Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

was battleship Washington named for Washington, the capitol, or Washington, the northwestern state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Radio Free Kobold posted:

was battleship Washington named for Washington, the capitol, or Washington, the northwestern state?

after the banknote

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The state. All BBs are for states.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

Updated bracket:

Only the best of the best are left as we head to the final four. I feel like Rich will struggle mightily with Yamato, but Iowa/SoDak is a borderline tossup.

So, upsets so far are:
  • #17 Fuso over #16 Ise +1
  • #9 Nelson over #8 King George V +1
  • #19 Scharnhorst over #14 Hood +5
  • #27 Dunkerque over #6 North Carolina +21
  • #10 Littorio over #7 Bismarck +3
  • #20 Tennessee over #13 Nagato +7
  • #21 Pennsylvania over #12 Queen Elizabeth +9
  • #5 Richelieu over #4 Vanguard +1
Those are mostly pretty tight, with an average of 6 places between the upper and lower seed. Dunkerque-NC is the biggest upset and also the weirdest fight; excluding it drops the average difference in seed to 3.86. Penn-QE seems like pretty generous seeding for QE to me (above Nagato, Hood, and New Mexico?). And Tennessee-Nagato illustrates how tight the middle of the bracket is.

It'd be interesting to run this with a double-elimination bracket and see how well the losers stack up against one another. Will the seeding continue to hold up? With the AI changes I'd expect North Carolina to roll over just about every other round-of-32 loser with ease, along with most of the round-of-16 losers as well.

Looking ahead, I expect Iowa-South Dakota to be a toss-up. Iowa's speed advantage is near meaningless since the ships are otherwise about identical. Yamato should be advantaged over Richelieu, but with the overperformance we've seen by 15-inchers against her and Richelieu's otherwise stellar characteristics, things could get very interesting. Or a lucky 18" hit will knock out half of Richelieu's main battery at 30 thousand yards.

All US battleships are named after states except Kearsarge.

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, they didn't? It's just that the Iowa-class mostly ended up as landlocked states due to chance - but even there exists New Jersey. Maryland and California were on Battleship Row. The North Carolina-class was North Carolina and Washington. Etc., etc.

Don't forget Massachusetts and Alabama in the SoDak group.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Discounting Hawaii and Alaska (since they were both territories when we were still building battleships) there's literally only one state that never had a battleship carry its name - Montana, which got screwed over not once but twice. Its name was slated for the Montana-class (obviously), but it was also one of the names selected for the cancelled South Dakota(1920)-class.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, they didn't? It's just that the Iowa-class mostly ended up as landlocked states due to chance - but even there exists New Jersey.

I wouldn't necessarily call Wisconsin landlocked either.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Honestly they should've taken care to name more of them after landlocked states so we could've had fewer battleship museums and more carriers.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

which anime personification of the remaining 4 battleships has the biggest tiddy?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Well that was a nail-biter. I see Vanguard is keeping up the fine British tradition of going out in the semi-finals.

I really can't see Richelieu having a chance against Yamato though. Van/Yamato would be a fine contender for an exhibition match to see if her incredible long-range accuracy could have swung it, but Rich...eeeh. It would be a spectacular upset (but who doesn't love those?)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It's probably worth remembering that battleships were big ticket prestige items and as such every time it was necessary to name one expect a minor political knifefight over what, where, or who it's named after.

I could see someone conceding that a battleship be named after a landlocked state in exchange for their senators' support somewhere else.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 6, 2022

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Tomn posted:

It's probably worth remembering that battleships were big ticket prestige items and as such every time it was necessary to name one expect a minor political knifefight over what, where, or who it's named after.

I could see someone conceding that a battleship be named after a landlocked state in exchange for their senators' support somewhere else.

There's also more battleships than there are coastal states.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

The state. Cruisers got city names. And the "I don't even know what this is because we're insistently not calling it a battlecruiser"s known as the Alaska-class got the compromise with territories.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

Well that was a nail-biter. I see Vanguard is keeping up the fine British tradition of going out in the semi-finals.

I really can't see Richelieu having a chance against Yamato though. Van/Yamato would be a fine contender for an exhibition match to see if her incredible long-range accuracy could have swung it, but Rich...eeeh. It would be a spectacular upset (but who doesn't love those?)

