Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Say what you like about Ricky Gervais but if you think the office was bad you're insane

It does suffer a bit from Seinfeld Syndrome, in that if you only started watching sitcoms in a post-Office world it all seems horribly dated and derivative, but that's because (for good or ill) everyone that came after it pretty much had to copy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the office and father ted were good comedies for their day but their success caused a co-writer of each to get a bit too carried away with themselves imo

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Say what you like about Ricky Gervais but if you think the office was bad you're insane

It was overrated at the time, but it was a solid show. There's just always a rush when a performer outs themself as a poo poo to retroactively declare that anything they ever touched was poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I want to watch someone be extremely cringey I can just go outside and speak and experience it firsthand.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I still watch Seinfeld on Netflix and most of it still holds up. Never liked The Office the first time round though, and people kept saying you just need to keep at it and then it becomes enjoyable, I guess like toxoplasmosis or huffing leaded petrol.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I do like that Gervais is such an insecure little whiner that when a single journalist happened to write that he thought that dinnerladies was better than The Office that the entire second series of Extras is taking the piss out of a terrible straw man of dinnerladies.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I do like that Gervais is such an insecure little whiner that when a single journalist happened to write that he thought that dinnerladies was better than The Office that the entire second series of Extras is taking the piss out of a terrible straw man of dinnerladies.

Lol christ is that why that happened? Yeah that's really on type for him.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I still watch Seinfeld on Netflix and most of it still holds up. Never liked The Office the first time round though, and people kept saying you just need to keep at it and then it becomes enjoyable, I guess like toxoplasmosis or huffing leaded petrol.

I just finished a full nine season run of Seinfeld, never seen it before, and it does hold up pretty well. It feels more savvy with its characters than Friends, it recognised right off the bat that Jerry and Elaine shouldn't be paired up, while Friends kept that tedious schtick up for ten whole seasons. Even Kramer stayed pretty consistent when they could have had him literally jump the shark.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Friends was a weird one for me. It used to be THE thing to watch, living in a student flat of 8 at the time, and all of us would come down and watch the newest episode religiously.
Then a few seasons in something in the brain when ping and just saw it as the same five jokes over and over and over and over again. Hated it since as with most US sitcoms from that time.
If I ever go on an on the spur killer rampage, it will be just after watching Everyone Loves Raymond.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I'm sure people are old enough to remember The 11 O'Clock Show on C4, where Gervais would come on for 5 mins every now and then, essentially doing a more arrogant prick version of his Office part, and consistently go down like a lead balloon with the live audience and presenters. So my response when everyone (lol) in the office said 'Awwww did you watch The Office?!! It's amazing!' and I find out it's him, I did not. I have seen most of it later, but not because of him.

Plus he drags down every single film he cameos in, gently caress watching something that he's the lead in. But apparently at my local I'm in the wrong because After Life is genius. it may well be, I'm never watching it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I liked the US office but not the UK one and I'm not sure Ricky Gervais is capable of playing anyone other than his actual self.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1489954135491416065

Hmm, gonna need to see today's newspaper in this video before I believe it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Theres a character in "After Life" (which is utter garbage, even by his standards) that got a lot of people thinking that he was written as an attack on James Corden, which he denies but I absolutely believe, and its probably revenge for the time Corden did a surprisingly excellent mockery of him on his sketch show.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I hate Gervais. The only thing he’s decent in is Muppets Most Wanted, where he stretched his acting abilities to play a prick.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My new manager is 1) 24 years old and 2) adores After Life. I had to be very diplomatic about my Gervais opinions.

Got an interview for a new job in a couple of weeks! Unrelated to her, though, she's all right, she just has strange taste.

When I mentioned Meat Loaf died she said 'Is that a person?' in honest bewilderment. fuckin infant baby

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why is her cake wonky? Also that looks like the saddest party ever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's no BoJo party, that's for sure.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

The Office is an observational comedy, but while the accuracy of the observation can't be faulted, what it's observing just isn't amusing. I don't know a single person who liked it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Every public figure I have ever had a crush on is a monster, even the ones I previously thought were good or at least just neutral, lol

https://twitter.com/VictoriaCoren/status/1490042865099190273?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Condolences on your parahybristophilia.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I loved the office and still think it’s great.

At the time I thought Gervais was playing a character fantastically. And now I realise it’s the only one he can play, and it’s an exaggeration of himself.

Merchant is great, and I suspect was the real brains.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

The Office is an observational comedy, but while the accuracy of the observation can't be faulted, what it's observing just isn't amusing. I don't know a single person who liked it.

it's a show about a group of horrible people being horrible to each other, I get enough of that in real life without having it take up my leisure time as well

Mebh
May 10, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Every public figure I have ever had a crush on is a monster, even the ones I previously thought were good or at least just neutral, lol

It's almost like money and fame insulate you from the rest of the world, give you a skewed perspective on others and lead you to being a terrible person.

