Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

settling a bet

I bet my friend 75 dollars that Nickelodeon was named after Nick Cannon. Internet has different answers. No job right now so 75 is quite a lot for me. Can anyone settle definitively what the answer is?

10 points for first answer with proof.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Bbq derail, I started visiting Georgia regularly for work last year, and was really disappointed that I guess Georgia isn't southern enough to have much BBQ?

I’ve never been there but Fox Bros in Atlanta has come up in friend chats. I’m on west coast though so I haven’t had reason to visit yet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Antioch posted:

A Kentucky friend once told me Alabama BBQ was "roadkill cooked in a truck bed served on a hubcap" and I've never found reason to challenge that.

I'm also gonna go on record to say that mayonnaise belongs nowhere near barbecue.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Bbq derail, I started visiting Georgia regularly for work last year, and was really disappointed that I guess Georgia isn't southern enough to have much BBQ?

The really good places aren’t really publicized well and are kind of in the middle of nowhere or attached to an AME church. You just have to know they’re there. You’re looking for somewhere that serves it naked with sauce on the side.

Of course, if you put that thick sweet style sauce on it, the meat doesn’t really matter. Vinegar sauce is the true accompaniment.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Circle all of the examples of BWM:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im starting at using the imperial measurement system and then radiating out from there

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
i'm HODLing

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

quote:

settling a bet

I bet my friend 75 dollars that Nickelodeon was named after Nick Cannon. Internet has different answers. No job right now so 75 is quite a lot for me. Can anyone settle definitively what the answer is?

10 points for first answer with proof.

Thanks.

nick cannon lmao

to be fair i guess if you're that young and/or stupid you wouldn't know what a nickelodeon is.. like its just a compound word

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Strong Sauce posted:

nick cannon lmao

to be fair i guess if you're that young and/or stupid you wouldn't know what a nickelodeon is.. like its just a compound word

Nick cannon + L.amar O.dom + Deion Sanders

:beck: it all makes sense!!!

waffy
Oct 31, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

nick cannon lmao

This has got to be one of my favorite BWM stories for how simple and silly it is. Even if you didn’t know the prior meaning of the word, 30 seconds of Wikipedia would tell you that the channel started before Nick Cannon was even born. Something tells me that wouldn’t qualify as “proof” to them, though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

smackfu posted:

Is the idea that the hotels have vacant rooms between checkin and checkout times that could be monetized?
I'm not any kind of hospitality expert, but I don't think so, I think it's more of "if nobody's booked for overnight, maybe we could at least get someone in for less for the day." Some sketchier places base their whole business on it, though.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

waffy posted:

This has got to be one of my favorite BWM stories for how simple and silly it is. Even if you didn’t know the prior meaning of the word, 30 seconds of Wikipedia would tell you that the channel started before Nick Cannon was even born. Something tells me that wouldn’t qualify as “proof” to them, though.

So what you're saying is Nick Cannon was named for the channel and not the other way around.....

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not any kind of hospitality expert, but I don't think so, I think it's more of "if nobody's booked for overnight, maybe we could at least get someone in for less for the day." Some sketchier places base their whole business on it, though.

They generally wouldn't try to turn over a room twice in one day. The housekeepers do almost all of their work from about 0900-1600 most places and after that any emergencies are handled by other staff.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

What part of the state were you in?

Georgia really doesn't have have signature BBQ. Half the places go for vinegar-based, half don't.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Messed up and co-signed a bail bond. He ran.

quote:

I very stupidly helped an old friend bail her boyfriend out of jail. I happened to be back in town that weekend and she called me and said she didn't have a full time job so they wouldn't approve her to co-sign but she had all of the money up front, wanted him out for Christmas, promised up and down that she and his family would make sure he was there at court dates, and she's typically been trustworthy in the past. I agreed and met up with her and the bail bonds people and the guy's stepmom, signed paperwork,etc. I didn't realize until I got there how much I was risking but felt like I couldn't back out, everyone was there, so I trusted her and signed and they broke up not long after Christmas, he missed his court date, and now they're looking for him. They say he was in handcuffs at one point and got away, then his family asked for a week to get him there because they didn't want cops poking around because they apparently have some illegal business, and now he's just gone again. Is there anything more I can do to not have to pay this money? I realize I'm responsible here, I agreed, but it's $28,000 (I thought they said 20K when I signed.) And does anybody know how payment works? Can I make a monthly payment? Any other advice besides the obvious not to be an overly trusting idiot?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Nocheez posted:

You should be happy anyone in Alabama can read and write in any capacity.

Wasn't Alabama's whole catchphrase something like "at least we're not Mississippi"?

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

There is but there is a weird inverse logarithmic relationship to population and quality. The more zeroes in a town's population the farther out you have to drive to find decent BBQ.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wasn't Alabama's whole catchphrase something like "at least we're not Mississippi"?

