Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Phillby posted:

I didn t get that at all?

I got that you were arguing they shouldn't add the mod to the game offically from you saying it was bad for new players?

Theres also no mod support for console players which is why i think they should fold the mod that everyone uses into the game itself.

I'm definitely inclined toward "this information should be in the game in some form," albeit maybe not with as much specificity as the mod/wiki provide. Wonder what a reasonable gate would be to allow new players the joy of discovery, while also starting to provide more info as the novelty wears off. Hell, item details could even be generously provided unlocks, or maybe they're only shown the second time you've acquired the item (so you'd have some fun little "ooOOOOHHHHhh that's what it does" moments).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

That idea is really solid, hell make it even more tboi and have a sliding scale of no description at 1-4 times taking the item, cryptic at 5-9, and full at 10+.

reveals them good synergies at 20+

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just make the mod an option that’s off by default. That’s exactly what they did with Missing HUD, now part of the game as Found HUD.

If you’re going to give it some kind of restriction, I think the best solution is to have it only work for items you have picked up at least once before. Simple and effective, and the game already tracks which items you’ve picked up.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Everyone should have to do it like i did and watch 100 hours of YouTube players before knowing what every item does.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Ariong posted:

Just make the mod an option that’s off by default. That’s exactly what they did with Missing HUD, now part of the game as Found HUD.

If you’re going to give it some kind of restriction, I think the best solution is to have it only work for items you have picked up at least once before. Simple and effective, and the game already tracks which items you’ve picked up.

that is not isaac enough, make it 50 times for a hint that is misleading, only briefly appears on the screen, and is obscured by curse of darkness.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Tainted Lillith is a lot of fun. She's really strong but you don't really think about how much of a pain in the rear end it is to be fat and slow until it's cost you 5 hearts in the same room.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tainted Jacob might be my favorite now that I've gotten used to abusing the gently caress out of Esau.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Pro-Tip: Sword of Damocles and Satanic Bible is actually a bad combo bc you still only get one devil item after a boss instead of the intended two pedestals. Seems like an oversight, having two devil items, both costing a heart, would make way more sense with Damocles.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Got an awesome Tainted Lost run that got me my Mother post-it clear.

After that I got a little too big for my britches and started doing Greedier Runs with T. Lost. A true exercise in frustration, I can't count the number of times I've gotten killed by a shot from offscreen or an enemy spawning under me.

Biggest heartbreaker was getting killed trying to bomb a fire in the room right before Ultra Greed. I had strawman + nancy bombs and some bad combo of bombs got me killed.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

Got an awesome Tainted Lost run that got me my Mother post-it clear.

After that I got a little too big for my britches and started doing Greedier Runs with T. Lost. A true exercise in frustration, I can't count the number of times I've gotten killed by a shot from offscreen or an enemy spawning under me.

Biggest heartbreaker was getting killed trying to bomb a fire in the room right before Ultra Greed. I had strawman + nancy bombs and some bad combo of bombs got me killed.

I made it to phase 2 of Greed with T. Lost and haven't come close since. When I stopped last night, I was up to -53 on my streak counter. Enemies spawning under you is the one I hate the most. There's literally no where safe to stand when the timer hits 0.

Also gently caress those meat enemies that shimmy in one spot quickly and shoot in a cross pattern. I had a unique one last night that was on fire so it's extra jittery and it also had two flies. It took me well over a minute to kill it because the window for being able to shoot a tear at it was so small between dodging the tears and finding a gap in the flies.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

hooray i get a do over on my shameful double blood puppy attempt

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I’m addicted to crooked penny.

https://i.imgur.com/Q7CLe62.mp4

Also upset that BFF doesn't stack in some absurd way.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Oh cool, Plan C doesn't work on Ultra Greed anymore so there goes another Tainted Lost run down the drain. :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Also gently caress those meat enemies that shimmy in one spot quickly and shoot in a cross pattern. I had a unique one last night that was on fire so it's extra jittery and it also had two flies. It took me well over a minute to kill it because the window for being able to shoot a tear at it was so small between dodging the tears and finding a gap in the flies.

If I see burning basement I'm tempted to just re-roll. Those guys and the flaming leapers are just so ridiculous compared to anything else they throw at you that early.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

clotty and lump are the most unfun enemies in the game.

the newest update also introduced this new room on the first and second floor that is loving bullshit too. It's an L-shaped room that has horfs in the middle protected by rocks that can only be hit with tears coming in diagonally, or you just have to take damage to kill them. it's 100% bullshit and a complete timer waster.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Too Many Birds posted:

the newest update also introduced this new room on the first and second floor that is loving bullshit too. It's an L-shaped room that has horfs in the middle protected by rocks that can only be hit with tears coming in diagonally, or you just have to take damage to kill them. it's 100% bullshit and a complete timer waster.

