Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Goldust Mysteries was so stupid and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

bartok posted:

Wasn't there a rumor that 2K was looking to add a ton of microtransactions similar to how they ruined the NBA2K series?

Pretty positive the myStable gimmick in 2k22 is like those fifa and UFC's roster builder card games so yeah

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Have you heard of The National E-Wrestling Day?
Well, amusingly it's actually held over three days this year. It's a celebration of all things involving video game wrestling. I have two showcases in it this year and there's plenty of other stuff. Why don't you come and hang out to see what the e-fedding community got. It starts at the top of the hour.
https://twitch.tv/armbarerrorsociety

E: It's over... for today. Tomorrow at the same time there's more.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 5, 2022

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
It's been long enough since I've played an old wrestling game that I feel like doing so, especially since Deadlock is always talking about it. What's a good one to go back to? Something with a good career mode that doesn't have insane load times preferably.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
IMO WWE 2k13/14 were the last big releases worthwhile. Each have pretty good story modes.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I don't think either WWE 13 or 2k14 had story modes. Unless I'm really misremembering them.
iirc they only had showcases. One of them for the Attitude Era the other for Wrestlemania and they both kinda... uh... yeah, I don't really care for any of these history lessuns. Let me make a CAW and give them a story. Ideally in the vein of Shut Your Mouth or Here Comes the Pain.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked the 2k20 story mode. Shame about literally everything else about the game. (the new day intros to the dlc were also good)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

2019's story was fun, I liked that it leaned hard into the WTFery with the Broken Matt bits.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Yuke's understood that NewLegacy was basically the primary vector for promoting their games once it became clear that they either didn't have the resources to meaningfully improve them or they were incapable of doing so as a studio due to competence issues (probably both), so their last few really leaned into absurdity. 2k19 had the story mode but they also concentrated their CAW expansions that year on sillier poo poo / stuff that you could reasonably use to create Sonic the Hedgehog. 2k20 went deeper with stuff like "cosmic horror" as a ringside weapon but at that point the state of the code was so bad that it didn't matter.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

2k20 was made by Visual Concepts, not Yuke's

Yuke's literly quit the franchise because they felt like having to pump out a yearly WWE game was ruining their reputation

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

My memory might be failing me but I think Yuke's got kicked out mid-development and Visual Concepts took over.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yuke's said they were making another wrestling game because they wanted to try some new concepts instead of just doing slight updates to WWE 2k and WWE pulled them from the project mid-development.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

IGgy IGsen posted:

I don't think either WWE 13 or 2k14 had story modes. Unless I'm really misremembering them.
iirc they only had showcases. One of them for the Attitude Era the other for Wrestlemania and they both kinda... uh... yeah, I don't really care for any of these history lessuns. Let me make a CAW and give them a story. Ideally in the vein of Shut Your Mouth or Here Comes the Pain.

Oh for fictional story I’d go all the back to like 2007 when the magic wand turned your character into a woman. Honestly the Monday Night Wars in 2k13 was the best narrative experience I can remember since the GOAT Here Comes the Pain.

Pretty sad that given free reign (arguably) to go hog wild Yuke’s couldn’t come up with anything close to reality since the PS2.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Pylons posted:

Yuke's said they were making another wrestling game because they wanted to try some new concepts instead of just doing slight updates to WWE 2k and WWE pulled them from the project mid-development.
As consumers we get sick of companies' poo poo when they put out poor product while pretending that everything is fine, but they typically do that for a reason; when Dominos runs TV ads saying "yes our pizza was poo poo, but we're doing our best to improve it, please give us a chance", or Yuke's publicly states that they're working on an non-commissioned project with the stated purpose of making something better than what they are being ostensibly paid to make, that's the end product of apocalyptic business-side poo poo that the consumer doesn't see, it's not the beginning.

That is to say, when Yuke's publicly announced their "internal competitor" to the 2K games, that was them distancing themselves from the work they'd done for 2K while not-so-subtly hinting that they have significant work put in on a project that's actually good and is, wouldn't you know it, just waiting for a publisher to buy the rights and make money off it. That would never happen if the 2K relationship wasn't already dead, if they didn't know for certain that 2K was going to drop them one way or the other.*

*The other possibility is that Yuke's management was so incompetent that they couldn't foresee 2K's reaction to the public comments, which would make them the TNA of game developers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fly Ricky posted:

Oh for fictional story I’d go all the back to like 2007 when the magic wand turned your character into a woman. Honestly the Monday Night Wars in 2k13 was the best narrative experience I can remember since the GOAT Here Comes the Pain.