Yup. This came up when that dude lost the republican senate race because he was a pedophile.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

therobit posted:

Messed up and co-signed a bail bond. He ran.

Isn't the whole point of a bail bond that you're only liable for 10% or so of the bail instead of the full amount? Like isn't what happened the risk the bail bondsman signed up for?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I always though you had to PAY 10% in order for the bondsman to take the risk for the other 90%. Luckily I never had to find out personally.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Sounds like someone just needs to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and become a bounty hunter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn't the whole point of a bail bond that you're only liable for 10% or so of the bail instead of the full amount? Like isn't what happened the risk the bail bondsman signed up for?

You pay 10% and the bail bond company covers the rest. If you bailee jumps you can expect the bail bond company is gonna want the 90% you owe or the person to show up in court.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

JnnyThndrs posted:

I always though you had to PAY 10% in order for the bondsman to take the risk for the other 90%. Luckily I never had to find out personally.

Correct, at least in my state. You pay the 10% up front to the bondsman and it's gone forever even if you show up for all court appearances.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

A bail bondsman is a licensed professional. This is just an idiot who cosigned the bond agreement because the arrestee didn't have the resources or didn't want to put up their own resources to post bail.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Boyfriends are free why would you pay for one?

Boyfriend Without Money

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup. This came up when that dude lost the republican senate race because he was a pedophile.

Uhh, I think you meant to say nearly won the senate race, despite being a pedophile. Doug Jones, the democrat winner of the race got 50% of the vote and pedo Roy Moore got 48%.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Uhh, I think you meant to say nearly won the senate race, despite being a pedophile. Doug Jones, the democrat winner of the race got 50% of the vote and pedo Roy Moore got 48%.

A rare case of an candidate's interests being aligned with those of the people he hopes to represent.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_God_for_Mississippi

quote:

"Thank God for Mississippi" is an adage used in the United States, particularly in the South, that is generally used when discussing rankings of U.S. states. Since the U.S. state of Mississippi commonly ranks at or near the bottom of such rankings, residents of other states also ranking near the bottom may say, "Thank God for Mississippi," since the presence of that state in 50th place spares them the shame of being ranked last.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some second degree acquaintance is heavily into crypto, but considering everything went down the shitter currently, he's looking for other opportunities to lure people into, to cash out on acquisition premiums (or some poo poo). He's been yapping a whole lot about something called The View (this bullshit: https://successfactory.com/the-view), which is something "virtual vacations" or whatever the gently caress. He's been fantasizing a whole lot of bullshit regarding that topic, about how VR is the next huge step humanity will do, going on tangents you'd expect from 12 year olds getting excited about something new, etc yadda yadda. Until I eventually shut him up asking about actually owning a VR headset, to which, after some awkward pause, he replied no.

What the gently caress is wrong with these people?!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Some second degree acquaintance is heavily into crypto, but considering everything went down the shitter currently, he's looking for other opportunities to lure people into, to cash out on acquisition premiums (or some poo poo). He's been yapping a whole lot about something called The View (this bullshit: https://successfactory.com/the-view), which is something "virtual vacations" or whatever the gently caress. He's been fantasizing a whole lot of bullshit regarding that topic, about how VR is the next huge step humanity will do, going on tangents you'd expect from 12 year olds getting excited about something new, etc yadda yadda. Until I eventually shut him up asking about actually owning a VR headset, to which, after some awkward pause, he replied no.

What the gently caress is wrong with these people?!

It's business brain wherein you don't have to actually know anything about the product to make money from hawking it. For example, in colonial Europe it was often considered uncouth for a trader to visit the warehouses holding the goods he bought and sold.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

do these virtual vacations at least allow me to become a Martian secret agent?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phil Ochs pulled no punches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7fgB0m_y2I

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

lmao, jesus.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

How much is that?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

lol at the word salad on their website, just slap some words down and put a "Popular" banner on it

~Mininimazed Software~

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

greazeball posted:

lol at the word salad on their website, just slap some words down and put a "Popular" banner on it

~Mininimazed Software~

It's impressive how many words they can use to say nothing

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's impressive just how unclearly they describe what it is they do? Are they a trading platform? Do they have their own coin? Are they advisors? Is it a school? Is it free? Do you buy something? Do they get a commission?

Ahhhh it's a pyramid scheme

At least they're a professional outfit (the CTO founded "another startup", so you know he's good) and not just copy pasting whatever they can on as many pages as possible

Hmmm, well I'm sure you can just cancel your "membership" (still haven't found a price) anyti-

Their Ts & Cs, Risk disclosure and Distribution condition docs are all worth a look.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Animal posted:

How much is that?
That'd require me to ask the guy, and I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

What part of the state were you in?

Georgia really doesn't have have signature BBQ. Half the places go for vinegar-based, half don't.

Atlanta, so possibly too populated I guess.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Take yourself out to Bogart and get some Fresh Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Crypto is BWM (buying warlords missiles)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60281129