Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling all my friends they have to move out now that I’m pregnant?

quote:

4 years ago my parents passed away in an accident. They left me everything including their 4 bedroom house that was almost completely paid off. At the time I was young and not financially responsible enough to pay off the full mortgage on my own so I let my then BF(now husband) and our friends and their partners move in. With 8 people paying rent we paid the rest of the mortgage off pretty quickly since we paid almost double the payment each month.

But now I am 27 years old and I’m ready to settle down. My husband and I found out I was pregnant about a month ago and after talking we decided it was time for everyone to move out so we can start our family.

We asked everyone to dinner tonight and made the announcement. At first everyone was so excited for us. They started talking about how much they would help with the baby and how much fun it was going to be to have a kid around. When everyone finally quieted down enough we told them we’d expect everyone to move out by the end of August. It was silent.

It then immediately erupted into a screaming match. Everyone speaking at once and some people claiming they won’t be leaving. I told them I gave them more then enough time to look for a place and one of them blatantly told me to go gently caress myself. After an hour of arguing and one by one everyone going to their rooms and slamming their doors loudly in our faces my husband and I just got in bed. We genuinely don’t know what to do and thought we gave them more then enough time and they would be more understanding. Are we the assholes?

Edit: just wanted to add that the mortgage was paid off 5 months ago but everyone still pays rent! Which is $250 per person. I should have probably said that. And they know the mortgage is paid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Mx. posted:

Love the comments where people don't seem to understand the concept of rent and think she needs to buy all of her friends out in order to kick them out.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

therobit posted:

Are we sure the roommate is autistic and not just a moron?

How dare you impugn the honor of the roommate's physician, Dr. Google?

The solution to this problem if firing the roommate into the sun is for some reason impossible is to make the filth goblin get his own fridge to store garbage in.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for explaining to my father and siblings the origin of the medical terms they use in front of me?

quote:

My father and siblings are all doctors. I’m the only one who’s opposite; I’m more interested in languages and literature. Because I know a minuscule amount of Ancient Greek and Latin, I’m sometimes able to spot the influences of those languages on the medical terms they use when they have conversations regarding patients or diseases. I connect the dots in my mind and explain to them the origin of the word and how it relates to the meaning of the medical term itself.

Now, my father acts somewhat amused, but my siblings are always dismissive. They say no one cares about word origins when the real world has moved far beyond these unnecessary details into the realm of practical problems. They tell me to start thinking about paying the bills instead of thinking about dead authors no one cares about. Just now my sister told me she’ll be sure to tell the next patient this “very important fact” when they’re on their last breath in front of her.

I know this may seem like a silly post but it’s really bothering me. Am I being inconsiderate here? Should I stop doing this?

comment posted:

Nah. Although, what you are doing sounds annoying if it is uncalled for, which it sounds like it is.

OP posted:

I will admit it’s always uncalled for, but I can’t control myself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

therobit posted:

Are we sure the roommate is autistic and not just a moron?

There can be overlap. Unfortunately common for autistic people- especially men- to be sheltered and never taught basic things or healthy habits. Combine autism with ADHD and frequent resulting trauma for some real fun times!

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
drat I love stories with a happy ending!

AITA for making my girlfriend pump her own gas?

quote:

Since me(28m) and my girlfriend(27f) started dating, any time she drove and had to get gas I would pump it for her. Well last week she took me to work because her car does better in the snow than mine. When she came to pick me up from work she was wearing pajamas which were shorts with a long sleeve button up, she even wore her house shoes. I was embarrassed for my coworkers to see her like that so when she stopped for gas to teach her a lesson I told her my back was sore and she could pump it. She said it was too cold and she wanted me to do it. She’s the moron that wore shorts. I stood my ground, she pumped her own gas, but wouldn’t talk to me during the drive. We pass a sushi place on our way home so I asked her to stop, she said no but I kept persisting and she finally said okay. She told me I would have to run in so I did, when I came out she had left. I told my brother because I needed a ride home, he gave me a ride home but said I was an rear end and I deserved it.

If there’s any interest I can update with what happened when I got home but it doesn’t seem super relevant to my question so I don’t see the need to add it.

Edit-Update:

First to answer questions: She pays for her own gas. She didn’t get out of the car but she doesn’t have tinted windows, and I didn’t expect her to dress up I did expect her to not look like a bum though.

I’m still reading comments so I’ll add stuff that gets asked a lot to this and I’ll try to respond to others.