Not to mention the general level of inherent narcissism generally required to seek out a life in the spotlight.

Course there are good eggs but the system is very much weighted against them.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1490083210386104324?s=21

“Before I go everyone should know that I absolutely want Camilla to be called Queen, once I die; at some point but not now!!”

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The only good Office is the US version. I've only just recently finished bingeing it, and I'm still sad that it's over :(

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

That's going to go down like a lead balloon..

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I actually really liked the way the US office adapted the original and did its own thing. It was a bit saccharine for me in parts especially towards the end, overlong, and the whole thing doesn't even try to hide the fact it's capitalist propaganda, but when it was good it really nailed it. That dinner party episode was incredible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communist Bear posted:

That's going to go down like a lead balloon..

Yeah I can't imagine there are many people who would be super pleased to replace THE QUEEN with queen camilla lmao.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Goldskull posted:

I'm sure people are old enough to remember The 11 O'Clock Show on C4, where Gervais would come on for 5 mins every now and then, essentially doing a more arrogant prick version of his Office part, and consistently go down like a lead balloon with the live audience and presenters. So my response when everyone (lol) in the office said 'Awwww did you watch The Office?!! It's amazing!' and I find out it's him, I did not. I have seen most of it later, but not because of him.
Thank Christ, I'm not the only one! I liked The 11 O'clock Show - except for Gervais, whose shtick I pretty much instantly realised was "I'm a smug gently caress in a leather jacket who's going to say something really offensive and when the audience react accordingly to it, go 'What? What did I say?' Then double down on it and say something even worse." Because of my dislike of him I've never seen a single episode of The Office, and the only reason I watched a couple of episodes of Extras was for the guest stars. (He at least gave Patrick Stewart an additional catchphrase, I'll give him that.)

Never liked Carr either, or a lot of the Mock The Weak - er, Week - crew he rolls with. It's all nasty, punching-down edgelord humour of the kind I last liked in my 20s - which was probably when they were in their 20s, but they're still doing it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Seems like we're at the "but he's not a bad person, he doesn't constantly shout Holocaust jokes in private" stage of the Carr reckoning then.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I can't imagine there are many people who would be super pleased to replace THE QUEEN with queen camilla lmao.
Also my son's regnal name has to be Charles Stuart Detach Crown Here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is going to be interesting I think when THE QUEEN has basically been a societal constant for the entirety of most people's lives, going to be weird when people have to start qualifying which one they mean.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I honestly think having a different face on the money and stamps that boomers don't recognise as mummy will break more soft royalism than the actual atrocities of Prince Rupert of the Rhine.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

It is going to be interesting I think when THE QUEEN has basically been a societal constant for the entirety of most people's lives, going to be weird when people have to start qualifying which one they mean.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
honestly if the royals have got any sense of self-preservation left whatsoever they should skip charles and just make william king, imo

i don't see the monarchy doing good in any case once Liz officially dies, but at least william is just plain and boring and not a walking charisma void

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you don't hurry up he's gonna end up looking indistinguishable from charles anyway.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Ricky Gervais was loving poo poo on the 11 O’clock Show and at the time the idea he’d get his own sitcom was ludicrous. But there’s no denying that The Office was an incredible achievement, and as much as I’d like to give all the credit to Stephen Merchant neither of their work has been as good since (though Gervais’ is far, far worse).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mebh posted:

It's almost like money and fame insulate you from the rest of the world, give you a skewed perspective on others and lead you to being a terrible person.

Not to mention the general level of inherent narcissism generally required to seek out a life in the spotlight.

Course there are good eggs but the system is very much weighted against them.

How, honestly, are you supposed to detect a bellend in the wild when you grew up with Giles Coren?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BizarroAzrael posted:

How, honestly, are you supposed to detect a bellend in the wild when you grew up with Giles Coren?

you know i always wondered how she and her husband ended up together but then i saw her on taskmaster and it's like oh i totally get it now

anyway i'm full of unpopular opinions i know but three sitcoms i can't loving stand: seinfeld, the office (any of them), friends

i agree merchant seems like something of a good egg, perhaps. ricky gervais can gently caress himself though, he just seems a complete prick

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The rare triple threat.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ask their opinion on African American cuisine and see if it sounds like something your brother would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

ThomasPaine posted:

These people will use Corbyn's statement about a couple of specific Jewish people not understanding irony as a grave antisemitic slur, but if he'd simply joked about the murder of millions of Jews then that would have been acceptable, apparently. And dear God I'm not even strawmanning here, Victoria Coren literally said it would have been fine in a later tweet.