Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

That was me! I forgot a new episode came out today, thanks for the reminder

It’s a pretty rad :spooky: episode

E:wait I think I’m an episode behind, sweet I got another one to watch yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Didn't China host the Olympics like a decade ago? There was probably fearmongering over that too.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, I got an outraged email newsletter from my senator decrying “The Olympics are not for propaganda!” and I was like lol what the gently caress you on bud?

lmao i love this. like propaganda is the entire rationale for hosting/participating in them.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

bobjr posted:

Didn't China host the Olympics like a decade ago? There was probably fearmongering over that too.

They hosted the summer olympics in 2008. There were literally whole streets where people's homes got bulldozed and they put up walls and screens to hide the poor people from broadcasts. Getting all excited over Chinese propaganda is a little silly since that's what the olympics have been forever but still. gently caress China.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

for 2022 it was between china and kazakhstan

no wonder there's absolutely no buzz for these games

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BlindSite posted:

I'll be keen to hear what you think.

Also pizza / baking goons - I'm making a sheet pan pizza tomorrow, doing the 24 hour proofing method. I didn't realise I didn't have normal bread flour but wholewheat. Normally its a 75% hydration dough do I need to adjust my ratio at all or do anything different.

uh, I'm not sure you can even use whole wheat flour solely for pizza dough. Like for wheat bread you generally mix somewhere between 50/50 and 75/25 white/bread flour and whole wheat flour. There's probably a way to do it, but I've never seen any baking recipe that only had whole wheat flour.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

uh, I'm not sure you can even use whole wheat flour solely for pizza dough. Like for wheat bread you generally mix somewhere between 50/50 and 75/25 white/bread flour and whole wheat flour. There's probably a way to do it, but I've never seen any baking recipe that only had whole wheat flour.

It came out of a box where it's premixed, for bread or pizza so it's already a ratio. I went slightly higher hydration anyway. See how it goes I guess.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

BlindSite posted:

They hosted the summer olympics in 2008. There were literally whole streets where people's homes got bulldozed and they put up walls and screens to hide the poor people from broadcasts. Getting all excited over Chinese propaganda is a little silly since that's what the olympics have been forever but still. gently caress China.

lmao oh did they gently caress over the poor? drat, that sure sounds awful and uniquely chinese.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I read “The BlackTongue Thief” on recommendation from here and it was really enjoyable.

I zoomed through it. What a treat to read fiction!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Relentlessboredomm posted:

lmao oh did they gently caress over the poor? drat, that sure sounds awful and uniquely chinese.

On the flip side, Rio was so great and resulted in a boon for the Brazilian economy!!

Oh, the swimmers had to swim through raw sewage? Well then

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I mean at this point it’s pretty clear the government won’t do anything meaningful to stop Covid and capital actively spreads Covid.

Covid is only going away if the virus chooses suicide.

It's gonna go away because pandemics go away.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Every few years there's always the "Look at the top quality stadium/housing built for Olympics that's now dilapidated and abandoned" story, when each Olympics it's promised this time that things will be different.

I'd be surprised if we actually had a success story out of that for once.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I read “The BlackTongue Thief” on recommendation from here and it was really enjoyable.

Oh hey I’m listening to the audiobook as we speak, I agree! The author does the reading, and the thick Irish accent honestly adds a ton

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

seiferguy posted:

On the flip side, Rio was so great and resulted in a boon for the Brazilian economy!!

Oh, the swimmers had to swim through raw sewage? Well then

lol yup.

not trying to be a dick, im just really struggling to find any outrage about a country loving over poor people these days. not bc it's not evil but bc i mean, *gestures to our dying capitalist hellscape*, it just feels so low stakes by comparison and such an incredibly common occurrence.

we're currently averaging more than a 9/11 a day for US deaths in this country from COVID and we flat out don't give a poo poo, largely bc those deaths are mostly the old, the sick, the poor, and lots of minorities. there's just so much greater evil going on here, the lesser evil of "pushed the poor out of the way during the olympics" feels adorable by comparison.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 5, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Oh hey I’m listening to the audiobook as we speak, I agree! The author does the reading, and the thick Irish accent honestly adds a ton

This was my rec! Glad you're enjoying it!

not trying to be a dick, im just really struggling to find any outrage about a country loving over poor people these days. not bc it's not evil but bc i mean, *gestures to our dying capitalist hellscape*, it just feels so low stakes by comparison and such an incredibly common occurrence.

we're currently averaging more than a 9/11 a day for US deaths in this country from COVID and we flat out don't give a poo poo, largely bc those deaths are mostly the old, the sick, and the poor. there's just so much greater evil going on here, the lesser evil of "pushed the poor out of the way during the olympics" feels adorable by comparison.

Eh, deliberate genocide is still pretty bad to me.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

lol yup.

we're currently averaging more than a 9/11 a day for US deaths in this country from COVID and we flat out don't give a poo poo, largely bc those deaths are mostly the old, the sick, and the poor. there's just so much greater evil going on here, the lesser evil of "pushed the poor out of the way during the olympics" feels adorable by comparison.

