Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Only Kindness posted:

I was idly wondering about this thing that keeps coming up among Shitizens: the We All Voted For This defence.

This is probably not news to us cool folks here, but I found this on :reddit:

http://reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/711y4r/

The post is from ~4 years ago talking about things that happened 4 years earlier than that, so, is it right? Is this a fair summary?

a) An embarrassingly tiny percentage (well under 20%) of Shitizens voted...

b) ...in two obscure online polls...

c) ...with a very narrow margin (54%... ok)...

d) ...to have CI!G "keep offering stretch goals"...

e) ...so this ~10% winning vote somehow justifies the massive scope creep, delays, and all the other asinine clownery we see?

That's basically it.

Also know that cig has never listened to players ever in their history.

So assuming that this one thing is what set cig on an infinite path to make a decade long alpha because we the players voted them to is crazy.

The alternative is realizing that CR is genuinely terrible as a leader and even when given infinite time and money he still fails to deliver.

Surely that is incorrect... so obviously it is the backers fault and CR is innocent. After all he's absolved himself of all this silly "responsibility" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oh dear... Death threats, for real?

That's kind of lame. I hope nobody is actually doing it, and I also hope these threats didn't happen like 10m before they made the announcement about them. They did the same thing previously with Sandi.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mirificus posted:

Too many of you have allowed yourselves to be distracted and disenfranchised by those who sought to deliberately poison the well and drive down enthusiasm for the project as a whole

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

It's actually more embarrassing than that, this is part of the statement that accompanied the poll:

And this is from (I believe, it has been many years since I looked) the very next "Letter from the Chairman" following the poll:

This is how I recall of if the statements around the event too.

Not only was it "more" but it was also always hand in hand with "faster".

Even opening multiple studios was deployed as "faster" by allowing the game to be worked on 24/7 all the time.

I would suggest at this point you could say it was all lies... but I mean it's only been 8 or so years later or something. Those pipelines are gonna kick in any second and 100 solar systems are suddenly going to be in the game world with 1000's of players fighting huge space wars together. :)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Page 1942 ....

1942 was a better arcade game than Squadron 42 is. (Except for the secret Squadron 42 Stimpire level, it completely ripped out my spine and left me jelly.)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The Titanic posted:

Oh dear... Death threats, for real?

That's kind of lame. I hope nobody is actually doing it, and I also hope these threats didn't happen like 10m before they made the announcement about them. They did the same thing previously with Sandi.

I guarantee you not a single one of them received a death threat, citizens are just freewheeling trying to find some reason to justify CIG going the extra mile to piss in their eye while they poo poo in their mouths

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beet ......

.... may we have a Kayak update? :kayak:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
This keeps getting weirder, even for star citizen.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Kavros posted:

This keeps getting weirder, even for star citizen.

Development Hell is a weird thing to begin with. A bunch of people want something made but just can't figure it out. And it's doubly weird in video games because you have people working on it as full time jobs. And this is something that's been in development hell for a decade with thousands of people working on it and the people paying for it can't even admit it's in development hell.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kosumo posted:

Beet ......

.... may we have a Kayak update? :kayak:

Of course! I have been neglecting my duty to this thread for far too long.

Kayak says hello

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

Of course! I have been neglecting my duty to this thread for far too long.

Kayak says hello

My wife spotted this pic from across the house and despite not following this debacle for years, yelled out "IT'S KAYAK!"

Truly the best thing to come out of this.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

The thing that pisses me off about that isn't the percentage of people who "voted" for something - it's that the idea of voting itself has to be embedded in a structure that was intended, at inception, to allow voting to determine course. Giving money to a game company is a private transaction between buyer and seller, and what you paid for can't be "voted" into something else even if 99% of the other buyers agreed. The contract between buyer and seller is all there is, and CIG's flagrant violation of that social contract is why I firmly place SC in the scam category. Every dollar they've made has been selling a series of ever-changing lies, and the "backers voted for it" excuse was meant to shield themselves from responsibility by passively mobilizing their defenders against their detractors. A strategy that was co-opted in another context last January 6th.

SC's propensity for manipulating crowds of the dumb seems to be one of their strengths. Sometimes I wonder if these unforced errors we all laugh at, that invariably lead to funding spikes, aren't intentional after all.

It's the peak of absurdity. It's bat poo poo crazy to entertain this idea.

Pay for something, when you don't get what you paid for someone else's gets to vote to change what you paid for and this is some how a clear valid reason for why you have nothing.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Beet Wagon posted:

It's actually more embarrassing than that, this is part of the statement that accompanied the poll:

lmao at claiming that they have 'crysis 3 functionality out of the box' however many years ago this was

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

I guarantee you not a single one of them received a death threat, citizens are just freewheeling trying to find some reason to justify CIG going the extra mile to piss in their eye while they poo poo in their mouths

One of the artists for a lovely f2p game I have for my commute received death threats over reducing the cleavage of a particularly well-endowed battleship, don't underestimate gamers. (she still has capital ship-level boobs but she's wearing a camisole now)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 5, 2022

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://giant.gfycat.com/RemarkableUnsungAxolotl.mp4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

quote:

If you get 400 million from players paid in advance and you get nothing done

This an example of a direct attack against developers who do take the time to read these forums in their own off time, it is not in any way shape or form constructive critique on game features, it is a direct accusation of malfeasance, it is so far from true it is a joke, it's the hyperbole of the hysterical - so much so the author of that comment has become a running joke in this forum.

