Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

maniacripper posted:

I would trade my pre-nerf Missouri for Smalland :( I'm such a dumbfuck for not cashing in the freexp when I had the chance.

Småland was kinda weirdly slept on in the first few months after release. I think people just took Flamu's word for it when he said it was gimmicky and couldn't do anything but hunt DD's. Ragnar is about as OP though but harder to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Flamu has got it wrong on a few ships. He was lukewarm on Smaland and Marceau initially, and even Thunderer which he most recently rated as S tier, wasn’t exactly a glowing recommendation on his first review.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Back when the Smaland was still available for Free XP I was grinding for it, but I was so burned out on the game back then that I didn't think I'd ever play it again, and didn't see much point in pushing through the grind.

I kind of regret it but I guess I can live.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I was thinking of picking up the Marceau but I'm afraid that I'm going to be really bad at french DDs. I also don't have all the special captains yet, so I might be better off picking up the OP russian guy instead.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Flamu has got it wrong on a few ships. He was lukewarm on Smaland and Marceau initially, and even Thunderer which he most recently rated as S tier, wasn’t exactly a glowing recommendation on his first review.

His review of the Puerto Rico wasn't all that thrilling either. Granted, I wasn't as well since you have battleship like dispersion on a cruiser. So a super Alaska but with god awful dispersion yet is considered amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Big McHuge posted:

I was thinking of picking up the Marceau but I'm afraid that I'm going to be really bad at french DDs. I also don't have all the special captains yet, so I might be better off picking up the OP russian guy instead.

Yeah, Kuznetsov is an immediate force multiplier for any Soviet ship and is honestly broken.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Back when the Smaland was still available for Free XP I was grinding for it, but I was so burned out on the game back then that I didn't think I'd ever play it again, and didn't see much point in pushing through the grind.

You don't 'need' Smaland for anything except ranked and even in that context there are other turbo-DDs you can main.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

JuffoWup posted:

His review of the Puerto Rico wasn't all that thrilling either. Granted, I wasn't as well since you have battleship like dispersion on a cruiser. So a super Alaska but with god awful dispersion yet is considered amazing.

It’s not amazing, it did see limited use in competitive though but not really anymore. It’s not a bad ship though. Basically nothing with improved American AP angles is bad.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Big McHuge posted:

The Russian captain is badly overrated, everyone looks at the free heal and decides it must be the best captain ignoring that the bonus does nothing in games where you don't die. It doesn't really change how you play the game either, since you only get the free heal if you're about to die which is something you don't want to happen (unless the game is about to end anyway). It's obviously still better than a normal captain, but coal is limited and you can also buy things that are actually unique with it, like the Marceau.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

James Garfield posted:

The Russian captain is badly overrated, everyone looks at the free heal and decides it must be the best captain ignoring that the bonus does nothing in games where you don't die. It doesn't really change how you play the game either, since you only get the free heal if you're about to die which is something you don't want to happen (unless the game is about to end anyway). It's obviously still better than a normal captain, but coal is limited and you can also buy things that are actually unique with it, like the Marceau.

I think what He does is free people from the shackles of being over cautious. So many games are lost by players just no pushing when they could but with him they can take risks, which are rarely as risky as they think they are .

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't totally disagree but a lot of the risks in this game are of the binary form "if you do it you die, if you don't do it you don't die," so he doesn't help that much with risk taking.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Jokes on everyone the absolute best Kremlin build is 2-heal Legendary Module Furious Secondaries Run It Down Build

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/846744779576180785/889572711838404618/WaNZjEFYP.mp4

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

James Garfield posted:

So what are the qualities of the Marceau that separate it from the other high tier french DDs? I've seen people saying it's the best coal ship at the moment, but why is that?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Big McHuge posted:

So what are the qualities of the Marceau that separate it from the other high tier french DDs? I've seen people saying it's the best coal ship at the moment, but why is that?

Best at what is the operative thing. Marceau is extremely fast (55 knots I believe) with speed boost, while also stealthier than Kleber and with higher sustained gunpower. It loses torp speed, shell velocity, and torp reload by comparison to Kleber, and can’t do much with AP vs cruisers, but it is a hard ship to hit that is outstanding at farming HE damage, ambushing dds, and repositioning.

But for things like ranked I put it below the Kleber, Smaland, Ragnar, and maybe Daring/Shima simply because the Kleb is better in smaller games and cap control is pretty important too.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Marceau is also able to island camp spam a horrific amount of HE DPS with floaty shells if the state of the game calls for it. Having actual AA is good too so CV's will generally stay away. If you stay at mid to longer range from a Marceau it'll struggle to hit you, unlike a Kleber which kind of murders things at any range.

It's a very active and skill dependent ship, for good players it's definitely the best coal ship right now but if you already bounced off the French DD line it's not going to change your feelings.

Playing against a good Marceau is a nightmare because you will very rarely out-maneuver it due to the speed it can reposition along with french damage saturation. At best you may be able to force them into a position where they'll just run you down at 55knts and suicide torp you.

masterpine fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 6, 2022

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

HiroProtagonist posted:

i still think this is funny

we won this match and i got the penultimate kill

i see this

Bit late to catch this, but lol I ran into this same guy and he accused me of throwing the game because my Repulse got killed by a T8 carrier and we lost as a result. Nevermind that I was top player on our team.

Guy is extremely salty.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Same

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Cyclones Man
https://streamable.com/gmhw9o

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Wow this guy's account stats are perfect for sending angry PMs also gently caress CV players

:911:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

TheFluff posted:

Småland was kinda weirdly slept on in the first few months after release. I think people just took Flamu's word for it when he said it was gimmicky and couldn't do anything but hunt DD's. Ragnar is about as OP though but harder to get.

