Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TjyvTompa posted:

Only use it for the purpose for which it was designed.
The purpose of refunds for interchangeable non-consumable consumer products is to let the customer exchange for any reason within a reasonable amount of time. This is a basic consumer protection some places but a trade standard customarily anywhere else. Restocking and transaction fees are encouraged to be absorbed as retailers have often found the idea that a consumer can refund something is often beneficial in the balance of people who think they are doing that then forget to return it.

I think most of the belly aching about returns in Steam once the initial kinks and run on the system were worked out is that it can appear devastating when you are chasing Steam payout minimum limits and you see old debits just knock you out of your paycheck this period but that's a problem with Steam gating payments behind minimum transactions, not consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

tater_salad posted:

yeah then stormworks is not for you. It's fiddly with transmissions buttons throtles, wiring etc etc.

It’s really annoying though because stormworks used to have this pretty robust mission system and it was fun to just grab stuff off the workshop and play the career mode with that but now they’ve gutted it.

Seems like there is a lot of potential for mods to fill the gaps but it still hurts yknow.

The passenger mod storm link looks like a lot of fun and I keep thinking about trying to make an underwater salvage mission mod but like others have said I get super caught up in the vehicle editor and accidentally spend all my time there instead of actually doing any driving.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

LeFishy posted:

It’s really annoying though because stormworks used to have this pretty robust mission system and it was fun to just grab stuff off the workshop and play the career mode with that but now they’ve gutted it.

Seems like there is a lot of potential for mods to fill the gaps but it still hurts yknow.

The passenger mod storm link looks like a lot of fun and I keep thinking about trying to make an underwater salvage mission mod but like others have said I get super caught up in the vehicle editor and accidentally spend all my time there instead of actually doing any driving.

What replaced it/how does it operate now? the mission system seemed like a good solution but it's been forever since i played.

Sailwind is really cool though, really reminds me of time sailing irl. Except much less people to load poo poo on the boat.

Great thing though if you're impatient like me...

You can just nap your way closer to your destination!

Not being able to see my position on the in-game map feels very alien for video games though.

Mahalo to TjyvTompa for this. I'd recommend spending someone else's money on it 11/10.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 29, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Llamadeus posted:

Steam should probably not bring this up as a specific use case if it wasn't intended :v: https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Yeah I was going to say, that’s literally one of the explicit purposes of refunds.

Also echoing thanks for the sailwinds rec!

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

HarmB posted:

What replaced it/how does it operate now? the mission system seemed like a good solution but it's been forever since i played.

My understanding is there is just a lot less variety now. There are no salvage missions or anything like that anymore it’s entirely “a boat is in trouble please help”.

I’m glad my terrible crime has had a positive fallout.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
That'll teach you.

I want to get sailwinds, but I also don't want to jump in on an early access game before they've added most of the content that they intend to.

On to the ol' wishlist pile it goes!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
A game simply called "Air Traffic" was released today, seems fitting for this thread:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1861880/Air_Traffic/

It's only €1.59 and is described like this by the developer:

quote:

Air Traffic is an air traffic control themed game. Direct aircraft in the area where radar coverage is limited. Prevent collisions, organize and expedite the flow of air traffic.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TjyvTompa posted:

A game simply called "Air Traffic" was released today, seems fitting for this thread:

Ooooh! I love air traffic control stuff. I like to listen to the airports sometimes. Pisses me off that the UK uses encrypted stuff so it's not simple to earwig.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Ooooh! I love air traffic control stuff. I like to listen to the airports sometimes. Pisses me off that the UK uses encrypted stuff so it's not simple to earwig.

I think there's even a TRACON game that lets you use voice but not 100% sure.. Look at the youtubes for ATC game or something.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

tater_salad posted:

I think there's even a TRACON game that lets you use voice but not 100% sure.. Look at the youtubes for ATC game or something.

Is this the game you are talking about? https://store.steampowered.com/app/646350/Tracon2012SE/
It seems to support voice recognition but judging from the reviews it does not work.