They have built a multi-national company from the ground up giving many hundreds of people paying wages to support their families and have the type of project/work experience they always dreamed of doing (something the majority of the community is, and should be, immensely proud of). They have built a game engine virtually from the ground up while doing that they have a released playable product which continues to bring in many more players and supporters to ever higher record funding levels to build that thing we all asked them to build in the first place - something that had real longevity beyond this seasons bubble-gum release cycle, something that can grow and grow for as long as the gamers support it, a playable Alpha in continual development (playable and growing since 2013) all while working on a single player AAA title which takes the lions share of all resources.

"Nothing done"... seriously? I might remind anyone and everyone that the armchair developers and keyboard worriers have given this community absolutely nothing of any value beyond what many thousands of others have given in that same time period.

This poster (who really should go off and start his own development company given how wildly well informed he is) is typical of the attitude among a small minority of the community --> I don't understand it, I don't like it, it's not what I wanted therefore it is bad bad bad, and the team making that thing I don't like is bad bad bad, and lazy!

Example: All the comments and threads saying they don't want Squadron 42 and no money should be spent on it, or that money should be separate for both games (SMH) - you couldn't find a more stark way to show you really really don't understand what the hell is going on with this project than to make <there are too many put-down expletives to express!> comments like that.

Certain members of this community should really consider forming their own Org and enforcing a handle change to <Duh>Dunning-Kruger-000, <Duh>Dunning-Kruger-001, <Duh>Dunning-Kruger-002 etc.

quote:

I want you to imagine a scenario:
Someone decides to build a bird house in his garden to house the nesting chicks in his tree whose parents have flown off and left them to die. Everyday he has to go digging up the garden to collect worms so that he can drop dozens of little juicy morsels into the nest of hungry chicks, but he also knows winter is coming and those chicks will soon need the birdhouse completed, and the ground will be too frozen hard to get more and more worms as the chicks get bigger and hungrier.

The more the noisy impatient chicks demand constant feeding, the more likely they will freeze to death when winter comes, but they are only doing what they have been programmed to do, all they know is their nest and how small it seems to be getting the bigger they become.

It has been less than 8 months since we've been given:
Orison V1 and 2.
Crusader - a gas giant worthy of a thousand screenshots.
Planetary volumetric clouds.
Healing - medical revival and medical tools.
Hospitals and clinics throughout the PU.
Inventory management.
Several new ships and vehicles.
Dynamic events.
New missions.
New derelicts with puzzle missions.
HUD rework.
New gravlev model.
New armours, ship skins and weapons.
A whole load of other general improvements too.

It's time to let the hungry chicks wait for some time before their next worm they'll gulp down and almost immediately forget and concentrate on the bigger picture - a AAA game finally released that will fund expansion of the PU for years to come.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm I never thought about it that way. Maybe CIG is actually developing Star Citizen too quickly??

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Popete posted:

Hmmm I never thought about it that way. Maybe CIG is actually developing Star Citizen too quickly??

Star Citizen is a dish best served* cold.

*Server Meshing to be added later.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Citizen in its current form doesn't have any basic functional gameplay loops working. All player progress gets wiped with each update too.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Bumble He posted:

would you like to know more?

I would like to know more about the 7 ways of the samurai, but as I understand, you're not the one who can tell me about it?

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
if cig actually got death threats they would be tripping over themselves to openly declare that as an excuse to axe the roadmap. instead of, you know, telling the fans that they're jerks for expecting progress.

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

I said come in! posted:

Star Citizen in its current form doesn't have any basic functional gameplay loops working. All player progress gets wiped with each update too.

are you sure?
I think it's now every couple updates.

Progress i guess :airquote:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

So who are the parents that abandoned the backers in this allegory?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
So... Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator now has mod support...

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 5, 2022

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

FishMcCool posted:

Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator

This game looks interesting, for how long have you played it?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Groshlak posted:

This game looks interesting, for how long have you played it?

There's not much in it really, it's a tiny stockmarket+requests loop, with some special requests chaining up as longer quests leading to various endings. I have 4h clocked and I have seen most of it really. But the ludicrous premise and writing carries it, so no regrets. And that was before modding. :gary:

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

FishMcCool posted:

There's not much in it really, it's a tiny stockmarket+requests loop, with some special requests chaining up as longer quests leading to various endings. I have 4h clocked and I have seen most of it really. But the ludicrous premise and writing carries it, so no regrets. And that was before modding. :gary:

Thanks for your input! I think I'm gonna wait for a good sale. Looking forward to your mod eventually!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Groshlak posted:

Thanks for your input! I think I'm gonna wait for a good sale. Looking forward to your mod eventually!

It's on game pass.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

And this is from (I believe, it has been many years since I looked) the very next "Letter from the Chairman" following the poll:

Didnt someone discover that the poll was still active on the forums last year?

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
I'm not subscribed to Gamepass but thanks for the info, someone else probably is.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

economic body horror bundle? does it leak?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

staberind posted:

I'd have thought RimWorld would be part of an economic body horror bundle.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

staberind posted:

caves of qud loving rules btw

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Not sure why anyone would feel sad about the funding continuing to reach new heights. I want this scam to continue for as long as humanly possible, I want to see how deep the depravity of the backers can get. Give me another 5 years of this.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not sure why anyone would feel sad about the funding continuing to reach new heights. I want this scam to continue for as long as humanly possible, I want to see how deep the depravity of the backers can get. Give me another 5 years of this.

exactly. that's what Citizens don't get, we love SC and want it to keep going

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

monocle cat posted:

some drivel about hatchlings

We can safely add birds to this cat's encyclopedic lack of knowledge.

Also I wonder what a CIG game jam would be like...

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

marumaru posted:

caves of qud loving rules btw

Hey! Stop spreading QUD

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I am no psychic but I think you may be in luck

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are so many cool things that could have been done with this game and its premise. It really sucks that Chris Roberts decided to go the scam route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If you have have a spectrum account you can still vote in the scope creep poll.