Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

unless im misremembering, isn't part of the context around that line smth like "man i had some real messed up dreams" which the jp tl beefed or am i thinking of something else??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

In case you missed it Forgotten Weapons and a book publisher they’ve worked with before on more historical/technical works decided that it was a good idea to announce they wanted to translate and publish the auto-biography of the time a neo-Nazi from Sweden spent in Ukraine in 2014 fighting in the Azov Battalion.

It was not a good idea. Videos and the fundraiser have since been deleted or hidden.

sheesh yeah this is bad. Ian released a sincere apology though I wish he said a bit more and hope he does more to right this wrong because he really hosed this one up. He spent all day deleting comments and references to the guys Nazi history and people pointing out that you can't make a non-political book about the loving Azov battalion, and seems a little surprised that people were unhappy.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 5, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ian basically made the classic mistake of thinking that being able to ignore politics is the same as being able to avoid politics

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Because of Pokemon, when I was a kid I figured "jelly donut but with rice instead of pastry" was a thing and gave making it a try myself.

Not great. But also not that bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have no earthly idea if this was the original dialog but it’s funny as poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hmxbxWarDE

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Xiran collaborated with a good number of South East Asian folks to create a (soon to be) 3 parter on everything about the Raya and the Last Dragon movie, that's a culmination of 9 months of work put in by >50 people. Full disclosure, I was involved but had not the time and specific expertise to do actual contribution to this project (also I haven't watched it yet I just found out today lol).

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1489786148377427968

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1489788445476098050

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1489790220165734402

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1489790905263345665

Part 1 and Part 2 are currently out:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwn8YD8sobo
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ccFuk7HN8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sankara posted:

Because of Pokemon, when I was a kid I figured "jelly donut but with rice instead of pastry" was a thing and gave making it a try myself.

People put just about anything into onigiri so I'm sure there's some guy out there putting jelly into em.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Xiran collaborated with a good number of South East Asian folks to create a (soon to be) 3 parter on everything about the Raya and the Last Dragon movie, that's a culmination of 9 months of work put in by >50 people. Full disclosure, I was involved but had not the time and specific expertise to do actual contribution to this project (also I haven't watched it yet I just found out today lol).

Not done with the video yet, but I am glad to hear her POV.
She's the greatest thing to come out of the Mulan remake mess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jackofarcades posted:

I taught high school history and I was shocked to learn that the boy with the striped pajamas was what my students knew about the Holocaust. I'd never even heard of it. Many of them thought it was based on a true story.

I was well out of school by the time it came out but it was incredible finding out what it was about. Insane that such a book got a movie adaptation and is assigned to students instead of being seen as what it is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

fatherboxx posted:

Really good piece, Kyle nails the gag humour of the series (Baltimore Gun Club? Of course it is several ascendants to the characters of Homicide and The Wire!) and the thesis statement of Moore.
I would have lost my mind doing all the annotations Kyle did for this video

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was well out of school by the time it came out but it was incredible finding out what it was about. Insane that such a book got a movie adaptation and is assigned to students instead of being seen as what it is.

For someone who hasn’t seen it, what is the problem? That it transforms the tragedy of the holocaust into an accident that befalls some unlucky nazis while making the actual victims into irrelevant bystanders? The wiki plot summary is pretty sparse.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Sankara posted:

This is pure speculation on my part, but I've long suspected that the "Onigiri > Jelly Donut" localization was inspired by Tim Hortons.

Hear me out: The oldest instance of a dubbed anime trying to present rice balls as donuts was the original English localization of Sailor Moon, whose dub was outsourced by parent company DIC to the Mississauga-based production company Optimum Productions.

For those not familiar with Canadian culture, Tim Horton's is a popular chain of Canadian donut restaurants. One of the chain's most popular offerings (Outside their coffee, which has kind of a reputation for its diehard fans) are Timbits - Donut holes of assorted flavors that come in packs of 10, 20 and more:

Notice the shape and colouring of the jelly-filled one with the powdered sugar coating. I've long suspected that when the Canadian localization company decided they needed to change the references to Japanese food to something more North American, someone looked at the onigiri as drawn in Sailor Moon and figured it looked kind of like a big Timbit, especially because Usagi often ate them in batches...

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

For someone who hasn’t seen it, what is the problem? That it transforms the tragedy of the holocaust into an accident that befalls some unlucky nazis while making the actual victims into irrelevant bystanders? The wiki plot summary is pretty sparse.

All that and also the depiction of Auschwitz as being so lax that kids could just play around and come and go as they please (also that there were very young children in Auschwitz that weren't immediately killed). Also that it's used potentially in place of actual true stories of the Holocaust, when it's a fictional story, is problematic when you're up against people trying to argue that the Holocaust didn't happen at all or that accounts of it are disputed etc.

