover.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

It’s not really an exploit and wouldn’t cause you to be hit behind cover. Shoulder switching can be used to juke around and make yourself harder to hit. Not that many people do it, it’s not that easy to do.

If you are getting hit behind cover it’s likely you are not properly in full cover. An easy tell is that your character will slightly touch the wall to indicate you are in full cover, but that still doesn’t prevent someone from shooting you if they have an angle on the cover.

Yeah, this is a huge feature that newbies may not know about. Full cover is super important for both combat and stealth, your hand MUST be touching the wall, otherwise the cover may be too shallow to protect your head, but also, if your hand isn't touching the wall your nametag is showing in bright red right above you for anyone that may be watching within range.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

Man, I'm garbage at Factions.

Isn't there some sort of cheat/exploit involving shoulder switching? Because I swear I'm getting shot from behind cover constantly, from bad guys in front of me.

Yeah as above you’re hand must be touching the wall, but there is also a discrepancy between what you see and what others see of your character. If you have so much as a quarter of a toe not solidly behind cover than to others you’ll look like your entire arm and leg are poking out.

But also yes, switching very rapidly between shoulders allows you to shoot straight through walls and pretty much the whole map. Just leave the match if you see someone do it. It’s frustratingly common. If you don’t see you’ll know it’s happening if you’re getting shot without any sound (not even the silenced pew).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The man known as Aipsh. :grin:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there some sort of breakdown/evidence of this? After playing this game for 6 straight years of online I never noticed anything like that once. I know there are out of bounds exploits but I have never seen or heard of it being related to shoulder switching.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Is there some sort of breakdown/evidence of this? After playing this game for 6 straight years of online I never noticed anything like that once. I know there are out of bounds exploits but I have never seen or heard of it being related to shoulder switching.

https://youtu.be/2E8ZlYuynl8
This is what it looks like from being wall-banged (uh as it’s called). Funnily enough I also have that particular player blocked on PSN for doing that poo poo.

Here’s what it looks like to wall bang

https://youtu.be/oC7DqgcTTPo

https://youtu.be/AGcfiwHa0Yg

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

The man known as Aipsh. :grin:

Always have been :blastu:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat I don't think that was prevalent when I stopped playing. Disregard what I said earlier, that sucks. Glad I only play private matches now I guess.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aipsh posted:

Always have been :blastu:

I always thought Aipsh was the onomatopoeia we formed when saying aidan pshawww

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I always thought Aipsh was the onomatopoeia we formed when saying aidan pshawww

It was the natural flowing nature of language plus also my last username I had been using since I was like 13 and I don’t want to be associated with it anymore. NEW NAME NEW ME

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I thought it was Sean Connery describing NFTs.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Happy tlousday ya filthy tourists!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Uh someone at Nintendo has clearly been watching the Veeg TLOU streams

:edit: that kirby game does look great though shame I can't play it

:edit: I completely forgot I own a switch

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 10, 2022

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I’m about to finish up my first 12 week Faction journey. I’ve not bought any of the DLC, though I’ve been owned plenty by the launcher and tac shotgun.

What DLC is worth investing in? My loadout has been the ultimate support dweeb - Crafter 3, First Aid 2, Collector 1, Revolver (empty longarm).

I’d actually like to start killing people, any suggestions for perks/weapons/DLC that I should take a look at?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I've gotten good use out of second chance. It costs 1 point and will give you a health kit when you have none and take over 50% damage. It'll also start giving you ammo if you keep dying without getting kills. Look into the bundles of perks and weapons instead of the single ones imo. None of them are necessary to do well with, but they offer some different weapons and ways of playing that you might get with better. Not sure what it'd cost to get everything non-cosmetic to play around with, but factions dlc is real cheap at least.

Edit: I've had good luck running support, and just healing, gifting, and reviving my teammates. The revolver is a really solid weapon and if you couple other with pistol zoom or whatever it's really drat accurate from a distance, but it also takes up more useful perk slots imo

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 10, 2022

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'd say just finish out the 12 weeks to get the unlocks, then gently caress around with loadouts since the petri dish thing doesn't matter anyway and find what works best for you. I should start trying other loadouts/weapons to be more of an attacker, but being a support/healer is really useful for the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Second chance is the perk that got me interested in the DLC, actually.

Yup, revolver does pretty well. The semi-auto and burst rifle seem ok, with the latter having a high skill ceiling.

Playing has also made me pay attention to how I hold the controller. “Claw” seems to be the only way to be able to move AND switch weapons on the fly, so I’m trying to get better at that. Main issue has lately been fumbling around to switch to a throwable and get caught with my pants down when I take my thumb off the left stick and on to the d-pad.