The deaths are mostly people who could have gotten a free shot to prevent dying.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I just want to see Yuzuru Hanyu go ham and put up a fight in the skating ring. Also wanna see how many of the Russian women land their quads since they are absolutely going to dominate in the figure skating arena. Also all the long and short track speed skating. I have Apollo Anton Ohno's autograph in a book of weird conspiracy theories from the mid-90's.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lol that owns

BlindSite posted:

This was my rec! Glad you're enjoying it!

It’s really good. Thank you! There’s a bunch of stuff I love about it.

For 1, the author strikes a nice balance of using regular words vs made up fantasy words. And, even better, most of the time the fantasy made up words are connotative of a regular word that’s similar. Like “Spanth” is basically “Spain”. And the author doesn’t try and explicit explain the fantasy stuff that doesn’t matter. Ex/ the author doesn’t layout how all the crazy rear end currencies relate to each other, just a handful and that’s more about the art of the coins. Same with the Towers card game, just enough explained for the reader to get the gist.

For 2, I appreciate that the cast of characters is manageably sized. Stuff like Game of Thrones can get confusing for my old brain. And the supplementary characters basically have their segmented portions of the story with minimal overlap with other supplementary characters. I love the story arc of the whaler dude lol.

For 3, the writing itself is just plain fun :)

For 4, I really like the low magic setting. It’s enough magic that it can have fun quirks, but it’s restrained enough that there aren’t deus ex machinas. Related, the low magic also means that tension can actually build because the audience is aware of actual limits.

For 5, the protagonist is a thief. Which means there’s more nuance potential for his character… Compared to like a lawful good paladin or something.

Really my only complaint is kind of related to 4. Medium spoiler for about ~4/5th of the way through the book. I felt it was kind of… anticlimactic? Premature? That in a world of low magic, a world with basically only a handful of POWERFUL magick users… they meet like half of them in the first book. But that’s a really minor gripe.

Great book 5/5 stars, highly recommend if you are looking for a fantasy!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Also I’m terrible at remembering character names in books now, rip

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BlindSite posted:

I'll be keen to hear what you think.

Also pizza / baking goons - I'm making a sheet pan pizza tomorrow, doing the 24 hour proofing method. I didn't realise I didn't have normal bread flour but wholewheat. Normally its a 75% hydration dough do I need to adjust my ratio at all or do anything different.

Whole wheat flour typically has a high protein level so it's probably going to make your dough hard to work with.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Guze posted:

The deaths are mostly people who could have gotten a free shot to prevent dying.

oh well, gently caress em then. i mean poo poo, there's no hard vax mandates, and i wont interrogate if vaccinated people die or even ponder for a moment over all the immunocompromised people who cant get proper vax protection that im cavalierly dooming. let em die, we're an unfeeling society of psychopaths and they should know better than to expect anyone especially our gov't to give a gently caress about them.

BlindSite posted:

Eh, deliberate genocide is still pretty bad to me.

idk what this is referencing? is this a migrants concentration camp reference fpr the US bc yeah that's pretty horrific and was instantly brushed under the rug the minute we switched administrations

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My girlfriend thinks it's kind of weird that I'm going to make beef borguignon for the Super Bowl but I say she's being reductive in her Super Bowl foods.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Make pasta soup instead and make long eye contact :v:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Lol so Horizon: Forbidden West comes out in a couple weeks. Apparently if you have a PS5 you can preorder the PS4 version which is $10 less than the PS5 version then upgrade to the PS5 version for free

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lol that owns

It’s really good. Thank you! There’s a bunch of stuff I love about it.

For 1, the author strikes a nice balance of using regular words vs made up fantasy words. And, even better, most of the time the fantasy made up words are connotative of a regular word that’s similar. Like “Spanth” is basically “Spain”. And the author doesn’t try and explicit explain the fantasy stuff that doesn’t matter. Ex/ the author doesn’t layout how all the crazy rear end currencies relate to each other, just a handful and that’s more about the art of the coins. Same with the Towers card game, just enough explained for the reader to get the gist.

For 2, I appreciate that the cast of characters is manageably sized. Stuff like Game of Thrones can get confusing for my old brain. And the supplementary characters basically have their segmented portions of the story with minimal overlap with other supplementary characters. I love the story arc of the whaler dude lol.

For 3, the writing itself is just plain fun :)

For 4, I really like the low magic setting. It’s enough magic that it can have fun quirks, but it’s restrained enough that there aren’t deus ex machinas. Related, the low magic also means that tension can actually build because the audience is aware of actual limits.

For 5, the protagonist is a thief. Which means there’s more nuance potential for his character… Compared to like a lawful good paladin or something.

Really my only complaint is kind of related to 4. Medium spoiler for about ~4/5th of the way through the book. I felt it was kind of… anticlimactic? Premature? That in a world of low magic, a world with basically only a handful of POWERFUL magick users… they meet like half of them in the first book. But that’s a really minor gripe.

