Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm just gonna post this again

quote:

Unlike the traditional startup world, it frees founders from judgments of their physical appearance, where they went to school, and their social class, gender, or race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:toot:
https://twitter.com/itchio/status/1490141815294414856

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

the context on that tweet is that the gumroad (an indie self-publishing site) CEO who has his own crypto coin decided to use the company twitter account to tweet about how they're not doing NFTs "yet" and make it clear that the social media team who then had to clear up his mess are not paid enough
https://twitter.com/gumroad/status/1489978377276575745

also maybe violated his company's own privacy policy by pulling up someone's history on the site using their twitter email in this now deleted tweet

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
lol that site that was making nfts of album art or something by scraping spotify's site is now just this

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

privacy policies are made up and the bullet points don't matter

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

yeah we were trying to profit off of other peoples work but now that it's done and you're all mad, let's talk about it and see if we can work something out :)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You are so underselling the Gumroad meltdown. The CEO runs their twitter account. This morning they did a wishy-washy "no plans" statement and one of their employees blew the dude up with an internal slack screenshot:
https://twitter.com/boxbrown/status/1489859881779838980

(Sahil is the CEO.)

This is what sent him into meltdown with the privacy violation tweets, attacking ex- and current staff who confirmed the logs were real, and eventually going "boy I should have sent all these from my personal account huh! egg on my face" and destroying the loving brand as multiple competitors went "hard no on NFTs dog". A lot has been deleted now but I can grab some threads of screenshots if anyone really needs more of this

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boxturret posted:

lol that site that was making nfts of album art or something by scraping spotify's site is now just this

i still can't get over the name "hitpiece"

like the thing you plant in a newspaper to defame a political opponent

smearjobcoinnft dao, coming to a blockchain near you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i loving love companies starting conversations and listening to feedback!! god drat!!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like it is genuinely loving funny to me that every single one of these companies' PR teams thinks the correct response to the totally unexpected and utterly confusing public outrage that they couldn't have possibly seen coming is "we're carefully listening to your valuable feedback", like it's just some innate instinct they have to react that way

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

it's babby's first pr playbook. acknowledge that you're listening, right off the bat.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fraiser NFTs? I'm listening

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

if only they were such attentive listeners to all the other reactions to nfts, they might have noticed a subtle pattern

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Agile Vector posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boxturret posted:

if only they were such attentive listeners to all the other reactions to nfts, they might have noticed a subtle pattern

but our fans love us! ours will be different!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

people keep rejecting nfts en masse, that means there's a gap in the market! if our nft succeeds we'll be rich!!!

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I’ve been busy watching my city get besieged by CHUDs is bitcoin still crashing? are there any bag holders bemoaning their fate on twitter? I could use a laugh

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i think one of the stable coins that wasn't teather miraculously found a few billion dollars in the couch cushions and stopped the crash for now, sadly

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Agile Vector posted:

Niles this is the worst idea you've ever had!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i miss the days before tethers, when the defense was in fake buy / sell order "walls" that would mysteriously vanish if the price reached them

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I was going to make a joke about someone should create thisnftdoesnotexist.com, but of course it already exists and as far as I can tell it's run by true believers. it is impossible to satirise cryptocurrency and nfts

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Hammerite posted:

it is impossible to satirise cryptocurrency and nfts

this fact makes me so sad

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/tritlo/status/1489198914624442371

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

at last, the blockchain has solved the age-old problem of two wrongs not making a right

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I was confusing gumtree (classified ads type site) with gumroad lol. though I like how Google now suggests "gumroad" to "gumroad twitter ceo"

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

so they used == when they should have used &&? :lol:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Midjack posted:

it's babby's first pr playbook. acknowledge that you're listening, right off the bat.

Maybe there should be some other playbook people can follow to make sure they never make a stupid unforced error and have to open the PR playbook?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

this time, though, will be different!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
found this one on "web3 is going just great," but i think this was my favorite part
https://www.reddit.com/r/defi/comments/skqvit/i_just_lost_over_35k_to_scammers_beware_out_there/

quote:

The worst is, I was unemployed and literally solely yield farming to hedge my student loan. I deposited almost the same amount of my debt, and was leveraging the fact that the return I was getting was higher than my loan's APR. While trying to earn $8-9 more, I lost $35k and my financial freedom.

that's... not how hedging works.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hedging's where you get really close to paying something off but then stop before you do to increase the anticipation of actually paying, right?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-60281129

UN says North Korea funded it's recent missiles with stolen bootycoin

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
good thing that after everyone has figured out that nfts are scams we have collectively decided to run this poo poo into the ground anyways and beat the dead horse with a molten rod at the center of the earth

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

HappyHippo posted:

found this one on "web3 is going just great," but i think this was my favorite part
https://www.reddit.com/r/defi/comments/skqvit/i_just_lost_over_35k_to_scammers_beware_out_there/

I… what? is he saying he put his student loan money into crypto or he had an equivalent in cash he put into crypto instead of just paying off the debt or not taking it out at all?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

fins posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-60281129

UN says North Korea funded it's recent missiles with stolen bootycoin
Maybe this is what gets exchanges shut down since ransomware bricking hospitals and pipelines wasn't enough. Or I'm wrong and insurance companies will get rich off Kim's missile program too.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Like 99% sure he was gambling his student loan on crypto

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

love to leverage facts

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
i'm not clicking the link but i'm 100% sure he was "stable"coin farming on defi with his student loan money since hey free money

people are also doing the opposite and using defi loans to pay off student loans to avoid having to sell crypto https://twitter.com/swaglord__420/status/1439654640014999553

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tradfi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
thank god defi finally got rid of all the middlemen and transaction fees