While it may have been written in good faith to convey the awfulness of the Holocaust, why use a story of something that did not happen to teach children about something that they should grow up understanding fundamentally really did happen to real people?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I AM GRANDO posted:

It's a fictional account that the author's admitted to doing little to no research about, and the fictional account is from the perspective of a German boy who is the son of an SS officer. The emotional turmoil in the story is from how this poor sweet innocent boy is so good and wide-eyed and pure that he befriends a Jew and it's just so tragic this child (not his new friend or the millions of other people who were actively targeted by the Nazis at the time) died. Like you guess, him being the viewpoint and focus shifts the Holocaust as a deliberate pogrom and persecution of people by the entire German apparatus into just something that happened like a natural disaster.

But more troubling is this account is the book's place in our culture and the way most people who were unaffected by the atrocities of the Holocaust choose to teach it. It's elevated above historic and personal accounts of the event which serves to massage and erase the horrors and helps cement it in the cultural consciousness as something that "oh well it happened a long time ago, it was only the upper people in the German government, it didn't have any lasting effects and ended when the camps were liberated, etc etc". It flattens the whole thing to an easily digestible story and divorces it from any of its surrounding context, its place in history, and the lasting effect it had on survivors and their descendents.

Edit: Here's a nice run-down on it to read. https://holocaustlearning.org.uk/latest/the-problem-with-the-boy-in-the-striped-pyjamas/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s shocking that someone would publish something like that as education for children, but probably the publishers were ignorant of the holocaust and didn’t particularly care about it either.

I should write a book about a brave white boy who has to live in the slaves’ quarters for a long weekend. Or a conquistador’s son who catches smallpox.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
Extremely weird watching Boy in The Striped Pyjamas in high school RS and the takeaway being "what a tragedy that kid died too, how ironic!"

From the school that showed us an episode of the Simpsons to teach us about arranged marriages!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Holocaust Learning site and Mercury Hat's post are excellent summaries of Boy's many, many issues. It is badly researched, badly conceived, and actively detrimental in teaching what the Holocaust was and how it happened.

Somehow, despite being condemned by nearly every authority on the matter, the book remains a staple of American English classes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1489786148377427968

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1489788445476098050

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1489790220165734402

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1489790905263345665

Part 1 and Part 2 are currently out:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwn8YD8sobo
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94ccFuk7HN8

This, on the other hand, is very good. Slowly making my way through the videos but enjoying the analysis thus far.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even if you aren't terribly well-read on the Holocaust a school age German boy not knowing who Hitler is or what Jews are would make you scratch your head.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iirc german kids were very commonly taught that jewish people were monsters that would attack them and they should loudly identify them on sight in public

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That's really a wild amount of work, but the videos look great. I hope you all are happy with the final product.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

Endorph posted:

The Japanese TL did. A character is describing mental illness and uses 'kichigai/気違い'. The closest comparison meaning wise would be lunatic/madman/insane, but it's a really heavy slur in terms of social context. Obviously if you hear 'slur for the mentally ill' you think of one word but its honestly far, far more offensive than that, you can't say it on even the raunchiest TV and most people would find it actively disturbing if they saw it. Like in terms of offensiveness its more closely compared to the nword or something. It's also been considered offensive for longer.

Like here's how bad it is, even jp internet trolls on their 4chan equivalent have stopped using it, or when they do use it they censor it or use some slightly less offensive but still insulting equivalent.

They used that slur in ICarly in the episodes they went to Japan there's this neat YouTube video that talks about it

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CYBEReris posted:

iirc german kids were very commonly taught that jewish people were monsters that would attack them and they should loudly identify them on sight in public

It's true. We were also taught to roast them with our laser-eyes

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

goldenninjawarrior posted:

While it may have been written in good faith to convey the awfulness of the Holocaust,
Lolno, he got into a Twitter slapfight with the Auschwitz museum over it. He seems to legit believe it's an accurate story, but this may be to deflect from the other controversy he was in at the time where he decided to write a story about a boy feeling sad about how his trans sibling affected him.

He then used the public reaction to these for his new story about how a brave truth teller was attacked by internet trolls who hate the truth and started suing people who weren't nice to him. It's not nice to point out that he stole the recipe for a pie from Breath of the Wild, you see.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's not nice to point out that he stole the recipe for a pie from Breath of the Wild, you see.

Did he.... throw a bunch of apples into a fire pit?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nuns with Guns posted:

I misremembered. It's a dye thing apparently: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/john-boyne-legend-of-zelda_n_5f283813c5b68fbfc88637cf

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's so much dumber than that it mentions lizalfos tails and Hylian mushrooms.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Oh my god lmao

https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/status/1290099410299305984

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
From this week: https://twitter.com/john_boyne/status/1488459611178881024

Sorry John, actually it is about you.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I chose Boy in Striped Pajamas for my summer reading assignment one year in High School and was surprised by how awful it was, for many of the reasons previously mentioned in this thread. Since then there was a part of me that wondered if I was the one who was wrong for hating it (since it's inexplicably so well known and I could be pretty contrarian back then) so it's good to have these recent posts and links confirm my understanding was correct.