I use a mod that removes lumps from the game entirely and I will never stop using it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Too Many Birds posted:

ultimately i just end up going to downpour at the end of floor 1 every time. it's supposed to be harder than basement but since it doesn't have a bunch of bullshit afterbirth+ rooms it's actually easier in addition to being more rewarding. same goes for mines vs caves honestly. my isaac experience has been dramatically improved by never seeing basement 2 or caves

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jazerus posted:

ultimately i just end up going to downpour at the end of floor 1 every time. it's supposed to be harder than basement but since it doesn't have a bunch of bullshit afterbirth+ rooms it's actually easier in addition to being more rewarding. same goes for mines vs caves honestly. my isaac experience has been dramatically improved by never seeing basement 2 or caves

Caves to me is preferable bc I get annoyed by ghosts and don't really like the wave-based boss in Mines but I def agree on Downpour.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Both Downpour and Flooded Caves cause me issues where the enemies sometimes blend into the floor and I can't see them, hell Flooded Caves may be my least favorite level in the game.

I've also been getting a room lately that is three stonies following me while there's usually a bunch of other enemies in the room, and it just takes forever due to most of my shots being stuffed by the stonies, especially if I haven't gotten a damage upgrade.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Nothing quite matches the feeling of losing a bitchin' T Lost run due to accidentally walking too close to a blood donation machine

Bastard should really respect holy card.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I did it! Took me over 70 tries, but I beat greedier with tainted lost! Gello carried me the whole way and I got lucky with phase 2 of ultra greed and it never threw bombs at me. That was my last character I needed completion with and I never have to touch a greedier run ever again. I can play the real game again!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

poemdexter posted:

I did it! Took me over 70 tries, but I beat greedier with tainted lost! Gello carried me the whole way and I got lucky with phase 2 of ultra greed and it never threw bombs at me. That was my last character I needed completion with and I never have to touch a greedier run ever again. I can play the real game again!

Congrats! I'm hoping to be able to say the same soon. Just got a run in with my morning coffee and got killed by the Wrath spawn that spawns in a bunch of troll bombs. That one is real fun.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

PantsBandit posted:

Congrats! I'm hoping to be able to say the same soon. Just got a run in with my morning coffee and got killed by the Wrath spawn that spawns in a bunch of troll bombs. That one is real fun.

Countless runs were lost to troll bombs spawning so I wouldn't sweat it. Gello and Sprinkler are my two items where my "i might make it" hope skyrockets. Gello is just crazy strong at getting you through the waves and bosses as long as you don't get lasered from off screen.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Welp, didn't realize how soon it would be! Just got my clear!

Spoon-bender + mom's knife + brimstone + knockout-drops + sprinkler + 4.5 volt

I had about 7 sprinklers down in the Ultra Greed fight firing constant, homing knives that stunned on impact. Greed didn't even get to move from the corner.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

PantsBandit posted:

Caves to me is preferable bc I get annoyed by ghosts and don't really like the wave-based boss in Mines but I def agree on Downpour.

As an aside I learned the other day that if you use a chaos card on great Gideon a bonus crawl space appears that has chests and items apparently. Haven't been able to try myself yet though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Tainted Eve is so buggy for me, it's a bummer. I keep getting into situations where I have tons of clots to convert but for some reason Sumptorium refuses to put them back on my health bar.

It's weird that I can find so little mention of this bug. I found one reddit post that seems to mention it but that's pretty much all.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Tainted Eve is so buggy for me, it's a bummer. I keep getting into situations where I have tons of clots to convert but for some reason Sumptorium refuses to put them back on my health bar.

It's weird that I can find so little mention of this bug. I found one reddit post that seems to mention it but that's pretty much all.

I usually see this if I have too many variations of clots at the same time, like red, blue, rotten, gold, etc. The only solution I've found is to keep using Sumptorium and after 1-2 uses it will have refilled your health bar with clots.

Cool bug I found with The Emperor?-card: Using it in the special membership card shop softlocks your game, because the ladder in the special shop leads back to the extra boss room with no escape.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I usually see this if I have too many variations of clots at the same time, like red, blue, rotten, gold, etc. The only solution I've found is to keep using Sumptorium and after 1-2 uses it will have refilled your health bar with clots.

Cool bug I found with The Emperor?-card: Using it in the special membership card shop softlocks your game, because the ladder in the special shop leads back to the extra boss room with no escape.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Nope, still not working. Gif to show that I'm not losing my mind:

https://i.imgur.com/8E5g7Pw.mp4

Update: I just did a few more rooms and fought mom and now Sumptorium is working again. It is a buggy mystery.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 4, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Think I figured out a solution. Sumptorium only seems to activate a certain number of clots at once and if it's trying to activate nothing but red clots and you don't have enough red health space, it just doesn't do anything.

