Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Laserface posted:

Do you understand the title?

Yes, do you? Dying light 2 is mostly about people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yes, do you? Dying light 2 is mostly about people.

Woosh

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Laserface posted:

I just dont see VR getting wide spread use in video games outside of first person experiences that do not rely on the players virtual persona moving. you aren't playing COD with a VR setup in a loungeroom, probably ever, with true immersive movement and controls. why would you want to?

i guess the answer to that becomes 'mech FPS games' which i could get behind.
I played COD in VR with stick movement and VR controls since 4 years ago, Pavlov is one of PCVR/Quests biggest hits and has retained a huge (relative to the size of the platform) player base. Alyx and RE4 both demonstrated that it's possible to translate games with traversal to VR with both teleport and stick movement options. You don't see it because you don't look.

Vox Machina is fun.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Douche4Sale posted:

I started and the premise and some of the elements are cool. I just for the life of me can't play anymore rogue/rogue-lite games. I am just sick of them. At some point they all just feel like the same treadmill with slightly different window dressing.

It did seem cool if you aren't sick of them like me though.

I had the same reaction. Seems decent but with the glut of roguelikes, one needs to either have something unique or be extremely good for me to stick with them. If this game came out a few years ago, it'd be a different story.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Laserface posted:

I just dont see VR getting wide spread use in video games outside of first person experiences that do not rely on the players virtual persona moving. you aren't playing COD with a VR setup in a loungeroom, probably ever, with true immersive movement and controls. why would you want to?

Why are you just assuming that everyone has the same personal preferences that you do? I and a lot of of other people would love to be able to do that and there are plenty of comparable games out there already that are popular.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Laserface posted:

Firewall VR was very similar to COD VR and was a surprise hit on PSVR. Borderlands 2 VR is a personal fave of mine. Yall have some outdated VR opinions.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all i know is every form of 3d display, either psuedo-depth or stereooptical, has given be a searing headache after about 20 minutes. i haven't tried a vr headset but you can see why I don't want to buy one

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Larry Parrish posted:

all i know is every form of 3d display, either psuedo-depth or stereooptical, has given be a searing headache after about 20 minutes. i haven't tried a vr headset but you can see why I don't want to buy one

cursed by god to be a flatgamer

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
stereoscopic ride or die lenticular4lyfe :argh:

somebody hand me the ViewMaster

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

VR fixes most of the problems of traditional stereoscopy, except for eye convergence which can cause some weird artifacts from always being at a fixed distance. Not an unfixable problem, varifocal lenses are a thing in R&D labs, but its a sickness trigger for some and remains a barrier.

VR isn't about stereo anyway. Its nice to have because we have two eyes and generally expect the both of them to work, but if you're blind in one eye VR works just as well in every way that counts.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Lammasu posted:

Compulsion has only made two games. Why did Microsoft buy them?

Since being bought they've doubled in size and are making a third person narrative-driven game apparently.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Contrast was a free PS+ game the day the PS4 launched and I couldn't even finish it even though there was absolutely nothing to play on PS4 at the time. It's boring as hell. I have not played We happy Few but always thought it looked like an Arcane game/Bioshock on a really tight budget

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wee Crappy Poo

(It’s poo poo)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not even an Arkane game but a roguelike survival sim with stealth and crafting elements. It's like one deck builder away from being my anti-game.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Playing the game Bad North because it's free this weekend on Gold, it's pretty good!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

SCheeseman posted:

VR fixes most of the problems of traditional stereoscopy, except for eye convergence which can cause some weird artifacts from always being at a fixed distance. Not an unfixable problem, varifocal lenses are a thing in R&D labs, but its a sickness trigger for some and remains a barrier.

VR isn't about stereo anyway. Its nice to have because we have two eyes and generally expect the both of them to work, but if you're blind in one eye VR works just as well in every way that counts.

So what you're saying is pirates can enjoy VR.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Contrast was a free PS+ game the day the PS4 launched and I couldn't even finish it even though there was absolutely nothing to play on PS4 at the time. It's boring as hell. I have not played We happy Few but always thought it looked like an Arcane game/Bioshock on a really tight budget

Same, got that game for free and played for 5 mins tops. It's the bottom of the barrel.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Holy poo poo, they did work on Daggerdale. That game was so bad it hosed me up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wee Crappy Poo

(It’s poo poo)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lammasu posted:

So what you're saying is pirates can enjoy VR.