Now for what happened when I got home:

We live in a fairly rural area and i work about 35-45 minutes away. Apparently my brother called my mom who then called my girlfriend and told her what I had said. This did include me calling her a moron and saying how embarrassed I was. When I got back home my girlfriend had moved all of my cloths and belongings into the “junk” room. I tried to talk to her but she locked herself in our room and ignored me. When I finally got her to talk to me she basically listed everything I’ve done wrong in our relationship.

This past week has been hell. She wouldn’t take me to work when it was snowing so I had to take myself and my car got stuck twice, I missed two days of work because of her pettiness. I really didn’t think I was the rear end in a top hat here, but I tried to justify and explain myself. I did admit I was trying to teach her a lesson and we broke up. When I got home from work she had all my belongings in boxes by the front door and I guess that’s that. I really didn’t think I was the rear end in a top hat, but obviously that’s why I posted here. Everybody that wanted us to break up got what they wanted.

I’m not sure if my update is too relationship based, so if it gets taken down I apologize.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Mx. posted:

AITA for throwing away my autistic roommate’s food after he repeatedly asked me not to?

I told him I need a fridge that doesn’t have a Pandora’s box full of diseases.

But did they throw out the Hope that was in the bottom of the vegetable crisper?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There can be overlap. Unfortunately common for autistic people- especially men- to be sheltered and never taught basic things or healthy habits. Combine autism with ADHD and frequent resulting trauma for some real fun times!

* Fun times may be gross or just overwhelmingly sad instead.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for explaining to my father and siblings the origin of the medical terms they use in front of me?

This feels like a weird riff on the "wordcel v. shape rotator" discourse that has been going on all month.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Mx. posted:

"I mean when everyone moved in I told them it wasn’t permanent but at the time I didn’t even plan to keep the house. There is no lease with my friends. And my name is the only one on any of the paperwork for the house and bills like water and electric."

The amount of people in the comments going 'gently caress six months, evict them now' are unnecessarily cruel. Goddamn. We're inside an endless pentatonicks, for crying out loud.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

This feels like a weird riff on the "wordcel v. shape rotator" discourse that has been going on all month.

I looked that up on know your meme and it's like listening to somebody speak some patois where you can pick out a word here or there but it's still incomprehensible.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Mx. posted:

I feel like the "we're having a baby!!" and the "you need to leave" conversations should probably not be held on the same night. Let your friends process things a little bit and then bring it up with each couple that you've been thinking about it and want this next stage of your life to only have you and your husband and the new baby at home. Or something. Anything even a little tactful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Solenna posted:

I feel like the "we're having a baby!!" and the "you need to leave" conversations should probably not be held on the same night. Let your friends process things a little bit and then bring it up with each couple that you've been thinking about it and want this next stage of your life to only have you and your husband and the new baby at home. Or something. Anything even a little tactful.

Especially since with that news, those of them with any sense are probably going to be making plans to leave on their own accord.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Solenna posted:

Nah, I mean it seems like something that they’d instantly connect the dots on anyway, because what kind of crazy people want to live in a house with a newborn baby that’s not theirs?

Also I think their problem is the $250 for rent, I’m guess that’s per month so probably a pretty good deal

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Especially since with that news, those of them with any sense are probably going to be making plans to leave on their own accord.

The part where op mentions "They started talking about how much they would help with the baby and how much fun it was going to be to have a kid around", it seems pretty clear that the friends were expecting this kind of communal living situation to carry on in perpetuity.

I know several people who had similar living situations where a friend group shared a large house, in different groups and different houses. One thing they all had in common was that there always seemed to be at least a couple of folks in the groups who honestly thought that the situation would be (or could be) permanent and that they could live like that for the next 40-60 years. There were also a large number of them who maybe didn't think that explicitly, but also never planned for what would be next and ended up having a rough go of it once someone married or moved out of state or had some other major life change that meant the group situation was no longer sustainable.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Seth Pecksniff posted:

How the hell do you use a slur and then turn around and say "oh didn't mean it like that!"

Even better, it was

*uses slur*
"No, I didn't mean it like that, I just used the slur as a shorthand for *racist stereotype usually associated with the group the slur was directed against*!"

Like that wouldn't make it even worse?

(I was trying to find a suitable white-person equivalent to use here, but unfortunately all of those are actually based on people's actions instead of lovely stereotypes, so using Karen or TERF doesn't work. Weirdest thing, huh?)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LanceHunter posted:

The part where op mentions "They started talking about how much they would help with the baby and how much fun it was going to be to have a kid around", it seems pretty clear that the friends were expecting this kind of communal living situation to carry on in perpetuity.