What finally helped for me is using the trigger to leave them behind and let Eve move around the room a little. That seems to shake something loose in Sumptorium and let it proc on the other clots so now I'm getting my soul and black hearts activated again.

Edit: Well now it's bugged again so idk. This poo poo is really annoying, not being able to pull clots back in fundamentally breaks the character. Can't believe I'm the only one seeing this consistently, it happens almost every Tainted Eve run I play.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 5, 2022

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Too Many Birds posted:

clottys are obnoxious but at least you can fight them normally, lumps just straight up seem to be missing animations

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

There's a mod that adds one extra frame to lumps and it makes them entirely reasonable

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

all right, i picked this game up and bought all the dlc after not playing it for a couple of years. Any good challenges or runs I should shoot for to get the cool stuff unlocked? I can pretty reliably get passed the womb, especially if I go tryhard mode with isaac and the D6. I dont give a poo poo about spoilers, I always play with platinum god opened to know what the items are. Kinda overwhelmed atm but its nice having soooo many different items and builds available for a rougelike; love getting that magic run with an insanely overpowered build

also, any good tips for playing coop? My buddy talked me into picking this back up and we had a pretty fun run, but we blew it near the end

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you always play with platinumgod open, just get the external item descriptions and encyclopedia mods. they're basically in-game platinumgod with some stuff from the wiki for good measure.

as far as unlocking the cool poo poo, the big one i can think of that you might not unlock very quickly organically is birthright, which is a shop item with powerful effects that vary for each character. once you get jacob & esau you should take them up to the chest ASAP no matter how much you hate playing as them in order to unlock it.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

all right, i picked this game up and bought all the dlc after not playing it for a couple of years. Any good challenges or runs I should shoot for to get the cool stuff unlocked? I can pretty reliably get passed the womb, especially if I go tryhard mode with isaac and the D6. I dont give a poo poo about spoilers, I always play with platinum god opened to know what the items are. Kinda overwhelmed atm but its nice having soooo many different items and builds available for a rougelike; love getting that magic run with an insanely overpowered build

also, any good tips for playing coop? My buddy talked me into picking this back up and we had a pretty fun run, but we blew it near the end

Kill Moms Heart ten times and Hush three times to unlock the alt path and a ton of new unlocks.

All of the first 20 challenges (except #11, skip that one) unlocks strong items, cards or runes. Between challenge 21-35 you might want to look at 23 (gold bomb), 32 (gives Maggy a full heal pill at the start of every run), 33 (charged key). The repentance challenges (36-45) all have good or extremely powerful unlocks.

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 5, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

edit: wrong thread

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
external item descriptions owns

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Kill Moms Heart ten times and Hush three times to unlock the alt path and a ton of new unlocks.

All of the first 20 challenges (except #11, skip that one) unlocks strong items, cards or runes. Between challenge 21-35 you might want to look at 23 (gold bomb), 32 (gives Maggy a full heal pill at the start of every run), 33 (charged key). The repentance challenges (36-45) all have good or extremely powerful unlocks.

Oh yeah definitely don't sleep on the challenges. I would also advise once you're comfortable with Greed Mode switching to hard/greedier mode as you'll get both unlocks at once and speed up the donation machine progress and the changes aren't that bad if you're not super used to the original Greed mode. Shop donation machine upgrades are also very powerful and persist across runs and unfortunately are one of the only really tedious metagrinds in the game, so don't neglect them.

edit: also with runes specifically there's no advantage to selectively only unlocking the best ones -- if a rune would drop that's still locked, instead it's replaced with a Rune Shard that gives a significantly weaker version of a random rune effect

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ive never played greed mode. Whats that like?

ive also never fought hush before. drat, gotta git gud huh

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ive never played greed mode. Whats that like?

ive also never fought hush before. drat, gotta git gud huh

in greed mode you're stuck in a single big room and fight waves of enemies, kind of like a tower defense thing but without the towers. after 10 waves (with an optional 11th wave to unlock a devil/angel deal) you go to the next floor and repeat. each wave except the 11th rewards you with coins which you spend in a big shop attached to the big central room; there's also a treasure room, a special treasure room containing a boss reward item, a curse room, and a super secret room on each floor

some people hate it but i think it's pretty fun. definitely a different take on the game

hush used to be a real fucker but he's not so bad in repentance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
And greedier mode is just the hard version of that. Harder enemies and the short timer before the next wave means that it's easy to get a large number of enemies on screen if your DPS isn't good. You also get fewer coins so can't buy as many items.