Every time I encounter a Smalland in ranked they always seem like the person having the most awesome time out of everyone.
That's why I'm grinding steel for Ragnar right now, is there an easy way to get it without playing clan battles?

On another note is there a decent place thay agregates information about missions, challenges,and all the other random poo poo this game throws at you via website, twitch, ingame gui, etc...? There's always like 100 missions and random poo poo rewarded and armory changes, etc... And it feels like the official forums arent really that great for distilling the daily goings on and I get more of that here but it just seems like doing a daily quest just to find out WTF to do first every day. Like mmo champion, or diablofans, etc....

I mainly just log in and play a few ranked games in my secondary Megatron stallion kurfurst, and my gearing.

I pretty much stopped grinding lines and need a reason to start doing other poo poo

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 7, 2022

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Other ways to get steel - keep hold of your T8 & T9 ships for the snowflake event at Christmas. Most dockyards also award steel for 1 stage, and if you want to whale it, even just buying the larger starter pack (typically 10 stages instead of the minimum 4), those extra 6 stages you complete at the end after you completed the Dockyard will award perhaps 250 steel each.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Seriously, why would anyone play any BB other than Satsuma

Also

https://streamable.com/4sogea

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I am not even as good as the real top tier players but I can crank out 176k *average* damage in it lol. Satsuma is truly disgusting.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat, French DDs are FUN. I dug my Guepard out of the mothball fleet and had a blast. Is the rest of the line fun?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Very. One of the most engaging DD lines imo.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

God drat, French DDs are FUN. I dug my Guepard out of the mothball fleet and had a blast. Is the rest of the line fun?

This is literally the greatest game of World of Warships ever played, and it was in Kleber

https://twitch.tv/videos/561511158

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

toadee posted:

Eventually you get the supership bundle which lets you play them for 6 days.

Hope you don't like your PR:

For reference, the Satsuma leaderboard:

Theres some absolute top tier names on this list. Just phenomenal stuff.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

They're nerfing the Admiral Nakhimov.

By lowering the number of planes in the skip bomber squad from 8 to 7. Now, if you were a WG dev who didn't understand anything about the game but were an avid spreadsheet enjoyer, you might think a drop of 12,5% damage is significant.

But if you'd ever played Soviet skip bombers, you'd know that even with the smaller squadrons of the Pobeda or Chkalov, unless you're literally attacking the longest botes in the world, you'll practically never manage to land all the bombs because the aiming reticle is so wide. All 8 bombs? Forget about it. So in reality this "nerf" doesn't really nerf anything, and in fact helps the Nakhimov retain planes because you're losing less on attacking runs.

A++.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I am in a clan of two. Me and a goon who hasn’t played in about two years.

I am wondering about steel. I don’t think I am good enough for anyone to bring me along as a mercenary to clan battles, so I am wondering… I haven’t seriously played ranked in awhile…

How many seasons would it take me exactly to earn enough steel for a worthwhile steel ship?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

ZombieLenin posted:

So I am in a clan of two. Me and a goon who hasn’t played in about two years.

I am wondering about steel. I don’t think I am good enough for anyone to bring me along as a mercenary to clan battles, so I am wondering… I haven’t seriously played ranked in awhile…

How many seasons would it take me exactly to earn enough steel for a worthwhile steel ship?

Each two weeks of ranked you can get 1000 steel from gold tier ranked. Bronze is probably 600. Every two weeks it resets to whatever level you got to, so the ideal case is getting bronze -> gold the first session, then repeating gold, for probably 2400 + 1000 steel every two weeks after the reset. I’d say the annual yield is approximately 30,000 steel from ranked overall, and most ships are 20-30k.

At this point it seems unlikely BOATC or GOON or whatever the euro clan is gets competitive teams going, I’d say folks should find non-repugnant competitive clans if they want to do that. Although I’m obviously biased since I did that two years ago myself…

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

toadee posted:

This is literally the greatest game of World of Warships ever played, and it was in Kleber

https://twitch.tv/videos/561511158

What is crazy about that is he was in the open for minutes, and 3 of the ships just kinda watched him drive up to them.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
French DD line was really clicking with me the past few days. But what the hell is this concealment range on the Mogador? 7.5km? for a DD that's like being spotted from space. Does the Kleber get better concealment?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Big McHuge posted:

French DD line was really clicking with me the past few days. But what the hell is this concealment range on the Mogador? 7.5km? for a DD that's like being spotted from space. Does the Kleber get better concealment?

Nope! And it doesn’t matter at all. Kleber and Mogador are ships that don’t really need concealment, because either you’re speed boosting into a known dd position and you’re going to kill it, or you’re farming damage and being a boss. You still outspot any cruisers.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Big McHuge posted:

I think the concealment one the Khab, which is like the French DDs in every way just worse, with a concealment build captain and the concealment mod is around 7.8km.

But don’t worry, wargaming’s spreadsheets say the Khab is fine. While I still use my Khab from time to time, I’m glad they’re replacing it next patch to be perfectly honest.

Edit

The Khab gets smoke I suppose, which I guess justifies it being a shittier Kleber?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 7, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Folks we gotta post fast to get off this page ASAP.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

General Battuta posted:

Folks we gotta post fast to get off this page ASAP.

Agreed

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Now that I've posted on this page the situation has gotten that much more dire.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
This is the kind of thing that the WOWS server wouldn't catch in their filters.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

More something they'd look to promote in the NA office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I’d get chat banned for calling this page a gnatzi.