Pretty sad that given free reign (arguably) to go hog wild Yuke’s couldn’t come up with anything close to reality since the PS2.

I find it frustrating that cool things they had on the PS3 versions (Create A Story, Create A Move) they removed and never put back in on the PS4 versions

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Basic Chunnel posted:

As consumers we get sick of companies' poo poo when they put out poor product while pretending that everything is fine, but they typically do that for a reason; when Dominos runs TV ads saying "yes our pizza was poo poo, but we're doing our best to improve it, please give us a chance", or Yuke's publicly states that they're working on an non-commissioned project with the stated purpose of making something better than what they are being ostensibly paid to make, that's the end product of apocalyptic business-side poo poo that the consumer doesn't see, it's not the beginning.

Blaming everything on Yukes is a bit unfair when you remember it's WWE they're working for, where they were given a hard 1 year deadline to make each game (which given things like marketing and physical media production means they probably had like 9 months at best to actually make the game), the fact that at any moment WWE might fire half their roster and force them to rewrite the whole game, and reportedly WWE would slash their budget every single year no matter how good or bad the games were and at some point it literally doesn't matter how good or bad your studio is, there's just no way to make a good game at a certain point.

Frankly even if 2k22 comes out and is good or at least decent? Probably the same thing'll happen cause they'll get thrown right back on the yearly grind after that and they'll just slowly get worse and worse again until that deal falls apart too.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

There's also a lot of misinformation going around regarding the departure of Yuke's from 2k. Truth be told, the best we have is hearsay. The most we got anyone to talk about it was 2k who claimed that they let Yuke's let go due to what can best be described as creative friction. 2k seemed to have demanded features found in other games they published. They never said what those were but I'm guessing at least one of those were microtransactions because that was just a thing that started finding its way into games in a really aggressive way a few years earlier. I never played a different 2k sports game so I don't know what kind of other features they have that they might have wanted to translate into their wrestling game.

I don't think Yuke's themselves said anything aside from "we're also working on another game" (Battlegrounds, many assume, but could also be something of their own that is now turning into the AEW game, most likely) shortly before 2k and Yuke's split.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

IGgy IGsen posted:

Battlegrounds, many assume
Battlegrounds was made by an entirely different studio, Saber Interactive, with an entirely different engine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IGgy IGsen posted:

There's also a lot of misinformation going around regarding the departure of Yuke's from 2k. Truth be told, the best we have is hearsay. The most we got anyone to talk about it was 2k who claimed that they let Yuke's let go due to what can best be described as creative friction. 2k seemed to have demanded features found in other games they published. They never said what those were but I'm guessing at least one of those were microtransactions because that was just a thing that started finding its way into games in a really aggressive way a few years earlier. I never played a different 2k sports game so I don't know what kind of other features they have that they might have wanted to translate into their wrestling game.

I don't think Yuke's themselves said anything aside from "we're also working on another game" (Battlegrounds, many assume, but could also be something of their own that is now turning into the AEW game, most likely) shortly before 2k and Yuke's split.

2K Sports games (not that there are very many of them, not since they lost the NFL and MLB licenses) have relied heavily upon microtransactions since, I think, 2012? It wouldn't be surprising in the slightest if they were pushing on Yuke's to include more microtransactions and season passes and whatnot (which are a huge component of the NBA 2K games, have been since '12 or '13). 2K Sports is very proud of how it took EA's Ultimate Team mode from the Madden series and then expanded it into a huge ancillary moneymaker with the NBA franchise.

Also, Yuke's needed a break from the yearly WWE churn and turned out the two Earth Defense Force games and has been working very slowly and deliberately on the AEW game. That being said, what little footage we've seen makes it rather clear they're still building the AEW game with an iteration of the WWE 2K engine, so the game's ability to actually be, y'know, good is very much an open question.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Its February Kenny, you have been off all month where is my aew wrestling game?!?!!!