Or maybe this one? https://store.steampowered.com/app/588190/Tower3D_Pro/
Seems to actually work, also judging from the reviews.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Air frequencies are not encrypted, because they need to be freely available to every air ship. You need a scanner that operates within the frequency bands used by ATC, and you can get those easily. It’s illegal to listen in in the UK, but the likelihood of getting caught is zero, unless you’re hanging out outside Heathrow with the receiver out and about.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Air frequencies are not encrypted, because they need to be freely available to every air ship. You need a scanner that operates within the frequency bands used by ATC, and you can get those easily. It’s illegal to listen in in the UK, but the likelihood of getting caught is zero, unless you’re hanging out outside Heathrow with the receiver out and about.

Ah, I got bad information then. I just knew it was naughty to listen and it's hard to find online, but I haven't looked *very* hard cause you can just stick JFK tower on instead.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s extra fun to listen to local frequencies and I recommend it wholeheartedly! All you need is a hand scanner that works between 118 and 137 Mhz and have a clear line if sight to your local airport’s tower or the airports antenna (otherwise you’d need your won antenna and that’s a whole other ballgame). It’s a blast on days with lovely weather.

AFAIK it’s the police and rescue services that are encoded in the UK.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think it’s illegal to rebroadcast the feed, which would explain why it’s not on, say, liveatc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's a shame I Am An ATC never really got a modern release on steam or something they were great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think it’s illegal to rebroadcast the feed, which would explain why it’s not on, say, liveatc.

I did some reading and no, it is legit illegal to listen. It's just that they can't catch you doing it. The way UK law seems to work around radio broadcasts is that it has a whitelist, rather than a blacklist. Like, it lists all the things you *are* allowed to listen to.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s very similar to who it works in Germany, and the only case I ever heard anyone getting busted for it there was because a police officer was walking by a dude listening in to police frequencies (they’re not encoded) and heard the characteristics radio squelch sound from his headphones. So that’s pretty much how you get caught.

A scanner is not illegal to own, but if you happen to have air frequencies on during police control, you could be in trouble (as in, go to court and have your case dismissed). It’s a different case with transmitting signals, because transmitters are heavily regulated and can be traced. I’ve seen mobile tracing units in vans and they can pinpoint poo poo down to a particular building fairly easily.

In closing - listen to ATC, it’s fun.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One of the airlines used to have headphone jacks in the armrest (back before everything was bluetooth) with various stations you could select, and one of them was listening to the pilots talking to ATC. It was always soothing to listen to, just the tower handoffs as they pass from region to region.

I remember being on a flight where I was completely terrified. Worst weather I've ever been in on a flight, plane rocking back and forth, doing some of those big sudden drops at times, all of that. And then I hear the pilot in my headphone saying to ATC, "Yeah, we're experiencing a little mild chop up here, can we get a different elevation?" and I was like, wow, just another day on the job up there. Calmed me right down.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There used to be a very funny controller at JFK Ground called 'Kennedy Steve' and you can find compilations of him being amusing on youtube. He knows exactly when and how much to joke, and who with.

e: he has a long-running and fierce feud with the Delta Tugs.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I absolutely adore Kennedy Steve’s recordings on YouTube. I recently went through JFK and saw a delta tug on the tarmac and said “DELTATUGTWO” in his mocking garbled voice before I realized if anyone heard me they must think I’m insane.

A must watch if you have any interest in ATC. I don’t know how he isn’t constantly breaking into a panic with the level of poo poo he’s managing.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Oxygendavids Calmsden farm map is excellent but also a little tricky. An update was pushed out yesterday which fixed a couple of issues but needed a new save to make the most of it. In the 20 hours I’d played before a new save today all I’d managed to get done was harvest and plow the 3 fields you start off with cause they are rather large. This attempt I’ve got one of the subsoilers off modhub that has a 9mtr working width. Should take a little of the tedium out of getting back to where I was previously.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

StarkRavingMad posted:

One of the airlines used to have headphone jacks in the armrest (back before everything was bluetooth) with various stations you could select, and one of them was listening to the pilots talking to ATC. It was always soothing to listen to, just the tower handoffs as they pass from region to region.

I remember being on a flight where I was completely terrified. Worst weather I've ever been in on a flight, plane rocking back and forth, doing some of those big sudden drops at times, all of that. And then I hear the pilot in my headphone saying to ATC, "Yeah, we're experiencing a little mild chop up here, can we get a different elevation?" and I was like, wow, just another day on the job up there. Calmed me right down.