There's still some accessibility issues. Peg legs would be OK but hook hands make it difficult to hold the controller.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
FF12 is leaving on the 15th, I might poopsock through it cause I never played zodiac age.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

SCheeseman posted:

There's still some accessibility issues. Peg legs would be OK but hook hands make it difficult to hold the controller.

Eye patch renders VR pretty moot

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

im glad it's cool. I'll check out VR when i can justify $1000 for a lovely monitor that lets me play 2 games and as many tech demos as I want. so in the next lifetime, I guess

Good news The most widely used one is like $300 and has standalone games that don’t need a pc

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

I played COD in VR with stick movement and VR controls since 4 years ago, Pavlov is one of PCVR/Quests biggest hits and has retained a huge (relative to the size of the platform) player base. Alyx and RE4 both demonstrated that it's possible to translate games with traversal to VR with both teleport and stick movement options. You don't see it because you don't look.

Vox Machina is fun.

I personally tried stick movement on Alyx and really quickly wanted to barf tho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Same. I went teleport very quickly.

Climbing a ladder nearly made me fall over.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Toaster Beef posted:

Eye patch renders VR pretty moot

If you close one eye it doesn't make reality less immersive, you're just down some FOV and one of many depth cues. Perspective and parallax are massively more important to how VR works than stereoscopy, in 6DOF anyway. 3DOF like GearVR, Go, Cardboard etc weren't the real thing and worked more like a 360 degree 3D movie.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's unfortunate that stick movement is a sickness trigger, I got it a little to start with but it faded eventually. It's good that lots of games provide the option for teleport, admittedly not many competitive shooters do.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 5, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The problem with full locomotion in VR is that it takes some getting used to. It took me a while before I could do it for more than a minute without wanting to puke, but after about a week of baby steps I could handle just about anything in VR that I could on a flat screen. Actually expecting everyone to be willing to go through that to get comfortable with it is a big ask though.

A lot of people who don't play games get sick looking at regular rear end FPS too. It's really about what you are acclimated to.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Don't care about VR until I'm at a Dot Hack level of immersion.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I've tried VR once and it was ok, but my problem is as a glasses wearer those goggles are not comfortable.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Live At Five! posted:

I've tried VR once and it was ok, but my problem is as a glasses wearer those goggles are not comfortable.

Luckily ergonomics in gaming are not a big deal.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurtilik posted:

Don't care about VR until I'm at a Dot Hack level of immersion.

This. Jack me in and leave me there lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I lost my dedicated VR space because someone just had to put a bed in the room and having guests sleep on an air mattress wasn’t ok.

Absolutely ridiculous

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My PC doesn’t have a GPU anymore so I sold my Vive and bought a ton of Xbox games, worth

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Tried to play Visage. Bleh. It tries to be all edgy and scary but it was just lovely.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Live At Five! posted:

You can get prescription inserts, there's 4 or 5 manufacturers at this point.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I bought the Quest 2 on release date on a whim. I thought i'd dig it for a couple months, then sell it after the honeymoon period.

Because that's what happened with my PSVR. Played it a total of probably 20 hours and lost interest.

But the Quest 2 being wireless, yet still being capable of playing PCVR, made a huge difference.

I play it every day. I'm embarrassed to say how much, and how many games I purchased for it.

It is the future, without question. Once SOC's are capable of running Alyx, then the VR poo poo will really start poppin'

I'm predicting it will be 5 years, for the industry to have SOC's that compete with Apples silicon.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
lol Crossfire X on gamepass is only half the game

I guess we can expect to see more of these shenanigans

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The United States posted:

lol Crossfire X on gamepass is only half the game

I guess we can expect to see more of these shenanigans

What's it missing? I though MS were publishing the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JBP posted:

What's it missing? I though MS were publishing the game.
The game is launching with a F2P multiplayer by Smilegate and two single player campaigns by Remedy. The Game Pass release does not include the second campaign, which'll need to be bought separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

The Kins posted:

The game is launching with a F2P multiplayer by Smilegate and two single player campaigns by Remedy. The Game Pass release does not include the second campaign, which'll need to be bought separately.

That sounds convoluted.