Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It has a pretty fun dev troll too.

You can collect Tonics that slightly change the gameplay experience, things like currency magnets, longer invincibility after taking damage etc.

You can equip three tonics. One of the more expensive tonics lets you equip a fourth! You have to equip this tonic in a slot for it to take effect, so you still only have three useful tonics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

leper khan posted:

It was made by some of the people behind banjo kazooie, too!

And those were the same people that made Banjo-Tooie and DK64

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

And those were the same people that made Banjo-Tooie and DK64

and Conker and JFG lol

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

JustJeff88 posted:

I haven't played any of the early stuff, but I just started trying a few DKC games. I just bought DKC Returns on 3DS because I will be buggered backwards before I put up with Wii controls, and I bought Tropical Freeze for Switch... then realised that I already had it on Wii U despite no memory of buying that version - I can't return the Switch game either. They're fun games, don't get me wrong, but I am kind of embarassed about buying the same game twice.

at least (hopefully) you haven't bought skyrim like the 9 different times they've released it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Large Testicles posted:

at least (hopefully) you haven't bought skyrim like the 9 different times they've released it

Skyrim fans see this as a good thing for some reason

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The first Yooka-Laylee is pretty bad, but The Impossible Lair is one of the best 2d-platformers I've played.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

leper khan posted:

It was made by some of the people behind banjo kazooie, too!

Clearly not a single person with any talent.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Kaewan posted:

Clearly not a single person with any talent.

Because you don't like the level design no one who worked on it has any talent? Lol

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

leper khan posted:

Because you don't like the level design no one who worked on it has any talent? Lol

yes

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

🤡

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Len posted:

Skyrim fans see this as a good thing for some reason

Sadly, I own a few versions of that, including Switch, and have never played any of them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I am the rarist of bird. I own a single copy of Skyrim and I didn't even pay for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've never played Skyrim in my life, let alone owning

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey folks, I'm the EGS free game library auditor. For every hour of playtime i find on your account, you get one year of prison.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cojawfee posted:

Hey folks, I'm the EGS free game library auditor. For every hour of playtime i find on your account, you get one year of prison.

*remembers getting weirdly hooked on Farming Simulator 19 for a few months*

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Federal pound-me-in-the-rear end prison?

aba
Oct 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

I've played Shadow Complex Remastered they gave out before EGS was released. Does it count?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

aba posted:

I've played Shadow Complex Remastered they gave out before EGS was released. Does it count?

I hope not.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
175 years for me
my top 3 are 17, 18, and 19 hours in Talos Principle, Subnautica, and Sunless Sea

i hope the free games in the prison library are good

(e: also 49 hours in hades but i paid :10bux: for that)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 5, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

poo poo, the coppers! scram, boys!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

175 years for me
my top 3 are 17, 18, and 19 hours in Talos Principle, Subnautica, and Sunless Sea

i hope the free games in the prison library are good

(e: also 49 hours in hades but i paid :10bux: for that)

Talos Principle is good, there aren't enough first person puzzlers out there. I love spatial reasoning.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It was an older Epic giveaway, but Anodyne 2 was a really good title too. Very deliberate homage to the N64/PSX era of platformers. If you're already going to prison for playing free titles, may as well double down and check it out.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

Talos Principle is good, there aren't enough first person puzzlers out there. I love spatial reasoning.

The story and ambiance are terrific too. Thank goodness I had already played it before they gave it away.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Twerk from Home posted:

It’s great until the playback puzzles show up, then it just turns into a frustrating headache of knowing exactly what to do, but having to repeatedly fiddle with those things to get it just right. Completely killed my enjoyment of the game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The playback/recorder mechanic definitely adds another complexity layer to almost any puzzle it is in. Ghosts can duplicate objects for more connectors and jammers, no collisions with ghost objects (so you can't jump on top of a ghost box) and other weirdness. All that plus the recording timer ticking down. It forced players to recontextualize how some previous mechanics worked whenever the recorder was part of a puzzle, so I can see how that got frustrating.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The recorder puzzles later on totally broke my brain so anytime they popped up I just watched a video of the solution so I could get past them ASAP. I didn't have much trouble with any of the other puzzles in the game but those ones tripped me up pretty good

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Windbound now free on EGS and I'm really, really sad about that because it looks cool and I want to play it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Windbound now free on EGS and I'm really, really sad about that because it looks cool and I want to play it.

You had your chance

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

The Kingdom Come DLC The Amorous Adventures of Bold Sir Hans Capon is free on Steam for valentines day.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Jesus Christ that’s actually the name

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Windbound is, unfortunately, pretty bad in the same ways that every single 'survive on a series of islands' game is bad, with tedious repetitive crafting, busywork meter mechanics, and an inch-deep combat system.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Oh is it a survival game? It looked more like Breath Of the Windwaker to me based off the trailer.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Yeah it looks like what I want to play and have almost bought it a few times.
But every review I see is just bad comments that keep me far away.
Even in the Steam forums have people saying that they wanted to buy this and now that they've played it on EGS they are glad they didnt.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

The Kingdom Come DLC The Amorous Adventures of Bold Sir Hans Capon is free on Steam for valentines day.

Sadly not also free on Epic Game Store, where the base game was once free.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Schiffbruch was a fun survive on an island game. The rescue was randomly decided and the first time I played my dude got saved like 2 days in so I barely interacted with most of the mechanics. It was great

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Schiffbruch was a fun survive on an island game. The rescue was randomly decided and the first time I played my dude got saved like 2 days in so I barely interacted with most of the mechanics. It was great

Nice work. If you absolutely must play a game, best that it be as short as possible.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
A quick game is a good game.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

This is the only video game to ever to give me motion sickness.

In other news, I might have to say goodbye to the thread... I bought a game. Red Dead was on sale and they passed around that $10 coupon... $19 Red Dead 2? I never played it; so I couldn't pass it up.

After 2 years of free games, they got me. Adios amigos.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I've bought Windbound so I actually had the chance to play it and you're lucky to have it for free so you won't play it. It's a cool idea but a horrible game, also less a game and more a proof of concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

This is the only video game to ever to give me motion sickness.

In other news, I might have to say goodbye to the thread... I bought a game. Red Dead was on sale and they passed around that $10 coupon... $19 Red Dead 2? I never played it; so I couldn't pass it up.

After 2 years of free games, they got me. Adios amigos.

Just don't talk about it at Thanksgiving and everyone will have a good time.