I loved that! I think it was United maybe. It always cut off during landing and I was sad.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

I'm having flashbacks to playing atc(6) on a greenscreen and sending countless airliners to their deaths, I was so bad at it.

Mokotow posted:

It’s extra fun to listen to local frequencies and I recommend it wholeheartedly! All you need is a hand scanner that works between 118 and 137 Mhz and have a clear line if sight to your local airport’s tower or the airports antenna (otherwise you’d need your won antenna and that’s a whole other ballgame). It’s a blast on days with lovely weather.

Highly recommend this, I live near YKF and sometimes I just turn on the ATC feed to listen to while I work rather than music. It's a medium-sized airport that gets a nice mix of general aviation and commercial traffic, including small international jets.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Was going to ask about Stormworks and then saw this

Phobeste posted:

Do you like the thought of building boats? Do you like the thought of building boats and then making little circuits that control everything on the boats? Do you like the thought of mostly building the boat, spawning the boat, using the boat to try and do stuff, immediately noticing something you'd like to fix, and then driving back so you can fix the thing and forgetting what you were going? Do you like the thought of getting annoyed by considering how to balance fining your hull, having space for payload, having space for engine and all the God drat Pipes that the god drat engine needs, having a low enough CG to not tip over while having a proud enough bow freeboard to not get swamped at speed or oncoming seas, Oh god dammit I didn't connect that wire right and now I can't turn off my engine once it's on

Do you like the idea of doing that but with helicopters where all of that stuff applies but also is harder and then you take off and it flips upside down immediately jesus christ and why are there still this many God drat Pipes gently caress my life.

DO you like the idea of having a calming Train instead, or a lovely Plane, but the God drat Pipes are a constant. A pox on my soul.

Anyway the point is that it rules as a game where you gently caress around building stuff and I've never been able to like do stuff in the game other than build. But the building is great
Too bad it's so in depth. I like playing missions and maybe tweaking a bit, not not micro-building everything :(

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Stormworks isn't a bad sandbox to just download cool looking workshop vehicles and zoom around in them. The sandbox goals might be varyingly broken or uninteresting based on the patch cycle. But it being probably the best vehicle workshop is certainly a bonus if you want to get into putting your vehicle ideas into a sandbox, but it also means the workshop is full of 1000 hour passion projects of strangely accurate replica rotorcraft, ships, trains, and land vehicles.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

zedprime posted:

Stormworks isn't a bad sandbox to just download cool looking workshop vehicles and zoom around in them. The sandbox goals might be varyingly broken or uninteresting based on the patch cycle. But it being probably the best vehicle workshop is certainly a bonus if you want to get into putting your vehicle ideas into a sandbox, but it also means the workshop is full of 1000 hour passion projects of strangely accurate replica rotorcraft, ships, trains, and land vehicles.

Seconding this. I've got 84 hours in Stormworks so far, and I've just exclusively been playing with workshop creations. This user in particular has a lot of super impressive, and incredibly functional vehicles: https://steamcommunity.com/id/MrNJersey/myworkshopfiles/.

I've also gotten a ton of mileage out of this particular helicopter:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2213181424

Campaign missions can be hit or miss sometimes, but its excellent fun when they work, especially if you have a group of friends.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

zedprime posted:

Agree; I have tried to make something a few times and generally failed miserably because while I want to make planes, the aero model is so bad logical design doesn't help and I get frustrated.

Then I go download someone's accurately designed Cargomaster with realistic startup and power bus and have fun.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got Stormworks on Friday.

I was really close to refunding it, but I went over the two hour limit but I like fiddly sims and this has a very Garry's Mod with Wire Mod feel.

It's janky though (surprise). I was about to finish a mission before the boat I was on wigged out and got me stuck in the hull and wouldn't let me out, and the noclip command in game didn't work.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Some reviews of Niche Sims I've played. They're becoming a favorite of mine and I'm glad the industry is blowing up.