Unlikely that vanguard would do enough damage at range seeing as it wanted to close vs. Rich which is significantly less well protected asap.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
Can you model the Montana-class? If so the tournament winner should have to fight one.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Lord Koth posted:

Discounting Hawaii and Alaska (since they were both territories when we were still building battleships) there's literally only one state that never had a battleship carry its name - Montana, which got screwed over not once but twice. Its name was slated for the Montana-class (obviously), but it was also one of the names selected for the cancelled South Dakota(1920)-class.

They are finally going to have a ship named after them soon, USS Montana (SSN-794) is supposed to be commissioned this year, and a Virginia class is probably the closest thing other than maybe a carrier to battleships we have these days. (I don't count SSBNs as being similar to battleships.)

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Lord Koth posted:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

which anime personification of the remaining 4 battleships has the biggest tiddy?

See, you asking this made me go and look it up. Now I know there are THREE major anime personification of battleship franchises out there.

Iowa seems to be the winner in all three, for the record. Richelieu, Yamato and South Dakota each have an "endowed," variant out of the three versions while their other two are more slender, but Iowa is universally Big Tiddy American Girl and seemingly "outclasses," each of these competitors.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Sanguinia posted:

See, you asking this made me go and look it up. Now I know there are THREE major anime personification of battleship franchises out there.

Iowa seems to be the winner in all three, for the record. Richelieu, Yamato and South Dakota each have an "endowed," variant out of the three versions while their other two are more slender, but Iowa is universally Big Tiddy American Girl and seemingly "outclasses," each of these competitors.

i don't use the word 'hero' very often, but you are the greatest hero in American history :911:

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Corn fed battleship next door…

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Difficult question as there's two fleet girl games.

e: Beaten by Sanguinia.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I thought you weirdos were joking about anime battleship girls but no and honestly I'm not sure why I even bothered questioning it

:negative:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Sanguinia posted:

Trap sprung, etc etc.

What’s the third? I know KanColle (Kantai Collection, the original Japanese one that led to the whole shipgirl/kanmusu thing getting popular and staying there, as evidenced by how many circles still make their doujin at Comiket, and who originally focused almost entirely on Japanese botes before branching out to Axis and later Allied shipgirls) and Azur Lane (the Chinese competitor who is arguably more popular now, and gaining again based off of Comiket numbers, and focuses more on botes from all the major WWII combatants), but I’m unaware of the third.

Iowa also talks with an Engrish accent in KanColle as fitting the first major American bote to get a kanmusu form and has a crop top for whatever reason. Yamato is the standard Japanese Yamato Nadeshiko (as fitting) that I’m aware of though, and her parasol makes her look really cute.

Also, glad I caught up with this thread. A lot of good bote action to watch and can’t wait for the finals.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 6, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I assume crop tops are widely seen as American.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Sanguinia posted:

You are a true hero. Also, man, I looked up the Iowa versions and damned if that isn't one big tiddy battleship waifu.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

GhostStalker posted:

Trap sprung, etc etc.

What’s the third? I know KanColle (Kantai Collection, the original Japanese one that led to the whole shipgirl/kanmusu thing getting popular and staying there, as evidenced by how many circles still make their doujin at Comiket, and who originally focused almost entirely on Japanese botes before branching out to Axis and later Allied shipgirls) and Azur Lane (the Chinese competitor who is arguably more popular now, and gaining again based off of Comiket numbers, and focuses more on botes from all the major WWII combatants), but I’m unaware of the third.

Iowa also talks with an Engrish accent in KanColle as fitting the first major American bote to get a kanmusu form and has a crop top for whatever reason. Yamato is the standard Japanese Yamato Nadeshiko (as fitting) that I’m aware of though, and her parasol makes her look really cute.

Also, glad I caught up with this thread. A lot of good bote action to watch and can’t wait for the finals.

It was called Warship Girls R. I hadn't heard of it but it was right there with the other two when I googled "battleship anime girl"

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Sanguinia posted:

It was called Warship Girls R. I hadn't heard of it but it was right there with the other two when I googled "battleship anime girl"

Sounds like another cheap Chinese cash in. Azur Lane already has that niche and is much more popular, so I doubt they’ll get all that far.