Great book 5/5 stars, highly recommend if you are looking for a fantasy!

I don't disagree at all with the spoiler you posted, but keep in mind it's a planned trilogy (might be a whole series). I really liked the tower game with his rear end on the line and lost it laughing when he ended the following passage with the whole "if you believe that..." I think the concept of his patron god being a fox and requiring mischief as as tribute was a really nice touch too.

oh well, gently caress em then. i mean poo poo, there's no hard vax mandates, and i wont interrogate if vaccinated people die or even ponder for a moment over all the immunocompromised people who cant get proper vax protection that im cavalierly dooming. let em die, we're an unfeeling society of psychopaths and they should know better than to expect anyone especially our gov't to give a gently caress about them.

idk what this is referencing? is this a migrants concentration camp reference fpr the US bc yeah that's pretty horrific and was instantly brushed under the rug the minute we switched administrations

The uyghur people. Nothing to do with the US.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I don't disagree at all with the spoiler you posted, but keep in mind it's a planned trilogy (might be a whole series). I really liked the tower game with his rear end on the line and lost it laughing when he ended the following passage with the whole "if you believe that..." I think the concept of his patron god being a fox and requiring mischief as as tribute was a really nice touch too.

Lol yeah that was one of the best twists in awhile.

And the Fox god treasuring mischief as a form of worship is so well crafted.

Dang goons, felt good to read a good fiction book. Way more fun than reading about rampant human rights violations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mission hill was nothing but bangers

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Lol yeah that was one of the best twists in awhile.

And the Fox god treasuring mischief as a form of worship is so well crafted.

Dang goons, felt good to read a good fiction book. Way more fun than reading about rampant human rights violations.

A couple of his other books are pretty good too. Those Across the River is cool and Between two Fires is probably my favourite of his works so far.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I’m gonna lose my mind. It’s 430am here and I haven’t slept at all. I’m wide awake. I’m past the point of being able to take something because I don’t want to sleep all day but at this point I also may not have a choice because I don’t want to just power through it and then crash later

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I just want to see Yuzuru Hanyu go ham and put up a fight in the skating ring. Also wanna see how many of the Russian women land their quads since they are absolutely going to dominate in the figure skating arena. Also all the long and short track speed skating. I have Apollo Anton Ohno's autograph in a book of weird conspiracy theories from the mid-90's.

Shame there won’t be any Winnie the Poohs tossed onto the ice after Hanyu skates

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol so Horizon: Forbidden West comes out in a couple weeks. Apparently if you have a PS5 you can preorder the PS4 version which is $10 less than the PS5 version then upgrade to the PS5 version for free

With the next gen Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport around the corner I’m finding it really hard to resist the urge to go hunt down a PS5 or XSX and plonk it down on a credit card with a new wheel set up.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

T-Square posted:

With the next gen Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport around the corner I’m finding it really hard to resist the urge to go hunt down a PS5 or XSX and plonk it down on a credit card with a new wheel set up.

Do it and Forza Horizon 5 is out now and absolutely stunning to look at and a blast to play.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
So how does one even procure a PS5 these days?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rectal Placenta posted:

There's this guy on twitter:

https://twitter.com/PS5StockAlerts

He tracks the different stores and posts when they've got stock in. I just got lucky one day and Gamestop had a bundle and I was able to snag one. Gamestop, in an effort to ward off scalpers, makes you join their club thing and they only sell the system in a bundle and one per account per day. With mine I got NBA 2k and Ghost of Tsushima. I sold 2k to a friend that already had a ps5

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 5, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Rectal Placenta posted:

PS Direct is how I got mine.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was in a discord for ps5 drops, someone mentioned best buy was having a drop, and I got in while the site was hammered. After refreshing for about an hour, it eventually got added to my cart then refreshing the checkout, it eventually went through.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

we're currently averaging more than a 9/11 a day for US deaths in this country from COVID and we flat out don't give a poo poo, largely bc those deaths are mostly the old, the sick, the poor, and lots of minorities. there's just so much greater evil going on here, the lesser evil of "pushed the poor out of the way during the olympics" feels adorable by comparison.

We've moved into moralizing contracting the pandemic disease. If you die you deserved it now, whether you're on the right and you say people deserved it because of pre-existing conditions or comorbidities or you're everyone else and you go :shrug: shoulda gotten vaxxed :shrug:

It's wild but also oddly proving Stalin... right(?!) with the a single death is a tragedy quote.

We truly don't give a poo poo anymore, as a country.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:lol:

https://twitter.com/popcrave/status/1489953221997178880?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Joe Rogan seems like the kinda guy that occasionally dropped an n-bomb quoting someone or trying to make a point, but loving 70 episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My girlfriend thinks it's kind of weird that I'm going to make beef borguignon for the Super Bowl but I say she's being reductive in her Super Bowl foods.
Talk like Julia Childs the entire time. Making the dish, eating the dish, yelling at the refs, the entire time.