My Summer Car - The best of them all. Building the car genuinely feels like an accomplishment and the construction isn't on rails like most other games like this.
House Flipper - Fun enough cleaning gameplay but the lack of assets is rough and it's holds me back from decorating the houses.
Car Mechanic Simulator 2021/2018 - Interesting concepts but the part installing is too on rails for my taste and it makes it feel like a big puzzle rather than a car as such.
Tank Mechanic Simulator - I liked grinding off the rust and painting everything. The mechanic aspect is even less exciting because there's nothing to diagnose, which I guess is fine since these are meant to be museum pieces mostly.
Farm Simulator et al - Like the concept but I always get overwhelmed when I make a new game because I hardly even know where to start, need to put some more time into this.
Derail Valley - It's fun, I've yet to complete a run because my shunter keeps overheating and that's the only loco I have, in addition to just getting lost
Train Sim World 2 - Felt realistic and pretty enough. I do like how they added a reason to get out of the train and look around the stations, even if it's just for a collectible.
Lawn Mowing Simulator - Didn't really grab me like I thought it would
Gas Station Simulator-Surprisingly charming and gives you a lot to do. Almost too much though, because you'll be servicing cars while customers wait and you have to pump people's gas too and people steal poo poo out of your barn, so the pace feels kinda frenetic.
Hardspace: Shipbreaker - Love it. Put it down to wait for the last update but it's blast.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

skooma512 posted:

I got Stormworks on Friday.

I was really close to refunding it, but I went over the two hour limit but I like fiddly sims and this has a very Garry's Mod with Wire Mod feel.

It's janky though (surprise). I was about to finish a mission before the boat I was on wigged out and got me stuck in the hull and wouldn't let me out, and the noclip command in game didn't work.

Yeah, it's incredibly fiddly, but in an oddly satisfying way. I put in some two hours just to build a boat of my own from scratch and I just about got it to be able to drive forwards and backwards.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I have had a few satisfying hours with Train Station Renovation. It's House Flipper, but for just train stations, so the lack of assets doesn't feel quite as annoying, and it has more of a feel of fixing things up - you don't have to spend time painting walls and such, for example. And the lighting engine is not quite as janky. Worth a few bucks on sale for sure if this kind of gameplay is your thing.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

skooma512 posted:

Some reviews of Niche Sims I've played. They're becoming a favorite of mine and I'm glad the industry is blowing up.

My Summer Car - The best of them all. Building the car genuinely feels like an accomplishment and the construction isn't on rails like most other games like this.
House Flipper - Fun enough cleaning gameplay but the lack of assets is rough and it's holds me back from decorating the houses.
Car Mechanic Simulator 2021/2018 - Interesting concepts but the part installing is too on rails for my taste and it makes it feel like a big puzzle rather than a car as such.
Tank Mechanic Simulator - I liked grinding off the rust and painting everything. The mechanic aspect is even less exciting because there's nothing to diagnose, which I guess is fine since these are meant to be museum pieces mostly.
Farm Simulator et al - Like the concept but I always get overwhelmed when I make a new game because I hardly even know where to start, need to put some more time into this.
Derail Valley - It's fun, I've yet to complete a run because my shunter keeps overheating and that's the only loco I have, in addition to just getting lost
Train Sim World 2 - Felt realistic and pretty enough. I do like how they added a reason to get out of the train and look around the stations, even if it's just for a collectible.
Lawn Mowing Simulator - Didn't really grab me like I thought it would
Gas Station Simulator-Surprisingly charming and gives you a lot to do. Almost too much though, because you'll be servicing cars while customers wait and you have to pump people's gas too and people steal poo poo out of your barn, so the pace feels kinda frenetic.
Hardspace: Shipbreaker - Love it. Put it down to wait for the last update but it's blast.

Ooh, this list is my entire thing. What Farm Sim games are the best, by the estimates of the thread?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I want to go back in time on My Summer Car, but I’m not sure I can pinpoint the exact moment.

My take is that the dev recognized he caught lightning in a bottle with the weirdly punishing, difficult car sim and then in one moment misunderstood that people didn’t want increasing difficulty beyond a certain, fairly arbitrary point.

Certain things like spark plugs going bad and tires wearing out and having to replace those things within the span what’s supposed to be two or three months driving no further than one Finnish lake is just nut punching. The challenge in the game should be *me.* I don’t know how to put a car together and I did something dumb, so I crashed. It shouldn’t be that I drove 40 miles and now random parts are highly worn for no good reason. Time to go back out on the firewood job, you’ve hosed up your car again despite babying it.

I really wish he hadn’t leaned into the arbitrary “gently caress you’s.”

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I personally love My Summer Car but think Mon Bazou is a better and more fun game. Like I respect what MSC does but if I just wanna chill for a bit Mon Bazou hits that a lot better.

I love games that are just "do jobs in an environment" though and we seem to have a trend more towards this sort of thing so I'm a happy person.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I want to go back in time on My Summer Car, but I’m not sure I can pinpoint the exact moment.

My take is that the dev recognized he caught lightning in a bottle with the weirdly punishing, difficult car sim and then in one moment misunderstood that people didn’t want increasing difficulty beyond a certain, fairly arbitrary point.

Certain things like spark plugs going bad and tires wearing out and having to replace those things within the span what’s supposed to be two or three months driving no further than one Finnish lake is just nut punching. The challenge in the game should be *me.* I don’t know how to put a car together and I did something dumb, so I crashed. It shouldn’t be that I drove 40 miles and now random parts are highly worn for no good reason. Time to go back out on the firewood job, you’ve hosed up your car again despite babying it.

I really wish he hadn’t leaned into the arbitrary “gently caress you’s.”

I agree, it is way too hard and have too much stuff that you just "need to know". It is impossible to play this game without a guide and I am not even talking about building the car. Just having to travel to the shop at first to buy oil and some fan-belt or something (can't remember exactly) is a complete chore. It takes ages to get there and usually by the time I get there the store has closed so you have to sit around and wait for what feels an eternity. Maybe I am doing something wrong but how do I know, there is absolutely no "tutorial" or indication on what you can/should do in this game. It is an amazing game and I love driving around pumping raw sewage but man, it is hard.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Playing Stormworks. Like it's janky, now doubt about it. It's worth it though because my submarine blew up while I was alt-tabbed, and I think it was a torpedo ala Kursk, but probably due to a collision issue in the bow. I was in the engine room in the stern and it's the only compartment that didn't flood because I had the door closed to access the poo poo behind it. So now it's on the ocean floor. I came back with a someone's build of a loving NOAA vessel with a little mini sub with a moonpool to bring the sub back, plus whatever else you find down there. Like holy poo poo. And then on the way I turned the wind up to maximum and the sea started pitching and rolling.

TjyvTompa posted:

I agree, it is way too hard and have too much stuff that you just "need to know". It is impossible to play this game without a guide and I am not even talking about building the car. Just having to travel to the shop at first to buy oil and some fan-belt or something (can't remember exactly) is a complete chore. It takes ages to get there and usually by the time I get there the store has closed so you have to sit around and wait for what feels an eternity. Maybe I am doing something wrong but how do I know, there is absolutely no "tutorial" or indication on what you can/should do in this game. It is an amazing game and I love driving around pumping raw sewage but man, it is hard.

:same: I'm over the commuting to get stuff together and the ridiculous part wear. Granted, the wear at least makes you get back under the hood. The "make everything ludicrously tedious and hard" joke is getting old.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Are you carrying heavy cars, or driving the loco backwards?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Just a headsup, Tank Mechanic Simulator is 66% off on Steam until Feb 18th.

I've found it oddly relaxing playing puzzle pieces with tanks. Also, I planned to make an american museum collection... and then the next five extractions the game threw at me, in the sequence, an Sdkfz.250 halftrack, a Panzer IV, a King Tiger, a Panzer IIIM and a Tiger. Gee, it sure wants me to re-evaluate that plan of mine. :v:

On a sidenote, you can absolutely see which tanks got put in later via patch or DLC. The complexity of later ones stands out a lot. I think the BT-7 may have more components to worry about than the freakin' Tiger, outside the running gear anyway.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 14, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1198970/I_Am_Jesus_Christ/

So Playway is making some more sims.

... Jesus Christ Simulator!

Doing the miracle of the loaves and fishes with all the models clipping on scenery and flying off :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Jesus Simulator 1 AD

Dunno, we could workshop the title, Im not feeling it