Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If there's ever a Season 2 of Murderville they should get Dick the Birthday Boy on as Space Cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Watching Nobody on HBO

I'm so disappointed that it's just John Wick. I was really hoping that between Odenkirk and the fact it's filed under comedy that they'd be kinda spoofing the subgenre.

Like imagine a movie that starts the same way as Nobody / John Wick / Taken / etc., but instead of the elite top assassin or whatever the guy really is just some schmuck and it keeps escalating to where he's, with just a bit of cleverness and luck, haphazardly killing his way through the Russian mob.

If you haven't seen it, I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore has a premise basically along those lines, albeit on a smaller scale. A woman comes home to find her house has been burglarized. She and her weirdly intense goober of a neighbour decide that, since the police won't help, they need to track down the thieves themselves and get her stuff back. They proceed to bumble their way up through the ranks as they break up a petty crime ring, despite being pretty hopelessly out of their depth even with the relatively low stakes.

I thought it was great, but admittedly I'm a sucker for all the weird little movies Elijah Wood makes now that he's got forever money from LOTR and can just do whatever he wants.

Dr. Thoss fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 5, 2022

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I tried watching the original British show it's based on and it would be good but it has a ghastly additional gimmick where all the suspects are terrible impressions of British celebrities. What a nightmare

that sounds terrible

imagine if they did that for this show, will arnett teaming up with conan and kingo impersonators

hmm actually I'd watch that

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Like imagine a movie that starts the same way as Nobody / John Wick / Taken / etc., but instead of the elite top assassin or whatever the guy really is just some schmuck and it keeps escalating to where he's, with just a bit of cleverness and luck, haphazardly killing his way through the Russian mob.

Well... A bit lower stakes but Blue Ruin might fit the bill. Also Green Room.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Master and Commander whips all the rear end and everyone should be watching it.

Saw it for the first time last week. What a great flick.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

“Yeah Russel just stand looking sexy on the bow of this enormous ship and we’ll fly a helicopter past you and it’ll be cool as gently caress”

“Word”

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

yes it's called breaking bad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jsoh posted:

yes it's called breaking bad

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Master and Commander owns so goddamn hard. It's like...an actual movie y'kno?

Shame that they had to change the enemy ship to French because we can't have Americans as baddies / losers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mozi posted:

i tried peacemaker and i gotta say it's by far the best comic book thing i've watched in a long time. i don't know jack about any of the characters and i've never watched either suicide squad. but it's good. i like the song

You know I had a thought and it's gonna be really funny if John Cena continues picking good projects and ends up stealing the "modern arnold" title from the rock because at this point he sure as hell is a lot closer to it i feel

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Unless it's a Chinese movie lol

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Galewolf posted:

we can't have Americans as baddies / losers

People go to the movies to escape reality.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

They're going to announce a remake of master and commander within 5 years. Screenshot this post

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

kalel posted:

They're going to announce a remake of master and commander within 5 years. Screenshot this post

I kinda doubt it. Americans don't like boats like they used to

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kalel posted:

There’s a prequel in dev with different cast

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know I had a thought and it's gonna be really funny if John Cena continues picking good projects and ends up stealing the "modern arnold" title from the rock because at this point he sure as hell is a lot closer to it i feel

The classroom scene in ep6 was giving me big Arnie vibes

Very funny. Kids asking awkward questions is always comedy gold

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There’s a prequel in dev with different cast

gently caress

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

should have made it a seaboot

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I hope WB has the good sense to end the Peacemaker show in one season. At least end the butterfly arc and don't run it into the ground like every loving stream show.

Is the KKK supervillain actually a thing in the comic?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kalel posted:

can someone give me an example of nepotism gone right? talentless hacks like Tom hooper, Alex kurtzman and Sofia coppola give me diarrhea but maybe there's at least one example of family connections allowing an actual artist to thrive

Nick cage doesn't count because he changed his name and deliberately distanced himself from his heritage (allegedly)

Isn't one of Tom Hanks's kids supposed to be good actor?

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

stephenthinkpad posted:

I hope WB has the good sense to end the Peacemaker show in one season. At least end the butterfly arc and don't run it into the ground like every loving stream show.
You better name that vagina Dhalsim, cause that shits about to get stretched out.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Looks like Jonas Akerlund (of Polar "fame" lmao) shot a Clark Oloffson series with Bill Skarsgard (in Swedish, no less! I love that subtitle poo poo, right into my veins).

It actually looks...good-ish. Maybe it's a good trailer editing but might actually watch this

https://youtu.be/Vd0K82Y73Tw

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hot Shots was pretty good

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Breaking

new

ground

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1489262054896635905

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

who cares

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol. What is this, Crisis on Infinite Cinematic Universes?

Now Sony has an MCU too?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
a madame web movie? looking forward to some intense chair sitting action

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

yes but only for anything spiderman related

is sony making a streaming service? cause if paramount can leverage star trek into a thousand different shows im surprised sony hasnt made a bunch based off nothing but all the characters in the spiderverse

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

So after all the positive reviews I finally got around to seeing the first few episodes of Peacemaker…

And it’s really good! Another James Gunn hit where you’re like “how did he get away with making this?”

“Mr. Gunn, many people have described your cape movies as a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?”

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tiberius Christ posted:

yes but only for anything spiderman related

And X-Men and I think maybe Fantastic Four too

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Gunn sure loves killing huge groups of people in his films!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Ultimate Fantastic Four is the only regular superhero comic book series I've ever read. no i don't know why

but it does make me sad that we have all this drat CGI everywhere and we still can't get a loving half decent (by superhero standards) movie w/ the stretch super power. they even changed that one upcoming show to have the main character's power be generic energy beams instead. Lmfao. Ms marvel?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Probably not a thing you can do without it looking goofy as gently caress.

Since these superhero movies are all deathly afraid of not being taken seriously, they won't commit to it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Could you imagine if these characters based on children's funny books did something humorous or lighthearted?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Ultimate Fantastic Four is the only regular superhero comic book series I've ever read. no i don't know why

Man you picked a real stinker!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Man you picked a real stinker!

I read Watchmen and most of The Boys that same time too lol

Anyway I'm waiting for a few generations from now of color e-ink at which point I will buy the largest one possible and pirate 30 years of comics I've wanted to read. :q:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

AARD VARKMAN posted:

but it does make me sad that we have all this drat CGI everywhere and we still can't get a loving half decent (by superhero standards) movie w/ the stretch super power. they even changed that one upcoming show to have the main character's power be generic energy beams instead. Lmfao. Ms marvel?

don't worry, I'm sure the netflix live action one piece show will solve the problem of stretch powers looking terrible

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Anyway I'm waiting for a few generations from now of color e-ink at which point I will buy the largest one possible and pirate 30 years of comics I've wanted to read. :q:

lol just get an iPad , I read all my comics on it and it’s great

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Stink Billyums posted:

don't worry, I'm sure the netflix live action one piece show will solve the problem of stretch powers looking terrible

I watched the first like, 70 episodes of that anime, which is the equivalent of saying "I watched the first episode" and I expect the love action show to end up being one of the worst things ever put to film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Stretch powers look gross when photoreal people use them. It's like their superpower is "bodyhorror"