For those unaware of Iowa’s KanColle form (she doesn’t have an official Azur Lane representation yet), here:

For comparison, here’s Yamato (voiced by Taketatsu Ayana; most well known as Azusa from K-On, Kirino from OreImo, Suguha from SAO, and Nino from the Quintessential Quintuplets, if you know Japanese seiyuu):

Richelieu also seems to have been added to KanColle since I last checked in on it years ago:

For completeness’ sake, here’s SoDak, who also seems to have been added since I stopped keeping up with KanColle:

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 6, 2022

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Richelieu is flat. #battleships

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Sounds like another cheap Chinese cash in. Azur Lane already has that niche and is much more popular, so I doubt they’ll get all that far.

I'm going to go with "you're correct."

Though apparently it lasted 3 years, so certainly not the worst mobile ripoff out there. Also, glancing at the Google sidebar description, it was a CCG?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
anyone who posts anime in this thread should be forced to go scape rust off and paint their nearest museum ship until they've learned their lesson

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

I'm going to go with "you're correct."

Though apparently it lasted 3 years, so certainly not the worst mobile ripoff out there. Also, glancing at the Google sidebar description, it was a CCG?

Sounds about right.

The CCG aspect might be because it was easier than saying it’s a gacha type strategy simulation game like KanColle is, since all your botes are represented by “cards” in both games, and in the latter, after you set your formation and send your fleet out, what happens to them winds up being pretty much down to RNG. Warship Girls is said to be a Chinese cash in clone of KanColle, so I wouldn’t be surprised if their gameplay is similar.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

anyone who posts anime in this thread should be forced to go scape rust off and paint their nearest museum ship until they've learned their lesson

:negative: What have I done, I'm so sorry.

Azure Lane South Dakota is super cool, I hope she beats Iowa now

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I love the ?? in some of the beginning shots, it's like the ship is saying "What the gently caress am I seeing...?!"

Also, on board the Richelieu train, South Dakota inferior, bring on NoDak.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

GhostStalker posted:

Trap sprung, etc etc.

What

GhostStalker posted:

For those unaware of Iowa’s KanColle form (she doesn’t have an official Azur Lane representation yet), here:

For comparison, here’s Yamato (voiced by Taketatsu Ayana; most well known as Azusa from K-On, Kirino from OreImo, Suguha from SAO, and Nino from the Quintessential Quintuplets, if you know Japanese seiyuu):

Richelieu also seems to have been added to KanColle since I last checked in on it years ago:

For completeness’ sake, here’s SoDak, who also seems to have been added since I stopped keeping up with KanColle:

They aren't even boats! That could be any generic battlesuit anime!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

ilmucche posted:

What

They aren't even boats! That could be any generic battlesuit anime!

You can't masturbate to ships

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No, that's not "super cool" in the slightest

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

pthighs posted:

I love the ?? in some of the beginning shots, it's like the ship is saying "What the gently caress am I seeing...?!"

Also, on board the Richelieu train, South Dakota inferior, bring on NoDak.

What are some of the other things that pop up? The BB and stuff?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

What are some of the other things that pop up? The BB and stuff?

BB is the (US) abbreviation for battleship. I think pre-dreadnought battleships were just plain Bs, BB was introduced after the dreadnought.

DD is destroyer, CA is a regular cruiser and CL is light cruiser. The history of ship abbreviations is long and complicated.

These are part of the official ship designations - Iowa is BB61 for example.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

pthighs posted:

BB is the (US) abbreviation for battleship. I think pre-dreadnought battleships were just plain Bs, BB was introduced after the dreadnought.

DD is destroyer, CA is a regular cruiser and CL is light cruiser. The history of ship abbreviations is long and complicated.

These are part of the official ship designations - Iowa is BB61 for example.

Isn’t CA from Cruiser, Armored? It’s the same reason why an Aircraft Carrier is a CV: it’s a Cruiser, Voler, which means flying in French, because the original Carriers were built on Cruiser hulls. And now we have CVNs, which are CVs, but nuclear.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 6, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The generic system is based on the USN practice, in which the second letter indicates a subtype, and is doubled for the base type.

CA = Cruiser, Armored
CB = Cruiser, Big
CC = Cruiser (Original designation of the Lexington-class Battlecruisers)
CL = Cruiser, Light
CV = Cruiser, aViation

BB = Battleship
DD = Destroyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I can't be the only one that thought CV was short for Carrier Vessel