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
This looks really cool!

https://t.co/OLAfdwhe2g

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
lmao the latest teaser has a glitch in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaC6Jk1CNOk

bartok
May 10, 2006

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

lmao the latest teaser has a glitch in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaC6Jk1CNOk

LOL they pulled it. Should have left it up and tried to appeal to the New Legacy fan base.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Noooooo what was it?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://twitter.com/CanineGoodNight/status/1491944823296651267

The trailer was straight up missing a clip and it cuts to a media offline splash screen.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this is gonna kick rear end

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sick chokeslam

https://twitter.com/ESCALANTE184/status/1492592940241375239

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
So 2k22 will still be limited to 100 CAW slots, and no word on if alternate attires take up these slots. If the game is functional I’d consider getting it (and converting it into an AEW game) but this is another red flag.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

So 2k22 will still be limited to 100 CAW slots, and no word on if alternate attires take up these slots. If the game is functional I’d consider getting it (and converting it into an AEW game) but this is another red flag.

It might be fine IF they took out the arbitrary limit on custom images, which meant it was basically impossible to even reach 100 CAWs because each CAW could have several custom images on them for things like shirt/trunk logos, face photos, etc

I remember a day where I was trying to download the whole AEW roster and I literally had to go into every CAW and remove the least noticeable custom images from them to make room, because for some reason CAW creators do weird poo poo like having a scan of each of a dudes nipples as separate images taking up two whole custom image slots. It's loving maddening.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

if the nipples on my kenny omega CAW aren't just so, i will throw my loving console and game into a trash compactor and set myself on fire

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Imagining WikiNipple for wrestlers, akin to Wikifeet.

Going to upload DarbyAllinLeftNipple.png to the WWE 2K22 Servers.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

My 2k18 save still has both of Kenny Omega's nipples in it. I'd post pics but I think it's probably a bit too risqué for this forum.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheSDHotel/status/1493710211265318912?s=20&t=fgCqOy3D8nsUSdXUyEmwyQ

That Uso ...

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

me too bud. me too

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I think the first thing I'd do as a dev is abolish character ratings so buyers can play as whoever they like without feeling cheated when their online opponent is Reigns or Lesnar again 99% of the time. But this year it feels like they've leaned into it more than ever, probably because of the My Faction thing they'll plug a ton of microtransactions into so you can pay to upgrade that arbitrary number. :barf:

This Jim Neidhart model is also the exact same asset as from 2k16.
https://twitter.com/NatbyNature/status/1493718182992957448

bartok
May 10, 2006

Psychepath posted:

I think the first thing I'd do as a dev is abolish character ratings so buyers can play as whoever they like without feeling cheated when their online opponent is Reigns or Lesnar again 99% of the time. But this year it feels like they've leaned into it more than ever, probably because of the My Faction thing they'll plug a ton of microtransactions into so you can pay to upgrade that arbitrary number. :barf:

This Jim Neidhart model is also the exact same asset as from 2k16.
https://twitter.com/NatbyNature/status/1493718182992957448

I agree but I also had a lot of fun in past wrestling games playing with guys that had awful stats like a JTG or a Damien Sandow through career mode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

bartok posted:

I agree but I also had a lot of fun in past wrestling games playing with guys that had awful stats like a JTG or a Damien Sandow through career mode.

I would lower HHH to the lowest stats possible, but the game would slowly increase them as the matches went on

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Online 2k matchmaking is mostly fighting a 7 foot, 600 lb, tier 100 CAW in glowing gear whose move set is just spears and RKOs

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the stat rankings are a requirement of the license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
WWE Games didn't have stats in the way of the OVR system until HCTP. Firepro had them for a long time(I know they exist but I couldn't tell you the history), AKI games had a bit of a ratio system. There's other ways to do stats so that Rey Mysterio moves faster than Mark Henry, but Henry does more damage with the same move than Mysterio.

The OVR system I've always disliked because it seems dedicated to maintaining card hierarchy than emphasizing strengths and weaknesses. There's very likely a game in the SVR era where John Cena is as fast as Rey Mysterio, stronger than the Big Show, capable of taking more damage than the Undertaker.

It's a bit lame. It's like if Street Fighter decided that Ryu, being the poster boy, is better by design than Blanka, because gently caress you for liking Blanka. There are occasional characters who are worse on purpose, such as Dan or Sean, but they're the exception not the rule. A skilled Dan player is going to be able to beat an equally skilled player using a higher tier character regularly and achieve a much healthier W-L ratio than two equally skilled 2k20 players choosing to do a few matches of No Way Jose vs. Brock Lesnar.

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 16, 2022