I know several people who had similar living situations where a friend group shared a large house, in different groups and different houses. One thing they all had in common was that there always seemed to be at least a couple of folks in the groups who honestly thought that the situation would be (or could be) permanent and that they could live like that for the next 40-60 years. There were also a large number of them who maybe didn't think that explicitly, but also never planned for what would be next and ended up having a rough go of it once someone married or moved out of state or had some other major life change that meant the group situation was no longer sustainable.

I hope I'm not being all :biotruths:, but we did sort of evolve to function as tribes, so it's not surprising that some people would enjoy that situation.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Evil Willow posted:

drat I love stories with a happy ending!

AITA for making my girlfriend pump her own gas?
"She wouldn’t take me to work when it was snowing so I had to take myself and my car got stuck twice, I missed two days of work because of her pettiness." I still don't know what this means. Is the OP a worse driver than his girlfriend? Was she supposed to make it not snow? Anyway, what a jerk.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Cloacamazing! posted:

(I was trying to find a suitable white-person equivalent to use here, but unfortunately all of those are actually based on people's actions instead of lovely stereotypes, so using Karen or TERF doesn't work. Weirdest thing, huh?)

There is no such term. The closest you can get (in terms of how upset a white person will be to hear it) is "racist." And once more, obviously, it describes actual actions, not false stereotypes.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

trickybiscuits posted:

"She wouldn’t take me to work when it was snowing so I had to take myself and my car got stuck twice, I missed two days of work because of her pettiness." I still don't know what this means. Is the OP a worse driver than his girlfriend? Was she supposed to make it not snow? Anyway, what a jerk.
OP has a lovely car, GF has a better car that can deal with the snow. "she took me to work because her car does better in the snow than mine"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Whoopi said the Holocaust wasn't about race and apologized directly when called out on it, which is pretty :raise: but at least better than just tossing a slur out there.

She apologised after she got suspended from the show and her paycheque was in jeopardy

https://twitter.com/neoconremover/s...ingawful.com%2F

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh! So the other lines are the arms of his glasses and the circle is his mouth and it's a face. I had always thought it was a ticket and couldn't figure out how it mapped to goonsay. Thanks for the further explanation.

I always viewed it as being like Bibendum

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

She apologised after she got suspended from the show and her paycheque was in jeopardy

https://twitter.com/neoconremover/s...ingawful.com%2F

friendship ended with sister act the movie. now sister act the broadway musical is my best friend

e: jfc at the responses to that tweet. that tweet's from an alt-right lunatic

Mx. fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 5, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

LanceHunter posted:

Do... do you guys not have collectives? When one person/couple moves out, another moves in. If it's one with space for kids, you always have a babysitter if you need one, and all the hand-me-downs you could want. Basically everyone I know either lives with a partner and kids, or in a collective.

Not that OP in that post should do that; eight people in a four-bedroom house does not leave room for kids, but it's very much a thing when people actually plan for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Do... do you guys not have collectives? When one person/couple moves out, another moves in. If it's one with space for kids, you always have a babysitter if you need one, and all the hand-me-downs you could want. Basically everyone I know either lives with a partner and kids, or in a collective.

Not that OP in that post should do that; eight people in a four-bedroom house does not leave room for kids, but it's very much a thing when people actually plan for it.

The nuclear family and resulting atomisation and alienation really hosed people up.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What country are you in?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
They should all chip in together to buy an old mansion or hotel, and raise a hundred kids in a big weird poly commune.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

See this is why I built a tulou, so everyone I was friends with could live in a collective house for the simple agreement they all agree to me as head of the clan and that in times of war I can muster their children for defense.

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

Wait thats supposed to be a face with glasses???

I always thought it was like a gang or swarm of goons huddled together, all speaking the same terrible opinion. A goonmind, if you will.