While it's far from the book's biggest issue, one thing that stood out to me was how the main character misunderstands the camp's name as "out-with", because this German kid is apparently speaking English.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So apparently this is the short of it in regards to the Forgotten Weapons guy's thing.

"A guy approached them (Headstamp) with a manuscript on the fighting in the Ukrainian war around 2014-2015 and after looking at the manuscript, which seemed to have had no bias in it, at least none they recognized, they agreed. Turns out that guy was in no way a reliable narrator and a volunteer in the azov brigade which is a neo nazi militia group who just want to be the new SS, after actually doing a background check on the guy and seeing his posts (which are full of nazi bs and pro concentration camp comments) they pulled the plug and ended all collaboration with the author. Ian made a follow up video most of us missed because he deleted both of those. The video we're responding to now is him explaining what happened to the project because of the backlash."

Here's said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymu5S6zbIvc

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The most charitable interpretation that can be made is that Forgotten Weapons and the publisher took everything this guy said at face value and just put out a video without even a single Google search. Never mind searching the guy’s real name because it doesn’t really show up (or at least didn’t before this) but just “Azov Battalion” will bring up all you need to know. Describing them as unfairly maligned by political opponents with an agenda sounds exactly like a quote from someone deliberately trying to hide their history if you’re familiar with their history but if you’re not to a gun YouTuber a sentence like that is loving catnip, even a “good” one.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Ian basically made the classic mistake of thinking that being able to ignore politics is the same as being able to avoid politics
I bailed on that channel long ago after constantly seeing "OOGA BOOGA OBAMA GONNA TAKE THIS GUN FROM YOU TOO!!!" comments unchallenged by Ian or mods. Ignoring the elephant in the room doesn't mean it's not there.

Kibayasu posted:

The most charitable interpretation that can be made is that Forgotten Weapons and the publisher took everything this guy said at face value and just put out a video without even a single Google search. Never mind searching the guy’s real name because it doesn’t really show up (or at least didn’t before this) but just “Azov Battalion” will bring up all you need to know. Describing them as unfairly maligned by political opponents with an agenda sounds exactly like a quote from someone deliberately trying to hide their history if you’re familiar with their history but if you’re not to a gun YouTuber a sentence like that is loving catnip, even a “good” one.
Yeah, that's not "oops", that's willful ignorance. You don't spend a lifetime around guns and the people who love them without checking for ulterior motives when presented with "history", especially with the Ukraine and Russia.

If someone hands you a whistle and says "try blowing into it, I think it's broken" you should probably check it out before doing it on camera.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ian is pretty clearly not a chud if you’ve followed FW/IR at all, but he very clearly has a blind spot of thinking he can avoid partaking in political and ideological discourse by pretending it’s not there.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2Fft4QLDbU
Danny talking about the TikTok star who is beefing with Julliard. The actual actual subject is kind of whatever but Danny uses it to do some pretty funny bits.

tiktok boy seems like he sucks (according to the comments he’s cosplaying poverty and had literally never acted before) but also he looks like the loving crimson chin. I’ve never seen someone with a chin that large, I dunno if it’s the camera angle or what but it’s ridiculous

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Soup du Jour posted:

tiktok boy seems like he sucks (according to the comments he’s cosplaying poverty and had literally never acted before) but also he looks like the loving crimson chin. I’ve never seen someone with a chin that large, I dunno if it’s the camera angle or what but it’s ridiculous

I haven't looked at this guy yet, but does it stand up to the man who nearly caused Muhammad Ali to lose a leg from their fight, Antonio Inoki's glorious chin? The man could probably shatter fuckin diamond with that thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

So apparently this is the short of it in regards to the Forgotten Weapons guy's thing.

"A guy approached them (Headstamp) with a manuscript on the fighting in the Ukrainian war around 2014-2015 and after looking at the manuscript, which seemed to have had no bias in it, at least none they recognized, they agreed. Turns out that guy was in no way a reliable narrator and a volunteer in the azov brigade which is a neo nazi militia group who just want to be the new SS, after actually doing a background check on the guy and seeing his posts (which are full of nazi bs and pro concentration camp comments) they pulled the plug and ended all collaboration with the author. Ian made a follow up video most of us missed because he deleted both of those. The video we're responding to now is him explaining what happened to the project because of the backlash."

Here's said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymu5S6zbIvc

yea and I don't believe he genuinely had no idea because part of his second (I think???) defense video was 'gee THE MEDIA sure was unfair to the poor Azov Brigade' with literally a video of them driving into a gate with the SS symbol on it on screen so he loving knew what they were about he just thought it was an evil (((media))) smear against those poor freedom fighters.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The only possible match for Inoki is UK sport legend Jimmy Hill.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

He's got big time engineer brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

now those are loving chins :eyepop: