Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Regardless of writing quality garth ennis can gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Good for you, I guess? I'm sure I don't give a gently caress about something you like. The wonderful width of humanity, I suppose.
My bologna has a second name too

Improbable Lobster posted:

Regardless of writing quality garth ennis can gently caress off
:hmmyes:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Punisher as Frankenstein is the only true Punisher.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I tried reading The Boys graphic novel because the show is very good and I put it down half way through the first volume. Homophobic, racist edgelord trash. I honestly can't believe someone turned that turd into something worth watching. Garth Ennis sucks poo poo.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I tried reading The Boys graphic novel because the show is very good and I put it down half way through the first volume. Homophobic, racist edgelord trash. I honestly can't believe someone turned that turd into something worth watching. Garth Ennis sucks poo poo.

Yeah, Ennis' comics tend to veer into edgy garbage extremely quickly. It's incredible that both The Boys and (to a lesser degree) Preacher turned out to be pretty good shows.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He has some good runs, but that's when he has someone working over him or with him to keep him in line.

Hitman was goofy as gently caress but also had some genuinely good moments, and the superman issue is one of my all time favorites.

When he's left on his own, kinda like Miller, he goes off on some weird, hosed up tangents and it all turns to poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Moonfall is an interesting story stuck in a Roland Emmerich film. The movie is about how the Earth's Moon is a giant spaceship built by ancient aliens with a White Dwarf star power source and then the movie spends so much time on the logistics of getting to the Moon and even once the space stuff happens it keeps cutting back to Earth with a bunch of scenes that are just characters running around.

Also there are a couple of lines dick sucking Elon Musk for no reason. Like a character goes "What would Elon do?" when trying to figure out his next move and then later that same character calls him a great man for (off screen) letting NASA use some Space-X equipment.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Star Trek mentioned Muskyboi already, he probably has executives three deep outside his zeppelin hangar begging for permission to enshrine his name as the saviour of humanity in their next project.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yeah, there's decent moments in there too, like Hughie has a bit where he calls out butcher for using transphobic slurs and how even he knows you don't deliberately use the wrong pronouns--which is probably more than you get from a lot of early 00s media--but when it gets bad it gets bad. Like I think Ennis understands that all these things are bad, and he uses them to try and signal to you the reader that these characters aren't really all that good. But he leans into it way too much imo and it definitely feels like he goes edgy for the sake of being edgy.

The show is absolutely the better version in my mind without question. Especially after changing everything about MM besides the name.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Didn't all of the male Seven (minus The Deep) rape Starlight as an initiation in the comics?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Didn't all of the male Seven (minus The Deep) rape Starlight as an initiation in the comics?

Yes. It was super gross.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
As someone who read the entirety of The Boys…yeah it was poo poo,you did right by quitting early.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

As someone who read the entirety of The Boys…yeah it was poo poo,you did right by quitting early.

A friend of mine didn't listen to me when I said "just don't because it's not very good" and he made it to the end and went "yeah I should have listened to you"

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
You guys should read Crossed. I haven't but you should.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I only read 1970s Dracula comics

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaunab posted:

I read the first arc and some assorted extras

It has a villain named Horsecock

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Len posted:

I read the first arc and some assorted extras

It has a villain named Horsecock

Why do they call him that?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gaunab posted:

You guys should read Crossed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

oldpainless posted:

Why do they call him that?

Because he beats people to death with a horsecock

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Samovar posted:

Especially since him and Jackson are evidence against Hammond's whole 'Spared no expense' spiel.

The "spared no expense" stuff is just that Hammond is an out of touch millionaire.

They indeed spared no expense on the shiny paint coats of the jeeps, on the luxury hotel, on the merchandise he wants to sell to tourists, on the catering services etc.

But on the actual day to day maintenance, and park infrastructure, sure he might have waved a blank cheque in front of whatever accountant was doing the hiring, but he didn't pay any attention to it, nor did he even notice. Why would he, the 5 star chef employed at the hotel showed him that all was good and expensive, therefore right.

Edit: Unrelated very stupid, very silly, very pointless question:

So Donald Duck wears a sailor outfit as standard yeah? Do we know if he was ever in the navy? What was his rank? Did he retire, or was he dishonourably discharged due to his rage issues?

It's a stupid question based off a stupid thing. But nerds often go deep into backstories/canon/reasons for little things in characters costumes, and there is no nerd like a Disney nerd.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Feb 5, 2022

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

muscles like this! posted:

Moonfall is an interesting story stuck in a Roland Emmerich film. The movie is about how the Earth's Moon is a giant spaceship built by ancient aliens with a White Dwarf star power source and then the movie spends so much time on the logistics of getting to the Moon and even once the space stuff happens it keeps cutting back to Earth with a bunch of scenes that are just characters running around.

One of the scienticians in this film is alarmed because the moon "has entered an elliptical orbit."

Another one gives a value for the moon's gravity in "square meters."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Roland Emmerich movie is stupid and full of nonsensical the techno babble.

Water wet, sky blue.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

BrigadierSensible posted:

So Donald Duck wears a sailor outfit as standard yeah? Do we know if he was ever in the navy? What was his rank? Did he retire, or was he dishonourably discharged due to his rage issues?
Stolen Valor.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's the whole reason Huey, Dewey and Louie ended up with Scrooge originally, Donald was reenlisted.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

It's a stupid question based off a stupid thing. But nerds often go deep into backstories/canon/reasons for little things in characters costumes, and there is no nerd like a Disney nerd.

Donald was in the army during World War II and retired as a buck sergeant before later joining the navy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Dr dolittle 3: There's a part where the girl who can talk to animals is at a bar or whatever and gets up on stage and says she's going to sing some "hick hop". It irrationally irritates me as a hick hop connoisseur because that's not what it was. It was just hip hop but people in cowboy outfits were dancing to it. didn't even have a mandolin in it

also I'm really glad that cliche of someone starting to dance at a prom or whatever and everyone starts copying her exactly (despite having know way of knowing what the moves were going to be) died out as a way to show that the "weird" character is actually cool. "Do the Urkel" gets a pass though.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Feb 6, 2022

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Gaunab posted:

I did, at least a bit of it anyway. Its....not good

Also, I love Roland Emmerich's dumb idiot movies so much and I can't wait to see Moonfall. I really hope there is an estranged father character trying to unite with his family in the face of the global disaster and also a noble stepfather who sacrifices himself so estranged father can get back together with his wife by the end of the movie

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Donald was in the army during World War II and retired as a bduck sergeant before later joining the navy.

Fixed that for you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did, at least a bit of it anyway. Its....not good

Also, I love Roland Emmerich's dumb idiot movies so much and I can't wait to see Moonfall. I really hope there is an estranged father character trying to unite with his family in the face of the global disaster and also a noble stepfather who sacrifices himself so estranged father can get back together with his wife by the end of the movie

While the wife and husband don't get back together (on screen) the stepfather does sacrifice himself.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He played college ball, you know.

Could have gone pro, if he hadn't joined the navy

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"... Donald Duck holds a special place in animation history as the only Disney character to have officially served his country and been recognized for that service. ..."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Donald wasn’t too particular as to what side he was on, only that he was allowed to kill

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It was just hip hop but people in cowboy outfits were dancing to it. didn't even have a mandolin in it

It's okay, he's got his own show now, anyway.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Watching Red Lights and this just happened

Edit: the dimming thing is because I paused the movie to angrily take screenshots

credburn has a new favorite as of 07:22 on Feb 6, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

Donald wasn’t too particular as to what side he was on, only that he was allowed to kill

To anyone alarmed, I believe canonically Donald was having a nightmare

about war crimes he'd previously committed in the service of the Third Reich

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Actually is Dolan

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

flavor.flv posted:

I want to see more of Nedry in Jurassic Park, especially since the few glimpses we do get of his day to day work makes him seem pretty justified in betraying Hammond. It's just him and Samuel L Jackson's character running this entire multibillion dollar island complex and it's pretty clear he doesn't like it there either, but he copes by just half-assing his job and piling more stuff on Nedry until his boss orders him to go get ripped to pieces by velociraptors and there's nobody else to do it

I'd like to see a version where the focus is on Nedry making his way through the whole park as his preprogrammed timers go off, maybe doing a cat and mouse game with Arnold trying to figure out where he's going next

The book makes it completely clear that Nedry is 100% justified in betraying Hammond. He is an independent contractor who was brought in to write the software and is now being blackmailed by Hammond to stay on for free. Basically, Hammond wanted a poo poo-ton of changes to the software and is arguing that they should be covered by the original contract and threatening to tell Nedry's other clients that he is unreliable if he doesn't do it without extra pay. By the time Biosyn contacts him, Nedry has already riddled the park software with security holes and back-doors, just on the off chance that he would get an opportunity to gently caress with Hammond.

Like you, I would have loved to see more of this kind of stuff. The book is much more overt about Hammond being an evil capitalist who treats his employees like poo poo.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SimonChris posted:

The book makes it completely clear that Nedry is 100% justified in betraying Hammond. He is an independent contractor who was brought in to write the software and is now being blackmailed by Hammond to stay on for free. Basically, Hammond wanted a poo poo-ton of changes to the software and is arguing that they should be covered by the original contract and threatening to tell Nedry's other clients that he is unreliable if he doesn't do it without extra pay. By the time Biosyn contacts him, Nedry has already riddled the park software with security holes and back-doors, just on the off chance that he would get an opportunity to gently caress with Hammond.

Like you, I would have loved to see more of this kind of stuff. The book is much more overt about Hammond being an evil capitalist who treats his employees like poo poo.

Yeah he's the one that gets killed by the compys too, not Peter Stormare in the sequel.

But he's got to be all gobsmacked granddad for Spielberg reasons.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's a more interesting character in the movie. He's a cartoon billionaire rear end in a top hat in the book. Most of Gennaro's lines are his in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

What would be interesting about the character of Nedry is if you removed the fact that he is

A: fat
B: messy/sloppy
C: played by Newman

There’s a good chance many people wouldn’t see him as a villain