Do all of the siblings' suggestions. More gifts mean she really cares about them

I've always seen it as a weird bus. And then just ignored the weird bus

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA, my girlfriend has a demon dog

quote:

my girlfriend 27f has a dog. i am 30m and before we get into it, this dog is ridiculously well trained. it sits, stays, rolls over, you name it and also knows commands in both english and her native lithuanian (tiny country in europe, she is fully american and english is her first language). it isnt destructive or dirty, she takes him to the groomer regularly. sometimes i doubt its a dog. the problem is that he's always around. my girlfriend works from home so she's constantly with him and she refuses to go out for longer than a few hours without finding him a "sitter" like he's a human child. when she's working he'll just sit or lay under her desk and she'll occasionally reward him with affection or the last bite of whatever she's eating just for sitting there. when she sleeps, he either sleeps right against her legs or under her arm. if she gets up, he follows her. out of the house too, and he never wants to give up shotgun, she has to order him into the back of the car and buckle him into his seatbelt! a dog seatbelt! he will also just leap into her arms while she's lounging and snuggle into her. this is not a small dog, he's literally half the size of her but she isnt bothered at all.

i feel like it would be different if he was affectionate with me but it seems like he'll go from snuggling into her hand to death glaring me. from under the desk, across the room, even over her body while she's sleeping. when asked about this, she confessed she'd TRAINED THE DOG TO ATTACK MEN. she assured me it was just aggressive men and advised me not to yell at her. she didnt seem to see a problem with this and i understand why she wouldnt but i do. its a dog! trained to bite people?! its like living in a black mirror episode.

we've been together for about 6 months but i dont know if i can handle this third party. i asked her if she could train it to like me more (i know she could, the thing can open doors and she says it doesnt bark because she "doesnt like the noise") or get rid of it. it doesnt even look at me when i call its name, it just looks at her like its asking for permission to hit the permanent delete button. she got ridiculously mad at me and told me that her dog wasnt for me, it was for her and if i hated him so much, i could go.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Mx. posted:

AITA, my girlfriend has a demon dog

Did this guy not know about Lithuania before dating his girlfriend? And yeah, dudes an rear end. oh no, my gf's dog is incredibly well behaved and clean. what a dweeb

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Personally I wouldn't want to live with/date someone who has a dog that is hostile to me, and who doesn't want to train the dog to not be hostile to me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

TK8325 posted:

Did this guy not know about Lithuania before dating his girlfriend? And yeah, dudes an rear end. oh no, my gf's dog is incredibly well behaved and clean. what a dweeb

Imo I wouldn't want to live with a dog explicitly trained to see me as a threat either.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Lithuania: it’s an actual place, and not where dr doom is from

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TK8325 posted:

Hmm yes, can't imagine why someone would be uncomfortable around a dog that looks like it's constantly on the brink of attacking them. "It's fine, just don't ever argue with me or raise your voice in general or the dog might try to kill you."

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

TK8325 posted:

? And yeah, dudes an rear end. oh no, my gf's dog is incredibly well behaved and clean. what a dweeb

Did you even read the post?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The OP is very bad a structuring the post. The post is meant to be: this dog hates me and is looking at me like a threat non stop, also it's well trained so obviously she could make him be more accepting of me. But the way it's written is: Listen to me describe my GF's super cool amazing and well trained dog. oh and it wants to kill me. So anyway this cool dog my GF loves, why doesn't she make him like me or get rid of it or something.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

The_Franz posted:

Hmm yes, can't imagine why someone would be uncomfortable around a dog that looks like it's constantly on the brink of attacking them. "It's fine, just don't ever argue with me or raise your voice in general or the dog might try to kill you."

I've only been dating this girl for 6 months and I don't even live with her why doesn't her dog accept me? It just stares at me and who knows what it's thinking. She should just get rid of it.

Edit: it's a dog, keep some small treats in your pocket and give it one every time you see it and it'll be your best friend in a day or two.

TK8325 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 5, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

There does seem to be a theme of arseholes who think that their significant other might just get rid of a beloved animal if it's at all inconvenient to them. I also noticed a theme in posts from the other side of the dispute where pressing the issue of "it's me or the animal" has not gone so well for the person that underestimated their partner's affection for their pre-existing pet.

Reminds me of when my last dog had cancer and my partner wanted the day off so we could take him for a biopsy - her manager said no, as though that was going to make any difference.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Terribly sorry to 'do a Kramer' as you USAtanians say.

Does anyone remember when that redditor bought an account to take credit for writing a lot of the really controversial/ridiculous stories here? Had a link to his creative writing site and stuff. I think dog heelies was one at least but there were others, some that were thread favorites.

I'm trying to find the posts but i think it could have been over 6 months ago, in a previous thread incarnation. Anyone remember what I'm talking about, when more exactly it was, or the guys username? Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Barudak posted:

See this is why I built a tulou, so everyone I was friends with could live in a collective house for the simple agreement they all agree to me as head of the clan and that in times of war I can muster their children for defense.

As long as it's traditional rammed earth, you can have my 3 giant-sized children.